Tom Sawyer on Rock Band - 99% Expert

jdouglas

IMHO, I find the Guitar Hero / Rock Band game thing a waste...

All the time spent on learning the game, could be spent on actually learning to play a real instrument...

QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 28 2007, 12:43 PM)

All the time spent on learning the game, could be spent on actually learning to play a real instrument...

I agree with TSS in terms of the drums. If you can play the drum part on Rock Band, trust me, you could at least sit on an actual electronic set and play it. Perhaps that can't be said about the guitar - because it's just 5 buttons. But the drums are pretty much an electronic set that you have to sit and actually play. Not such a waste, imo. It's using a gaming platform to teach kids to:

1) appreciate classic songs that would otherwise escape them,

2) inspire many of them to do as you suggest, and pick up the real thing, and

3) well, I don't have a 3. I just can't stand lists with only 2 points.

carry on.

trink39.gif

PS - I've tried the rock band Tom Sawyer on Expert at a friend's house - just once. I got half way through before it booted me. laugh.gif

I'm sure with a bit of rehearsing I could finish it. Half the battle is figuring out "real-time" which of the four pads they want you to hit. You can't take your eyes off the screen for a millisecond, or you'll miss several notes that went flying by. It's a very challenging game. For both the guitar, and the drums.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 28 2007, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Dec 28 2007, 01:20 PM)
You Are f a g s!

Southpark episode quote

laugh.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif

Yep, that's what I'm talking about! That was a great episode too!

trink39.gif

I'm dying to see that episode. I hear it's hysterical. But all SP episodes are. I'll have to search it out on YouTube and maybe I'll get lucky.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 28 2007, 04:04 PM)
You Are f a g s!

Southpark episode quote

trink39.gif

I'm dying to see that episode. I hear it's hysterical. But all SP episodes are. I'll have to search it out on YouTube and maybe I'll get lucky.

You can watch any / every episode of South Park online, for free...

here is the site... http://www.allabout-sp.net/

and here is the "Guitar Queer-O" episode - definitely a funny one!

http://www.allabout-sp.net/?p=season11/1113

QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 28 2007, 12:43 PM)

I agree with TSS in terms of the drums. If you can play the drum part on Rock Band, trust me, you could at least sit on an actual electronic set and play it. Perhaps that can't be said about the guitar - because it's just 5 buttons. But the drums are pretty much an electronic set that you have to sit and actually play. Not such a waste, imo. It's using a gaming platform to teach kids to:

1) appreciate classic songs that would otherwise escape them,

2) inspire many of them to do as you suggest, and pick up the real thing, and

3) well, I don't have a 3. I just can't stand lists with only 2 points.

carry on.

trink39.gif

Sure, the drum controller would actually transfer over to real world drum playing, but the guitar controller thing doesn't really give you anything to carry over to really playing a guitar...

Maybe it does inspire some people to actually want to play a real instrument, but it certainly didn't on South Park...

that's apparent in the first few minutes of the episode! laugh.gif

Personally, I'd rather get an actual drum set, and learn how to play it for real! wink.gif

Let's hope it does inspire kids to become involved in learning music - that is a good thing indeed! trink39.gif

I don't know what value they get from the cheesy 4 button guitar, but at least the drums gives the kids some exercise that is not just their thumbs. Betcha this kid broke a good sweat, and the timing on his drum rolls didn't sound so bad...I can see some value for beginner drummers.

When I was 11, our drummer used to bang on broken furniture pieces and cardboard boxes over my 5 watt amp (that shot hot sparks at me and picked up AM radio stations when I cracked it to 10 for "solos")...ha...gotta start somewhere.....took me another 3 years to learn I had been playing this song ALL WRONG.

2.gif

Edited by jdouglas

i dunno - but we just got guitar hero 2/3 for xmas for the kids and they are having a blast with it - so am I

Im a drummer and what this guy did was great- I could with a bit of practice get in the high 90s as well im sure --I need to get rock band but cany get it in Canada right now for xbox 360- pre order from US waiting list right now.

a lot of fun for all ages- a good source of entertainment

QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 28 2007, 09:43 AM)

THANK YOU!

Although I do enjoy humiliating myself on those on occasion...

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Dec 30 2007, 08:20 PM)
GAY

Well, um. Ok. Thanks for the proclamation. But this isn't the right forum for that.

No worries, though. We'll accept you no matter what you suck.

laugh.gif

oh hell. I couldn't just leave it here without saying I was jokin' around. It was just too easy.

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 28 2007, 06:27 PM)
You Are f a g s!

Southpark episode quote

trink39.gif

I hadn't seen that before! Thanks for the link!

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 28 2007, 01:43 PM)

People really don't see it right... you don't learn that game. Sure, maybe the insanely hard tracks (Dragonforce... WTF) take some actual learning and practice, but you really just get better at that game by playing it randomly. I don't own any guitar hero game, all I've done is play it at friends houses, and I can play every song on hard, and a lot of songs on expert.

It's just a great party game, that's about it.

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 1 2008, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 28 2007, 06:27 PM)
You Are f a g s!

Southpark episode quote

trink39.gif

I hadn't seen that before! Thanks for the link!

rofl3.gif

That episode of South Park kicks arse! One of my all time favourites.

GAY

If one was a cock eyed mouth breather who sticks the tip of their tongue out at the sheer effort of trying to write their name in crayon and also didn't have a single friend to play games such as Rock Band with I can totally see why they think the game is GAY. Also the game in inherently loud so probably living in one's parents basement is likely a factor also... just sayin...

Fact is the game is an awesomely fun multiplayer / party game.

For all the detractors that seem to think that people would better spend their time playing real instruments - when is the last time you had the drinking buddies over and they all had enough musical skill to actually jam out as a band? How often does your girlfriend jump on her drum kit and belt out Tom Sawyer while you handle the guitar and vocals? Probably not very often and if anyone has a significant other than can jam Tom Sawyer with you consider yourself lucky.

I am a novice recreational keyboardist and drummer who has owned an actual kit. I've also played real guitar for 20 years and have been in bands. My vocal capabilities are quite renowned as well as my singing once caused a whale to miscarriage from 20 miles away. :co.

Nine times out of ten I will pick up one of my guitars instead of playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero alone but in groups that's seldom possible unless everyone wants to smoke a few bowls and sit and listen to me play guitar. :cP. New years was a great example - had a small get together of about 15 people - all sorts of personalities from super outgoing to very meek and quiet and shy - once we decided to get Rock Band going on though every single person was clamoring for a chance to play and if democracy prevailed they would have kept playing straight through the stroke of midnight instead of watching the ball drop. Thankfully my living room is not a democracy and I talked everyone into watching five mins of poor Dick stuttering out the countdown to zero. before we jumped back onto the drum kit.

So yeah... if you have nobody to play the game with you may or may not enjoy the solo experience. If you're a renowned and snooty musician with just a few more Grammys than ex wives this game may not be challenging enough for you. And most importantly perhaps if you are one of those folks who believe things like karaoke or charades are tearing apart our social fabric where people should be doing math, pushups or playing REAL instruments 24/7 then I say avoid this game at all costs!

Otherwise I suggest if you haven't tried it yet - take a tequila shot if you are so terribly shy and jump in and try it sometime with some friends if you ever get the chance. You'll likely find it terrible amounts of fun, and less time to set up than RISK or Dungeons and Dragons.

goodpost.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 08:36 PM)
GAY

If one was a cock eyed mouth breather who sticks the tip of their tongue out at the sheer effort of trying to write their name in crayon and also didn't have a single friend to play games such as Rock Band with I can totally see why they think the game is GAY. Also the game in inherently loud so probably living in one's parents basement is likely a factor also... just sayin...

For all the detractors that seem to think that people would better spend their time playing real instruments - when is the last time you had the drinking buddies over and they all had enough musical skill to actually jam out as a band? How often does your girlfriend jump on her drum kit and belt out Tom Sawyer while you handle the guitar and vocals? Probably not very often and if anyone has a significant other than can jam Tom Sawyer with you consider yourself lucky.

I am a novice recreational keyboardist and drummer who has owned an actual kit. I've also played real guitar for 20 years and have been in bands. My vocal capabilities are quite renowned as well as my singing once caused a whale to miscarriage from 20 miles away. :co.

Nine times out of ten I will pick up one of my guitars instead of playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero alone but in groups that's seldom possible unless everyone wants to smoke a few bowls and sit and listen to me play guitar. :cP. New years was a great example - had a small get together of about 15 people - all sorts of personalities from super outgoing to very meek and quiet and shy - once we decided to get Rock Band going on though every single person was clamoring for a chance to play and if democracy prevailed they would have kept playing straight through the stroke of midnight instead of watching the ball drop. Thankfully my living room is not a democracy and I talked everyone into watching five mins of poor Dick stuttering out the countdown to zero. before we jumped back onto the drum kit.

So yeah... if you have nobody to play the game with you may or may not enjoy the solo experience. If you're a renowned and snooty musician with just a few more Grammys than ex wives this game may not be challenging enough for you. And most importantly perhaps if you are one of those folks who believe things like karaoke or charades are tearing apart our social fabric where people should be doing math, pushups or playing REAL instruments 24/7 then I say avoid this game at all costs!

Otherwise I suggest if you haven't tried it yet - take a tequila shot if you are so terribly shy and jump in and try it sometime with some friends if you ever get the chance. You'll likely find it terrible amounts of fun, and less time to set up than RISK or Dungeons and Dragons.

goodpost.gif

laugh.gif

You... Are... My... Hero. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 02:36 PM)
GAY

goodpost.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif I love it.