Is "Appetite For Destruction" The Greatest Hard

RUSHHEAD666

Sorry to beat a dead horse but man I am cranking my MSFL gold cd of "APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION" at the moment and this album NEVER GETS OLD!

Again I can't believe when I bought the cassette when the album first came out I listened to it once and hated it. I returned it to Rasputin's for 75% store credit.

Now in the year 2007 I think I own like 10 different versions of this "perfect" album."

So what if the chorus in "Paradise City" is overdone. I love green grass and pretty girls. Nothing wrong with that. Right? Even girls love green grass and pretty girls. wub.gif

That riff on "Sweet Child 'O Mine" has been played millions of times around the worlld but man that riff to me never gets old either.

I know it's impossible to pick one GREAT hard rock record but man "Appetite" would probably get a shitload of votes.

15 million units have been sold. Jesus, what if they did a killer remaster with a bonus track or two? It would sell millions more.

I would like to dedicate this thread to one of the most underrated drummers on the planet.

Yep. STEVEN ADLER.

Such a hard hitting drummer with some serious kick ass style.

Matt Sorum is and excellent timekeeper but let's face it, Matt lacks that mystical mojo man.

Too bad the drugs got to Steven.

I think that if Adler played the drums on "Use Your Illusion I and II" the records would have had a rawer sound. Less polished like Matt's skin smashing. JMO!

GNR RULED!!

CHEERS!

trink39.gif

I would definately agree that it is one of the best albums ever made!

Every song on there is great. I remember in the summer of 87 I was listening to a pirate heavy metal station in Dallas that played them before they hit the mainstream. I loved them from the first time I heard them. They started out playing Jungle & Think About You (which is one of my faves). It's funny, because they never played Think About You on mainstream or have they played it live in concert. After that they added Rocket Queen & My Michelle. My best friend got me the cassette for X-mas at the end of 1987. It was my favorite- I frickin wore it out!! I knew all the songs before they played it on mainstream. It was like a rocket that took off. Probably the freshest & rawest hard rock-EVER!! I love Axls voice- he was like no other

QUOTE (Batman @ Apr 18 2007, 09:09 AM)
No

Back in Black is.

goodpost.gif

Back In Black is unbelivably perfect.

I'd also give a nod to Metallica's 'Black Album'. This is an outstanding album whether you like Metallica or hate them.

Last I heard, it actually replaced Back In Black as the best-selling 'metal' album of all-time.

goodpost.gif

I agree. Although APPETITE is great, they do suck live.

I have seen them enough to realize this. However I never saw GNR with Buckethead. That bums me out.

As for "Back In Black" being perfect no way Jose. It is a great record but Brian Johnson sings on that record not Bon so sorry, it's not "perfect." Brian Johnson couldn't even carry Bon's jockstrap.

The "Black" Album by Metallica was the beginning of the end for me. As a matter of fact once Cliff Burton passed away the band was finished. JMO.

Come on. KILL EM ALL, RIDE THE LIGHTNING and MASTER OF PUPPETS destroy that commercial "DeRushed" album.

Corporate Crap.

But good for them, they got rich off of that record.

Let's not forget about "And Justice For All." An excellent record despite lacking in serious bass.

Have I been "Unforgiven" because of this post?? tongue.gif

While Appetite is great, it can't be the best hard rock album ever made. I agree with some of the Metallica albums listed, especially Master of Puppets. Classic.

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Apr 18 2007, 03:45 PM)
that honor goes to Queensryche "Operation:Mindcrime"

This is where you have to differentiate between "Hard Rock" and "Metal." GNR are the former, Queensryche are the latter.

I also don't consider Zeppelin to really be "hard rock" either.

you can equate the birth of G&R with that of the USA: the majority of the world [who mattered] couldn't give a f**k when they first came out.

those who loved them liked to drink alot of beer and sucked at guitar. oh yeah and they had bad hair and no lives no.gif.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Apr 18 2007, 06:59 PM)
you can equate the birth of G&R with that of the USA: the majority of the world [who mattered] couldn't give a f**k when they first came out.

those who loved them liked to drink alot of beer and sucked at guitar. oh yeah and they had bad hair and no lives no.gif.

Axl kinda had a cool voice.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 18 2007, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (rushman14 @ Apr 18 2007, 03:45 PM)
that honor goes to Queensryche "Operation:Mindcrime"

This is where you have to differentiate between "Hard Rock" and "Metal." GNR are the former, Queensryche are the latter.

I also don't consider Zeppelin to really be "hard rock" either.

clearly you don't consider Zeppelin metal do you?

They had some stuff that would be in that category, but their reach and influence went way beyond that...they had a lot of Middle Eastern experiments, some folk and blues, even some funk and reggae...they were an extremely diverse band, I think it's unfair to them to just call them "hard rock" or "heavy metal."

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 18 2007, 07:33 PM)
They had some stuff that would be in that category, but their reach and influence went way beyond that...they had a lot of Middle Eastern experiments, some folk and blues, even some funk and reggae...they were an extremely diverse band, I think it's unfair to them to just call them "hard rock" or "heavy metal."

Dude, Zeppelin is the orginal hard rock band! Sure they have some different songs, but every band does, even metal bands. I.E. "Plane Caravan" by Sabbath. "Patience" by GNR isn't hard rock song either, but GNR is a hard rock band.

I think you need to listen to "The Immigrant Song" again.