I QUIT!

sullysue

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 3 2008, 10:15 AM)
As of December 24, 2007 I have been smoke free (4 years total).

I still get an urge every once in awhile, but the urges pass and don't last long at all. Knowing that I have quit for as long as I have keeps me from lighting up again.

I remember when I did quit at first, it seemed that everybody was smoking.

That's awesome, CT! I can't wait until I can say that.

I know what you mean about thinking everyone is smoking. It's only been a few days, but everywhere I go people are lighting up. Yesterday, I had the urge to smack the cigarette out of this lady's hand and and yell, "Stop that!" I'll be one of those annoying ex-smokers. laugh.gif

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 3 2008, 10:42 AM)
Sue, if you dont mind. This is my testimony for quiting smoking...

It will be 20 years this year that i stopped smoking. I smoked for 12 years(a pack a day) and i thought i would never quit but what finally did it for me was the strong desire to be a better vocalist. I quit in July of 1988, right after the 4th of July weekend. For me it was torture, and back then cold turkey was one of the only ways to go.
My Father kept asking me every few days, "are you still not smoking ?" When i would tell him yes he smiled in approval.
About a month later, on August 12th, i had a near fatal car accident which left me with a broken arm, and a disslocated Shoulder. The driver was in critical condition with a crushed pelvis and internal bleeding. I was 2 hours from home in a hospital and very misserable. I wanted a cigarette badly, and had a pretty good excuse to have one but i did not give in.
The next day my father, who had been in remission for an illness for 8 years drove to Massachusetts to bring me home. Well, having a strained relationship with my dad most of my life, this mean't alot to me.
Apparently he was feeling quite ill on this day but made the trip anyhow. The following day, my dad was coughing up lots of blood and was rushed to the hospital. There was nothing they could do as he had lost too much blood. He passed away the day after my accident.
I was in a state of shock as this was all too much to process in such a short span of time. Again i wanted to light up and say f**k it, at this point who cares about quiting. I did not light up, in fact everyday from that point on it was about never smoking again as a tribute to my father cause he was so proud that i quit.
Its been 20 years this year and this August im sure i will think about my dad, and the help he gave me quiting smoking.

God, no I don't mind. That's a very inspirational (but sad. I'm sorry about your dad) story. I, too, want my singing voice back. Right now I sound like Rob Zombie when I sing. laugh.gif

I felt dizzy for the longest time after I quit smoking. I felt like I was going to float away. Do any of you who have recently been trying to quit feel that way at all?

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 3 2008, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 3 2008, 10:37 AM)
http://cancer.about.com/b/a/100_2142.jpg

Actually, that made me want a cigarette. angry.gif

*breathe deep* *breathe deep*

All better. smile.gif

Stay out of here, please. biggrin.gif

sorry.

All better. smile.gif

Delet the photo form your post. I deleted it from mine.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 3 2008, 10:53 AM)

All better. smile.gif

sorry.

I'm teasing you. Don't be so silly.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 3 2008, 05:51 PM)
I felt dizzy for the longest time after I quit smoking. I felt like I was going to float away. Do any of you who have recently been trying to quit feel that way at all?

unsure.gif

I always feel dizzy...thought that was normal? confused13.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

f**k no, I don't feel dizzy. I do feel lots better in an amazingly short amount of time though.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 3 2008, 05:42 PM)
Sue, if you dont mind. This is my testimony for quiting smoking...

It will be 20 years this year that i stopped smoking. I smoked for 12 years(a pack a day) and i thought i would never quit but what finally did it for me was the strong desire to be a better vocalist. I quit in July of 1988, right after the 4th of July weekend. For me it was torture, and back then cold turkey was one of the only ways to go.
My Father kept asking me every few days, "are you still not smoking ?" When i would tell him yes he smiled in approval.
About a month later, on August 12th, i had a near fatal car accident which left me with a broken arm, and a disslocated Shoulder. The driver was in critical condition with a crushed pelvis and internal bleeding. I was 2 hours from home in a hospital and very misserable. I wanted a cigarette badly, and had a pretty good excuse to have one but i did not give in.
The next day my father, who had been in remission for an illness for 8 years drove to Massachusetts to bring me home. Well, having a strained relationship with my dad most of my life, this mean't alot to me.
Apparently he was feeling quite ill on this day but made the trip anyhow. The following day, my dad was coughing up lots of blood and was rushed to the hospital. There was nothing they could do as he had lost too much blood. He passed away the day after my accident.
I was in a state of shock as this was all too much to process in such a short span of time. Again i wanted to light up and say f**k it, at this point who cares about quiting. I did not light up, in fact everyday from that point on it was about never smoking again as a tribute to my father cause he was so proud that i quit.
Its been 20 years this year and this August im sure i will think about my dad, and the help he gave me quiting smoking.

hug2.gif

goodpost.gif

Don't you hate how people always say "Oh think of all the extra cash you'll have!"

I never seem to find that extra cash angry.gif

When you smoke and don't have a lot of moneys, you do without some stuff so you can get your pack o' gays.

b_sigh.gif I'll miss saying "I'm going out for a gay." Or "I've got a gay in my mouth"

Oh hell and tarnation with this damn forum monitoring system angry.gif

It's F A G .

Nuthin wrong with it eh??

Sounds a lot sillier the other way so I'm leaving it that way so whoever did that can see the silliness tongue.gif

Edited by Mrs. Huck Rogers

I haven't felt dizzy since quitting. But, I have had dizzy spells while I was smoking. Heart palpitations, too. I've been told those aren't related to smoking, but it's scary. Sometimes I've felt as though my heart is going to jump right out of my chest.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jan 3 2008, 11:08 AM)
Don't you hate how people always say "Oh think of all the extra cash you'll have!"

I never seem to find that extra cash angry.gif

When you smoke and don't have a lot of moneys, you do without some stuff so you can get your pack o' gays.

b_sigh.gif I'll miss saying "I'm going out for a gay." Or "I've got a gay in my mouth"

Oh hell and tarnation with this damn forum monitoring system angry.gif

It's F A G .

Nuthin wrong with it eh??

Sounds a lot sillier the other way so I'm leaving it that way so whoever did that can see the silliness tongue.gif

Either way you say it, it makes me laugh. rofl3.gif

I always hated it when people would say "when I kiss him, it's like kissing an ashtray".

Have you ever kissed an ashtray before in order to make the comparison?

There is a certain pride in going to restaurants and asking for the "no smoking" section nowadays. The better seats were always in the no-smoking section.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 3 2008, 11:37 AM)
I always hated it when people would say "when I kiss him, it's like kissing an ashtray".

There is a certain pride in going to restaurants and asking for the "no smoking" section nowadays. The better seats were always in the no-smoking section.

I would ask for non-smoking when I did smoke. I was one of those picky smokers. I hated the smell of it on my hands and clothes and in my hair. And, I REALLY hated smoke around me when I ate. It was just the physical addiction that kept me smoking for almost 20 years. I don't think this is going to be too hard, but I'm not going to set myself up for failure, either. I'm going into this realistically. I may cave in, but that doesn't mean I have to go back to the habit.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 3 2008, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 3 2008, 11:37 AM)

I would ask for non-smoking when I did smoke. I was one of those picky smokers. I hated the smell of it on my hands and clothes and in my hair. And, I REALLY hated smoke around me when I ate. It was just the physical addiction that kept me smoking for almost 20 years. I don't think this is going to be too hard, but I'm not going to set myself up for failure, either. I'm going into this realistically. I may cave in, but that doesn't mean I have to go back to the habit.

I quit cold turkey, but it took a few tries before I was successfully able to do it.

(Quitting is hell)

Monday I'm putting off sweets, and Sodas.

I am weigh 240.....probably closer to 250 now that the holidays are over (I haven't got on the scale since before Christmas).

Anyhoo, I am going to try and excersise more, and loose some weight. I am not ridicoulsly overwiight but If I can get back down to 200 That would be just great!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 3 2008, 11:54 AM)
Monday I'm putting off sweets, and Sodas.

I am weigh 240.....probably closer to 250 now that the holidays are over (I haven't got on the scale since before Christmas).

Anyhoo, I am going to try and excersise more, and loose some weight. I am not ridicoulsly overwiight but If I can get back down to 200 That would be just great!

You can do it! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 3 2008, 12:49 PM)
In a lot of places, there is no choice anymore. NY, CA are smoke free, as is NJ and DE, and soon, PA will be. Makes it easier for some of those quitting...

Raleigh Durham airport has just banned it inside the terminals. Smoking is only allowed outdoors and 50 feet away from entrances.

Public buildings, for the most part, no longer have smoking sections. I'm not sure about restaurants yet.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 3 2008, 07:34 AM)
OK. I'm a few days late on this, but I said I was going to start a support thread for those who want to quit smoking. So, here we go. But, this is for whatever you're trying to give up. If you're trying to quit drinking, over-eating, procrastinating ( unsure.gif ), I think having a good, strong source of support is the way to go. And, I can't think of a better place online than TRF.

I had my last cigarette at five 'til midnight on December 31. I started on Chantix that evening to help me, and it's really working. Aside from the bizarre dreams, I'm not experiencing any big side effects and I honestly do not want a cigarette badly enough to cave in. When I feel the urge, I just take a few deep breaths, and the craving goes away.

My big fear is that when I start back to school next Tuesday, I'll go nuts! Everyone there smokes. So, ya'll might find me frantically posting for help every once in a while. scared.gif So far, so good, though. smile.gif

Anyway, I'm here for you guys. I know you're there for me.

Took me 5 minutes to start and 10 years to quit. Just drop 'em. If you find the

patch is strong cut them to make them last longer. Psychologically, it helped me quit.

Coffee doesn't help either. GOOD LUCK< SAVE YOU LIFE!

For those of you wanting to quit smoking but are having a tough time, might I suggest Chantix. I started smoking at 18, and quit at 33, then started again at 38. Last year I wanted to quit again, but had a tough time. Friends suggested Chantix, and it really worked, and still does to this day. I do remote broadcasts on the radio in smokey bars and have no cravings and no desire to have a smoke.

Listen, the first step is you have to want to quit. Once you decide that, if you are a heavier smoker like I was, try Chantix, because it really works!

And no, I'm not a paid endorser of it.

You can do it!