Review and Retiring

lerkst

I have hestitated, and prolonged this...because my first reaction to the album was not grounded enough.

I long for the day of the band saying " This is the worst album we've done"----then we'll get an album that actually lives up to the hype we get and we give.

Personally, I don't care if they retire or not. I've seen them enough times.

Alex has said 'best work in years' before---for Test for Echo. At the time, and until about 3 or four days ago, I thought it was the worst record they've done. It's not. I stand corrected.

Fast forward 11 years, and the same thing happens again. They start hyping Snakes and Arrows, as 'best work in years'.

Vapour Trails came out, and it was a trial by fire for the band. Geddy said he didn't like to listen to it. What do we get? Their best album since Presto.

Now Snakes and Arrows comes out, I've listened to it MANY times. Many times. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again. Even Main Monkey Business is good, but it's just so cluttered.

My beef with Snakes is that it's as boring as hell. First off, Neil's lyrics are getting out of hand...have him step asided and let Geddy and Alex try writing ONE album. Just for fun.

Also, so many people talk about the songwriting on the album....it's just so complex that it sounds muddled. Not in production, but in composition. I try and listen to it, and enjoy it, but it's so inaccessible.

I'd hazzard a guess that this might just be their most 'unfriendly' album since Caress of Steel. It's easily their most depressing since Grace Under Pressure.

I'm happy that they are happy with it---and truthfully, I think this might just be more experimental. I figure that the NEXT album they release will be a bit more focused.

But, I went back and re-listened to the worst album I THOUGHT they had recorded---Test for Echo--, just to see if I was being harsh. I'm not...it's got some crap on it, but it's got something that is missing from Snakes.

Song Structure.

Snakes and Arrows isn't a BAD album---no in the slightest. But it's BORING, to the point of ad nauseum. That's worse than 'bad' in my books

I hope you guys enjoy the tour, and I hope the album sells by the bucket.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have the link to the Dixie Chicks forum?

confused13.gif wtf.gif eh.gif

Anyway dude, sorry you feel that way. Its not going to blow everyone's skirt up. I'm not opposed to hearing Geddy and Alex write some lyrics. But then we'll be back here again firing up the flames a la the My Favorite Headache

You just cant please everyone.

My heart goes out to you Lerkst...to be so disappointed when so many others are claiming it to be a masterpiece. I respect your opinion, as sad as it makes me feel.

Looks like you're not the only one - just take a look at this review from the Globe & Mail - they're giving it two stars - yikes! wacko.gif

NEW RELEASES

ROCK

ROBERT EVERETT-GREEN

Snakes and Arrows

Rush

Anthem/Universal

We've been in this place before. The hosts are amiable, sometimes entertaining, and always ready to share the wisdom of their years. Too ready, perhaps. Just as you start to get back in sync with Rush's powerful, angular, dated kind of rock (hey, this august Canadian band has been recording for three decades), Geddy Lee opens his mouth and delivers another leaden platitude from the pen of lyricist/drummer Neil Peart.

You try to flee into the instrumentals, which are proficient as always, full of riffs and fills that will have the air-music crowd flailing their fingers in admiration. Spindrift begins and ends with a great octave motif that forms out of chaos, and there's a chromatic build in the middle of the song that seems to defer resolution indefinitely. But the tunes are not so memorable, and you're thrown inevitably back to the lyrics, and you think maybe of an old uncle who's always feeding you aphorisms that bore rather than inform.

I am not sure how I will feel about S&A after awhile...I really liked VT when it came out...but I put on Freeze the other day...and damn it sounded disjointed beyond belief....lately I have been listening to very far ou tjazz and fusion ....one band the Out Trio ( Terry Bozzios band) ....and still some of the VT stuff sounded like it was trying too hard...S&A...sounds more like songs from a band who can play but don't feel they need to show off anymore...I just know Rushs releases ever since Signals have resulted in a ton of controversy from people who follow them...I remember how bad the Metal heads hated them for that album...the haircuts the clothes the flock of seagulls comparisons....

I know the clipping recently after being away from Rush in Rio and VT has been hard to listen to....I like clarity and hearing instruments...without alot of compression and processing...the clipping makes it hard to listen to...and yes I have done some recording myself. I prefer real drums sounds to "loud and crispy" beathorse.gif beathorse.gif beathorse.gif

QUOTE (Erebus @ May 1 2007, 09:00 AM)
My heart goes out to you Lerkst...to be so disappointed when so many others are claiming it to be a masterpiece. I respect your opinion, as sad as it makes me feel.

Thanks for that, but man, you make it sound like the band went off and DIED!

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (lerkst @ May 1 2007, 08:51 AM)
I have hestitated, and prolonged this...because my first reaction to the album was not grounded enough.

I long for the day of the band saying " This is the worst album we've done"----then we'll get an album that actually lives up to the hype we get and we give.

Alex has said 'best work in years' before---for Test for Echo. At the time, and until about 3 or four days ago, I thought it was the worst record they've done. It's not. I stand corrected.

Fast forward 11 years, and the same thing happens again. They start hyping Snakes and Arrows, as 'best work in years'.

Vapour Trails came out, and it was a trial by fire for the band. Geddy said he didn't like to listen to it. What do we get? Their best album since Presto.

Now Snakes and Arrows comes out, I've listened to it MANY times. Many times. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again. Even Main Monkey Business is good, but it's just so cluttered.

My beef with Snakes is that it's as boring as hell. First off, Neil's lyrics are getting out of hand...have him step asided and let Geddy and Alex try writing ONE album. Just for fun.

Also, so many people talk about the songwriting on the album....it's just so complex that it sounds muddled. Not in production, but in composition. I try and listen to it, and enjoy it, but it's so inaccessible.

I'd hazzard a guess that this might just be their most 'unfriendly' album since Caress of Steel. It's easily their most depressing since Grace Under Pressure.

I'm happy that they are happy with it---and truthfully, I think this might just be more experimental. I figure that the NEXT album they release will be a bit more focused.

But, I went back and re-listened to the worst album I THOUGHT they had recorded---Test for Echo--, just to see if I was being harsh. I'm not...it's got some crap on it, but it's got something that is missing from Snakes.

Song Structure.

Snakes and Arrows isn't a BAD album---no in the slightest. But it's BORING, to the point of ad nauseum. That's worse than 'bad' in my books

I agree......this album is extremely boring and slow..........I'm very happy for the people here at TRF that find the "masterpiece" in it.

trink39.gif

Wow, refreshing to see that not everyone is worshipping the album. I haven't purchased it yet (plan to go to Fry's at lunch) so I have no idea of what the album will be like except for listening to Far Cry from the internet.

Back when Presto came out, a long time friend of mine said that he didn't like the album because "...it doesn't have many 'fast' songs, it's a boring album...". I told him what I liked about the album and after a few listens, he learned to enjoy the album.

Taking out the questionable lyrics and song structure, is S&A in those lines (please don't mistake me for saying that Presto's song writing is dis-jointed or the lyrics are bloviated--it's not, I love Presto)?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

QUOTE (PRSCE @ May 1 2007, 09:41 AM)
Wow, refreshing to see that not everyone is worshipping the album. I haven't purchased it yet (plan to go to Fry's at lunch) so I have no idea of what the album will be like except for listening to Far Cry from the internet.

Back when Presto came out, a long time friend of mine said that he didn't like the album because "...it doesn't have many 'fast' songs, it's a boring album...". I told him what I liked about the album and after a few listens, he learned to enjoy the album.

Taking out the questionable lyrics and song structure, is S&A in those lines (please don't mistake me for saying that Presto's song writing is dis-jointed or the lyrics are bloviated--it's not, I love Presto)?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

no, Snakes is flat-out boring. Hope is the real standout, I believe, and it's an Alex song.

Lerkst I couldn't agree with you more. I have only got the chance to listen to it once, but I was also very disappointed. Maybe it will grow on me like some of them in the past. I hated Power Windows when it first came out but now it doesn't come out of my cd player.

QUOTE (Red_Lenses @ May 1 2007, 09:53 AM)
Lerkst I couldn't agree with you more. I have only got the chance to listen to it once, but I was also very disappointed. Maybe it will grow on me like some of them in the past. I hated Power Windows when it first came out but now it doesn't come out of my cd player.

Don't put Power Windows and Snakes and Arrows in the same sentence; quality wise. Thematically, I DID draw a comparison originally, but Power Windows ROCKS.

There's nothing even CLOSE to Big Money in terms of Tempo or feel, on this album.

So, I hope you enjoy the album more. But I see no point in listening to it. I don't have the time to FORCE myself to like Snakes, just because it's Rush. There's other things I'd rather listen to.

Snakes and Arrows will gather dust in my cd shelf. Oh, wait, that's right---I'M NOT GOING TO OWN IT.

I'm VERY picky what I listen too and I don't have a lot of CD's, mainly because I rarely like anymore than 50% of what's on them. All I can say is S&A makes up for all the albums that came after Power Windows. With Hold Your Fire and on, Rush was dead to me. There were a few songs here and there that I liked from albums after that but never any more than 3 songs or fewer. I liked more than a few tracks on VT when it first came out but I fastly realized that I was liking them because of Rush going back to their sans keyboard roots, so it quickly wore off and the sound quality was just terrible. S&A picks up where they left off in '86. I don't mean the 80's sound but just good music. Although I don't like Far Cry much, I like all the other tracks on S&A. This would be the first Rush album since Moving Pictures where I like all the tracks but one (I hate Vital Signs), and I've listened to it 6 times now, and I like it even better.

M

wtf.gif Am I dreaming? I can't believe so many of you are trashing the album. It's your opinion so I completely respect that, I just don't know how you can say the album is boring.

What were you expecting? I think this is one of their best albums. And yes, I am biased because I have enjoyed every album. There were things about other albums that I disliked (i.e. production, certain songs, riffs or whatever) but never to the point of being so harsh on them.

This band has been giving us top rate for how many years now? The production on Snakes is great. The songs are strong and enjoyable. The lyrics may not be as complex as they once were, but so what? Neil is coming from a different place then where he once was. As usual they sound like nothing else out there (thank God), and they still rock harder than half the bullshit bands out there that hop on the latest bandwagon.

They seem to be enjoying themselves. They seem happy with what they have created. I know I am happy to be holding yet another great 2.gif album in my hand right now. I am so sorry for those of you the really do not like this album. I can't understand it. I respect ya, but I just don't get it. Look further. Dig deeper. Sometimes simple isn't so simple in retrospect. I am grateful they are still making music and will be grateful until the day they stop. Then I will be grateful for what they have left behind.

bsg.gif Okay, let the backlash begin.........................LOL

I just have to say that upon first listen my thoughts were "that's it" all the hype and anticipation made me expect more, However after the 4th, 5th, 6th time around I've come to love it even thoguh i had my hopes up for something a little faster

I'm soooo suprised that you all don't like it! i think it's modern and sounds great!! there are always people that don't like the new album when it comes out...Give it a chance, some times it grows on you.

QUOTE (keakag @ May 1 2007, 10:18 AM)
I'm soooo suprised that you all don't like it! i think it's modern and sounds great!! there are always people that don't like the new album when it comes out...Give it a chance, some times it grows on you.

Most people on this forum like it.....there are only a few of us that don't.

Song Structure.

Yup. That's what it lacks.

QUOTE (Chutsk10 @ May 1 2007, 10:14 AM)
I just have to say that upon first listen my thoughts were "that's it" all the hype and anticipation made me expect more, However after the 4th, 5th, 6th time around I've come to love it even thoguh i had my hopes up for something a little faster

I'm an old fan, and a new member here. I can honestly say this. I haven't heard the new album. I detested VP at first but it grew on me and now I actually enjoy it. I'm not a fan of the 84 - 87 era, so to me, the further they depart from the keys the better. Far Cry is the only song i've yet heard and I like it. But I've been waiting in vain for almost 30 years for "hemispheres II", so I doubt any album will absolutely light me up.

remember, one of the most enduring aspects of Rush is no two albums sound alike. THIS is what modern musicans should learn from Rush as lesson number one.

Now Snakes and Arrows comes out, I've listened to it MANY times. Many times. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again. Even Main Monkey Business is good, but it's just so  cluttered.

Song Structure.

Sounds like it's just not commercial enough for you.

Do you think when people listened to "Xanadu" or "The Trees" for the first time they thought "wow, I love it?" (NOT that I'm comparing anything on S&A to those two songs).

I just think that most Rush albums require a few listens to truly appreciate.

It's not like you're picking up the latest "Nickelback" album and it doesn't have any catchy hooks.

Rush is not a "Top 40" band.

Anyway, if you don't like this one album, that's fine. They've got enough other material to keep us all happy.

QUOTE (andrew28 @ May 1 2007, 10:35 AM)

Now Snakes and Arrows comes out, I've listened to it MANY times. Many times. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again. Even Main Monkey Business is good, but it's just so  cluttered.

Song Structure.

Sounds like it's just not commercial enough for you.

Do you think when people listened to "Xanadu" or "The Trees" for the first time they thought "wow, I love it?" (NOT that I'm comparing anything on S&A to those two songs).

I just think that most Rush albums require a few listens to truly appreciate.

It's not like you're picking up the latest "Nickelback" album and it doesn't have any catchy hooks.

Rush is not a "Top 40" band.

Anyway, if you don't like this one album, that's fine. They've got enough other material to keep us all happy.

It's got nothing to do with being commercial or not.......

I don't understand the mentality of writing off, forever, this album after one or two listens, especially if you're a Rush fan. "I don't have time to learn to like the album" or whatever... Huh?

It's not like you have to lock yourself in a sensory deprivation chamber while you listen to it... just have it play while you do other things.

I will admit that I was decidedly underwhelmed when I listened to it the first time. And I also questioned the song structures... some of them seemed disjointed and confusing to me. But hey, it's RUSH. The music is SUPPOSED to challenge your ears. That's part of the fun of it.

So I listened more. Each time I listened I picked up more things I liked. On the fourth time through, it "clicked." Now I love it. LOVE it. Best Rush album since Grace Under Pressure, in my opinion. And it's not like I'm giving them extra credit because they're fossils that somehow managed to crank out a halfway decent album. This album has all of the vitality of the band in its heyday. I also don't understand the stuff about it being too slow. I guess it's because I've been a musician for most of my life and I realize that playing lots of notes doesn't make the music "fast," just "busy." Sometimes that's good, and sometimes it gets in the way. But I think these songs are pretty much in the same mid-tempo range that most of the band's songs are in.

But I could blather on and on. My point is simply this: I think if you make a final judgment against this album without listening to it at least 4 times, you're doing the band, and yourself, an injustice.

Archived