Definition of a TRUE Rush fan

GeddyisGOD

I'm new to the board, but I see a lot of Rush bashing going on here, especially in relation to S&A.

imo, the definition of a TRUE Rush fan is someone who has grown and evolved along with the band; someone who isn't still stuck on 2112 or "Tom Sawyer" as the pinnacle of Rush's career. Imo, Rush CAN DO NO WRONG -- I love some songs and albums more than others, but overall, I love EVERYTHING they do. Now THAT is a TRUE Rush fan.

I realize that not everyone will love everything the band does, and that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But if you're on these forums hating on Rush, then you are not a TRUE fan.

beathorse.gif

So, now that I'm done my little rant, what is your definition of a TRUE Rush fan?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definition: one who is open to differing opinions about Rush, including negative ones. One who has the courage to say "not everything the band does is gold." One who doesn't say "I'm Rushier than thou" and "you're not A TRUE FAN, but I am."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 20 2007, 05:50 AM)
Definition: one who is open to differing opinions about Rush, including negative ones. One who has the courage to say "not everything the band does is gold." One who doesn't say "I'm Rushier than thou" and "you're not A TRUE FAN, but I am."

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 20 2007, 08:50 AM)

goodpost.gif

If you had actually taken the time to read my entire post, you would have seen that I am open to differing opinions about Rush, just as I am open to differing opinions about everything. And forgive me for pointing out the "Holier Than Thou" tone of your own post, in your apparent need to teach me some kind of lesson.

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 08:00 AM)
Definition:  one who is open to differing opinions about Rush, including negative ones.  One who has the courage to say "not everything the band does is gold."  One who doesn't say "I'm Rushier than thou" and "you're not A TRUE FAN, but I am."

If you had actually taken the time to read my entire post, you would have seen that I am open to differing opinions about Rush, just as I am open to differing opinions about everything. And forgive me for pointing out the "Holier Than Thou" tone of your own post, in your apparent need to teach me some kind of lesson.

Well we do really appreciate you coming on here and telling us what a true Rush fan is. It's nice to finally have that cleared up. laugh.gif

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Jun 20 2007, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 08:00 AM)
Definition:  one who is open to differing opinions about Rush, including negative ones.  One who has the courage to say "not everything the band does is gold."  One who doesn't say "I'm Rushier than thou" and "you're not A TRUE FAN, but I am."

Well we do really appreciate you coming on here and telling us what a true Rush fan is. It's nice to finally have that cleared up. laugh.gif

Always happy to enlighten the less fortunate. biggrin.gif

I like to wake up the neighbors at 6am with a little Far Cry pounding throughout the sky, I guess I qualify?

Ok, Mr GisG, tell me if you think I'm a true fan. Lay some of your obvious and all-encompassing wisdom upon me. They've been my ultimate favourite band since 1983. Have every album, of course, but I absolutely despise T4E, and am not a big fan of CP at all either. T4E I rate as the worst album of all time by a band that I love. I'm also flying to North America (from Australia) in July specifically to see them, just as I did back in '02 for the VT tour. 'True fan', by your definition, or not?

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 20 2007, 08:17 AM)
Ok, Mr GisG, tell me if you think I'm a true fan. Lay some of your obvious and all-encompassing wisdom upon me. They've been my ultimate favourite band since 1983. Have every album, of course, but I absolutely despise T4E, and am not a big fan of CP at all either. T4E I rate as the worst album of all time by a band that I love. I'm also flying to North America (from Australia) in July specifically to see them, just as I did back in '02 for the VT tour. 'True fan', by your definition, or not?

Obviously not because you don't like Test For Echo. You should be ashamed! laugh.gif How dare you not like that piece of crap!

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Jun 20 2007, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 20 2007, 08:17 AM)
Ok, Mr GisG, tell me if you think I'm a true fan. Lay some of your obvious and all-encompassing wisdom upon me.  They've been my ultimate favourite band since 1983. Have every album, of course, but I absolutely despise T4E, and am not a big fan of CP at all either. T4E I rate as the worst album of all time by a band that I love. I'm also flying to North America (from Australia) in July specifically to see them, just as I did back in '02 for the VT tour. 'True fan', by your definition, or not?

Obviously not because you don't like Test For Echo. You should be ashamed! laugh.gif How dare you not like that piece of crap!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 20 2007, 09:17 AM)

NOT!!!

You're definitely a HUGE fan, but you're not a TRUE fan. And there is a difference. But I still love ya! wub.gif

QUOTE (abc @ Jun 20 2007, 09:14 AM)
I like to wake up the neighbors at 6am with a little Far Cry pounding throughout the sky, I guess I qualify?

Very promising (if rather inconsiderate), but I'd need more to go on....

One who comes to be a fan because of Neil's books...and his charming yet unconventional good looks and amazing talent. One who knows every word to every song and loves most of them, while maintaining an affectionate appreciation for even the worst stuff (i.e. Dog Years). One who wears her Rush shirts proudly, even when most people in her geographical location don't have a clue. laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Ok, fine, I'll have a go... I like this guy.

Ok, so I own every studio album they've put out... I own most of them on CD, three or four on vinyl. I have all but two live albums, two live DVD's, three or four shirts, and two posters.

I waited on the edge of my seat for three years before I finally saw them live (Atlanta, this tour), and I had the time of my life. It was amazing.

BUT! They have released many lackluster observations, in my opinion. Presto was mostly bad, Roll the Bones was 50/50, Counterparts was decent, but not so great... Test For Echo is by far their worst, and is a horrible record. Vapor Trails was decent but the sound quality is horrible, and S&A is a 50/50 record for me... just like RtB (although it IS better than RtB).

And... let's not forget the self titled album.

So, new guy, am I a true fan?

QUOTE (GeddyisGOD @ Jun 20 2007, 09:33 AM)
Ok, Mr GisG, tell me if you think I'm a true fan. Lay some of your obvious and all-encompassing wisdom upon me.  They've been my ultimate favourite band since 1983. Have every album, of course, but I absolutely despise T4E, and am not a big fan of CP at all either. T4E I rate as the worst album of all time by a band that I love. I'm also flying to North America (from Australia) in July specifically to see them, just as I did back in '02 for the VT tour. 'True fan', by your definition, or not?

NOT!!!

You're definitely a HUGE fan, but you're not a TRUE fan. And there is a difference. But I still love ya! wub.gif

Oh F*CK!! For almost 25 years I thought I WAS a true fan! And now some dude from 'Bradenton FL' comes along and shatters an almost quarter of a century old illusion in 2 seconds! That's it, time to die! Gunna kill myself by forcing my entire Rush vinyl/CD/DVD collection down my own throat. Goodbye, everyone!!!!!

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 20 2007, 09:46 AM)

NOT!!!

Oh F*CK!! For almost 25 years I thought I WAS a true fan! And now some dude from 'Bradenton FL' comes along and shatters an almost quarter of a century old illusion in 2 seconds! That's it, time to die! Gunna kill myself by forcing my entire Rush vinyl/CD/DVD collection down my own throat. Goodbye, everyone!!!!!

z7shysterical.gif

Best response EVER.

A true Rush fan is someone who is willing to sleep with Neil, Geddy, or Alex.

Ghostgirl and I fit this category, so we're true fans.

Is another discussion about this really necessary? beathorse.gif Saying something like "Rush can do no wrong" doesn't make you a real fan, it makes you an ignorant sheep. Rush is my favorite band in the world, but S&A just doesn't do it for me and a lot of others. That doesn't make us lesser fans than you, it just means we have different things about Rush that we like. Still can't wait to see them live in a couple weeks though!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2007, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 20 2007, 09:46 AM)

NOT!!!

z7shysterical.gif

Best response EVER.

Thank you so much, GG! I gained some 11th hour solace from your lovely post, so I've decided not to take my own life today!

Phew, that was close....

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 20 2007, 09:42 AM)
Ok, fine, I'll have a go... I like this guy.

Ok, so I own every studio album they've put out... I own most of them on CD, three or four on vinyl. I have all but two live albums, two live DVD's, three or four shirts, and two posters.

I waited on the edge of my seat for three years before I finally saw them live (Atlanta, this tour), and I had the time of my life. It was amazing.

BUT! They have released many lackluster observations, in my opinion. Presto was mostly bad, Roll the Bones was 50/50, Counterparts was decent, but not so great... Test For Echo is by far their worst, and is a horrible record. Vapor Trails was decent but the sound quality is horrible, and S&A is a 50/50 record for me... just like RtB (although it IS better than RtB).

And... let's not forget the self titled album.

So, new guy, am I a true fan?

Well, you're definitely a fan of some of their work, but it certainly doesn't sound like the TRUE fan criteria have been met.

But that doesn't mean we still can't be friends... trink39.gif

Archived