Definition of a TRUE Rush fan

GeddyisGOD

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2007, 09:39 AM)
One who comes to be a fan because of Neil's books...and his charming yet unconventional good looks and amazing talent. One who knows every word to every song and loves most of them, while maintaining an affectionate appreciation for even the worst stuff (i.e. Dog Years). One who wears her Rush shirts proudly, even when most people in her geographical location don't have a clue. laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Very impressive indeed. Methinks you are in fact a TRUE fan! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 20 2007, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 20 2007, 09:17 AM)
Ok, Mr GisG, tell me if you think I'm a true fan. Lay some of your obvious and all-encompassing wisdom upon me.  They've been my ultimate favourite band since 1983. Have every album, of course, but I absolutely despise T4E, and am not a big fan of CP at all either. T4E I rate as the worst album of all time by a band that I love. I'm also flying to North America (from Australia) in July specifically to see them, just as I did back in '02 for the VT tour. 'True fan', by your definition, or not?

NOT!!!

You're definitely a HUGE fan, but you're not a TRUE fan. And there is a difference. But I still love ya! wub.gif

Oh F*CK!! For almost 25 years I thought I WAS a true fan! And now some dude from 'Bradenton FL' comes along and shatters an almost quarter of a century old illusion in 2 seconds! That's it, time to die! Gunna kill myself by forcing my entire Rush vinyl/CD/DVD collection down my own throat. Goodbye, everyone!!!!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to shatter your fragile illusions. You can certainly go on thinking you're a TRUE fan if you want to...but we need HUGE fans as well. And for Ged's sake, if you're really intent on doing yourself in, please don't harm the Rush albums in the process. Go swim with manta rays or something instead.

GiG

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 20 2007, 09:55 AM)
A true Rush fan is someone who is willing to sleep with Neil, Geddy, or Alex.

Ghostgirl and I fit this category, so we're true fans.

Jeez, you almost make it sounds like they're undesirable or something....

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 20 2007, 09:42 AM)
Ok, fine, I'll have a go... I like this guy.

Ok, so I own every studio album they've put out... I own most of them on CD, three or four on vinyl. I have all but two live albums, two live DVD's, three or four shirts, and two posters.

I waited on the edge of my seat for three years before I finally saw them live (Atlanta, this tour), and I had the time of my life. It was amazing.

BUT! They have released many lackluster observations, in my opinion. Presto was mostly bad, Roll the Bones was 50/50, Counterparts was decent, but not so great... Test For Echo is by far their worst, and is a horrible record. Vapor Trails was decent but the sound quality is horrible, and S&A is a 50/50 record for me... just like RtB (although it IS better than RtB).

And... let's not forget the self titled album.

So, new guy, am I a true fan?

Well, you're definitely a fan of some of their work, but it certainly doesn't sound like the TRUE fan criteria have been met.

But that doesn't mean we still can't be friends... trink39.gif

No... I have failed....

Goodbye cruel world!

*impales himself with Rickenbacker 4001*

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 10:08 AM)
Ok, Mr GisG, tell me if you think I'm a true fan. Lay some of your obvious and all-encompassing wisdom upon me.  They've been my ultimate favourite band since 1983. Have every album, of course, but I absolutely despise T4E, and am not a big fan of CP at all either. T4E I rate as the worst album of all time by a band that I love. I'm also flying to North America (from Australia) in July specifically to see them, just as I did back in '02 for the VT tour. 'True fan', by your definition, or not?

NOT!!!

You're definitely a HUGE fan, but you're not a TRUE fan. And there is a difference. But I still love ya! wub.gif

Oh F*CK!! For almost 25 years I thought I WAS a true fan! And now some dude from 'Bradenton FL' comes along and shatters an almost quarter of a century old illusion in 2 seconds! That's it, time to die! Gunna kill myself by forcing my entire Rush vinyl/CD/DVD collection down my own throat. Goodbye, everyone!!!!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to shatter your fragile illusions. You can certainly go on thinking you're a TRUE fan if you want to...but we need HUGE fans as well. And for Ged's sake, if you're really intent on doing yourself in, please don't harm the Rush albums in the process. Go swim with manta rays or something instead.

GiG

I haven't killed myself. I came back from the brink after Ghostgirl's post and the thought of the fact that 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of all other Rush fans would consider me a 'true' fan!

laugh.gif

Well, obviously Neil is my first choice. Then Alex. Then Geddy.

Separate dates, of course. z7shysterical.gif

I fell over the "crowd control" fence in 77, when I was 14. It was at the old Tarrent County covention center in Ft. Worth Tx, My dad got in free, but waited in the lobby. I remember some guy held up a sign, Acid 0.25 a hit. I bought this sticker like thing, had no clue rofl3.gif . Can I be a die hard fan? Got many stories, but I don't want to sound like the old man I am at 43..

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2007, 09:39 AM)
One who comes to be a fan because of Neil's books...and his charming yet unconventional good looks and amazing talent.  One who knows every word to every song and loves most of them, while maintaining an affectionate appreciation for even the worst stuff (i.e. Dog Years).  One who wears her Rush shirts proudly, even when most people in her geographical location don't have a clue.  laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Very impressive indeed. Methinks you are in fact a TRUE fan! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Wow!

You like me! You really, really like me!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 11:09 AM)

Jeez, you almost make it sounds like they're undesirable or something....

Well, I'll be seeing all three tonight. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 20 2007, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 10:08 AM)

NOT!!!

GiG

I haven't killed myself. I came back from the brink after Ghostgirl's post and the thought of the fact that 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of all other Rush fans would consider me a 'true' fan!

99.99999999999999999999999999% of all other Rush fans would be wrong. tongue.gif

QUOTE (jltr2112 @ Jun 20 2007, 10:00 AM)
Where every four digit combination whether a atm card password, alarm code, or bike lock combination is :

Good thing you guys don't know where i live..lol

You too, eh?

QUOTE (abc @ Jun 20 2007, 10:13 AM)
I fell over the "crowd control" fence in 77, when I was 14. It was at the old Tarrent County covention center in Ft. Worth Tx, My dad got in free, but waited in the lobby. I remember some guy held up a sign, Acid 0.25 a hit. I bought this sticker like thing, had no clue rofl3.gif . Can I be a die hard fan? Got many stories, but I don't want to sound like the old man I am at 43..

Hmmmmm....I dunno. You've said nothing of their actual WORK, so you could just be a poseur. sad.gif

I've seen Rush 44 times starting with AFTK tour. I'm gonna hit the 50 mark this year, not to mention I love all their records. and you know what dude? Not only am I a true fan, I'm a bigger fan than you! I'm a bigger fan than everyone on this board! I'm the biggest fan in the world! common001.gif

so let me ask you people, what is your definition of biggest fan in the world? clearly there is only one answer: rushman14.

wink.gif

Definition of the FALSE Rush fan: 'people who sign up onto Rush forums and immediately claim authority as to exactly what constitutes a 'true' Rush fan'

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Jun 20 2007, 10:30 AM)
I've seen Rush 44 times starting with AFTK tour. I'm gonna hit the 50 mark this year, not to mention I love all their records. and you know what dude? Not only am I a true fan, I'm a bigger fan than you! I'm a bigger fan than everyone on this board! I'm the biggest fan in the world! common001.gif

so let me ask you people, what is your definition of biggest fan in the world? clearly there is only one answer: rushman14.

wink.gif

You just may be right about that, rushman. But which Rush album do you hate the most?

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 11:40 AM)
I've seen Rush 44 times starting with AFTK tour. I'm gonna hit the 50 mark this year, not to mention I love all their records. and you know what dude? Not only am I a true fan, I'm a bigger fan than you! I'm a bigger fan than everyone on this board! I'm the biggest fan in the world!  common001.gif

wink.gif

You just may be right about that, rushman. But which Rush album do you hate the most?

Wait wait wait, you dirty bastard... I thought if we disliked any material, we were to be exiled??

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 20 2007, 10:34 AM)
Definition of the FALSE Rush fan: 'people who sign up onto Rush forums and immediately claim authority as to exactly what constitutes a 'true' Rush fan'

Don't be hatin', be participatin'.

I never claimed I was an authority. Everything I said was IN MY OPINION.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 20 2007, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 11:40 AM)
I've seen Rush 44 times starting with AFTK tour. I'm gonna hit the 50 mark this year, not to mention I love all their records. and you know what dude? Not only am I a true fan, I'm a bigger fan than you! I'm a bigger fan than everyone on this board! I'm the biggest fan in the world!  common001.gif

wink.gif

Wait wait wait, you dirty bastard... I thought if we disliked any material, we were to be exiled??

Shhhh!! I'm testing him.... wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 02:46 PM)
I'm new to the board, but I see a lot of Rush bashing going on here, especially in relation to S&A.

imo, the definition of a TRUE Rush fan is someone who has grown and evolved along with the band; someone who isn't still stuck on 2112 or "Tom Sawyer" as the pinnacle of Rush's career. Imo, Rush CAN DO NO WRONG -- I love some songs and albums more than others, but overall, I love EVERYTHING they do. Now THAT is a TRUE Rush fan.

I realize that not everyone will love everything the band does, and that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But if you're on these forums hating on Rush, then you are not a TRUE fan.
beathorse.gif

So, now that I'm done my little rant, what is your definition of a TRUE Rush fan?

coked up rush fan yes.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2007, 12:01 PM)
I'm new to the board, but I see a lot of Rush bashing going on here, especially in relation to S&A.

imo, the definition of a TRUE Rush fan is someone who has grown and evolved along with the band; someone who isn't still stuck on 2112 or "Tom Sawyer" as the pinnacle of Rush's career. Imo, Rush CAN DO NO WRONG -- I love some songs and albums more than others, but overall, I love EVERYTHING they do. Now THAT is a TRUE Rush fan.

I realize that not everyone will love everything the band does, and that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But if you're on these forums hating on Rush, then you are not a TRUE fan. 
beathorse.gif

So, now that I'm done my little rant, what is your definition of a TRUE Rush fan?

Well yeah, but I never knew they could be this much fun... Maybe I oughta do a few lines and listen to Cygnus X-1 sometime?

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 20 2007, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2007, 12:01 PM)

beathorse.gif

Well yeah, but I never knew they could be this much fun... Maybe I oughta do a few lines and listen to Cygnus X-1 sometime?

You could never be a coked up Rush fan.

Close, but no. You listen and like other bands,/musicians.

My bet is that this guy has an altar in his home that he burns incense at and recites incantations in hopes to travel astrally and meet up with the boys or some such coked up fantasy.

A True Rush fan is someone who listens to what Rush do, and is quite prepared to criticise them when things do not come up to true Rush standards.

You don't have to think everything is the bee's knees to be a true Rush fan, don't be a sheep, think about things.

Oh, and to be a true Rush fan you have to be aged over 40 with a beer-belly and a mullet.

Archived