The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 22 2012, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 22 2012, 01:23 PM)
Do kids today even know what a guitar solo is or for that matter how to write one?

The bigger question is "do kids today want guitar solos?"

The answer is largely no. They don't. Music sales bear this out - rock, especially VH-style rock, is not what the masses want right now, and the younger the person, they less they seem to want it.

IMO.

I guess it depends. My son plays guitar and loves VH, Rush, Satriani, etc... so do the majority of his friends.

My daughter is the same and she's only 11 - but she plays bass. She hates modern "pop"

*EDIT* forgot to add - she is in the minority of her friends

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Do kids today even know what a guitar solo is or for that matter how to write one?

The answer is largely no. They don't. Music sales bear this out - rock, especially VH-style rock, is not what the masses want right now, and the younger the person, they less they seem to want it.

IMO.

I'm glad VH didn't try to go "contemporary" on this album. Being anything but themselves just isn't in their DNA. I mean, occasionally they experiment on a tune (honeybaby...is a great example), yet they never lose their identity.

I can't even imagine an album full of EVH playing and no solos or signature 'isms.'

It's long about time kids came back around to an example of greatness rather than for greatness to chase the trends.

From a comment on Youtube: "The headset would've worked better when Dave could jump around like a maniac. Now, it just magnifies his inability to do that and makes him look silly." Spot on...someone needs to tell him to ditch it.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Feb 22 2012, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 22 2012, 12:23 PM)
Another filler tune IMO with Outta Space.

Blasphemy!

angry.gif

Outta Space is the best tune on the album, IMHO.

It is chock-full of rocking goodness.

I've played it about 100 times.

1022.gif

tongue.gif

Yeah, it's my favorite too. It's a slight song...pretty meat and potatoes rocker, BUT certainly not short on energy. Sometimes simplest is best.

It's difficult for me to pick a favorite.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/mixed%20bag/van-halen-us-tour12-600x4001-2.jpg

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 22 2012, 03:06 PM)

IMO.

I guess it depends. My son plays guitar and loves VH, Rush, Satriani, etc... so do the majority of his friends.

My daughter is the same and she's only 11 - but she plays bass. She hates modern "pop"

*EDIT* forgot to add - she is in the minority of her friends

Well, thinking back on when I was in high school, most of the kids back then didn't want to hear guitar solos either. They wanted to hear disco music and pop. It was only the (elite?) minority who were into heavy guitar solo-laden rock music like RUSH, VH, Hendrix, etc. Most of those kids could care less and only wanted songs that were 3 minutes in length. So, I'd say not too much has changed in that regard.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 23 2012, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 23 2012, 07:57 AM)
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/mixed%20bag/van-halen-us-tour12-600x4001-2.jpg

That is actually awesome.

trink39.gif

Just a little levity to bring a smile! laugh.gif

All in good fun. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 23 2012, 09:41 AM)
I have been pretty vocal in my support of M.A on here, but Sammy really needs to let this shit go...its getting ridiculous...

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe...wsitemID=170153

I don't know, I think Sammy has a point. Why should he not defend him (MA)? IMO, EVH shit on MA...he deserves to get grief for it...a LOT of grief!!

Edited by tjtull

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 23 2012, 10:41 AM)
I have been pretty vocal in my support of M.A on here, but Sammy really needs to let this shit go...its getting ridiculous...

Really? Nothing wrong with what he said. With all the bullshit that went on between Van Halen and there singers for the past 25 years+, including the joke of there Mtv reunion debacle on stage in 96, your going to rip Sammy for this? That to me is ridiculous. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 23 2012, 10:26 AM)

Really? Nothing wrong with what he said. With all the bullshit that went on between Van Halen and there singers for the past 25 years+, including the joke of there Mtv reunion debacle on stage in 96, your going to rip Sammy for this? That to me is ridiculous. atickhum.gif

He keeps tallking about it, and made his point with his book..we get that the van halen brothers are bat shit crazy and assholes to deal with..he sounds like an ex thats pissed off and cant move on.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Feb 23 2012, 10:01 AM)

I don't know, I think Sammy has a point. Why should he not defend him (MA)? IMO, EVH shit on MA...he deserves to get grief for it...a LOT of grief!!

Wolfgang has been in the band, officially, for six years now. Get over it, Sam. It didn't just happen in the past few months. It's old news. Time for Sammy to beat another horse.

I'm sure he will.

My God, I wish he put HALF the energy into talking about his own band as he does Van Halen. For the record I'd say (and have said) the same thing with DLR or EVH have gone off on Sammy or Michael. And they have. But two wrongs don't make a right and, to their credit, VH seem to have taken the higher road here lately...and by lately I mean "over the last half a dozen or so years." I've literally heard NOTHING from Edward about Sammy or his book or Chickenfoot. As it should be. Frankly I don't care what Edward or Alex think of their former bandmates, just as I don't care what Hagar thinks of his. They're each releasing albums and are/have toured. Just drop the fourth grade antics and be grown ups.

For once.

Edited by Presto-digitation

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/double%20s%20pro/vanhalen19781-1.jpg

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 23 2012, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 23 2012, 10:26 AM)

He keeps tallking about it, and made his point with his book..we get that the van halen brothers are bat shit crazy and assholes to deal with..he sounds like an ex thats pissed off and cant move on.

He's saying these things for one reason only: people are asking him. And the only reason people are asking him are because there's a new VH album and tour. Give the guy a month, he'll be back to doing whatever it is he's been doing since the last time anyone asked him about VH.

And yeah, I know, he could take the high road and refuse to talk about it, but you know, maybe he *does* want the free publicity that he gets when someone asks. Big deal. Some of you people are making it out to sound like he's *always* out there talking shit about VH and he's basing his career on it. That's not the case.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 23 2012, 10:51 AM)

Wolfgang has been in the band, officially, for six years now. Get over it, Sam. It didn't just happen in the past few months. It's old news. Time for Sammy to beat another horse.

I'm sure he will.

My God, I wish he put HALF the energy into talking about his own band as he does Van Halen. For the record I'd say (and have said) the same thing with DLR or EVH have gone off on Sammy or Michael. And they have. But two wrongs don't make a right and, to their credit, VH seem to have taken the higher road here lately...and by lately I mean "over the last half a dozen or so years." I've literally heard NOTHING from Edward about Sammy or his book or Chickenfoot. As it should be. Frankly I don't care what Edward or Alex think of their former bandmates, just as I don't care what Hagar thinks of his. They're each releasing albums and are/have toured. Just drop the fourth grade antics and be grown ups.

For once.

I just don't think what he said was incendiary or childish. He's simply giving props to a fellow band mate. He wants everyone to know that MA's dismissal, or whatever the hell it was, had nothing to do with his talent.

IMO, VH is a lesser band because MA's not there, plain an simple. Eddie should take it on the chin every single time MA is in the room and there is an interviewer, IMO. It was a lowdown and despicable thing to do. And I'm not a Sammy fan in the least (other than the years he had with VH that is). I just don't think his remarks are that bad. Dead horse, maybe, but one that deserves beating.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Feb 23 2012, 11:44 AM)

I'm sure he will.

For once.

I just don't think what he said was incendiary or childish. He's simply giving props to a fellow band mate. He wants everyone to know that MA's dismissal, or whatever the hell it was, had nothing to do with his talent.

IMO, VH is a lesser band because MA's not there, plain an simple. Eddie should take it on the chin every single time MA is in the room and there is an interviewer, IMO. It was a lowdown and despicable thing to do. And I'm not a Sammy fan in the least (other than the years he had with VH that is). I just don't think his remarks are that bad. Dead horse, maybe, but one that deserves beating.

It's the bigger picture being painted. Taking this one thing in its own context only, I'd agree. But it's a culmination of a lot of talking in the press.

He's entitled. He's also entitled to be criticized for the cumulative image he's creating by all of this, the same as when they've all fired shots over the wall at one another in the past.

In the past half dozen years, the VH guys have taken the high road, regardless of what went on before. (At one point they were all picking nits). Now it's pretty much JUST Sammy.

Honestly I wish he'd just turn his attention to his own band. What wife wants to hear her man go on and on about his ex all the time? That's what I'd think if I were anyone else in Chickenfoot.

Again, I used to hate it when EVH did the same kinds of things. Dave too. They've all done it. I guess it should be fair game because someone once did it and now the door is kicked open. biggrin.gif Turn the other cheek. If they were going off in the press about CF or Anthony, I'd get it. They're not, so please...shut up.

Let your band do your talking. For fans of CF that's all that needs to be said, is through their music. Can't both sides be men about it AT THE SAME TIME for a change?

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 23 2012, 11:50 AM)

I'm sure he will.

For once.

It's the bigger picture being painted. Taking this one thing in its own context only, I'd agree. But it's a culmination of a lot of talking in the press.

He's entitled. He's also entitled to be criticized for the cumulative image he's creating by all of this, the same as when they've all fired shots over the wall at one another in the past.

In the past half dozen years, the VH guys have taken the high road, regardless of what went on before. (At one point they were all picking nits). Now it's pretty much JUST Sammy.

Honestly I wish he'd just turn his attention to his own band. What wife wants to hear her man go on and on about his ex all the time? That's what I'd think if I were anyone else in Chickenfoot.

I think a good point that's been made is he is being asked about it. You think Seal is gonna field a lot of Heidi Klum questions for the next 10 years? yes.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 23 2012, 11:50 AM)

I'm sure he will.

For once.

I guess that's why I much prefer a group, with say 3 guys in it, that sticks together over many years and actually enjoy each others company; over say...just about everyone else wink.gif

Dismissing Michael Anthony from the band could have been handled better, but it wasn't a despicable thing to do. He's the band leader's son. Nepotism aside, Wolfgang, to my ears, has proven he can hold his own in the band. If Wolfgang being in the band is keeping Eddie Van Halen focused, it's a good thing.