Not happy with S&A

Xabiche

QUOTE (Barnacle @ May 22 2007, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (Xabiche @ May 22 2007, 10:13 AM)

And Geddy can still sing, just differently than before.  However, he's choosing to sound... iunno... all affected & shit.  I don't know how to describe it.  Too much "wooo wooo" shit and cheezy harmonies.  I do wish he'd STFU.  smile.gif

Well I guess in a sense though his vocals are a little more Human than they used to be...lets admit it some of the old singing was pretty cold..calculated and singing about a bunch of s*it that does not exist ( Epic Fantasy)...he sounds more 'down to earth' and soulful these days...I mean listen to Countdown if you don't believe me...it's like someone singing from the phone book about "just the facts".....

rofl3.gif

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 22 2007, 11:50 AM)

And Geddy can still sing, just differently than before.  However, he's choosing to sound... iunno... all affected & shit.  I don't know how to describe it.  Too much "wooo wooo" shit and cheezy harmonies.  I do wish he'd STFU.  smile.gif

Well I guess in a sense though his vocals are a little more Human than they used to be...lets admit it some of the old singing was pretty cold..calculated and singing about a bunch of s*it that does not exist ( Epic Fantasy)...he sounds more 'down to earth' and soulful these days...I mean listen to Countdown if you don't believe me...it's like someone singing from the phone book about "just the facts".....

rofl3.gif

Anyone for Roll The Bones?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 22 2007, 11:50 AM)

rofl3.gif

What..? Did I say something wrong...?

QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ May 20 2007, 03:38 PM)
Some people are not happy unless they are whingeing and pressing their views,yes you don't have to like it,why keep going over and over a month after release? fing.gif

Are you saying this to the same people going on and on about how good it is?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 20 2007, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ May 20 2007, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 19 2007, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (Warren Cromartie @ May 19 2007, 07:30 PM)
For the record I agree the whoah-whoah-whoah in the Larger Bowl was unneccessary, but I still like the song. If I had one bone to pick with the album it would be that there's too much vocal layering.

the way he sings iron gate (gaaaa-eeeeeeee-aaaaaa-aaaaa-aaaaa-aaaate) annoys the shit outta me.....

Much agreed. He's not a great singer anymore in my opinion. There are worse singers out there, but the quality just isn't there anymore for him. All those years of touring and screaming on the earlier albums really did him in. I dont think he ever expected the band to last this long so he never had any regard for taking care of his voice. I'm sure 2112 alone did enough damage.

Now to me he just sounds like an old man that cant sing that still has to because of the band, as sorry as I am to say that because he was once my favorite vocalist but I have at least 20 people I like way more than him now. I can listen to it, but it's painful. And he does that little whine thing before every other word. I've been noticing it for years, but Vapor Trails he took it to a new level, and it's just as bad here. I dont know why he does it but it just sounds horrible. He does it a lot on larger bowl.

I agree about the all instrumental album, to whoever it was that mentioned that. His voice is just so bad at this point that I would enjoy an album full of monkey business tracks rather than what their giving us.

wtf.gif

The only problem I had with S&A vocally is the first couple times I listened to it I thought some of the way he sang was a little, let's say avant-garde in places, but it only took a couple of times to get used to it.

I think he still sounds great - no problems with his voice at all for me. no.gif

I agree. I have no issues with his voice - but then again, I've always prefered Geddy's lower voice tones (perhaps that's why a lot of the earlier work didn't appeal to me).

I think his voice still sounds great and aside from that I think it fits perfectly with the tone of this album. Whether someone think it's better or worse than it was before, I don't think anyone can deny the fact that it still sounds like Ged.

Xab, I fully agree with your post!!!

It`s just weak!!!

Hope, Itoo feel that they didn`t spend enough time with Malignant Narcissism.

I don`t like the tempo on the songs, with

exception to Far Cry, and Swords/Arrows.

Like alot of ya`ll, I`ve been buying Rush releases for quite some time, and this marks a first for me sad.gif

I too will continue to be a Rush fan., and I will support the album by going to the Va Beach show in June.

I hope they don`t play alot from Snakes/Arrows on the tour.

I do want to hear Sword/Arrows, and Malignant Narcissism!!!!!!

Ya`ll take care

Yeah. I posted on this before, but everytime a new album comes out they make out like its the best thing they've ever done, it's all fresh, new & inspired.

Yeah but let's been honest, what veteran bands don't? For those bands, their fan base have something to measure by, usually what they could consider the band's heyday or masterpiece and if it doesn't sound like, it can lead to disappointment.

Same goes for Rush, the general rock community consider their hey day to be anything between "Fly By Night" or "2112" up to "Moving Pictures" or up to even "Grace Under Pressure." Then after that, seems to be bland with a few cool spots here and there.

Could be possible that Rush are trying to reach as many as possible so you will hear more of what sounds popular than Progressive stuff. Quality for Quantity. Having said that, S&A isn't a bad disc though.

Here's my take on it. Let's all take a step back and APPRECIATE that they spent the time to produce a new album. Most of the naysayers out there don't seem to be real Rush fans but actually more passive. IMO.

I could also (okay I will) say why don't YOU try to write 13 new songs over the next year. It's tough, really tough. I like the album (a few weak tunes but mostly good) but I'm simply amazed by the band's talent, longevity and continued love for what they do. They didn't have to make a new album at all. Let's appreciate them because they will not be around forever.

Besides...I'll take this release over just about anything out there today.

QUOTE (lerxstdog @ May 22 2007, 03:08 PM)
Here's my take on it. Let's all take a step back and APPRECIATE that they spent the time to produce a new album. Most of the naysayers out there don't seem to be real Rush fans but actually more passive. IMO.

That's a very idiotic statement with all due respect. You have no basis or right to claim that anyone who doesn't like the albums aren't Rush fans. Especially seeing as if they weren't fans they wouldn't have bought/listened to the damned album! Why don't some people get that through their heads!?!?

Nice start for the first posting, that is unless you're actually another member assuming an alternym?

Thanks, Jackass. It was my first post after getting back in the game after a while. I don't think I was slamming any one individual but I will now. You are a jackass. The spirit of my post was well intended.

You must be one of those passive fans I was referencing.

QUOTE (WickedYoungMan @ May 22 2007, 03:18 PM)
That's a very idiotic statement with all due respect.  You have no basis or right to claim that anyone who doesn't like the albums aren't Rush fans.  Especially seeing as if they weren't fans they wouldn't have bought/listened to the damned album!  Why don't some people get that through their heads!?!?

Nice start for the first posting, that is unless you're actually another member assuming an alternym?

ohmy.gif Jeez! Mess with the naysayers at your peril. comp26.gif

I guess I would be a little testy if I was so dissapointed in S&A.

Fortunately, I'm still loving it after two weeks! common001.gif icon_alienjig.gif 653.gif

But I do feel bad for those of you who are so disappointed.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 22 2007, 03:06 PM)

Fortunately, I'm still loving it after two weeks! common001.gif icon_alienjig.gif 653.gif

Me too!

I'm on to listen #89. I can't get enough! Just like when I first discovered thehun.com.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 22 2007, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (WickedYoungMan @ May 22 2007, 03:18 PM)
That's a very idiotic statement with all due respect.  You have no basis or right to claim that anyone who doesn't like the albums aren't Rush fans.  Especially seeing as if they weren't fans they wouldn't have bought/listened to the damned album!  Why don't some people get that through their heads!?!?

ohmy.gif Jeez! Mess with the naysayers at your peril. comp26.gif

I guess I would be a little testy if I was so dissapointed in S&A.

But I do feel bad for those of you who are so disappointed.

Well put......and Damn.....it's just a freakin' CD man. Lest me forget we are ALL RUSH FANS? Heaven forbid we actually enjoy each others company. b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ May 22 2007, 05:17 PM)
It's not really the album that's to blame it's the small minds who can't comprehend the genious of 2.gif 1022.gif

i thought most of the women on here liked S&A? confused13.gif

QUOTE (WickedYoungMan @ May 22 2007, 02:18 PM)
Here's my take on it.  Let's all take a step back and APPRECIATE that they spent the time to produce a new album.  Most of the naysayers out there don't seem to be real Rush fans but actually more passive.  IMO.

That's a very idiotic statement with all due respect. You have no basis or right to claim that anyone who doesn't like the albums aren't Rush fans. Especially seeing as if they weren't fans they wouldn't have bought/listened to the damned album! Why don't some people get that through their heads!?!?

I agree, I didn't like TFE or Presto that much, but I love S&A. Does that mean I"m not a Rush fan?

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 22 2007, 10:54 PM)
QUOTE (WickedYoungMan @ May 22 2007, 02:18 PM)
Here's my take on it.  Let's all take a step back and APPRECIATE that they spent the time to produce a new album.  Most of the naysayers out there don't seem to be real Rush fans but actually more passive.  IMO.

I agree, I didn't like TFE or Presto that much, but I love S&A. Does that mean I"m not a Rush fan?

No, if you do NOT like Snakes & Arrows you are NOT a 2.gif fan!! b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 23 2007, 01:29 AM)
if you don't like the current rush then u aren't a rush fan to 2.gif

applaudit.gif

Agreed!! yes.gif yes.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 22 2007, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ May 22 2007, 05:17 PM)
It's not really the album that's to blame it's the small minds who can't comprehend the genious of  2.gif  1022.gif

i thought most of the women on here liked S&A? confused13.gif

I can't believe the NWW let you get away with this one.

I like S&A AND don't let people who post on a board decide if I'm a Rush fan or not. It's like The Rush-ian Inquisition in here. I didn't expect that.

QUOTE (Ern2112 @ May 22 2007, 10:31 AM)
Rush plays the music THEY want to hear. As long as the do this....I am on the program. I hope they never conform to what we want to here.

They should always do that... they always have. I don't know what it is I want to hear from them... only what I do NOT want to hear. And that's more of this. What I'm hearing now just doesn't tickle my cooter bone. IMO they don't do a good job in this direction.

QUOTE (lerxstdog @ May 22 2007, 02:08 PM)

I could also (okay I will) say why don't YOU try to write 13 new songs over the next year. It's tough, really tough. I like the album (a few weak tunes but mostly good) but I'm simply amazed by the band's talent, longevity and continued love for what they do. They didn't have to make a new album at all. Let's appreciate them because they will not be around forever.

Besides...I'll take this release over just about anything out there today.

Well, my first Rush concert was Hemispheres and I've seen every tour since. Some multiple shows. I've owned every album in just about every format, from 8-track, to LP, to cassette, to CD, to DVD. So, I am a *huge* fan that's a naysayer for S&A. And its not because its new... I loved VT.

I've always appreciated their talent and hard work. That however, doesn't always translate into something that will tickle everyones cooter bone, and certainly won't drive me to keep listening to it. I keep listening to it just in case it grows on me, but so far its going nowhere and soon I will take it out of rotation. About all I can say about S&A is that I'm glad that *they* and some fans like it. I sure don't, and that's a disappointment.

Archived