Not happy with S&A

Xabiche

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ May 20 2007, 11:22 AM)
If you don't like this album you don't like 2.gif This album is superb!

Uh... no. You can dislike the album and still love Rush. Trust me.

And I largely agree with the original poster; this album is boring. I wish I was hearing what all the rest of you are hearing, but I'm not. (Frankly, I think you folks are all delusional; maybe you were so eager for a new Rush CD that you're seeing it with rose-colored glasses now that it's out.)

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 11:55 AM)
Frankly, I think you folks are all delusional; maybe you were so eager for a new Rush CD that you're seeing it with rose-colored glasses now that it's out.

Uh, no. We're liking it for what it is. S&A may not be the best Rush album, but it's still awesome. This is the best album of 2007 as far as I'm concerned. And yes, Geddy's voice still sounds good, although he sings in lower registers for the most part.

wink.gif

I still don't understand you folks that aren't liking this CD...

No offense, but what do you all expect from musicians in their mid 50's.....Xanadu 2?????, Cygnus X-1 Book 3??, The Spirit of Sirius Radio???, 3112???, Closer to The Colostomy Bag???

I simply don't know of any finer recording ever in the history of music by guys in their fifties, that sounds so wonderfully innovative, conceptually provocative, technically excellent, and lyrically poignant.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but the naysayers here I would say are unreasonably hard on this effort by Rush and sure.............. you all can say that you don't care for it or are disappointed by it, but I think you are being short sighted, whiny, annoying, nitpicking, dillweeds for repeatedly bashing this effort here on this website where appreciation normally abounds for our favorite musical heroes....

Have a few brews, put on some headphones, put the cd player on "repeat" mode, and sit the fu#$ down and let the CD permeate your grey matter until you like it.....I don't care if it takes 3 weeks...KEEP LISTENING until you can come back here and say something positive!!!!!!!

By the way did I tell you all how much I hated Vapor Trails???? wink.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ May 20 2007, 02:17 PM)

Well, then you're a short sighted, whiny, annoying, nitpicking dillweed, because VT rocked! tongue.gif

I wasn't expecting S&A to be "Xanadu 2," and I'm wasn't hoping Rush would repeat themselves. (My love for VT should prove that.) What I wanted was more of a ROCK album, with more fast bits, more electric guitar riffs, catchier hooks, choruses I'd want to sing along to, etc. I don't think I'm asking for too much; as Booujze said, "I wouldn't ask if I didn't think (they) could do it!"

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 02:46 PM)

Well, then you're a short sighted, whiny, annoying, nitpicking dillweed, because VT rocked! tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

yes it did didn't it!!!!!! 2.gif

Closer to The Colostomy Bag???

I simply don't know of any finer recording ever in the history of music by guys in their fifties, that sounds so wonderfully innovative, conceptually provocative, technically excellent, and lyrically poignant.

For the top line:

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

For the rest of it:

I sure can't think of a recording like this ... most of the bands from the 80s, which is when Rush made their biggest impact in terms of sales and exposure, either hate each other and have gone their separate ways, aren't recording, aren't touring, in some cases are dead, or are still somewhat together, though with different lineups.

S & A is not thrown-together hack stuff. These are mature musicians who feel like they've still got something left and something to say, whether we fully agree with or understand what they're saying.

I've not encountered a boring element in this album yet.

With four or five years between Rush albums these days, I was hoping to be blown away by each one; it's such a long time until the next one. I was "blown away" with VT, and I'm not with this one.

End of story.

QUOTE (vital signz @ May 20 2007, 12:17 PM)

cause we expect a high-level of musicianship...nothing subtle. especially after talking this one up regarding pushing their abilities. i'm still looking for those moments.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 03:05 PM)
With four or five years between Rush albums these days, I was hoping to be blown away by each one; it's such a long time until the next one.  I was "blown away" with VT, and I'm not with this one.

End of story.

I felt the same way when I first heard S&A, but after a few listens I was blown away. This album is a grower, IMO, just give it some time.

Strangely, I felt the same way about Signals when I first heard it, and now it's one of my favorite albums. Where VT is one of my least favorite, and I loved it when I first heard it.

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 20 2007, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ May 20 2007, 12:17 PM)

cause we expect a high-level of musicianship...nothing subtle. especially after talking this one up regarding pushing their abilities. i'm still looking for those moments.

yes.gif

The way the guys were talking-up this CD, I thought it was going to be a masterpiece. It's not.

As I've said all along: each song DOES have its moments, but seldom are those moments enough to carry the whole song.

Some people are not happy unless they are whingeing and pressing their views,yes you don't have to like it,why keep going over and over a month after release? fing.gif

QUOTE (Xabiche @ May 19 2007, 02:34 AM)
I never, *ever* thought I'd be so unhappy with a Rush release. I'm as big a fanboy as they come... but IMO this release is boring as hell. You don't know how hard that is to admit.

The only tunes I like are, well.. the tunes. The instrumentals. Not the songs. And even so... they are so reminiscent of earlier instrumentals. Not a lot new here.

I understand where they're going with the songs but I just don't like it. I don't like it because IMO they're not very good at that. Not good at all. And never will be... that was obvious from the get go. Good for them that they're trying, though.

Through all these years I have *loved* Geddy's vocals but now I just want him to STFU. VT was the pinnacle of that direction, and I *really* liked VT... but it really doesn't work here. Stop it.

Ah, well.

I'll still pay the quan and see 'em live this year.

And every year until I die.

And I'll still have a smile on my face.

Ever thought of maybe, just maybe, reading through the forum and possibly opening a topic that already says this exact same thing and posting in there?

Didn't think so...

QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ May 20 2007, 03:38 PM)
Some people are not happy unless they are whingeing and pressing their views,yes you don't have to like it,why keep going over and over a month after release? fing.gif

For the same reason that the album's supporters are going over and over it a month later: we're all Rush fans, and we all have opinions about it.

Ever thought of maybe, just maybe, reading through the forum and possibly opening a topic that already says this exact same thing and posting in there?

Didn't think so...

Did any of the album supporters think of maybe, just maybe, reading through the forum and possibly opening a topic that already says the exact same thing and posting in there?

Didn't think so.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 03:51 PM)
Did any of the album supporters think of maybe, just maybe, reading through the forum and possibly opening a topic that already says the exact same thing and posting in there?

Didn't think so.

Which is exactly why I posted that in the first place. Thank you so much for repeating it for me.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 08:51 PM)

For the same reason that the album's supporters are going over and over it a month later: we're all Rush fans, and we all have opinions about it.

Didn't think so...

Didn't think so.

Touch a nerve did i? tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ May 20 2007, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 08:51 PM)

Didn't think so...

Didn't think so.

Touch a nerve did i? tongue.gif laugh.gif

Most likely. Read point #3 and everything will be fine wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 09:55 AM)
I wish I was hearing what all the rest of you are hearing, but I'm not.  (Frankly, I think you folks are all delusional; maybe you were so eager for a new Rush CD that you're seeing it with rose-colored glasses now that it's out.)

That's a load. I wish I could hear what you're NOT hearing. I've been a fan for over 30 plus years. The album is great. The band sounds great. Geddy's vocals sounds great.

Don't call me delusional. angry.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ May 20 2007, 04:06 PM)
I wish I was hearing what all the rest of you are hearing, but I'm not.  (Frankly, I think you folks are all delusional; maybe you were so eager for a new Rush CD that you're seeing it with rose-colored glasses now that it's out.)

That's a load. I wish I could hear what you're NOT hearing. I've been a fan for over 30 plus years. The album is great. The band sounds great. Geddy's vocals sounds great.

Sorry if you're offended.

I just know that when MFH came out, I was a little self-delusional myself. I was stoked that we finally had something new, and that enthusiasm was expressed as a total rave for the album. But over time, I realized that it was an inferior work.

I just thought maybe some of you were as delusional now as I was then, and that over time the rose-colored glasses would come off, the honeymoon with the album would be over, and you'd come to see its place in the bigger Rush picture. (Somewhere in the bottom half of the ranking.)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (rushman14 @ May 20 2007, 04:06 PM)

Sorry if you're offended.

I just know that when MFH came out, I was a little self-delusional myself. I was stoked that we finally had something new, and that enthusiasm was expressed as a total rave for the album. But over time, I realized that it was an inferior work.

I just thought maybe some of you were as delusional now as I was then, and that over time the rose-colored glasses would come off, the honeymoon with the album would be over, and you'd come to see its place in the bigger Rush picture. (Somewhere in the bottom half of the ranking.)

In the larger bowl, I think Snakes & Arrows comes out above fourteen other Rush albums.

I don't think S&A will stand the test of time though....right now it's high on people's best Rush album lists, but I'm willing to bet in a few months it won't be so high anymore. It's the most fresh Rush album to people's ears, which is going to put it as "their 4th best Rush album" and/or "their best album in 25 years" at the moment.....who knows I could be wrong though (I was wrong several years ago).

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 20 2007, 03:51 PM)

Didn't think so...

Didn't think so.

goodpost.gif

You hit the nail on the head.

I think some people go through life with expectations that are too high. Then they find themselves feeling unfulfilled most of the time.

It's not a very good way to live.

Archived