SPOILER!!! Nissan Pavillion- share your experience

Steel07

QUOTE (Joshua @ Jun 24 2007, 07:11 PM)
Neil was Neil, the seemingly emotionless machine of technical skill and professionalism we've come to expect and love.

Thanks for compliment on the pics my wife shot. Of the 100 or so shots she took, those I posted were really the only ones worth posting (the rest were blurred, etc...). At some point I may post the video she shot during Neils drum solo (a little over 3 minutes long) using our digital camera.

The only thing I would beg to differ on was Neil - I saw him smile at least a half dozen distinct times throughout the evening. I completely understand what you are saying, but Neil seemed to be in a genuinely good mood from my vantage (and I had a HELL of a great vantage point all night).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my son playing a complete "Fountain of Lamneth" (sans Didacts and Narpets.) That's R30Chris standing behind him.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/gandsome/DSCF0029.jpg

Many folks walked up to me and told me how impressed they were w/ the young man, and how they couldn't believe that he knew all the lyrics to "The Fountain." He and I thank you all for the compliments.

(Can't help being proud of the lad, you know!)

QUOTE (the_rage @ Jun 24 2007, 09:08 PM)
Any idea what those Samsung LCD monitors sitting on the floor were for? Alex and Geddy each had one. Lyrics?

Could be, but I doubt it. I know the lyrics to all of the songs they played, so I'm betting they do as well.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jun 24 2007, 08:13 PM)
Any idea what those Samsung LCD monitors sitting on the floor were for?  Alex and Geddy each had one.  Lyrics?

Could be, but I doubt it. I know the lyrics to all of the songs they played, so I'm betting they do as well.

Actually, that's EXACTLY what they seemed to be for. Looking down the stage from the front row I could see Geddy's LCD monitor (it was turned a bit inward) and could see LARGE print scrolling upwards occasionally. No pictures - just text. My guess is lyrics (only in case he/they needed to cheat occasionally).

QUOTE (workingman @ Jun 24 2007, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jun 24 2007, 08:13 PM)
Any idea what those Samsung LCD monitors sitting on the floor were for?  Alex and Geddy each had one.  Lyrics?

Actually, that's EXACTLY what they seemed to be for. Looking down the stage from the front row I could see Geddy's LCD monitor (it was turned a bit inward) and could see LARGE print scrolling upwards occasionally. No pictures - just text. My guess is lyrics (only in case he/they needed to cheat occasionally).

I agree. Better to have them and not need them. Doing what they do night after night, you can't let your mind wander at all as you play. They got so much going on besides singing as they play their instruments - sample triggers, effects pedals, interacting with the crowd, the occasional signal to a tech sidestage. Good to be able to glance down at the lyric scroll if need be to remind you where you're at.

QUOTE (Joshua @ Jun 24 2007, 07:11 PM)
*sigh* Time Stand Still. They didn't play it, but those lyrics totally express how I feel about that whole evening.

Im not looking back
But I want to look around me now
See more of the people
And the places that surround me now

Freeze this moment
A little bit longer
Make each sensation
A little bit stronger
Experience slips away...

What came afterwards was the best of the night... Subdivisions, Natural Science, Witch Hunt, MalNar, Drum Solo... there's where I peaked in terms of enjoyment; singing along loudly/airdrumming/conducting/whatever-it-was-I-was-doing... just AMAZING!

Special thanks to workingman and his wife for the posted pics. I'll treasure them always, as this was my BEST concert experience ever!!! wub.gif

wanted to requote the lyrics of Time Stands Still because that is exactly how I felt...and probably the same with everyone that will get the chance to see them this tour. I wanted time to stand still...I wanted that night to last forever...I dont ever, ever want to forget that experience.

I completely agree about those 3 songs, 1 instrumental, and drum solo. That was concert at the peak. The lighting was fantastic...the video were amazing...it was just the best part of the entire concert. I know that when my friend and I were basically spazzing because of the amount of head bobbing, singing along, air drumming...basically every type of movement. WOW. Words just cant describe. It was just perfect. What a great setlist they had for us...seriously.

It makes me feel really happy that I am hearing a lot of people saying this was their best concert of their lives. This was my first Rush concert...probably 10th overall concert and I feel like it was the best. I can imagine some of you seeing 50 or even more concerts in their life and still holding that this was one of the best if not their best concert experience. Just absolutly incredible to think about the talent these 3 guys have after over 30 years. They are one of a kind.

Geddy said 'hope to see you soon' ... so im taking that they will come back around.

QUOTE (Steel07 @ Jun 24 2007, 11:16 AM)
This was my first Rush concert and I had such a kickass time. WOW. I mean I was blown away with every damn song and just mesmerized by the talent all three of them have. I have never seen anything so amazing.

When Limelight kicked off the concert so much emotion was running through me. I was thinking "Holy shit...I am seeing RUSH...Geddy Lee is right there". Excitement and happiness ran through me and I felt like I was going to cry.

I was completely hypnotized by their music. I thought they did a great job with Entre Nous...I was very very impressed! It was definitly a highlight for me. Mission...omg. Amazing. They did an incredible job with it...that was another really emotional song for me.

Freewill, Subdivisions, Spirit of Radio. ALL of them were fantastic. The crowd got really involved with these hits and it was just fun to watch the faces of all people who know these tunes inside and out. Everyone was ecstatic when they played...which is why they need to play their hits. Tom Sawyer. hahahaha. i LOVED the intro! My uncle said after the 7th Rush concert he has been to that this was the best he has heard Tom Sawyer. I believed him because I thought it was absolutely flawless.

Their new album. I have to say it sounds much much better live. All the instrumentals were perfect...so happy they included all of them. You really saw Alex's talent with Hope. Beautiful piece of work. Then MalNar was superb. None of them compare to The Main Monkey Business...wow that song totally rocked live. It's unlike any instrumentals they ever done. I was upset when I saw people walking out when they started playing this song...in my head I was thinking "are you f***ing serious"...Even if it's new...it's one of the best songs I have heard in a long time. I loved Far Cry as the opening for set two. It really started off the second set with a bang. The way the wind blows was awesome live. And I liked the video to Larger Bowl. Got their point across without being too preachy (unlike the Roger Waters concert).

Circumstances...a bit disappointed just because I was really looking forward to it. It was a good performance but Geddy's voice just can't go as high as it once was. Still a great song to hear live...but they had to change it up a bit. Still great though.

Between the Wheels and Dreamline ended the first set really well. I honestly didn't want it to end because Dreamline just really pumped me up and the crowd as well. The lights and the video to go with it. It worked really well.

Natural Science was by far the best in my opinion. OMFG. Coming in, that was the one I wanted to hear the most...but it exceeded my exptectations by far. It just completely rocked live! I absolutely loved the video that went with it and I just loved jammin to that tune. My friend and I just got so into it...we had a blast with that one. It was probably the best song I ever heard live at all the concerts I have been to (which isn't much compared to some of you).

Witch Hunt too. The show they put on for that song blew me away. It's a great song to hear live. To be honest, I wasn't too happy when I saw they were gonna do One Little Victory as their start for the encore. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed that song live. I would have probably preferred an older tune but the song really worked well live. I was pleased. Passage to Bangkok too. I swore I got huge whiff of pot soon when that song ended...I thought it was an appropriate time. hah. I was sooo happy they did that one and I think the whole audience was pleased. It was absolutely great to hear. YYZ was the best to close the show with. Everyone jammin to this song and pulling off their air guitar and air drums...it was amazing to see.

Ok. now I have to talk about the Drum Solo. OMFG. I was in complete awe as well as the other thousands of audience members watching the best drummer in the history of rock n roll creating a beautiful masterpiece. It's unbelievable how much talent Neil Peart has. It's seriously incredible. Like I said, this was my first Rush concert so I didn't know what to expect from the Drum Solo...but it completely blew me away. Words just can't express it...you have to see it to believe it. Even if you not a Rush fan...you have to witness that just because it's unlike anything you have ever seen.

I think I now understand why people see them multiple times during their tours. I would love to see this show again. And I really hope they have more tours left in them. I really wanna see them again. But I am so grateful for seeing them once...I mean this is the best a band can get. There will never be another Rush.

Sorry, for the long post. Once I get started, can't really stop. So fellow people at Nissan...or anyone who has seen them so far...comment on your experience? What was your highlight? Lowpoint (if any)? Did it exceed expectations or did you expect more?

Hi Steel07,

I'm glad you had such a fun time. I was there also at Nissan and it kicked ass!

Hopefully the guys will be back for future shows!

QUOTE (PolyesterSlacks @ Jun 24 2007, 10:03 PM)
Hi Steel07,
I'm glad you had such a fun time. I was there also at Nissan and it kicked ass!

Hopefully the guys will be back for future shows!

I'm crossing my fingers...I hope they at least have a Farewell Tour...then ten years later do a Reunion Tour. All just wishful thinking...

What an awesome show!

This was lucky show #13 for me (first show was on the Presto tour). I did my best to avoid the setlist for this tour, because I wanted to be surprised. I guess I'm like a kid on Christmas morning when it comes to Rush concerts. My wife and I had a great time meeting up with all of the TRF'ers before the show. I had a blast talking, jamming, drinking and eating with all of you. I'm definitely there next time Rush rolls into town!

Some of the highlights for me... and there were MANY... were Digital Man, Entre Nous and Mission back to back! All three of those songs were definitely surprises (even though I heard a bit of Entre Nous during soundcheck). I wish I hadn't, because that was one of the biggest surprises of the night! Still, it was great to hear it live. I thought it sounded fantastic! It was great to hear Circumstances live after such a long hiatus. It wasn't as exciting as some of the other "surprises" for me, but it was still awesome to hear for the first time! Finally, I was extremely pleased that Between the Wheels remained in the setlist from the R30 tour. This was the highlight of the R30 tour for me, and this song certainly kicked some gluteus max at Nissan Pavilion! I have to also point out that the opening film was pretty damn funny, especially the dream sequence and Geddy portraying the fat Scotsman! laugh.gif

The second set, as I predicted, opened with Far Cry. This song simply kicked my ass! It is one of my favorites from S&A and it did not disappoint! The images and effects accompanying this song were perhaps the best of the evening, IMO. Such a great song! This was followed by four more S&A tunes. Ironically, Workin' Them Angels (my LEAST favorite of the bunch) actually turned out to be my FAVORITE S&A tune of the evening, save for maybe Far Cry. It just translated to the stage so well and sounded so powerful. It was also cool to see Alex strumming on the mandola for that song. Next was a great string of three amazing tunes. Subdivisions NEVER disappoints, and as far as I'm concerned, they can play that on every tour. Natural Science was a bit of a surprise, considering they played it on two recent tours, but it was great to hear it again. But the biggest surprise came when the opening strains of Witch Hunt were played. I was in complete shock. I couldn't believe it! I have been wanting them to play this song since as far as I can remember. It was simply AMAZING! The pyro at the beginning of the song was really cool as well. This was probably the highlight of the night for me. I was in Rush nirvana at this point! Neil's solo. What can be said? I'm a drummer of almost 25 years and Neil is IT. He still has it. I am always blown away by his solos. There were lots of new additions this time. I especially liked the industrial-sounding part he played on his electronic kit, and the new passage he played on his vibes. I knew Alex would play Hope following the drum solo. This was a nice touch instead of doing Resist again. Summertime Blues was unexpected, but fun nevertheless. I would have opted for another Rush original, but I was singing along to this classic. Spirit and Tom are givens, but I enjoy them every time. They can stay in the set forever as far as I'm concerned. The South Park video was perhaps the funniest opening of the evening, IMO. That was just classic! Cartman ruled as usual! Unfortunately, I knew the end was coming when I heard these two classics. Another Rush show has ended all too quickly!

On to the encores... One Little Victory was great to hear again, as it's one of my favorites from VT. The little boo boo was funny at the beginning of the song. Oh well. I was happy to see the dragon footage again! Next was... holy shit... Passage to Bangkok, with the Rick, no less! My wife actually predicted this song, and I was floored when they played it. It was another awesome surprise, and it sounded great, even though Geddy sang the verses in a lower register. WOW! And of course YYZ. This is another staple that is played at almost every Rush show. It might have been cool if they OPENED with YYZ and played Limelight last... that would have been cool, come to think of it!

All in all, this was an amazing show and the boys really nailed most of the performances. I was just floored by some of the song selections. They really mixed it up this time around. They could come out and play ANYTHING and I would be happy. There was a guy in front of me before the show, saying "You're going to be disappointed with the setlist...blah blah... too many songs from S&A." Whatever. I thought the setlist was AMAZING! I can't wait for the Camden show in two weeks! I hope everyone enjoys this tour.

QUOTE (workingman @ Jun 24 2007, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 24 2007, 05:00 PM)
^^^WOW - EXCELLENT photos!!!  smile.gif

Thanks. Of course, the thanks go to my wife, since I was more interested in taking in every nuance of the show last night. Security let her roam around the entire front row and take all the pics she wanted. I was more interested in watching THE SHOW.

Great shots and well lit. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Many of these shots had bright back lighting which usually tends to screw up the foreground exposure. I am impressed with how clear they came out under tough lighting conditions. May I ask what type of camera she uses?

Tortoise

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jun 24 2007, 08:02 PM)
Here's my son playing a complete "Fountain of Lamneth" (sans Didacts and Narpets.) That's R30Chris standing behind him.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/gandsome/DSCF0029.jpg

Many folks walked up to me and told me how impressed they were w/ the young man, and how they couldn't believe that he knew all the lyrics to "The Fountain." He and I thank you all for the compliments.

(Can't help being proud of the lad, you know!)

You should be very proud of the lad. What a great story and photo! 1022.gif

QUOTE (limbo @ Jun 25 2007, 10:36 AM)
this stinks listening to everybody having such a great time while i sit here with my thumb up my butt i dont think that i can hold out until sept. 9 with out going crazzy

I feel that. I have to wait until September as well, but here's a bit of a silver lining:

By September, the days have gotten shorter as compared to June, which means (much?) more of the first set will be dark which means better lights/vidz/effects, etc.

confused13.gif

Hey it's the best I could come up with.

Great show from the boys, even with a couple of mistakes (BIG DEAL), they were hilarious all night. A few surprises too in the set Circumstances, etc. Could have done without Natural Science (3 tours in a row - maybe 4? - they must really like that song). I would rather of heard Jacob's Ladder but oh well. Can't please everyone. Thank god they got rid of Roll The bones this tour. The drum solo was amazing - thanks Neil.

The new material sounded great. I love all of the visuals especially at the end of Workin' Them Angels, with the angels wings on the troops - then the whole crowd started screaming YEEEAAHHHHH!! That was cool. The films were hilarious. Glad to see the guys from South Park finally did something for the boys. Very cool. I think Alex is going to be an actor - maybe. Great show, possibly the best I've seen.

smakawhat...here is the setlist...and how I felt about it live...

1ST SET

Limelight**

Digital Man**

Entre Nous**

Mission**

Freewill**

Main Monkey Business**

Larger Bowl

Secret Touch

Circumstances*

Between the Wheels*

Dreamline*

2ND SET

Far Cry

Workin them Angels

Armor and Sword

Spindrift

Way the Wind Blows

Subdivisions***

Natural Science***

Witch Hunt***

Malignant Narcissism***

Drum Solo***

Hope***

Summertime Blues

Spirit of Radio**

Tom Sawyer**

ENCORE

One Little Victory

Passage to Bangkok***

YYZ***

*=strongest part(s) in my opinion of course...

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jun 26 2007, 05:50 AM)
That first set was so good I thought they ended it early; I just didn't want it to be over.

I hear you on that - but IMHO the second set had more energy. Not sure why (just my perception), but they seemed to "kick it up a notch" during the second set and encore.

3 hour+ show and it still seemed to end too quickly. sad.gif

Until next time...

I agree. I felt like the show started off with a bang especially with Limelight and Freewill. That's where you could really see the crowds energy. But the beginning of the show doesnt compare to the energy in the 2nd set. Even during the Snakes and Arrows songs the energy was right there. It just started with Far Cry. The light show was fantastic...the pyro. It really was kicked up a notch. But soon when they played subdivisions...wow. That was like back to back to back to back...etc...It was just unbelievable. The guys were having a blast and the crowd was having a blast. Just perfect.

Man, I still can't believe they played some of the stuff they played. WITCH HUNT!!! Just when you thought they were getting fairly predictable, they whip out Digital Man, Entre Nous, Circumstances, Mission, Witch Hunt, Bangkok, etc. This was by far the most surprises I've encountered at a Rush concert since I started going to see them on the Presto tour. A lot of albums were left out, but I didn't even notice it until after the show. I think the setlist for this tour is fantastic!

I for one had an awesome time. It was very cool meeting some of you guys before the show. I'm kind-of in a funk right now because I'd been looking forward to the show for months and now I don't really have anything coming up soon to look forward to.

I thought the sound was great (I was in section 201). We were in the 3rd row of the section. A lot of people behind me were sitting down. I was very thankful that the people who were in front of me were standing so that I wouldn't feel guilty about standing as well.

Me being a '70s throwback, I wished they had pulled out more from the epic era. Off the top of my head, I don't believe there were any songs longer than about 6-7 minutes. At least we played Lamneth, Return Of The Prince, Broon's Bane, The Trees in the parking lot before the show.

Too bad the cops chased us out of the parking lot after the show. I had a couple good hours of guitar playing left in me.

As with the rest of our bunch, I was stoked to hear the Entre Nous soundcheck but at the same time didn't want to hear it. Bangkok was of course awesome. The Gibson sound for Lerxst seemed to work great all night. Not a bad song on the setlist.

I think I might have to try to catch another show later on in the tour.

Archived