Gene Simmons sounds angry...

ReRushed

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 15 2007, 05:12 PM)
He is truly the 50 Cent or P. Diddy of classic rock...he's not really a musician, he's a businessman, and his music seems sort of secondary to his reality shows or clothing lines or books about the history of prostitution or whatever.

Come on! He kicks Geddy's ass when it comes to playing the bass! sarcasm.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Necromancer hit it on the head perfectly.

The technology that lets people get their tunes so easily shouldn't be at the expense of the artist. It takes time, money, and resources to make most of these songs/albums, so it's not unreasonable for the companies to want to be paid for it.

On the other hand, these companies aren't adapting either. They need to take advantage of this technology.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 15 2007, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 15 2007, 05:12 PM)
He is truly the 50 Cent or P. Diddy of classic rock...he's not really a musician, he's a businessman, and his music seems sort of secondary to his reality shows or clothing lines or books about the history of prostitution or whatever.

Come on! He kicks Geddy's ass when it comes to playing the bass! sarcasm.gif

Yeah, and his lyrics put Neil to shame too!

KISS probably gets my vote as being the single most overrated band in rock history.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 15 2007, 08:44 AM)
He's right about how the record companies have no idea what they're doing, wrong that everyone who downloads music is a criminal, and completely un-credible because he's Gene freaking Simmons.

Gene knows how to make money. Whether you like his music or not is not the issue.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 15 2007, 09:02 PM)
He's right about how the record companies have no idea what they're doing, wrong that everyone who downloads music is a criminal, and completely un-credible because he's Gene freaking Simmons.

Gene knows how to make money. Whether you like his music or not is not the issue.

Plus he claims to have had sex with over 4,000 women, you gotta give credit where credit is due.

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 16 2007, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 15 2007, 09:02 PM)

Plus he claims to have had sex with over 4,000 women, you gotta give credit where credit is due.

ph34r.gif

Does anyone remember what Gene Simmons said to NPR radio host Terry Gross regarding his claim to having slept with over a thousand women?

"If you want to welcome me with open arms, I'm afraid you're also going to have to welcome me with open legs."

Gross replied, "That's a really obnoxious thing to say."

Wow, lots of Gene slamming here.

Gene Simmons is the most brilliant business man in music history...period!!

Who gives a shit if you like the music of Kiss or not, you cannot argue that the guy knows how to make money from the music industry. Hell, he was the pioneer of "merchandising".

Gee, I wonder how Rush can put out a new album "in this day and age" and sell 100's of thousands of copies...?

Because they have produced a quality product. Not an album with just a couple of good songs, they've produced an album with many great songs. That's how you stay viable in the recording industry.

Not producing good, new music is the problem with the industry, not downloading illegal copies. Yes, it is illegal and the major offenders should be prosecuted, but the guy who occasionally downloads a couple of songs here and there isn't the reason why the industry is in trouble.

I personally think the album should be a thing of the past and only release singles electronically. That way you can buy exactly what you want and not have to pay high prices for crappy music.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Nov 16 2007, 02:18 PM)
How could you possibly have sex with over 4,000 women?

laugh.gif Pretty easily when you're a huge rock star.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 16 2007, 04:34 PM)

4000 divided by 30 years is 133 women per year which is 1 every 2.7 days which is "doable." However, in my book this is nothing to brag about.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 16 2007, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 16 2007, 03:34 PM)

Huge in what way?

Well, I don't know your age, but if you were growing up in the 70's then you'd know what I was talking about.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 16 2007, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 16 2007, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 16 2007, 03:34 PM)

Huge in what way?

Well, I don't know your age, but if you were growing up in the 70's then you'd know what I was talking about.

I'm just clarifying. One can be a "huge" rock star in many ways. laugh.gif

Well then, Gene was a huge rock star in the way that he sold millions of records, sold out thousands of arenas, and had his demonic visage stamped on practically all manner of merchandise.

Oh ya and he also had legions of groupies.

I'm afraid so.

It's not your fault.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to crank God Of Thunder and listen to it 23 times.

I sort of agree with him on the first quote; illegal downloads are very unfair for the artists involved. But that's no reason to stop making music, if someone really enjoys the art, they'll buy it.

And I have to disagree with him on the second point; what Radiohead did was pure genius. Especially considering that a lot of bands have to deal with record label pressure to put out the 'hit single'; they released a classic album on their own terms, and made money doing it. That's a very smart move.

That reads like someone who doesn't completely understand the whole issue...

He seems to think Radiohead will have made nothing - that's not true. I'd imagine with this album they'd see more of the money than they would if In Rainbows was released through a record contract; sure, they have to pay their own costs for studio time etc, but they're still going to get the full price which people decide to pay. With a contract, they'd probably be seeing less than $3 (the averageish price people are paying I'd guess?) from each sale anyway.

QUOTE (.Tom. @ Nov 19 2007, 08:23 AM)
sure, they have to pay their own costs for studio time etc

Most bands on major labels still have to pay for that stuff anyway, so yeah, I agree that they probably made more this way.

As far as Gene and downloading go, I can see where he's coming from in regards to a fairly unknown band, but major labels shouldn't churn out so much terrible music if they don't want people downloading most of it. People don't want to pay full price for an album that sucks, and you're really just giving your money to some rich record label execs anyway when you buy something on a major label. They pay most bands in peanuts from album sales so it really doesn't matter. Go to a concert and buy a shirt if you really want to support a band. Most of the people I know still buy music if it's good anyway. Downloading an album and deleting it if it sucks doesn't make you a thief, it makes you smart. Gene using it as an excuse not to make new music is bullshit. That just shows how little he cares about the art. Plus, he's just about the creepiest guy ever, so f**k him.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 14 2007, 10:11 PM)
The real point of Gene's diatribe is that he has never really been a musician. He has been a businessman who has used "music" (entertainment is a better word) to make lots of money. Of course, I thought that this has been obvious for years. Comparing Gene to Radiohead or Trent Reznor is crazy because they are coming from a completely different place than he is.

Hear hear!

And I agree with the previous post, that Gene's music isn't even worth downloading for free.

Archived