The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 27 2012, 05:12 PM)
I was rocking out to this one on my Ipod today! 1022.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwzXop5kLxE

Great song, so glad it's in the set. Just one of the many Geat tunes Sammy would not do

QUOTE (The K Man @ Feb 27 2012, 06:18 PM)
And how many Sammy era songs will DLR do? tongue.gif

Zero, the way it should be laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 27 2012, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Feb 27 2012, 06:18 PM)
And how many Sammy era songs will DLR do?  tongue.gif

Zero, the way it should be laugh.gif

Sammy was in the band longer and lasted a decade. I'm not taking sides because I thought Sammy should have been singing DLR-era songs from the beginning, but the idea that fans should just forget that 1986-1996 ever happened is retarded (yes, just as it was retarded that they were expected to ignore 1978-1984).

Not that it matters, DLR couldn't sing a Sammy song if you put a gun to his head.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Feb 27 2012, 08:27 PM)
Sammy had a go at Unchained in the 5150 tour, not bad at all!!! They should have kept that one on the setlist.

He never sang unchained until the Right Here Right Now tour. He did Jump the first 2 5150 shows and said he he did not want to sing it, the bands Biggest hit ever and he would not do it. Lame and Ed and Al should be slapped for letting him get away with it

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 27 2012, 08:33 PM)
Sammy had a go at Unchained in the 5150 tour, not bad at all!!! They should have kept that one on the setlist.

He never sang unchained until the Right Here Right Now tour. He did Jump the first 2 5150 shows and said he he did not want to sing it, the bands Biggest hit ever and he would not do it. Lame and Ed and Al should be slapped for letting him get away with it

After you see this tour, you will see the VH boys still have no control over their lead singer. They are indulging Dave's ego a little too much.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 27 2012, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 27 2012, 08:33 PM)

After you see this tour, you will see the VH boys still have no control over their lead singer. They are indulging Dave's ego a little too much.

That may be true, but Id rather see this 1/2-assed than that Sammy setlist that was posted any day of the week. Sammy could sing, sure, but the DLR era songs are, on the whole, just better (IMO). Personal taste.

I consider them two different bands, both of which I like; but I like DLR stuff more.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 27 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 27 2012, 07:17 AM)
Really great seats are OFTEN released last minute.  I know some people who, especially when they go alone, buy tix the day of or day before and are 2 or 3 rows back.  Not at all uncommon.  I can't do that because I'm too paranoid I'll miss out, but it happens all the time.

Just like some days on pre-sales you get into the system 30 seconds after tickets go on sale and you can't find a floor seat.  What, they ALL sold out in under 30 seconds?  wink.gif

I'd wager that the vast majority of these shows will be at 80-to-85% + capacity.  That's roughly 9500-to-10K in a 12K arena.  In today's touring rock (at those prices in a still shitty economy), that's a success every time.  Bands tour year in and out and far less a percentage.  (I'm just guessing).  It'll depend on the city, the night, the area of the country, how many shows are being done in a close area, etc.  All the usual things.  They will undoubtedly sell out or come very close to selling out a number of big places.

Got my tickets for under $50 before fees.  I'm back a ways, but with a good straight on view.  I'm pleased.

I think EVERYONE knows that. But it was not a day or two before the show when the search was done.

I am not trying to slam VH - more ticketMaster for trying to generate hype over a false sold out show to make sure those seats that do get released are purchased right away.

Not counting the sections behind the band that were not sold, I would say the united center was about 80% filled. That middle tier really was quite empty compared to the tier 1 and 3 sections

I will report on Philly, I would expect at least 95%, seats in the uppermost tier in the rear of the arena are taken. Of course, I'll see when I go.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 27 2012, 04:30 PM)
The price for my first VH show in 1981 was $10. The price this tour is $170.

The issue (at my arena anyway) is that its a high price for the ENTIRE first level. maybe Im an old fart, but it seems to me someone in the sections closest to the stage and the front three sections against the stage shouldnt have the same price as those in the rear of the arena. But.. as they say.. they all sold... so....

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 27 2012, 07:19 PM)
The price for my first VH show in 1981 was $10.  The price this tour is $170.

The issue (at my arena anyway) is that its a high price for the ENTIRE first level. maybe Im an old fart, but it seems to me someone in the sections closest to the stage and the front three sections against the stage shouldnt have the same price as those in the rear of the arena. But.. as they say.. they all sold... so....

It's all about what the market will bear.

Music is, ultimately, a business.

As for the whole Sammy/Dave thing...I really don't have anything against Sammy as a person or a musician. I just really believe the material they put out with DLR was vastly superior. And of course that comes with a cost (his antics). That's JMHO, of course.

But I listen to ADKOT and I am transported back to the good old days. It's better than anything they did with Hagar. I have listened to Van Halen since the very beginning (I grew up in the 70's, in the next town over from them. I knew Roth's sister). Van Halen is just big, bombastic, good ol' party. I like it that way.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:19 PM)
The price for my first VH show in 1981 was $10.  The price this tour is $170.

The worst abuse of ticket pricing was AC/DC a few years ago. The guy in the Last row paid as much as the guy in the Front row. One price no matter where you sat. Atleast you can get a $65 or $70 ticket for Vh.