I QUIT!

sullysue

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (blonde77th @ Jan 28 2010, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 27 2010, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 27 2010, 12:39 PM)
ohmy.gif  342

BRAVO!!!

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks.... wub.gif

347...almost, almost....

QUOTE (owlswing @ Feb 1 2010, 09:39 AM)
ohmy.gif  342

BRAVO!!!

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

Thanks.... wub.gif

347...almost, almost....

nice D !!!!!

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 2 2010, 03:59 PM)
ohmy.gif  342

BRAVO!!!

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

Thanks.... wub.gif

347...almost, almost....

nice D !!!!!

wub.gif

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Feb 2 2010, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 2 2010, 03:59 PM)
ohmy.gif  342

BRAVO!!!

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

Thanks.... wub.gif

347...almost, almost....

nice D !!!!!

wub.gif

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

1022.gif You 1022.gif GO 1022.gif GIRL trink39.gif

I may need this thread (and your support) soon.

I'm very worried about my health these days. I sometimes go for days where I'm convinced I'll have a stroke or heart attack at any minute. I was planning on quitting yesterday (my birthday, and a payday), planning on buying Nicoret gum instead of a carton, but I'm holding off for a little while before setting a quit date. You see...

My wife suggested I speak to my physician before quitting... and maybe a psychiatrist. Seriously! I usually get very depressed when I quit. It's like the death of a friend (only this "friend" is trying to kill you).

I'm really seeing this the same way as heroin. It's actually harder to quit nicotine, and has a bigger relapse rate. We do it every 20-minutes or so, like junkies, and it's killing us. Plus, smoking in front of my two small children, I feel it's just as damaging to them to see me smoking as it would be to see me shooting up. ohmy.gif Smoking is disgusting.

Anyway. The soonest my physician can see me is mid-March. I'll be back in touch then. Stay strong, quitters! You've got a good "winning streak" going; don't break it!

BTW, last time I quit I found a BB for quitters which was very good. In addition to letting you post and talk to other quitters, it kept track of how much time had passed since your last one, how much money you'd saved to date, and how much time you'd added to your life by giving it up. I'll try to find that board again.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 4 2010, 07:12 PM)

I'm very worried about my health these days.  I sometimes go for days where I'm convinced I'll have a stroke or heart attack at any minute.  I was planning on quitting yesterday (my birthday, and a payday), planning on buying Nicoret gum instead of a carton, but I'm holding off for a little while before setting a quit date.  You see...

My wife suggested I speak to my physician before quitting... and maybe a psychiatrist.  Seriously!  I usually get very depressed when I quit.  It's like the death of a friend (only this "friend" is trying to kill you).

I'm really seeing this the same way as heroin.  It's actually harder to quit nicotine, and has a bigger relapse rate.  We do it every 20-minutes or so, like junkies, and it's killing us.  Plus, smoking in front of my two small children, I feel it's just as damaging to them to see me smoking as it would be to see me shooting up.  ohmy.gif  Smoking is disgusting.

Anyway.  The soonest my physician can see me is mid-March.  I'll be back in touch then.  Stay strong, quitters!  You've got a good "winning streak" going; don't break it!

BTW, last time I quit I found a BB for quitters which was very good.  In addition to letting you post and  talk to other quitters, it kept track of how much time had passed since your last one, how much money you'd saved to date, and how much time you'd added to your life by giving it up.  I'll try to find that board again.

i like the gum idea yes.gif not the psychiatrist idea no.gif

don't get me wrong, i know you'll go through a phase of head-trips. but they will pass.

the gum you can control yourself....how much and when.

but prescription meds have too many unpredictable side effects that you can't just quit outright and don't wear off quickly.

somebody said something really smart to me once

that i will offer to anyone that wants to quit.

"the urge to have a cigarette will be there whether you actually smoke one or not."

good luck, man. cheer.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 4 2010, 09:12 PM)

I'm very worried about my health these days. I sometimes go for days where I'm convinced I'll have a stroke or heart attack at any minute. I was planning on quitting yesterday (my birthday, and a payday), planning on buying Nicoret gum instead of a carton, but I'm holding off for a little while before setting a quit date. You see...

My wife suggested I speak to my physician before quitting... and maybe a psychiatrist. Seriously! I usually get very depressed when I quit. It's like the death of a friend (only this "friend" is trying to kill you).

I'm really seeing this the same way as heroin. It's actually harder to quit nicotine, and has a bigger relapse rate. We do it every 20-minutes or so, like junkies, and it's killing us. Plus, smoking in front of my two small children, I feel it's just as damaging to them to see me smoking as it would be to see me shooting up. ohmy.gif Smoking is disgusting.

Anyway. The soonest my physician can see me is mid-March. I'll be back in touch then. Stay strong, quitters! You've got a good "winning streak" going; don't break it!

BTW, last time I quit I found a BB for quitters which was very good. In addition to letting you post and talk to other quitters, it kept track of how much time had passed since your last one, how much money you'd saved to date, and how much time you'd added to your life by giving it up. I'll try to find that board again.

Good luck, seriously. You can do it, just take it one day at a time. I just quit after a bout with pneumonia last month. It's a scary feeling not being able to breath normally or catch your breath, along with coughing, hacking. I've smoked the better part of my life and quit on a few occasions, but kept backsliding. It's been 3 weeks but I'm trying not to think of it like I'm missing out. I know how strong the addiction is but you can quit. Again, good luck, I'm pulling for you.

QUOTE (youngoldman @ Feb 4 2010, 09:51 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 4 2010, 09:12 PM)

I'm very worried about my health these days.  I sometimes go for days where I'm convinced I'll have a stroke or heart attack at any minute.  I was planning on quitting yesterday (my birthday, and a payday), planning on buying Nicoret gum instead of a carton, but I'm holding off for a little while before setting a quit date.  You see...

My wife suggested I speak to my physician before quitting... and maybe a psychiatrist.  Seriously!  I usually get very depressed when I quit.  It's like the death of a friend (only this "friend" is trying to kill you).

I'm really seeing this the same way as heroin.  It's actually harder to quit nicotine, and has a bigger relapse rate.  We do it every 20-minutes or so, like junkies, and it's killing us.  Plus, smoking in front of my two small children, I feel it's just as damaging to them to see me smoking as it would be to see me shooting up.  ohmy.gif  Smoking is disgusting.

Anyway.  The soonest my physician can see me is mid-March.  I'll be back in touch then.  Stay strong, quitters!  You've got a good "winning streak" going; don't break it!

BTW, last time I quit I found a BB for quitters which was very good.  In addition to letting you post and  talk to other quitters, it kept track of how much time had passed since your last one, how much money you'd saved to date, and how much time you'd added to your life by giving it up.  I'll try to find that board again.

Good luck, seriously. You can do it, just take it one day at a time. I just quit after a bout with pneumonia last month. It's a scary feeling not being able to breath normally or catch your breath, along with coughing, hacking. I've smoked the better part of my life and quit on a few occasions, but kept backsliding. It's been 3 weeks but I'm trying not to think of it like I'm missing out. I know how strong the addiction is but you can quit. Again, good luck, I'm pulling for you.

I've had a three-year stretch and a nine-month stretch where I wasn't smoking, and I first started almost 27 years ago (so, about 23 years of smoking all told).

Saturday night, February 6, 2010, 10 PM. Just smoked my "last cigarette." I've got the nicotine gum handy. Let the withdrawal begin! I can't do this stupid stuff anymore, killing myself.

I started when I was 15-years-old, on May 15, 1983. I remember because it was two days before "Return of the Jedi" came out. tongue.gif Now I'm 42.

By the way, here's that bulletin board for Quitters I was talking about earlier: http://www6.quitnet.com/f/community/talk/forums.jtml It's cool because you plug-in the date you quit, how much you smoked each day, how much you spent per pack, and it keeps track of how much money you've saved and how many cigarettes you HAVEN'T SMOKED since quitting, etc.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 6 2010, 10:19 PM)
Saturday night, February 6, 2010, 10 PM. Just smoked my "last cigarette." I've got the nicotine gum handy. Let the withdrawal begin! I can't do this stupid stuff anymore, killing myself.

I started when I was 15-years-old, on May 15, 1983. I remember because it was two days before "Return of the Jedi" came out. tongue.gif Now I'm 42.

By the way, here's that bulletin board for Quitters I was talking about earlier: http://www6.quitnet.com/f/community/talk/forums.jtml It's cool because you plug-in the date you quit, how much you smoked each day, how much you spent per pack, and it keeps track of how much money you've saved and how many cigarettes you HAVEN'T SMOKED since quitting, etc.

Good luck with your quest! It's a hard thing to do, but it CAN be done! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Feb 7 2010, 07:42 AM)
Saturday night, February 6, 2010, 10 PM.  Just smoked my "last cigarette."  I've got the nicotine gum handy.  Let the withdrawal begin!  I can't do this stupid stuff anymore, killing myself.

I started when I was 15-years-old, on May 15, 1983.  I remember because it was two days before "Return of the Jedi" came out.  tongue.gif  Now I'm 42.

By the way, here's that bulletin board for Quitters I was talking about earlier: http://www6.quitnet.com/f/community/talk/forums.jtml  It's cool because you plug-in the date you quit, how much you smoked each day, how much you spent per pack, and it keeps track of how much money you've saved and how many cigarettes you HAVEN'T SMOKED since quitting, etc.

Good luck with your quest! It's a hard thing to do, but it CAN be done! trink39.gif

Woke up this morning and started my day with an intense 2.5 hour craving. Almost rationalized having one, but didn't.

I'm better now.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 7 2010, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Feb 7 2010, 07:42 AM)
Saturday night, February 6, 2010, 10 PM.  Just smoked my "last cigarette."  I've got the nicotine gum handy.  Let the withdrawal begin!  I can't do this stupid stuff anymore, killing myself.

I started when I was 15-years-old, on May 15, 1983.  I remember because it was two days before "Return of the Jedi" came out.  tongue.gif  Now I'm 42.

By the way, here's that bulletin board for Quitters I was talking about earlier: http://www6.quitnet.com/f/community/talk/forums.jtml  It's cool because you plug-in the date you quit, how much you smoked each day, how much you spent per pack, and it keeps track of how much money you've saved and how many cigarettes you HAVEN'T SMOKED since quitting, etc.

Woke up this morning and started my day with an intense 2.5 hour craving. Almost rationalized having one, but didn't.

I'm better now.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Good for you..you didn't give in to the cravings!

Keep Up the good work smile.gif

I admire you..I've been 'trying' to quit for awhile now, and it Isn't easy

trink39.gif

QUOTE (missionman @ Feb 6 2010, 10:51 PM)
I went from just under a pack a day to 2 a day. It's just so hard to go without those 2.

Good for you man! I'd be happy with that!

At my place here myself, wife and roommate are all quitting on March 1st. Yeah we've tried before but this time feels different somehow. We've let everyone close to us know we are quitting (which puts extra weight on us to stick with it) we've entered a Canadian contest to help quit smoking for the month of March, and also we've picked up a new aid to help us quit smoking. This is my third day of trying e-cigarettes and it's cut back my tobacco consumption dramatically already.

For those of you who may not have heard of e-cigs, they are essentially little cigarette shaped battery operated devices that take cartridges of nicotine + all natural flavors without any of the really bad stuff in cigarettes - tar and carbon monoxide and all that shit... the moment you inhale from these it lights up a little "burner" at the end (in our case our burner is blue), heats up some water vapors containing the nicotine concoction, and down the hatch she goes! You can even blow smoke rings if you want, you definitely get the "hit" of having a smoke plus the addictive stuff, and it costs a fraction of what smoking cigarettes does. Modern technology, very cool!

Once we hit our actual quit date coming up in a week and a half we're sure to still hit our bad days and bumps, I'm glad I found this thread and know I can reply on some of yall for a bit of support now and then.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 20 2010, 08:03 AM)
I went from just under a pack a day to 2 a day. It's just so hard to go without those 2.

At my place here myself, wife and roommate are all quitting on March 1st. Yeah we've tried before but this time feels different somehow. We've let everyone close to us know we are quitting (which puts extra weight on us to stick with it) we've entered a Canadian contest to help quit smoking for the month of March, and also we've picked up a new aid to help us quit smoking. This is my third day of trying e-cigarettes and it's cut back my tobacco consumption dramatically already.

For those of you who may not have heard of e-cigs, they are essentially little cigarette shaped battery operated devices that take cartridges of nicotine + all natural flavors without any of the really bad stuff in cigarettes - tar and carbon monoxide and all that shit... the moment you inhale from these it lights up a little "burner" at the end (in our case our burner is blue), heats up some water vapors containing the nicotine concoction, and down the hatch she goes! You can even blow smoke rings if you want, you definitely get the "hit" of having a smoke plus the addictive stuff, and it costs a fraction of what smoking cigarettes does. Modern technology, very cool!

Once we hit our actual quit date coming up in a week and a half we're sure to still hit our bad days and bumps, I'm glad I found this thread and know I can reply on some of yall for a bit of support now and then.

cool10.gif

Still at 2 a day without any help. It's just so F**KING hard!!!!!

Not impossible to quit, just HARD!!!!

smile.gif This is a great thread that has been reborn and I applaud anyone who has quit the habit and eagerly support those of you that are quitting right now. I myself only ever smoked for 2 weeks way back when I was a teenager but I have seen first hand the damage it has done to so many lives and it is for this reason that I encourage and support those that are trying to quit and congratulate those that have succeeded -WELL DONE. yes.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Edited by different strings

It's now been two weeks, 1 day, 6 hours, and 35 minutes since I've had a cigarette. That's 351 cigarettes I've NOT smoked, and $128.80 that I've saved. Hard, sure, at times... but I've actually been surprised it hasn't been harder.

You have to be committed to your Quit, have some willpower, recognize that you WILL want one (but can't have one!), and you have to ignore or laugh-away that little Imp inside you who'll try to rationalize lighting-up that first one. Do some reading online and learn about the attitudes which help you quit. Some facts about smoking can be helpful, too. For example, within one year from quitting, your chance of dying of a heart attack is cut in half. In half! That's reason alone for quitting.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 20 2010, 10:03 AM)

cool10.gif

I'm intrigued by the e-cigarettes. Do you smoke them at work, sitting at your desk? I think it would just be huge fun to take one into, say, a day care center and start puffing away!

My quit date was 2/6/2010 10:00:00 PM.

Smoke-free for 50 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes.

1152 cigarettes not smoked.

$410.55 and 8 days, 19 hours of my life saved.

Can you believe it? I would've smoked 1152 cigarettes already, just since I quit? Gross!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 28 2010, 11:25 PM)

Can you believe it? I would've smoked 1152 cigarettes already, just since I quit? Gross!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent!!!!! Keep it up - take deep breaths when an urge comes on - keep taking them until it passes. I still do it....410 days later!

Approx 4110 Cigs not smoked and are you ready......

$2,562.50 saved!!!!

Oh and the $ per pack has increased by $1.50 since I quit!!!!

Saving an add'l $615.00 to total $3,177.50

Yes I have put most of it in the bank!!!! Some went towards the Chantix co pay at first the rest went towards family vacations/getaways/fun days!!!!

QUOTE (owlswing @ Mar 29 2010, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 28 2010, 11:25 PM)

Can you believe it?  I would've smoked 1152 cigarettes already, just since I quit?  Gross!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent!!!!! Keep it up - take deep breaths when an urge comes on - keep taking them until it passes. I still do it....410 days later!

Approx 4110 Cigs not smoked and are you ready......

$2,562.50 saved!!!!

Oh and the $ per pack has increased by $1.50 since I quit!!!!

Saving an add'l $615.00 to total $3,177.50

Yes I have put most of it in the bank!!!! Some went towards the Chantix co pay at first the rest went towards family vacations/getaways/fun days!!!!

It's the "number of cigarettes NOT smoked" statistic which keeps flooring me.

You mean I would've smoked THAT MANY cigarettes in the past 7 weeks? ohmy.gif Disgusting! Imagine all the ashes and butts in in one large ashtray. 062802puke_prv.gif

And you would've smoked over 4,000 cigarettes since quitting?? Disgusting, ain't it? And that's at a rate of 10-per-day; if you were me, you would've smoked twice that! 062802puke_prv.gif

HOW IN THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS MANAGING THIS?????

I want to quit - I really do - and I only smoke about 1/2 pack/day to start with!

I managed about 9 hours a few weeks back before caving. I really don't want to do Chantix - expensive as hell copay, for one, plus I know too many recidivists.

Part of it, I know, is just breaking associations. Like not smoking while driving, for one.