Review and Retiring

lerkst

QUOTE (maxdistortion @ May 1 2007, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 1 2007, 12:31 PM)
It's the official Snakes and Arrows Haters Thread!  fists crying.gif  scared.gif  fists crying.gif  scared.gif  fists crying.gif  scared.gif

Seriously, I do feel bad for those of you who are so dissapointed in S&A

But I'm surprised you find Snakes to be "slow" and "boring." At least six or seven of the songs are "uptempo" and even the slow or halftime songs have an energy and enthusiasm I haven't heard from Rush since CP or even GUP.

If Rush has a "boring" record, I think it would be TFE.  In TFE (the song) after the intro and buildup, when they go into that slow halftime verse the energy just seems to drop out of the song.  TFE was the only Rush album I was ever dissapointed by, but I stuck with them and was happy with VT and happier now with S&A.

S&A is a very different Rush record.  It is pretty dark and is also (IMO) a very complex and dense record.  Give it some time to grow on you before giving up on it.  Go back and listen to some older Rush and see if Snakes really sounds so bad in comparison.  I was listening to PoW recently and couldn't believe how cheesy and synth/poppy it sounds in places.  I think Snakes is really closer to Rush's FBN-MP period than the synth/pop albums.

dude, c'mon...this is a MUCH slower-tempo record compared to even CP and T4E. And Power Windows was wicked! As dated as it MAY sound, the songwriting aspect of it is pretty good and the beats were just faster...

This album, in terms of SONGWRITING, is alot more similar in MY OPINION to Presto and Roll the Bones. Kinda softer, more melodic, and not as fast.

It might be a bit of a stretch to say that theres so much enthusiasm since GUP...I think Counterparts was their strongest offering inbetween GUP and this--that was their statement that they're back to ROCK.

BTW I agree with you 100% on the T4E the SONG. I never thought of it that way, good point..

hrm...i view the power windows/hold your fire era as a Rush low point. that is what is so great about them. not every album sounds like the last. VIVA LA DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! or something..

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think too many folks are expecting them to sound like they used to. They will never again sound like they used to - that time has passed. It's not a bad thing though. It's not like the older material is lost! We have the best of both worlds.

I, for one, like both the "crunch" of the old stuff and the subtlety (sp?) of the newer stuff. I love hemispheres but also think Hold You Fire is vastly underrated. I do wish Alex were a little more prominent in S&A. He is so talented that I don't know why he's hiding. But I think he's focusing on "textures" lately.

I don't hate this one, but in typical Rush fashion, it is going to take a little while to digest and make a verdict. I love GUP, but it was such a departure from their earlier work that it had to grow on me.

I do know this...after just one listen, I was blown away by armor and sword...and the first 56 seconds of MalNar ain't too bad either!

1022.gif

I have to admit the musician part of has a very hard time taking comments like "faster" or "slower" very seriously...I mean....wtf?.....I listen to music of all styles and there is no "optimal speed" for music...

QUOTE (joseph523 @ May 1 2007, 12:40 PM)
I think too many folks are expecting them to sound like they used to. They will never again sound like they used to - that time has passed. It's not a bad thing though. It's not like the older material is lost! We have the best of both worlds.

I, for one, like both the "crunch" of the old stuff and the subtlety (sp?) of the newer stuff. I love hemispheres but also think Hold You Fire is vastly underrated. I do wish Alex were a little more prominent in S&A. He is so talented that I don't know why he's hiding. But I think he's focusing on "textures" lately.

I think he tried harder on S&A compared to VT however:) he said in an interview that he "conciously held back" on VT. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Barnacle @ May 1 2007, 12:42 PM)
I have to admit the musician part of has a very hard time taking comments like "faster" or "slower" very seriously...I mean....wtf?.....I listen to music of all styles and there is no "optimal speed" for music...

i've personally never constructed a song with "this needs to be up" or "lets do a slow song"

they evolve naturally. and frankly i'm a bit put out when people refer to one as "too slow". take a song for what it is, not for what you THINK it should be.

QUOTE (Barnacle @ May 1 2007, 12:42 PM)

true, but Rush didn't get their reputation by making songs like this. I know i know i know--they change it up, good for them. i'm just saying, the STRONG majority of thier fans have come to expect something SLIGHTLY more virtuostic then their last couple of releases. But I pretty much knew that after Vapor Trails, those days were over, and at least this is an improvement over VT and at least the music is still enjoyable but not so much in the musicianship sense as much as it is in the SONGWRITING sense.

QUOTE (lerkst @ May 1 2007, 06:51 AM)
My beef with Snakes is that it's as boring as hell. First off, Neil's lyrics are getting out of hand...have him step asided and let Geddy and Alex try writing ONE album. Just for fun.

they already let Geddy write a Rush album and it was titled "My Favorite Headache". I don't know Lerkst, I have to disagree with most of your review. I'll elaborate after about 10 more spins.

QUOTE (tangdog @ May 1 2007, 10:53 AM)
One listen so far and I say 1022.gif

Today is a very good day.

I agree. I've listened to it three times now, and liking it better each time. I guess that I'm in the "masterpiece" group and I'm very glad of that.

QUOTE (maxdistortion @ May 1 2007, 11:06 AM)
Every other song in my opinion -- while it hasnt grown on me yet -- i DID notice the particular "distjointedness" and "poor structure" people are talking about.  Some of it is done on purpose--songs being in 3/4 time and weird counterbeats

Sorry, I have to comment on this "song structure" complaint. sarcasm.gif

Have you guys ever heard of a song called La Villa Strangiato? It's all over the freakin' place! It has a completely bizarre structure, but I hope you'll agree it's brilliant. Or how about twenty minute song suites like 2112 or Hemispheres? Rush has always bended the rules of song structure. Why would you expect a Rush song to go: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus? confused13.gif

And I REALLY hope you're not complaining about the shifting time signatures and tempos, because that's another Rush trademark.

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

My First post on this thread.

One or two songs have a couple of tired sounding parts.

The REST of the album is extremely fresh, complex and f$#@^$#ing rocking.

Love it.

If you play music you can understand how complex a few sections of this album really are.

It is so thick, it takes alot to digest.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ May 1 2007, 12:49 PM)
My beef with Snakes is that it's as boring as hell. First off, Neil's lyrics are getting out of hand...have him step asided and let Geddy and Alex try writing ONE album. Just for fun.

they already let Geddy write a Rush album and it was titled "My Favorite Headache". I don't know Lerkst, I have to disagree with most of your review. I'll elaborate after about 10 more spins.

While you do that, I'll be listening to Green Vinyl Dream....and making a pass at your sister.

QUOTE (lerkst @ May 1 2007, 11:12 AM)

While you do that, I'll be listening to Green Vinyl Dream....and making a pass at your sister.

I dont have a sister so you must have the hots for my brother. That explains it. Enjoy the GVD! 1022.gif

Why the hate? confused13.gif Maybe the songs aren't "masterpiece level" but they are certainly good songs. Anyway, on the first few listens it's a very good album and I definately had less pleasurable experiences with quite a few other Rush albums. Well done, especially for fiftysomethings. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 1 2007, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ May 1 2007, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (lerkst @ May 1 2007, 08:51 AM)
Song Structure.

Yup. That's what it lacks.

Finbar, I assume you're being sarcastic there? I thought you were a musician.

I love people here telling guys who have been writing songs and selling millions of albums and playing countless shows and building up one of the most loyal fan bases in music for 33 years that their new songs lack "song structure." That's hysterical. laugh.gif

Hysterical indeed eyesre4.gif

Here's a review of an album that lerxt might think applies to S+A

"This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."

S+A is fantastic man, its not immediate fluff overall, but its a grower, its very dense. Songwriting is good playing is good 1022.gif

Tmmb kick ass

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 1 2007, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (maxdistortion @ May 1 2007, 11:06 AM)
Every other song in my opinion -- while it hasnt grown on me yet -- i DID notice the particular "distjointedness" and "poor structure" people are talking about.  Some of it is done on purpose--songs being in 3/4 time and weird counterbeats

Sorry, I have to comment on this "song structure" complaint. sarcasm.gif

Have you guys ever heard of a song called La Villa Strangiato? It's all over the freakin' place! It has a completely bizarre structure, but I hope you'll agree it's brilliant. Or how about twenty minute song suites like 2112 or Hemispheres? Rush has always bended the rules of song structure. Why would you expect a Rush song to go: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus? confused13.gif

And I REALLY hope you're not complaining about the shifting time signatures and tempos, because that's another Rush trademark.

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

no no, I wasn't knocking rush for the 3/4 time thing. I can tell the difference between when a song is in an odd-time signature or the feel of it changes, and when a song is disjointed. and i believe some of them sound disjointed. Vapor trails was more so then this though.

QUOTE (lerkst @ May 1 2007, 01:12 PM)

I was going to compliment you, Lerkst, on your ability to criticize the album and defend your arguments without getting personal or attacking others' opinions.

But now you're just being a baby.

QUOTE (andrew28 @ May 1 2007, 11:51 AM)

I was going to compliment you, Lerkst, on your ability to criticize the album and defend your arguments without getting personal or attacking others' opinions.

he's not attacking my opinion. we're friends so he gets a pass, even if his tastes are suspect. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ May 1 2007, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (andrew28 @ May 1 2007, 11:51 AM)

he's not attacking my opinion. we're friends so he gets a pass, even if his tastes are suspect. tongue.gif

My apologies (not for being his friend; but for my previous post)! trink39.gif

Archived