Coming down from the high

Rushman14

I hate this part of experiencing a new Rush album. There's always the initial "growing on you" period, and then that Rush high when the album sinks in and blows your hair back, and then the comedown. I'm listening today and I'm not getting chills anymore. Bums me out. sad.gif I still love the album but the "WHOA!" factor is gone...and its only been a week.

I demand they get back into the studio immediately after the tour tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ May 7 2007, 02:44 PM)
I hate this part of experiencing a new Rush album. There's always the initial "growing on you" period, and then that Rush high when the album sinks in and blows your hair back, and then the comedown. I'm listening today and I'm not getting chills anymore. Bums me out. sad.gif I still love the album but the "WHOA!" factor is gone...and its only been a week.

I demand they get back into the studio immediately after the tour tongue.gif

If this were 1975, you'd only have to wait 6 months before the next one. tongue.gif

Not to worry, this is a normal part of the process. This phenomena has been coined "the polypeptide oscillation effect". The euphoric feelings you have for the record will come and go in wave like patterns until these oscillations achieve permanent neurological continuity, at which point your cerebral cortex will have achieved endogenous opiod biochemical harmony. Your Seratonin levels will then have been optimized by a short metabolic pathway - tryptophan hydroxylase and amino acid decarboxylase, generating all the excitement and pleasure you received during your very first listen. I am so full of shit.

So Again, not to worry! You'll have Snakes & Arrows to enjoy for many many more years to come. Assuming you live.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 7 2007, 04:02 PM)
Not to worry, this is a normal part of the process. This phenomena has been coined "the polypeptide oscillation effect". The euphoric feelings you have for the record will come and go in wave like patterns until these oscillations achieve permanent neurological continuity, at which point your cerebral cortex will have achieved endogenous opiod biochemical harmony. Your Seratonin levels will then have been optimized by a short metabolic pathway - tryptophan hydroxylase and amino acid decarboxylase, generating all the excitement and pleasure you received during your very first listen. I am so full of shit.
So Again, not to worry! You'll have Snakes & Arrows to enjoy for many many more years to come. Assuming you live.

Whatever you say... unsure.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 7 2007, 01:02 PM)

somehow, that makes perfect sense! trink39.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 7 2007, 03:02 PM)

laugh.gif that was awesome and very convincing!

I too am sorta comin down from the high...I still find myself listening to Monkey, Malnar, Larger Bowl, Far Cry and We Hold On for the most part, and sometimes Working them Angels and The Way the Wind Blows.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 7 2007, 04:02 PM)

It is also called the Law of Diminishing Returns

What D-Rock described happens to me all the time with Hold Your Fire and Hemispheres: my 2 favorites (besides Snakes and Arrows). One day I'm like, "WOW! HEMISPHERES IS AWESOME!" *1 week later* "Hemisphere is pretty cool. Then soon I'm back to "WOW! HEMISPHERES IS AWESOME!"

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ May 7 2007, 02:54 PM)
What D-Rock described happens to me all the time with Hold Your Fire and Hemispheres: my 2 favorites (besides Snakes and Arrows). One day I'm like, "WOW! HEMISPHERES IS AWESOME!" *1 week later* "Hemisphere is pretty cool. Then soon I'm back to "WOW! HEMISPHERES IS AWESOME!"

Don't get me wrong, S&A is still awesome. It's just that today was the first day Workin' Them Angels didn't make the hairs on the back of neck stand up. Like a junkie, I'm trying in vain to recapture the feeling.

or should I say vein cool10.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 7 2007, 03:02 PM)
Not to worry, this is a normal part of the process. This phenomena has  been coined "the polypeptide oscillation effect". The euphoric feelings you have for the record will come and go in wave like patterns until these oscillations achieve permanent neurological continuity, at which point your cerebral cortex will have achieved endogenous opiod biochemical harmony. Your Seratonin levels will then have been optimized by a short metabolic pathway - tryptophan hydroxylase and amino acid decarboxylase, generating all the excitement and pleasure you received during your very first listen. I am so full of shit.

"There are two things that give you the feeling of falling in love, Chocalate and newly released Rush albums."

From the clinical studies of Rush and the Brain.

I haven't been listening to it as much the last few days either, but that's mainly because I just finished the last track on my latest solo CD on Friday night, so since then I've just been listening to myself. (Now THAT's some malignant narcissism!)

Permanent Waves,Moving Pictures,Signals.

It wasen't until 1984 Grace Under Pressure did I start

(slightly) coming down from a RUSH high.

Counter Parts last time had this same feeling.

Now it's always "Learning to like it" excepting disapointment.

The moments of high are brief now.

S&A it's good, I guess it's going to take me awhile until I discover the greatness that other's see in it... confused13.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ May 8 2007, 01:29 AM)
Permanent Waves,Moving Pictures,Signals.
It wasen't until 1984 Grace Under Pressure did I start
(slightly) coming down from a RUSH high.
Counter Parts last time had this same feeling.
Now it's always "Learning to like it" excepting disapointment.
The moments of high are brief now.
S&A it's good, I guess it's going to take me awhile until I discover the greatness that other's see in it... confused13.gif

goodpost.gif

Good for you. Don't be afraid to express disappointment lest the sheep get up in arms. I'm with you in that the moments of high are briefer and fewer and more far between than they used to be.

I've actually put it away for a week.

I got it on Friday April 27th, played it a couple of times a day until the following Thursday, and haven't listened to it since.

I'll pull it out again next weekend and give it a fresh listen in the car.

For the moment, Porcupine Tree, Queensryche and the Dave Matthews Band have taken up residence in my stereos.

Now that the "honeymoon" with the new album is over for many of you, perhaps we'll get a balanced perspective on how good or bad it is. As it stands now, I think too many of you are saying "This is awesome! One of their top five albums of all time!"

fing.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ May 7 2007, 01:44 PM)
I hate this part of experiencing a new Rush album. There's always the initial "growing on you" period

Like I was pointing out, this wasen't always part of the "experience" with new 2.gif . That high lasted continual from 1980 to 1984.

There was no "growing on you" period. You knew right away these were awesome albums. Then it became sporadic after Grace. Power Windows was solid, but you started to feel something was starting to decline.

Now it's common place for learing to and growing on you as part of the process with each new RUSH release... sad.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ May 8 2007, 10:41 AM)
I hate this part of experiencing a new Rush album. There's always the initial "growing on you" period

Like I was pointing out, this wasen't always part of the "experience" with new 2.gif . That high lasted continual from 1980 to 1984.

There was no "growing on you" period. You knew right away these were awesome albums. Then it became sporadic after Grace. Power Windows was solid, but you started to feel something was starting to decline.

Now it's common place for learing to and growing on you as part of the process with each new RUSH release... sad.gif

I like the "growing on you" stage, when you feel the songs literally creeping under your skin. Happened big time with Armor and Sword. The last album I loved on first listen was Moving Pictures.

QUOTE (softfilter @ May 8 2007, 12:41 PM)

This is not true for me at all. I did not immediately appreciate GuP or Signals- sure they had their high points, but some of the songs took time to grow on me. Even MP wasn't an instant hit with me (I know, I know, heresy- but different strokes for different folks). This is probably due to the fact that I became a fan in the 90s with RtB and CP, and then worked backward from there. Perhaps if I'd grown up with more of a 70s influenced musical background those albums would have hit me better.

Now that I've been a longtime fan and am familiar with the entire catalog of Rush, I will heartily agree that MP is a classic rock album, not just Rush album, and Signals and GuP are strong efforts. But they didn't strike me that way at first blush.

All I'm trying to say is I don't think statements like "You knew right away" are fair, because personally I didn't know right away. Thing is, we all have our different tastes and reactions to the music, new and old, and that's cool.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ May 8 2007, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ May 8 2007, 12:41 PM)

This is not true for me at all. I did not immediately appreciate GuP or Signals- sure they had their high points, but some of the songs took time to grow on me. Even MP wasn't an instant hit with me (I know, I know, heresy- but different strokes for different folks). This is probably due to the fact that I became a fan in the 90s with RtB and CP, and then worked backward from there. Perhaps if I'd grown up with more of a 70s influenced musical background those albums would have hit me better.

Now that I've been a longtime fan and am familiar with the entire catalog of Rush, I will heartily agree that MP is a classic rock album, not just Rush album, and Signals and GuP are strong efforts. But they didn't strike me that way at first blush.

All I'm trying to say is I don't think statements like "You knew right away" are fair, because personally I didn't know right away. Thing is, we all have our different tastes and reactions to the music, new and old, and that's cool.

Good point, I should rephrase that for MY personal taste "I knew right away"

Still, for me I'm tired of the learning to like it phase.

And hey rushman, nice Bettie Page? action shot in your signature! bd.gif laugh.gif

I think that my problem with the albums since Presto is that I didn't/don't get to "discover" them like I did with Show of Hands and everything earlier. A buddy let me check out his 2112 tape and I was in the mall looking for anything that said Rush on it the next day... nowadays I can't do that. I have to be lined up for the release and experience the aforementioned gobbledygook with the rest.

I keep thinking of that Geico advert where the caveman mentions his "existential meltdown"... funny stuff.

Also don't forget, many of us on here are much older than we were when Moving Pictures, Signals, GUP to name a few first came out. For some, our enthusiasm for music in general may have diminished a degree or two over time. Not to say we are any less music fans then we were, but other things in life get more attention and priorities shift - kids, mortgages, RRSP's and so forth. Fortunately for me, this hasn't happened yet.

QUOTE (softfilter @ May 10 2007, 12:04 AM)
And hey rushman, nice Bettie Page? action shot in your signature!  bd.gif  laugh.gif

thanks dude! It kind of makes me drool1.gif

Archived