Definition of a TRUE Rush fan

GeddyisGOD

Hi Everybody!

Though I may not be the fan who goes to all their concert tours over the last 30 + years; I've only been a fan for 25 of 'em. I've only seen Geddy, Alex & Neil perform six times; gonna be seven come Snakes & Arrows in Houston.

I may not be the most dedicated, loyal fan in this forum...in this world; but I'm a fan nontheless...and always & forever will be.

As many of you who have read my posts, I'm a Catholic; and I'm gonna go so far as to say Rush is a religion for me...and has been for quite some time.

Like many people here, I buy what I can afford...and sometimes a little more. I don't have every single item of merchandise they have put out; yet, I have what I feel is of utmost importance = their recordings...some boots...all official releases. And with that, I feel I'm supporting them well enough...and I'm sure they appreciate. With every new recording, I watch, read, study and go so far as to memorize = I LOVE IT ALL...EVERYTHING...even Dog Years.

For some reason, Rush has been avoiding New Orleans for the last 11 years; and I think I know why. Thus, I flew to Atlanta to see Vapor Trails; and drove to Houston for R 30...and once again.

Does doing that make me a better fan; a more true fan than anyone else here. ABSOLUTELY NOT. What it says is that I'm like the rest of many here...I LOVE RUSH...AND ALWAYS WILL...NO MATTER WHAT THEY PRODUCE...I WILL ALWAYS BE A FAN.

My friends, I thank you for your time.

Take care.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2007, 11:05 AM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 20 2007, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2007, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 02:46 PM)
I'm new to the board, but I see a lot of Rush bashing going on here, especially in relation to S&A.

imo, the definition of a TRUE Rush fan is someone who has grown and evolved along with the band; someone who isn't still stuck on 2112 or "Tom Sawyer" as the pinnacle of Rush's career. Imo, Rush CAN DO NO WRONG -- I love some songs and albums more than others, but overall, I love EVERYTHING they do. Now THAT is a TRUE Rush fan.

I realize that not everyone will love everything the band does, and that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But if you're on these forums hating on Rush, then you are not a TRUE fan. 
beathorse.gif

So, now that I'm done my little rant, what is your definition of a TRUE Rush fan?

coked up rush fan yes.gif

Well yeah, but I never knew they could be this much fun... Maybe I oughta do a few lines and listen to Cygnus X-1 sometime?

You could never be a coked up Rush fan.

Close, but no. You listen and like other bands,/musicians.

My bet is that this guy has an altar in his home that he burns incense at and recites incantations in hopes to travel astrally and meet up with the boys or some such coked up fantasy.

Wow, the little imaginations sure are working overtime now!

If you're interested in FACTS, I was never really into coke -- weed was my drug of choice, but I gave that up years ago.

Now I'm just NATURALLY annoying. biggrin.gif

I also do listen to and enjoy other bands and musicians. This summer alone I've seen Steely Dan, Heart, Rush, and soon The Police.

So put THAT in your crack pipe and smoke it! cool10.gif

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2007, 11:05 AM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 20 2007, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2007, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 02:46 PM)
I'm new to the board, but I see a lot of Rush bashing going on here, especially in relation to S&A.

imo, the definition of a TRUE Rush fan is someone who has grown and evolved along with the band; someone who isn't still stuck on 2112 or "Tom Sawyer" as the pinnacle of Rush's career. Imo, Rush CAN DO NO WRONG -- I love some songs and albums more than others, but overall, I love EVERYTHING they do. Now THAT is a TRUE Rush fan.

I realize that not everyone will love everything the band does, and that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But if you're on these forums hating on Rush, then you are not a TRUE fan. 
beathorse.gif

So, now that I'm done my little rant, what is your definition of a TRUE Rush fan?

coked up rush fan yes.gif

Well yeah, but I never knew they could be this much fun... Maybe I oughta do a few lines and listen to Cygnus X-1 sometime?

You could never be a coked up Rush fan.

Close, but no. You listen and like other bands,/musicians.

My bet is that this guy has an altar in his home that he burns incense at and recites incantations in hopes to travel astrally and meet up with the boys or some such coked up fantasy.

Wow, the little imaginations sure are working overtime now!

If you're interested in FACTS, I was never really into coke -- weed was my drug of choice, but I gave that up years ago.

Now I'm just NATURALLY annoying. biggrin.gif

I also do listen to and enjoy other bands and musicians. This summer alone I've seen Steely Dan, Heart, Rush, and soon The Police.

So put THAT in your crack pipe and smoke it! cool10.gif

wink.gif coked up Rush fan is a term that has been coined here.

To describe overboard Rush fans who like to determine the criteria to be a Rush fan.

Shame about Heart and the Police.

I like this thread, it was obviously intended in good fun. Certainly there are degrees of Rush fandom. Do you like all the albums, or only a few? Do you see them once a tour or 2-3 times? Are they your favorite band or just one that you sort of like?

But if you try to compete with others on this forum, then you cross the line into obsessive. If you insist that every song is a masterpiece and attack anyone that criticises anything, you are just a fanboy. It's ok to notice that your lunch cost $21.12 and smile... but if you frame the receipt, tell all your friends and call the local newspaper you need help!

There are so many rational reasons to be a big fan of Rush. How many bands grace the cover of all the music magazines (guitar, bass, drums) every time they release a new CD?? How many bands these days play a 3 hour show with lights, lasers, fire, etc.? How many bands are still growing and changing after 30 years, and have such a great sense of humor?

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 20 2007, 11:49 AM)
WATCH OUT, IT'S A TRAP!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/ackbar.jpg

"That's my line!"

After wading through 3 pages of this, I have reached the following conclusion:

A true Rush fan is anyone who considers themself to be a true Rush fan. Period.

To paraphrase Tyler Durden:

You are not your Rush CD or DVD collection.

You are not the number of Rush shows you have seen.

You are not your post count on TRF.

You are not your t-shirt, button, tourbook, hat, poster, or any other kind of swag collection.

You are not your Rickenbacker 4001, your Gibson ES-335, or your DW drumkit.

You are a true Rush fan if your answer to the question "are you a Rush fan?" is "yes".

QUOTE (rkarlberg @ Jun 20 2007, 11:32 AM)
I like this thread, it was obviously intended in good fun. Certainly there are degrees of Rush fandom. Do you like all the albums, or only a few? Do you see them once a tour or 2-3 times? Are they your favorite band or just one that you sort of like?

But if you try to compete with others on this forum, then you cross the line into obsessive. If you insist that every song is a masterpiece and attack anyone that criticises anything, you are just a fanboy. It's ok to notice that your lunch cost $21.12 and smile... but if you frame the receipt, tell all your friends and call the local newspaper you need help!

There are so many rational reasons to be a big fan of Rush. How many bands grace the cover of all the music magazines (guitar, bass, drums) every time they release a new CD?? How many bands these days play a 3 hour show with lights, lasers, fire, etc.? How many bands are still growing and changing after 30 years, and have such a great sense of humor?

FINALLY, someone who GETS it! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 20 2007, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (rushman14 @ Jun 20 2007, 10:30 AM)
I've seen Rush 44 times starting with AFTK tour. I'm gonna hit the 50 mark this year, not to mention I love all their records. and you know what dude? Not only am I a true fan, I'm a bigger fan than you! I'm a bigger fan than everyone on this board! I'm the biggest fan in the world!  common001.gif

so let me ask you people, what is your definition of biggest fan in the world? clearly there is only one answer: rushman14.

wink.gif

You just may be right about that, rushman. But which Rush album do you hate the most?

Wait wait wait, you dirty bastard... I thought if we disliked any material, we were to be exiled??

Shhhh!! I'm testing him.... wink.gif

I don't hate any of their albums. Do i pass?

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Jun 20 2007, 12:00 PM)
I'M the definition of a true Rush fan  wink.gif  tongue.gif

A TRUE Rush fan is someone who sleeps with other TRUE Rush fans. wub.gif

unsure.gif unsure.gif I don't get it...

QUOTE (Tom C @ Jun 20 2007, 11:10 AM)
Oh, and to be a true Rush fan you have to be aged over 40 with a beer-belly and a mullet.

Uh oh. Now I'm REALLY in trouble. unsure.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2007, 11:16 AM)
Shame about Heart and the Police.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Fat Organ @ Jun 20 2007, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 10:47 AM)
I've seen Rush 44 times starting with AFTK tour. I'm gonna hit the 50 mark this year, not to mention I love all their records. and you know what dude? Not only am I a true fan, I'm a bigger fan than you! I'm a bigger fan than everyone on this board! I'm the biggest fan in the world!  common001.gif

so let me ask you people, what is your definition of biggest fan in the world? clearly there is only one answer: rushman14.

wink.gif

You just may be right about that, rushman. But which Rush album do you hate the most?

Wait wait wait, you dirty bastard... I thought if we disliked any material, we were to be exiled??

I don't hate any of their albums. Do i pass?

CHEATER! tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 08:47 AM)

wink.gif

I love all their records! Phew.

oh wait, there is one song I hate, Anagram. I guess I'm only a HUGE fan. Dang. eh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 20 2007, 11:51 AM)
After wading through 3 pages of this, I have reached the following conclusion:

A true Rush fan is anyone who considers themself to be a true Rush fan. Period.

To paraphrase Tyler Durden:

You are not your Rush CD or DVD collection.
You are not the number of Rush shows you have seen.
You are not your post count on TRF.
You are not your t-shirt, button, tourbook, hat, poster, or any other kind of swag collection.
You are not your Rickenbacker 4001, your Gibson ES-335, or your DW drumkit.
You are a true Rush fan if your answer to the question "are you a Rush fan?" is "yes".

goodpost.gif

Very true...I hate when these things turn into a pissing contest. Someone always has a wider stream! wink.gif

I can tell you that Mustard is a true fan, In terms of today, "YO Dude, as I grab my crotch, 2 pull my PANTS up. 2.gif , 1022.gif

Anybody who willingly joins an online forum and spends countless hours typing in silly posts has got to be considered a true fan, regardless of what albums they despise.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 20 2007, 09:55 AM)
A true Rush fan is someone who is willing to sleep with Neil, Geddy, or Alex.

Ghostgirl and I fit this category, so we're true fans.

I willing to sleep with you and GhostGirl.

Does that make me a true fan by proxy? wink.gif

QUOTE (Cyberdude @ Jun 20 2007, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 20 2007, 09:55 AM)
A true Rush fan is someone who is willing to sleep with Neil, Geddy, or Alex.

Ghostgirl and I fit this category, so we're true fans.

I willing to sleep with you and GhostGirl.

Does that make me a true fan by proxy? wink.gif

ohmy.gif

A true Rush fan doesnt say they love them and then slam them in the very next sentence.

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 11:13 AM)
I'm just NATURALLY annoying. biggrin.gif

^^ The only thing you've said that I agree with.

Love,

A "true" Rush Fan

Archived