Neil Peart sprints out of show

Cavorticus

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Jul 23 2007, 08:43 PM)
I used to think it would be cool to meet one of my rock heroes, but I read some stuff Robert Fripp wrote, and I realized, it really wouldn't. I have nothing useful to say to them, and they have no godlike wisdom to bestow upon me, either. Our relationship begins and ends at the music. So I leave it at that.

Very well said. Hopefully your insight in this area will rub off on a few people.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Portland show, after YYZ Neil stood waved at the crowed, bowed, and jogged off stage... I thought nothing of it the show was over. Heck, Geddy thanked the crowed, and said he hoped to see us all again and then joggged off stage.

QUOTE (Cavorticus @ Jul 23 2007, 05:34 PM)
wtf.gif
Again I say, "What the f**k!" because this was my first Rush show ever and I was amazed to see this. It was a simple question. So I registered on therushforum to get some insight and all I got was (mostly) bullshit "why bash Neil?" whiney bitches.
So it seems to be normal. OK. But it is still bizarre behaviour. I worked on Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Steely Dan, Def Leppard, and Tom Petty last year and never saw this sort of odd-ball sprinting out the back like a friggin' maniac before.
You all can suck it. Knee-jerk defending of a band based on a simple question just shows your jerkiness.
Since it will be my last Rush show ever, you don't need to bother to reply. I won't be back.
Thank you to those peeps that offered some insight and a real answer.

bekloppt.gif

no.gif He's not waving hi. He's waving goodbye. I may shed a few tears when I notice how long you've been inactive. sarcasm.gif

Well first off, they all run to get out of there, not because their assholes, but because they don't have the time to hang around talking to thousands of people obsessed with them. Not to mentiont they are tired as shit and most likley play the next day in a town a good 4-8 hours away.

Also, it took me an hour and a half to get out of the parking lot at White River Amphtheatre... Do you think they want to sit around in all that traffic also?

As for tonight, there were 3 towncars waiting for the boys...

When we went by, none had left. Although, security was hustling us by...

Since LA is Neil's hometown, I figured that there would be no bus.

I guess they won't be joining me at Tommy's...bummer, heavy sigh...

Neil can do whatever he wants as far as I am concerned. If he wants to leave right away more power to him. He gives us his guts for 3 hours every show, I certainly don't expect anything else.

Hell, if he wanted to take a dump on the stage and throw it into the crowd when the show is done that's fine with me too. Well, as long as I'm not too close to the stage.

They all sprint to the van taking them away from the venue. Can't understand why, i'm sure they like being stuck in traffic for 3 hours. Not like they have somewhere to be. beathorse.gif Man, it's amazing he's even willing to tour. And with fans like that out there, who could blame him.

If Neil wants to run, sprint, walk, say goodbye, whatever, then so be it.

Perhaps he's in secret training for the next Olympics laugh.gif

Either way, its a free world.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2007, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 23 2007, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2007, 03:20 PM)
Okay...you guys are forcing my hand on this one.

The REAL reason he ran like hell to the bus was because *I* was in it, waiting for him.

drool1.gif

rofl3.gif

You mean he saw you coming...

laugh.gif

No, that is NOT what I mean.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

rage.gif

We'll call you Midway Stalker from now on.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jul 24 2007, 07:15 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2007, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 23 2007, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2007, 03:20 PM)
Okay...you guys are forcing my hand on this one.

The REAL reason he ran like hell to the bus was because *I* was in it, waiting for him.

drool1.gif

rofl3.gif

You mean he saw you coming...

laugh.gif

No, that is NOT what I mean.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

rage.gif

We'll call you Midway Stalker from now on.

Ummm...no, that's okay. But thanks just the same!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2007, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jul 23 2007, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (Spike @ Jul 23 2007, 02:07 PM)
Neil actually explains why he does this in his book "Roadshow".

He gets onto the tour bus and out of the venue as quickly as possible to avoid traffic, and get to his cycling destination for the next day.

After the show he showers on the bus, eats (and drinks The Macallan!!), and he and Michael finish planning out the next day's ride.  Their bus driver drives through part of the night while Neil and Michael sleep - so they can get up and ride their motorcycles to the next venue.

He did say that in his book, but that is bullshit. He is a misanthrope.

He doesn't hate or distrust HUMANKIND...that's a pretty broad statement to make.

I get tired of saying this stuff over and over. I suppose some people are going to think that about Neil, and some aren't.

Not from a general standpoint. He has his close friends, family (unfortunately what's left of them), confidants, and of course the band as his inner circle. But outside of that, he doesn't want to have anything to do with anybody especially when one recognizes who he is in public.

If you're some recluse whose never heard of him, an ederly person who doesn't know Rush, part of some African tribe who has zero contact with the outside world, or an infant who has yet to experience the wonders of rock music, then you are OK in his book.

And as far as distrusting humankind....you didn't pick up on that theme in his books? I don't think it's a distrust to the point where he "hates" the world, but it is a "distrust" that keeps him at bay. He is afraid of the fans, he is afraid of the media, he is afraid of you, me, and everyone on this forum. Part of that fear is distrust.

But I understand that you are still in love with him. wub.gif That is part of the problem. Who wouldn't be? He is only the best rock drummer of all time.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jul 24 2007, 07:33 AM)
Not from a general standpoint.  He has his close friends, family (unfortunately what's left of them), confidants, and of course the band as his inner circle.  But outside of that, he doesn't want to have anything to do with anybody especially when one recognizes who he is in public.

If you're some recluse whose never heard of him, an elderly person who doesn't know Rush, part of some African tribe who has zero contact with the outside world, or an infant who has yet to experience the wonders of rock music, then you are OK in his book.

And as far as distrusting humankind....you didn't pick up on that theme in his books?  I don't think it's a distrust to the point where he "hates" the  world, but it is a "distrust" that keeps him at bay.  He is afraid of the fans, he is afraid of the media, he is afraid of you, me, and everyone on this forum.  Part of that fear is distrust.

Of course I pick up on those feelings from his books...you can't be a halfway intelligent person without noticing his reticence. Unfortunately part of it is simply his personality, and part of it, I think, comes from freaked out fans who truly have stalked and bothered him over the course of his career. The exception to that (again, from his books) would be someone who calmly approaches him and doesn't act like a total weirdo...from what I can tell, he doesn't seem to mind that on occasion. I think "fear" is the wrong word...I would say that he has an understandable apprehension about super-fans.

But I understand that you are still in love with him.  wub.gif  That is part of the problem.  Who wouldn't be?  He is only the best rock drummer of all time.

Yeah, well...of course he's tremendously talented. And I have certainly built a "I heart Neil" persona up on this board...it's fun and a part of GG's personality. In truth, I don't really WUV him...I admire him a lot and think he's a truly unique person with a sharp intellect and a fantastic sense of what's funny. I also know that he doesn't have the warm and fuzzy component that Alex (and sometimes Geddy) seems to have...but then, he wouldn't be Neil if he did.

So that's really how I feel...just so you know. But don't tell anybody, okay? wink.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 24 2007, 08:48 AM)
Not from a general standpoint.  He has his close friends, family (unfortunately what's left of them), confidants, and of course the band as his inner circle.  But outside of that, he doesn't want to have anything to do with anybody especially when one recognizes who he is in public.

If you're some recluse whose never heard of him, an elderly person who doesn't know Rush, part of some African tribe who has zero contact with the outside world, or an infant who has yet to experience the wonders of rock music, then you are OK in his book.

And as far as distrusting humankind....you didn't pick up on that theme in his books?  I don't think it's a distrust to the point where he "hates" the  world, but it is a "distrust" that keeps him at bay.  He is afraid of the fans, he is afraid of the media, he is afraid of you, me, and everyone on this forum.  Part of that fear is distrust.

Of course I pick up on those feelings from his books...you can't be a halfway intelligent person without noticing his reticence. Unfortunately part of it is simply his personality, and part of it, I think, comes from freaked out fans who truly have stalked and bothered him over the course of his career. The exception to that (again, from his books) would be someone who calmly approaches him and doesn't act like a total weirdo...from what I can tell, he doesn't seem to mind that on occasion. I think "fear" is the wrong word...I would say that he has an understandable apprehension about super-fans.

But I understand that you are still in love with him.  wub.gif  That is part of the problem.  Who wouldn't be?  He is only the best rock drummer of all time.

Yeah, well...of course he's tremendously talented. And I have certainly built a "I heart Neil" persona up on this board...it's fun and a part of GG's personality. In truth, I don't really WUV him...I admire him a lot and think he's a truly unique person with a sharp intellect and a fantastic sense of what's funny. I also know that he doesn't have the warm and fuzzy component that Alex (and sometimes Geddy) seems to have...but then, he wouldn't be Neil if he did.

So that's really how I feel...just so you know. But don't tell anybody, okay? wink.gif

It will be our secret. And I know you don't truely love him...that would be kind of wierd. It's rather a love from a distance.

It's not love at all, really.

In spite of my general uber-she-geekness about Rush and Neil, I'm not so biased that I can't see why people think him standoffish and unfriendly. I just happen to see beyond it and can see the reasons for it.

Dat's all.

QUOTE (Cavorticus @ Jul 23 2007, 11:26 AM)
I was working backstage on Saturday (7/21/07) and after the show ended, Neil Peart actually sprinted from the stadium. Not ran; sprinted.
What the heck is up with that?

A. Diarrhea
B. Had to pee
C. Family emergency
D. Total dick

wtf.gif

Don't you just love these drive by shootings???? waffen093.gif

Anyway, it couldn't have been A. Have you ever tried sprinting with diarrhea creeping up on you? It's impossible. It's more like a quick clenched waddle.

I'm to damned tired leaving work, sprint? no.gif stumble and crawl more like it. old.gif Funny that's the way i go in also! tongue.gif

Neil does explain why he does this in RoadShow (to beat traffic, relax etc.) But i still think he also wants to avoid contact with fans and people in general. HEY THERES NEIL!!! bolt.gif

QUOTE (Cavorticus @ Jul 23 2007, 05:34 PM)
wtf.gif
Again I say, "What the f**k!" because this was my first Rush show ever and I was amazed to see this. It was a simple question. So I registered on therushforum to get some insight and all I got was (mostly) bullshit "why bash Neil?" whiney bitches.
So it seems to be normal. OK. But it is still bizarre behaviour. I worked on Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Steely Dan, Def Leppard, and Tom Petty last year and never saw this sort of odd-ball sprinting out the back like a friggin' maniac before.
You all can suck it. Knee-jerk defending of a band based on a simple question just shows your jerkiness.
Since it will be my last Rush show ever, you don't need to bother to reply. I won't be back.
Thank you to those peeps that offered some insight and a real answer.

In homage to Cavorticus' first (and last) post:

I was hangin' on TRF on Monday (7/23/07) and all of a sudden, Cavorticus actually sprinted from the forum. Not ran; sprinted.

What the heck is up with that?

A. Diarrhea

B. Had to pee

C. Family emergency

D. Total dick

E. Drive-by Forum Troll

The last band I played in routinely did three-four hour gigs. Speaking from my own personal experiences I would have to say that Neil sprinted out of the venue because his pillow was calling him. That always did it for me.

zzzz

zzzz

zzzz

zzzz

beathorse.gif

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Jul 24 2007, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 23 2007, 01:18 PM)
I think it's because Neil is addicted to Facebook and wants to get to the nearest computer as quick as he can.

No...he's addicted to World of Warcraft and can't wait to pwn noobs.

I think it's myspace. He's on there ALL the time answering fan comments. tongue.gif