Not happy with S&A

Xabiche

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 20 2007, 03:49 PM)
I don't think S&A will stand the test of time though....right now it's high on people's best Rush album lists, but I'm willing to bet in a few months it won't be so high anymore. It's the most fresh Rush album to people's ears, which is going to put it as "their 4th best Rush album" and/or "their best album in 25 years" at the moment.....who knows I could be wrong though (I was wrong several years ago).

Au contrare, the new Marillion album is near the bottom of the pile for me in spite of it being all new and fresh and long-anticipated. Fear of a Blank Planet took a few listens before it even started to grow on me, and I still only really like about half of it, and the story's the same there.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 05:55 PM)
(Frankly, I think you folks are all delusional; maybe you were so eager for a new Rush CD that you're seeing it with rose-colored glasses now that it's out.)

Before the album came out I hadn't listened to Rush in a year apart from buying VT (which I didn't like so didn't play much). I listened to half of Far Cry on the site and stopped half way through because I wasn't in the mood for it.

Then I bought the album the week it was out on a whim and loved it. I hadn't heard any of the press before it. I had no preconceived notions about what it would sound like so I wasn't disappointed. In fact, scratch that, I did have a preconceived notion - Based off VT I expected it to be an album I'd listen to a couple of times and put on the shelf.

I love S&A. One of my very top Rush albums. It also made me go back to VT which I now like (production not taken into account). I think S&A is a great album with great songs.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 20 2007, 05:54 PM)
I think some people go through life with expectations that are too high. Then they find themselves feeling unfulfilled most of the time.

It's not a very good way to live.

It's music, some are happy....others expected more. I'm not sure where the "it's not a very good way to live" fits in..... eh.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 20 2007, 05:06 PM)
I'm not sure where the "it's not a very good way to live" fits in..... eh.gif

You'll figure it out one day.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 20 2007, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 20 2007, 05:06 PM)
I'm not sure where the "it's not a very good way to live" fits in..... eh.gif

You'll figure it out one day.

http://hometown.aol.com/lifeofbrian35/images/SuckAtInternet.jpg

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 21 2007, 02:06 AM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 20 2007, 05:54 PM)
I think some people go through life with expectations that are too high. Then they find themselves feeling unfulfilled most of the time.

It's not a very good way to live.

It's music, some are happy....others expected more. I'm not sure where the "it's not a very good way to live" fits in..... eh.gif

Some are blessed and some are cursed wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 03:22 PM)

The way the guys were talking-up this CD, I thought it was going to be a masterpiece. It's not.

Sorry but you are wrong. Many feel it is a masterpiece. No one said that about Vapor Trails, Test For Echo, Counterparts, or any recording they have done since the early 1980's.

It is mature, subtle, flashy when it needs to be, blistering in some spots, and restrained when it needs to be. Take The Larger Bowl for example...do you think that because that song is subtle and Alex isn't playing a blistering classical flamenco opener like in La Villa, that this lessens the musicianship...it is done this way intentionally to compliment the songs lyrics and feel...that is called SONGWRITING...if you want notes and different signatures of time go listen to a Joe Satriani CD or put on some Malmsteen, but I for one would rather stick a fork in my eye.

Rush has proven their musicianship over and over again and everyone knows it. They have moved past the "adolescent stage" of their development and are like a fine wine now...aged to near perfection and better with time. There are truly masterpieces of each decade.....I happen to agree with many that this CD is really the finest work since Moving Pictures and I'm glad that I for one am on the side of the fence that agrees with the guys in the band and the critics that say so....I would be sad if I didn't agree and felt that it left me flat...but you and others keep on restating over and over in numerous posts how it isn't--- as if you are an authority on the issue and you are not. You are entitled to your opinion yes and I respect that and have agreed with you many times before here on TRF but .....this time you are off my friend!

I think it is time to end the efforts you naysayers are putting forth to discredit this effort as a masterpiece because you don't think it is one. You will never convince any of us with your opinions that it isn't....

This is war!!!!!!!!1 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

I am totally bored by the whingers on this forum who don't like S & A. Perhaps Rush should have done a pompus 30 minute sci-fi epic to with a long solo to keep them happy.

It's a decent record, perhaps some need to understand Rush and their music a bit better.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 19 2007, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (Warren Cromartie @ May 19 2007, 07:30 PM)
For the record I agree the whoah-whoah-whoah in the Larger Bowl was unneccessary, but I still like the song. If I had one bone to pick with the album it would be that there's too much vocal layering.

the way he sings iron gate (gaaaa-eeeeeeee-aaaaaa-aaaaa-aaaaa-aaaate) annoys the shit outta me.....

We're in agreement here. I just don't see the need for it, and more often then not the flow of the songs is hurt. I'm sure it'll be less annoying as I get used to it.

QUOTE (vital signz @ May 20 2007, 09:09 PM)

The way the guys were talking-up this CD, I thought it was going to be a masterpiece.  It's not.

Sorry but you are wrong. Many feel it is a masterpiece. No one said that about Vapor Trails, Test For Echo, Counterparts, or any recording they have done since the early 1980's.

It is mature, subtle, flashy when it needs to be, blistering in some spots, and restrained when it needs to be. Take The Larger Bowl for example...do you think that because that song is subtle and Alex isn't playing a blistering classical flamenco opener like in La Villa, that this lessens the musicianship...it is done this way intentionally to compliment the songs lyrics and feel...that is called SONGWRITING...if you want notes and different signatures of time go listen to a Joe Satriani CD or put on some Malmsteen, but I for one would rather stick a fork in my eye.

Rush has proven their musicianship over and over again and everyone knows it. They have moved past the "adolescent stage" of their development and are like a fine wine now...aged to near perfection and better with time. There are truly masterpieces of each decade.....I happen to agree with many that this CD is really the finest work since Moving Pictures and I'm glad that I for one am on the side of the fence that agrees with the guys in the band and the critics that say so....I would be sad if I didn't agree and felt that it left me flat...but you and others keep on restating over and over in numerous posts how it isn't--- as if you are an authority on the issue and you are not. You are entitled to your opinion yes and I respect that and have agreed with you many times before here on TRF but .....this time you are off my friend!

I think it is time to end the efforts you naysayers are putting forth to discredit this effort as a masterpiece because you don't think it is one. You will never convince any of us with your opinions that it isn't....

This is war!!!!!!!!1 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

Musically, I think this is some of their best work in a long time. Alex really shows his talent throughout. I'm not crazy about all of the lyircs or voacl arrangements, but I'm learning to live with them.

I hope they play a lot of the album live.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 20 2007, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 19 2007, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (Warren Cromartie @ May 19 2007, 07:30 PM)
For the record I agree the whoah-whoah-whoah in the Larger Bowl was unneccessary, but I still like the song. If I had one bone to pick with the album it would be that there's too much vocal layering.

the way he sings iron gate (gaaaa-eeeeeeee-aaaaaa-aaaaa-aaaaa-aaaate) annoys the shit outta me.....

Much agreed. He's not a great singer anymore in my opinion. There are worse singers out there, but the quality just isn't there anymore for him. All those years of touring and screaming on the earlier albums really did him in. I dont think he ever expected the band to last this long so he never had any regard for taking care of his voice. I'm sure 2112 alone did enough damage.

Now to me he just sounds like an old man that cant sing that still has to because of the band, as sorry as I am to say that because he was once my favorite vocalist but I have at least 20 people I like way more than him now. I can listen to it, but it's painful. And he does that little whine thing before every other word. I've been noticing it for years, but Vapor Trails he took it to a new level, and it's just as bad here. I dont know why he does it but it just sounds horrible. He does it a lot on larger bowl.

I agree about the all instrumental album, to whoever it was that mentioned that. His voice is just so bad at this point that I would enjoy an album full of monkey business tracks rather than what their giving us.

wtf.gif

The only problem I had with S&A vocally is the first couple times I listened to it I thought some of the way he sang was a little, let's say avant-garde in places, but it only took a couple of times to get used to it.

I think he still sounds great - no problems with his voice at all for me. no.gif

I don't think Ged ever was a "great" singer....I like his voice and his voice was a factor in Rush's uniqueness......but LOTS of people disliked Rush solely because of the vocals....which was too bad.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 20 2007, 09:13 PM)
I don't think Ged ever was a "great" singer....I like his voice and his voice was a factor in Rush's uniqueness......but LOTS of people disliked Rush solely because of the vocals....which was too bad.

Agreed. Although...serious props for "2112", "Hemispheres", and "Available Light". I mean, my God. Those vocals are insane.

The old conundrum. A lot of people can't stand Rush because of their vocals, but I would also surmise that if not for Geddy's distinctive vocals, they never would have achieved the popularity they have...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 20 2007, 11:43 PM)

The old conundrum. A lot of people can't stand Rush because of their vocals, but I would also surmise that if not for Geddy's distinctive vocals, they never would have achieved the popularity they have...

Agreed....the uniqueness.

QUOTE (vital signz @ May 20 2007, 09:09 PM)

The way the guys were talking-up this CD, I thought it was going to be a masterpiece.  It's not.

Sorry but you are wrong. Many feel it is a masterpiece. No one said that about Vapor Trails...

I did say that about Vapor Trails. In fact, the very things all of you are saying about S&A, I said about VT five years ago: that it's a bold artistic statement, rocking when it needs to be, a mature work, relevant to today, etc.

This new album may or may not be a "masterpiece." I just know that I prefer rock music. S&A probably appeals to Rush fans whose favorite Presto track is "The Pass," whose favorite Bones track is "Bravado," and who really dig MFH. Those are nice, good songs... but far from my favorite Rush songs.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 21 2007, 04:47 AM)
S&A probably appeals to Rush fans whose favorite Presto track is "The Pass," whose favorite Bones track is "Bravado," and who really dig MFH. Those are nice, good songs... but far from my favorite Rush songs.

No, no and no. And I love VT.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 21 2007, 11:50 AM)
S&A probably appeals to Rush fans whose favorite Presto track is "The Pass," whose favorite Bones track is "Bravado," and who really dig MFH.  Those are nice, good songs... but far from my favorite Rush songs.

agreed Pedro! trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ May 20 2007, 11:22 AM)
If you don't like this album you don't like  2.gif This album is superb!

Uh... no. You can dislike the album and still love Rush. Trust me.

And I largely agree with the original poster; this album is boring. I wish I was hearing what all the rest of you are hearing, but I'm not. (Frankly, I think you folks are all delusional; maybe you were so eager for a new Rush CD that you're seeing it with rose-colored glasses now that it's out.)

Yeah. I posted on this before, but everytime a new album comes out they make out like its the best thing they've ever done, it's all fresh, new & inspired. And more and more the releases get disappointing. Actually, I rather enjoyed VT but think that should have been the end if that direction. But, S&A is just flat. The tunes are boring. It's hard to admit of your heroes but there you go.

And Geddy can still sing, just differently than before. However, he's choosing to sound... iunno... all affected & shit. I don't know how to describe it. Too much "wooo wooo" shit and cheezy harmonies. I do wish he'd STFU. smile.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ May 20 2007, 01:17 PM)
I think you are being short sighted, whiny, annoying, nitpicking, dillweeds for repeatedly bashing this effort here on this website where appreciation normally abounds for our favorite musical heroes....

That's a typical blind-follower Rush fan comment.

If we don't like it we'll say it. And since we love Rush in general we'll keep saying it because we're very dissapointed. No, we don't want the old Rush. We want new Rush that doesn't suck.

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 20 2007, 02:43 PM)

Ever thought of maybe, just maybe, reading through the forum and possibly opening a topic that already says this exact same thing and posting in there?

Didn't think so...

Yeah, but then it wouldn't be *my* thread then would it? Ever thought of not reading a thread if you don't like the topic?

Didn't think so...

QUOTE (rushman14 @ May 21 2007, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 21 2007, 11:50 AM)
S&A probably appeals to Rush fans whose favorite Presto track is "The Pass," whose favorite Bones track is "Bravado," and who really dig MFH.  Those are nice, good songs... but far from my favorite Rush songs.

agreed Pedro! trink39.gif

Actually, I love those songs. S&A is *nothing* like those.

QUOTE (Xabiche @ May 22 2007, 10:13 AM)

And Geddy can still sing, just differently than before. However, he's choosing to sound... iunno... all affected & shit. I don't know how to describe it. Too much "wooo wooo" shit and cheezy harmonies. I do wish he'd STFU. smile.gif

Well I guess in a sense though his vocals are a little more Human than they used to be...lets admit it some of the old singing was pretty cold..calculated and singing about a bunch of s*it that does not exist ( Epic Fantasy)...he sounds more 'down to earth' and soulful these days...I mean listen to Countdown if you don't believe me...it's like someone singing from the phone book about "just the facts".....

I am not happy with it either....I am ecstatic. IMO.....best Rush has done in 20 years......the recording is good for the most part (there is some obvious distortion you can clearly here when wearing headphones in certain areas...like the end on Monkey bus...and the bridge of wind blows...but not intolerable)....the music is well done....and I could not care less if Geddy wants to whoa whoa whoa.....he always has...whats the difference. Alex is deadly on this album....I am truly impressed with how he has progessed...and Neil? Well...just like always...dead spot on. I am great full this band is still kicking a$$.....and will give me something good to listen to in a world of hip hop, pop and crap otherwise disguised as music.

Rush plays the music THEY want to hear. As long as the do this....I am on the program. I hope they never conform to what we want to here.

Archived