Gene Simmons sounds angry...

ReRushed

Gene thinks the glass is half empty!

It has been nine years since we've seen a new KISS album. Any plans to get back into the studio?
The record industry is in such a mess. I called for what it was when college kids first started download music for free -- that they were crooks. I told every record label I spoke with that they just lit the fuse to their own bomb that was going to explode from under them and put them on the street.

There is nothing in me that wants to go in there and do new music. How are you going to deliver it? How are you going to get paid for it if people can just get it for free? I will be putting out a Gene Simmons box set called "Monster" -- a collection of 150 unreleased songs. KISS will have another box set of unreleased music in the next year.

The record industry doesn't have a f*cking clue how to make money. It's only their fault for letting foxes get into the henhouse and then wondering why there's no eggs or chickens. Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth. They should have taken their houses and cars and nipped it right there in the beginning. Those kids are putting 100,000 to a million people out of work. How can you pick on them? They've got freckles. That's a crook. He may as well be wearing a bandit's mask.

Doesn't affect me. But imagine being a new band with dreams of getting on stage and putting out your own record. Forget it.

But some artist like Radiohead and Trent Reznor are trying to find a new business model.
That doesn't count. You can't pick on one person as an exception. And that's not a business model that works. I open a store and say "Come on in and pay whatever you want." Are you on f*cking crack? Do you really believe that's a business model that works?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 14 2007, 06:44 PM)
He's right about how the record companies have no idea what they're doing, wrong that everyone who downloads music is a criminal, and completely un-credible because he's Gene freaking Simmons.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 14 2007, 06:36 PM)
Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth.

The music issue aside, I'm wondering why he made this point quite in that way, "freshly-scrubbed little kid" "they've got freckles" I dunno he sounds like an old man who is jealous of their youth underneath all the wailing about criminals and the record industry. Grow old gracefully Gene FFS...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 14 2007, 07:01 PM)
Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth.

The music issue aside, I'm wondering why he made this point quite in that way, "freshly-scrubbed little kid" "they've got freckles" I dunno he sounds like an old man who is jealous of their youth underneath all the wailing about criminals and the record industry. Grow old gracefully Gene FFS...

doh.gif It looks like I said it! laugh.gif

It should look like this:

QUOTE (Gene Simmons @ Nov 14 2007, 06:36 PM)

Yeah, I think he can't accept the fact he's a dinosaur.

He may be a dinosaur, but he right about the theft thing.

If anybody (freckly or otherwise) decides to download a song instead of paying for it WHEN the option to pay is available to them AND the artist would like you to pay for it, that is THEFT.

If the artist offers a free download, that's ok.

If you decide to download a few free tracks from an artist and you like them, it would be great of you to IMMEDIATELY make every effort to pay said artist for their work. Just don't make a habit of downloading whole albums and whine when the recording industry sues you.

If the artist is crazy like Radiohead, that's ok too tongue.gif

If the artist wants you to pay and you don't, that is stealing. I don't know why some people can't grasp that.

A few high profile cases of the RIAA and the rest of them suing eight year old girls for tens of thousands is pretty awful. Clearly, the industry needs to strike a deal with such unusual cases. But I think that after all the press it has received, people have no excuse. Parents cannot feign ignorance anymore, and people should know that theft is theft.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 14 2007, 08:04 PM)

I think that what he was getting at was that the "kids" that invented napster and made file sharing what it is, should have been sued off the face of the earth.

I've always been torn on this. I download myself, but not insanely. I usually get a song or two to find out if I like something and if I do, i then purchase it. I can't tell you how many albums I bought because of one song and wound up with a 7.99 SINGLE that I liked and NINE crappy songs.

But at the same time... i can see what Gene is saying. And if I was in a band, I don't know if I'd be too happy about illegal downloading. And then there's the other side of the coin, where young artists use MySpace Music to let people hear a few of their songs for free.

It's a tough call to make. For now, I download when I have to. I buy when I want to. But basically, he's right. The creators of Napster should have been treated more like criminals instead of celebrities, and maybe the whole problem would have been solved and not STILL causing such a fuss. I like the fact that technology has made it possible for us to get entertainment that we want, but it should not be at the artist's expense either.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 14 2007, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 14 2007, 08:04 PM)

I think that what he was getting at was that the "kids" that invented napster and made file sharing what it is, should have been sued off the face of the earth.

I've always been torn on this. I download myself, but not insanely. I usually get a song or two to find out if I like something and if I do, i then purchase it. I can't tell you how many albums I bought because of one song and wound up with a 7.99 SINGLE that I liked and NINE crappy songs.

But at the same time... i can see what Gene is saying. And if I was in a band, I don't know if I'd be too happy about illegal downloading. And then there's the other side of the coin, where young artists use MySpace Music to let people hear a few of their songs for free.

It's a tough call to make. For now, I download when I have to. I buy when I want to. But basically, he's right. The creators of Napster should have been treated more like criminals instead of celebrities, and maybe the whole problem would have been solved and not STILL causing such a fuss. I like the fact that technology has made it possible for us to get entertainment that we want, but it should not be at the artist's expense either.

You make some good points. I never even thought of the kids who invented Napster.

This battle has been going on forever and it looks like it may be coming to a head. Basically a lot of artists are breaking free of their labels and releasing their own music digitally for a very reasonable price. It is because record labels think they can overcharge us for certain artists because they know we want the new album so badly that we will pay the astromnomical prices.

A few artists including Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails who was previously on the Interscope label have decided that until record labels stop overcharging people for music that they are going to keep stealing it. So they have started a movement that hopefully catches on.

http://digg.com/music/Trent_Reznor_splits_...ely_independent

Also check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ5iHaV0dP4.../news/index.php

These are exciting times indeed.

Oh and for the record I dont agree with anything that Gene Simmons says. He's just as bad as Lars Ulrich and frankly they get paid way too much for what they do, especially since they sold their souls for a sack of gold.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 14 2007, 07:36 PM)
Doesn't affect me. But imagine being a new band with dreams of getting on stage and putting out your own record. Forget it.

Think about all those "new bands" who've gained success, or at least a decent fanbase because of the internet. Without message boards, music sites, and, yes, P2P networks... nobody would know anything about them.

Sorry Gene, but you should just shut the f**k up.

The real point of Gene's diatribe is that he has never really been a musician. He has been a businessman who has used "music" (entertainment is a better word) to make lots of money. Of course, I thought that this has been obvious for years. Comparing Gene to Radiohead or Trent Reznor is crazy because they are coming from a completely different place than he is.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 14 2007, 10:11 PM)
The real point of Gene's diatribe is that he has never really been a musician. He has been a businessman who has used "music" (entertainment is a better word) to make lots of money. Of course, I thought that this has been obvious for years. Comparing Gene to Radiohead or Trent Reznor is crazy because they are coming from a completely different place than he is.

yes.gif Gene Simmons is a consummate capitalist.

I don't understand Gene's point of view. It sounds like he was paid off by the record companies to say this. This is a fact here so bear with me. People have recorded albums onto tape for years back in the 70's and 80's and bands were making millions of dollars then. So does that mean the people who made tapes were criminals too? It doesn't make any sense here I think. unsure.gif

Aww give ole' Gene a break, he's just doing what he can to eek out a living......

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 14 2007, 03:36 PM)
But some artist like Radiohead and Trent Reznor are trying to find a new business model.
That doesn't count.

Yeah, does he really think CDs are going to last much longer? Here he is whining about how nobody is buying dated, crappy plastic discs, and then they confront him with the names of two artists who are not only more talented than he could ever hope to be (but that's another discussion) but who are also clearly leading the way for the future of music distribution, and he's just like "Oh, they don't count because they aren't sticking with the CD format."

How long has it been since this guy was actually relevant at all? Late '70s? Early '80s?

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 15 2007, 03:48 PM)

How long has it been since this guy was actually relevant at all? Late '70s? Early '80s?

Well he does have his own reality TV show, I guess that's kind of relevant.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 15 2007, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 15 2007, 03:48 PM)

Well he does have his own reality TV show, I guess that's kind of relevant.

He's had three!

Mr. Romance

Rock School

Family Jewels

He really is the consummate capitalist.

Archived