Not happy with S&A

Xabiche

I never, *ever* thought I'd be so unhappy with a Rush release. I'm as big a fanboy as they come... but IMO this release is boring as hell. You don't know how hard that is to admit.

The only tunes I like are, well.. the tunes. The instrumentals. Not the songs. And even so... they are so reminiscent of earlier instrumentals. Not a lot new here.

I understand where they're going with the songs but I just don't like it. I don't like it because IMO they're not very good at that. Not good at all. And never will be... that was obvious from the get go. Good for them that they're trying, though.

Through all these years I have *loved* Geddy's vocals but now I just want him to STFU. VT was the pinnacle of that direction, and I *really* liked VT... but it really doesn't work here. Stop it.

Ah, well.

I'll still pay the quan and see 'em live this year.

And every year until I die.

And I'll still have a smile on my face.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry you don't like it. Try Somewhere Else by Marillion, Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree, and/or The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse by The Besnard Lakes. I've heard good things about Blackfield II by Blackfield as well.

QUOTE (Xabiche @ May 19 2007, 03:34 AM)
I never, *ever* thought I'd be so unhappy with a Rush release. I'm as big a fanboy as they come... but IMO this release is boring as hell. You don't know how hard that is to admit.

The only tunes I like are, well.. the tunes. The instrumentals. Not the songs. And even so... they are so reminiscent of earlier instrumentals. Not a lot new here.

I understand where they're going with the songs but I just don't like it. I don't like it because IMO they're not very good at that. Not good at all. And never will be... that was obvious from the get go. Good for them that they're trying, though.

Through all these years I have *loved* Geddy's vocals but now I just want him to STFU. VT was the pinnacle of that direction, and I *really* liked VT... but it really doesn't work here. Stop it.

Ah, well.

http://www.msu.edu/user/socomm/bullseye.gif

i think you have given the fans of the album a place to shoot the arrows. laugh.gif and a place to release the venom. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

To each his / her own... Rush is not going to reach everyone with each album released... nothing wrong with not liking it - just don't give up on it too quickly...

Do I think that this album is at the top of their catalog? No, but I do still like it, and am happy that they are still around after all these years and still actively creating new music and touring...

let's hope they still have a few more in them!

trink39.gif

I can't stop listening to this record. I don't know what it is you're missing, but dude you're missing out bigtime!

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 19 2007, 01:14 PM)
I can't stop listening to this record. I don't know what it is you're missing, but dude you're missing out bigtime!

I keep listening to learn to enjoy it more. For me, it's not an easy one to like, especially lyrically. The music has some great moments, but then there are some really annoying breaks that should have been left out (whoaoh-whoah-whoah, for example).

It's getting better every day for me, though.

QUOTE (Xabiche @ May 19 2007, 02:34 AM)

Ah, well.

STFU Geddy.....he says

laugh.gif

QUOTE (goose @ May 19 2007, 01:25 PM)

I keep listening to learn to enjoy it more. For me, it's not an easy one to like, especially lyrically. The music has some great moments, but then there are some really annoying breaks that should have been left out (whoaoh-whoah-whoah, for example).

which song is the whoaoh whoah whoaoh?

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 19 2007, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ May 19 2007, 01:25 PM)

which song is the whoaoh whoah whoaoh?

Sounds like "The Larger Bowl?"

QUOTE (Xabiche @ May 19 2007, 03:34 AM)

Ah, well.

wtf.gif

Ah, well.

Sorry for the stupid question....but what is "quan"?

For the record I agree the whoah-whoah-whoah in the Larger Bowl was unneccessary, but I still like the song. If I had one bone to pick with the album it would be that there's too much vocal layering.

QUOTE (Warren Cromartie @ May 19 2007, 07:30 PM)
For the record I agree the whoah-whoah-whoah in the Larger Bowl was unneccessary, but I still like the song. If I had one bone to pick with the album it would be that there's too much vocal layering.

the way he sings iron gate (gaaaa-eeeeeeee-aaaaaa-aaaaa-aaaaa-aaaate) annoys the shit outta me.....

QUOTE (rushbass @ May 19 2007, 08:08 AM)
To each his / her own... Rush is not going to reach everyone with each album released... nothing wrong with not liking it - just don't give up on it too quickly...

goodpost.gif

It took me a ton of time to warm up to VT...and I'm still not really all that hot on it...

This album will take hold...Spindrift, Armour and Sword, Hope...nice songs...in fact, I'm giving Spindrift a real big ten thumbs up!

Ah, well.

I don't know about the telling Geddy to STFU part. confused13.gif But I'm with you on the rest of it.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 19 2007, 07:37 PM)

the way he sings iron gate (gaaaa-eeeeeeee-aaaaaa-aaaaa-aaaaa-aaaate) annoys the shit outta me.....

Much agreed. He's not a great singer anymore in my opinion. There are worse singers out there, but the quality just isn't there anymore for him. All those years of touring and screaming on the earlier albums really did him in. I dont think he ever expected the band to last this long so he never had any regard for taking care of his voice. I'm sure 2112 alone did enough damage.

Now to me he just sounds like an old man that cant sing that still has to because of the band, as sorry as I am to say that because he was once my favorite vocalist but I have at least 20 people I like way more than him now. I can listen to it, but it's painful. And he does that little whine thing before every other word. I've been noticing it for years, but Vapor Trails he took it to a new level, and it's just as bad here. I dont know why he does it but it just sounds horrible. He does it a lot on larger bowl.

I agree about the all instrumental album, to whoever it was that mentioned that. His voice is just so bad at this point that I would enjoy an album full of monkey business tracks rather than what their giving us.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 20 2007, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 19 2007, 07:37 PM)

Much agreed. He's not a great singer anymore in my opinion. There are worse singers out there, but the quality just isn't there anymore for him. All those years of touring and screaming on the earlier albums really did him in. I dont think he ever expected the band to last this long so he never had any regard for taking care of his voice. I'm sure 2112 alone did enough damage.

Now to me he just sounds like an old man that cant sing that still has to because of the band, as sorry as I am to say that because he was once my favorite vocalist but I have at least 20 people I like way more than him now. I can listen to it, but it's painful. And he does that little whine thing before every other word. I've been noticing it for years, but Vapor Trails he took it to a new level, and it's just as bad here. I dont know why he does it but it just sounds horrible. He does it a lot on larger bowl.

I agree about the all instrumental album, to whoever it was that mentioned that. His voice is just so bad at this point that I would enjoy an album full of monkey business tracks rather than what their giving us.

Good stuff for the most part on S & A, but maybe hold back next time on singing too much.

I mentioned the idea earlier about an all instrumental album, and think it would be great to hear on there next one.

No e-mailing lyrics back and forth. Just get together and work on nothing but music. After learning so much over the years, if they did an all instrumental album at this point, it would be awesome.

What a relief it would be for geddy, but it also would be a super laid back, relaxed atmosphere and I think it would be a top 3 album ever for them.

News flash, Geddy Lee is not a viruosic vocalist, who cares, its about the overall package. Everything in life is flawed in one degree or another, but in the end, Rush stands high above the crowd in the realm of music, and that my friends is a fact.

I don't see where you're getting the 'terrible vocals' part. Geddy sounds fantastic on the new record, IMO, better than he has in years.

I agree that the 'woah woah woah' is a little annoying, though.

Archived