Not happy with S&A

Xabiche

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 20 2007, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 19 2007, 10:13 PM)
Shit.....we need to add Thud, Clefme, and Ron2112 to the club too......

You keep track of the people who don't like S&A......somehow that doesn't surprise me......

rofl3.gif

That was my line.......at least be original man......

wacko.gif

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 20 2007, 03:42 PM)

You keep track of the people who don't like S&A......somehow that doesn't surprise me......

rofl3.gif

wacko.gif

and he ripped you off verbatim. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Jun 20 2007, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 20 2007, 03:42 PM)

rofl3.gif

wacko.gif

and he ripped you off verbatim. ohmy.gif

Maybe he's trying to be sarcastic? sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 20 2007, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 19 2007, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (Part 4 of a Trilogy @ Jun 19 2007, 07:52 PM)
who really cares if someone likes the album or not.. if you like great, if you dont who careds.. either way no one really cares.
goodpost.gif I do feel bad that some longtime Rush fans are missing out on what most think is a great new album, but I sure don't lose any sleep over it.

I said the same thing about VT. If you're one of those nay-sayers who doesn't like VT, you're missing out on one hell of an album! Too many people out there just didn't "Ged it."

As for S&A, it's me who doesn't "Ged it." It's like Presto II, with good lyrics and some okay music, but too much mid-tempo pacing and not enough of the "Wow" factor.

No. Nothing is bad enough to be labeled Presto II...except of course RTB.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 20 2007, 04:03 PM)
who really cares if someone likes the album or not.. if you like great, if you dont who careds.. either way no one really cares.
goodpost.gif I do feel bad that some longtime Rush fans are missing out on what most think is a great new album, but I sure don't lose any sleep over it.

I said the same thing about VT. If you're one of those nay-sayers who doesn't like VT, you're missing out on one hell of an album! Too many people out there just didn't "Ged it."

As for S&A, it's me who doesn't "Ged it." It's like Presto II, with good lyrics and some okay music, but too much mid-tempo pacing and not enough of the "Wow" factor.

yes those album are two peas in a pod. I don't mind them though. I'm cranking "out of the cradle" right now and I must say it rocks. 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Jun 20 2007, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 20 2007, 04:03 PM)

yes those album are two peas in a pod. I don't mind them though. I'm cranking "out of the cradle" right now and I must say it rocks. 1022.gif

Yeah but it's not from those 2 toilet bombs.

When a band is together for this long, and has this kind of reputation, then almost anything they do is going to be put under the microscope.

I personally like Snakes....I would say it is the best record they have put out in the time since I became a fan (1991). I think it is a very consistent album. I found the last few original releases to be rather uneven, especially T4E.

In some ways I think the CD era is contributing to the problem; we are now seeing 12-13 new songs per record instead of 7-8 in the old days. It is really hard to make every song count.

Snakes is good like that; while some tunes I like less than others, there's nothing here that really screams out "what were they thinking?" like the last couple did.

I was certainly left wanting by Vapor Trails; I like so many others was unhappy with the production and in hindsight I think it probably did unfairly cloud my judgement of the material....but I still don't think it is as consistently good as this record.

"Far Cry" is the tune for me....this song is as Rush as any song they've written in the past 20 years. It is true that they do a lot of different things on this album than what we are used to, but this song fits in to almost any era of their career IMO.

One thing nobody has mentioned much about is Feedback - it may be hard to call that a "real" Rush record since there's not an original note on it, but I can't help but feel that it was an important stage in the band's development - I hear a lot of that in this record, right down to the more basic writing and recording methods.

Whether one actually likes or dislikes that evolution is a matter of personal taste. But Rush has been going that way for sometime; really every record since Presto has gradually gotten simpler.

I'm just glad I still have a new Rush record to look forward to once in awhile....the worst Rush record still has enough redeeming value in it to make me forget about all the unmitigated unlistenable crap being put out there by everyone else. I'm all for them to keep making records as long as they are to a standard they themselves can accept. I trust them.

Are you sure there's enough room in your moms basement for these 3....i thought your circle jerk was already complete yes.gif

QUOTE (Xabiche @ May 18 2007, 11:34 PM)
I never, *ever* thought I'd be so unhappy with a Rush release. I'm as big a fanboy as they come... but IMO this release is boring as hell. You don't know how hard that is to admit.

The only tunes I like are, well.. the tunes. The instrumentals. Not the songs. And even so... they are so reminiscent of earlier instrumentals. Not a lot new here.

I understand where they're going with the songs but I just don't like it. I don't like it because IMO they're not very good at that. Not good at all. And never will be... that was obvious from the get go. Good for them that they're trying, though.

Through all these years I have *loved* Geddy's vocals but now I just want him to STFU. VT was the pinnacle of that direction, and I *really* liked VT... but it really doesn't work here. Stop it.

Ah, well.

I'll still pay the quan and see 'em live this year.

And every year until I die.

And I'll still have a smile on my face.

I kinda feel the same you do man. My favorite song is "Armor And Sword". I thought that was the best song on the album. As for the rest it was so-so but nothing I would jump up and down about though. unsure.gif

Vapor Trails was Rush's worst album IMHO sonically and musically. I prefer the VT tracks live and some of the tracks sounded like they were pondering to the Tantric/Korn recorded sound popular in 2000/2001.

Snakes and Arrows is Rush's finest album since Counterparts.

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jun 26 2007, 05:01 AM)

Are you sure there's enough room in your moms basement for these 3....i thought your circle jerk was already complete yes.gif

Says the dude with Labatt Blue in his avatar.......lol

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 27 2007, 10:49 PM)

That's all you got? A comebacker dissing his choice of beer?

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 27 2007, 10:02 PM)

eyesre4.gif

Here's what DAK had to say about Blue

"Quite possibly the worst beer in the world. Tastes "skunky" even when it is fresh. Unpleasant aftertaste."

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 27 2007, 11:16 PM)

eyesre4.gif

LAME

Yes your reply is yes.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 27 2007, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 27 2007, 11:16 PM)

eyesre4.gif

LAME

Yes your reply is yes.gif

no.gif

Been a fan since 76........this is the first release I don't like. Sorry but thats how I feel. I thought it would take a few spins.....no, still not good. Except for Far Cry there is nothing to get excited about.

Archived