Review and Retiring

lerkst

QUOTE (Red_Lenses @ May 1 2007, 10:53 AM)
Lerkst I couldn't agree with you more. I have only got the chance to listen to it once, but I was also very disappointed. Maybe it will grow on me like some of them in the past. I hated Power Windows when it first came out but now it doesn't come out of my cd player.

You say you agree with him about S&A based on ONE LISTEN, yet you say PoW grew on you after hating it initially. Ummm.... confused13.gif

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ May 1 2007, 10:28 AM)
lerkst
don't you feel guilty for stealing the album?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

--guilty? Oh yes, I'm having trouble sleeping.

No, I'm not feeling guilty...I dloaded listen to it, gave it to my neighbour--he's buying it, spent $300 dollars on tickets.

No, I feel no guilt downloading it at all. I've put enough money in their pockets.

I'm not selling it---THAT would make me feel bad.

Everybody takes this d-loading thing SO seriously. It just makes me howl with laughter.

QUOTE (Room 34 @ May 1 2007, 10:46 AM)
I don't understand the mentality of writing off, forever, this album after one or two listens, especially if you're a Rush fan. "I don't have time to learn to like the album" or whatever... Huh?

I agree. Were i to discard every CD i bought because of a negative first impression, I would have about only six in my collection. Music in general, and Rush in particular, is too textured and deep to give it a thumbs down after an initial listen. I'm STILL learning things from Signals for God's sake.

QUOTE (Finbar @ May 1 2007, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (lerkst @ May 1 2007, 08:51 AM)
Song Structure.

Yup. That's what it lacks.

Finbar, I assume you're being sarcastic there? I thought you were a musician.

I love people here telling guys who have been writing songs and selling millions of albums and playing countless shows and building up one of the most loyal fan bases in music for 33 years that their new songs lack "song structure." That's hysterical. laugh.gif

Well what some people call boring I call MELODIC! This album is anything but boring to me. There are 10 songs that have sucked me in and are constantly rotating in my head. My former favorite Rush album, Moving Pictures only had 7 songs on the whole album! That's right, I have a new favorite Rush album, SNAKES BABY!! common001.gif

As far as I see it, If everyone loved Snakes & Arrows at first listen, it wouldn't be a Rush album.

Rush has never been predictable with music style and that's one of the reasons I love them.

QUOTE (droolingpictures @ May 1 2007, 10:56 AM)
Well what some people call boring I call MELODIC! This album is anything but boring to me. There are 10 songs that have sucked me in and are constantly rotating in my head. My former favorite Rush album, Moving Pictures only had 7 songs on the whole album! That's right, I have a new favorite Rush album, SNAKES BABY!! common001.gif

Good! Thats f***ing awesome....means Rush is still relevant. Just because I have no use for the record doesn't mean I don't want others to like it.

Now if I can only get Zach and the boys to stay together for more than four dates...*fingers crossed*

QUOTE (BruceMcc @ May 1 2007, 10:57 AM)
As far as I see it, If everyone loved Snakes & Arrows at first listen, it wouldn't be a Rush album.

Rush has never been predictable with music style and that's one of the reasons I love them.

You clearly hit the nail on the head.

my initial impression of it basically was that it was going to be overtly mellow, and i was kinda disappointed. then Malnar and Monkey Business totally kicked my ass...Far Cry is probably the only truly memorable song on here, but personally I LOVE The Larger Bowl, thats probably the most "accessible" song on here other than Far Cry.

Every other song in my opinion -- while it hasnt grown on me yet -- i DID notice the particular "distjointedness" and "poor structure" people are talking about. Some of it is done on purpose--songs being in 3/4 time and weird counterbeats, but I notice at times Geddy is struggling to make Neil's words FIT with the songs...AT TIMES.

I just wanna say 1 other thing for the record. I didn't like Vapor Trails. The main difference I find between that record and this, is Vapor Trails had a whole slew of average songs. Snakes And Arrows, seems to me, has a handful of really good songs, and a handful of forgetful ones. Just my opinion.

But yes, Lerxst, your review of the S&A is fair, --in fact, right at this very moment my brother and father are probably puking while listening to this CD. LOL. They find it boring as well, and I can see how they would. I also craved faster songs. But i'll take it for what it is. I see this record more in the mould of Roll the Bones than Test For Echo or Counterparts.

QUOTE (maxdistortion @ May 1 2007, 11:06 AM)
Some of it is done on purpose--songs being in 3/4 time and weird counterbeats, but I notice at times Geddy is struggling to make Neil's words FIT with the songs...AT TIMES.

As someone in another thread referred to as "shoehorning".......I also agree.

But really I think the bottom line with this album is, that it was rushed (no pun intended)......to me alot of the songs sound like jams with lyrics slapped over top......and as others have pointed out, the song structure is weak.

So, is the new album any good? wink.gif

I guess I will find out in a few hours for myself.

My big observation (which naturally, many will disagree with) is that the better songs on the album are front-loaded. After "Hope" and "Faithless" the songs sort of go downhill for me. Not that I don't like the latter songs; I just find the front half of the album to be stronger than the back half.

I will say though that "Hope" wasn't the big and wonderful tune that others made it out to be.

disclaimer: I've only listened to it once which means my overall opinion won't really take shape until after a few more listens.

QUOTE (lerkst @ May 1 2007, 07:51 AM)
I have hestitated, and prolonged this...because my first reaction to the album was not grounded enough.

I long for the day of the band saying " This is the worst album we've done"----then we'll get an album that actually lives up to the hype we get and we give.

Personally, I don't care if they retire or not. I've seen them enough times.

Alex has said 'best work in years' before---for Test for Echo. At the time, and until about 3 or four days ago, I thought it was the worst record they've done. It's not. I stand corrected.

Fast forward 11 years, and the same thing happens again. They start hyping Snakes and Arrows, as 'best work in years'.

Vapour Trails came out, and it was a trial by fire for the band. Geddy said he didn't like to listen to it. What do we get? Their best album since Presto.

Now Snakes and Arrows comes out, I've listened to it MANY times. Many times. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again. Even Main Monkey Business is good, but it's just so cluttered.

My beef with Snakes is that it's as boring as hell. First off, Neil's lyrics are getting out of hand...have him step asided and let Geddy and Alex try writing ONE album. Just for fun.

Also, so many people talk about the songwriting on the album....it's just so complex that it sounds muddled. Not in production, but in composition. I try and listen to it, and enjoy it, but it's so inaccessible.

I'd hazzard a guess that this might just be their most 'unfriendly' album since Caress of Steel. It's easily their most depressing since Grace Under Pressure.

I'm happy that they are happy with it---and truthfully, I think this might just be more experimental. I figure that the NEXT album they release will be a bit more focused.

But, I went back and re-listened to the worst album I THOUGHT they had recorded---Test for Echo--, just to see if I was being harsh. I'm not...it's got some crap on it, but it's got something that is missing from Snakes.

Song Structure.

Snakes and Arrows isn't a BAD album---no in the slightest. But it's BORING, to the point of ad nauseum. That's worse than 'bad' in my books

I hope you guys enjoy the tour, and I hope the album sells by the bucket.

AND YOU ARE A RUSH FAN WHY???????????

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 1 2007, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (Red_Lenses @ May 1 2007, 10:53 AM)
Lerkst I couldn't agree with you more. I have only got the chance to listen to it once, but I was also very disappointed. Maybe it will grow on me like some of them in the past. I hated Power Windows when it first came out but now it doesn't come out of my cd player.

You say you agree with him about S&A based on ONE LISTEN, yet you say PoW grew on you after hating it initially. Ummm.... confused13.gif

ummmm what? I was disappointed at first, I have to admit I posted to fast about the album after listening to it. I'm on my 5th play now and it's really not that bad......

I have been a Rush fan for a very long time and it usually takes me a few listens, I jumped the gun so let me take my foot out of my mouth and pass me a plate of crow

Not flaming in the least bit and I DO respect your opinion but my guess is as a band evolves maybe some of their fans don't.As far as Snakes.... I hear a few good songs and even one great song but the album as a whole doesnt blow me away. Neils playing still does though.

QUOTE (andrew28 @ May 1 2007, 11:16 AM)
My big observation (which naturally, many will disagree with) is that the better songs on the album are front-loaded. After "Hope" and "Faithless" the songs sort of go downhill for me. Not that I don't like the latter songs; I just find the front half of the album to be stronger than the back half.

I tend to agree man...Far Cry through Larger Bowl is pretty well awesome. Here we go--I'm listening to Larger Bowl for the 6th time today. And I'm getting chills. Uh oh! Rush song's growin on me already:D

Meanwhile I have yet to fully appreciate the second half. LOL I cant stop listening to Monkey and Malnar:D, which are tracks I've heard already hehe

QUOTE (Finbar @ May 1 2007, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (lerkst @ May 1 2007, 08:51 AM)
Song Structure.

Yup. That's what it lacks.

Finbar - I'm waiting to hear your instrumental or pantoum

QUOTE (NISH2112 @ May 1 2007, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (lerkst @ May 1 2007, 07:51 AM)
I have hestitated, and prolonged this...because my first reaction to the album was not grounded enough.

I long for the day of the band saying " This is the worst album we've done"----then we'll get an album that actually lives up to the hype we get and we give.

Personally, I don't care if they retire or not. I've seen them enough times.

Alex has said 'best work in years' before---for Test for Echo. At the time, and until about 3 or four days ago, I thought it was the worst record they've done. It's not. I stand corrected.

Fast forward 11 years, and the same thing happens again. They start hyping Snakes and Arrows, as 'best work in years'.

Vapour Trails came out, and it was a trial by fire for the band. Geddy said he didn't like to listen to it. What do we get? Their best album since Presto.

Now Snakes and Arrows comes out, I've listened to it MANY times. Many times. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again. Even Main Monkey Business is good, but it's just so  cluttered.

My beef with Snakes is that it's as boring as hell. First off, Neil's lyrics are getting out of hand...have him step asided and let Geddy and Alex try writing ONE album. Just for fun.

Also, so many people talk about the songwriting on the album....it's just so complex that it sounds muddled. Not in production, but in composition. I try and listen to it, and enjoy it, but it's so inaccessible.

I'd hazzard a guess that this might just be their most 'unfriendly' album since Caress of Steel. It's easily their most depressing since Grace Under Pressure.

I'm happy that they are happy with it---and truthfully, I think this might just be more experimental. I figure that the NEXT album they release will be a bit more focused.

But, I went back and re-listened to the worst album I THOUGHT they had recorded---Test for Echo--, just to see if I was being harsh. I'm not...it's got some crap on it, but it's got something that is missing from Snakes.

Song Structure.

Snakes and Arrows isn't a BAD album---no in the slightest. But it's BORING, to the point of ad nauseum. That's worse than 'bad' in my books

I hope you guys enjoy the tour, and I hope the album sells by the bucket.

AND YOU ARE A RUSH FAN WHY???????????

Because I am, roll the bones.

It's the official Snakes and Arrows Haters Thread! fists crying.gif scared.gif fists crying.gif scared.gif fists crying.gif scared.gif

Seriously, I do feel bad for those of you who are so dissapointed in S&A.

But I'm surprised you find Snakes to be "slow" and "boring." At least six or seven of the songs are "uptempo" and even the slow or halftime songs have an energy and enthusiasm I haven't heard from Rush since CP or even GUP.

If Rush has a "boring" record, I think it would be TFE. In TFE (the song) after the intro and buildup, when they go into that slow halftime verse the energy just seems to drop out of the song. TFE was the only Rush album I was ever dissapointed by, but I stuck with them and was happy with VT and happier now with S&A.

S&A is a very different Rush record. It is pretty dark and is also (IMO) a very complex and dense record. Give it some time to grow on you before giving up on it. Go back and listen to some older Rush and see if Snakes really sounds so bad in comparison. I was listening to PoW recently and couldn't believe how cheesy and synth/poppy it sounds in places. I think Snakes is really closer to Rush's FBN-MP period than the synth/pop albums.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 1 2007, 12:31 PM)
It's the official Snakes and Arrows Haters Thread! fists crying.gif scared.gif fists crying.gif scared.gif fists crying.gif scared.gif

Seriously, I do feel bad for those of you who are so dissapointed in S&A.

But I'm surprised you find Snakes to be "slow" and "boring." At least six or seven of the songs are "uptempo" and even the slow or halftime songs have an energy and enthusiasm I haven't heard from Rush since CP or even GUP.

If Rush has a "boring" record, I think it would be TFE. In TFE (the song) after the intro and buildup, when they go into that slow halftime verse the energy just seems to drop out of the song. TFE was the only Rush album I was ever dissapointed by, but I stuck with them and was happy with VT and happier now with S&A.

S&A is a very different Rush record. It is pretty dark and is also (IMO) a very complex and dense record. Give it some time to grow on you before giving up on it. Go back and listen to some older Rush and see if Snakes really sounds so bad in comparison. I was listening to PoW recently and couldn't believe how cheesy and synth/poppy it sounds in places. I think Snakes is really closer to Rush's FBN-MP period than the synth/pop albums.

dude, c'mon...this is a MUCH slower-tempo record compared to even CP and T4E. And Power Windows was wicked! As dated as it MAY sound, the songwriting aspect of it is pretty good and the beats were just faster...

This album, in terms of SONGWRITING, is alot more similar in MY OPINION to Presto and Roll the Bones. Kinda softer, more melodic, and not as fast.

It might be a bit of a stretch to say that theres so much enthusiasm since GUP...I think Counterparts was their strongest offering inbetween GUP and this--that was their statement that they're back to ROCK.

BTW I agree with you 100% on the T4E the SONG. I never thought of it that way, good point..

Archived