Worst art for great albums

Slime

Which albums of high and excellent musical quality were also the unfortunate owners of really BAD cover art?

Is there an album you'll just never forget except the album art which you suppress like a bad childhood memory?

Or are the best sounding albums also the best looking?

Discuss!

I won't say it's necessarily truly ugly, but Led Zeppelin III is really not good, and it certainly doesn't reflect the very acoustic nature of the album.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Apr 8 2007, 04:13 PM)
Led Zeppelin 3 and Presence are both exceptional albums

Well, yeah, but the cover of Zeppelin III is no good. And yet that's one of my fave Zeppelin albums.

In the end, I believe the band were not happy either. There had been some kind of miscommunication much like what happened with Caress of Steel and a major mistake was made.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 8 2007, 01:33 PM)

Well, yeah, but the cover of Zeppelin III is no good. And yet that's one of my fave Zeppelin albums.

In the end, I believe the band were not happy either. There had been some kind of miscommunication much like what happened with Caress of Steel and a major mistake was made.

I've never heard the band wasn't happy. Are you guys old enough to have owned Zep III on vinyl, where the cover actually had the spinning wheel in it? I thought it was great...though the best Zep cover is II. this is the cover art i was never too fond of:

http://www.cdpoint.com.br/imagens/075678252822.jpg

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Apr 8 2007, 03:42 PM)

I've never heard the band wasn't happy. Are you guys old enough to have owned Zep III on vinyl, where the cover actually had the spinning wheel in it? I thought it was great...though the best Zep cover is II. this is the cover art i was never too fond of:

You have to admit that the rest of the Counterparts packaging is cool though...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 8 2007, 02:34 PM)

Absolutely, the rest of the CP packaging is cool. I wish they would have used the hare sitting on top of the tortoise as the cover.

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Apr 8 2007, 04:38 PM)

Absolutely, the rest of the CP packaging is cool. I wish they would have used the hare sitting on top of the tortoise as the cover.

Yeah I wouldn't have chosen that as the cover, but it seems to be in the same spirit as the Hold Your Fire cover, with a "less is more" attitude...

Metallica (colloquially known as "The Black Album").

It's nothing, it's just.....black.

I love this album, but this is probably my least faviorate cover for a Pink Floyd album. The Final Cut, great music, not so great artwork

http://www.w-fenec.org/photos/2004/rock/pink_floyd_final_cut.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 8 2007, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (rushman14 @ Apr 8 2007, 04:38 PM)

Yeah I wouldn't have chosen that as the cover, but it seems to be in the same spirit as the Hold Your Fire cover, with a "less is more" attitude...

Ok I should've phrased that better, "Led Zeppelin 3" is my favorite Led Zep album other than "Physical Graffiti", but the cover art isn't so great on there. The wheel idea sounds ok, but If i remember correctly it was done better with PG. (I'm 17 and own no vinyl anything so I can't say much). I love the art to Counterparts it works well with the album, imo. Same with HYF not great as a piece of art, but in the context of the album works very well. Vapor Trails has some of my favorite art out of all of the Rush albums; the fireball and the card ideas are very neat, I chose VT over Signals simply due to the cover art when I first bought it.

QUOTE (Henri @ Apr 8 2007, 12:32 PM)
Yes - Going for the One

Just plain awful. comp26.gif

Even worse is Yes - 90125

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/Yes-90125.jpg

Boy, that is one butt-ugly album cover, even by cheesy early 80's graphics standards.

• Like 1

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 8 2007, 03:33 PM)

Jimmy Page said it didn't come out the way he intended at all, but it was too late to do anything about it. He said something about wanting it to look like one of those garden chart things "that tell you when to plant peas or whatever" but it came out, in his opinion, looking like a child's spinning whell or something. Too cartoony. (I think it's cute, though. I was lucky enough to find one of the old vinyl versions with the spinning wheel.)

Presence and In Through The Out Door are wonderful albums, but I didn't care much for the covers of either one. And REM has never had a decent album cover, although some of their albums (at least through Automatic For The People were quite good.

Edit - spinning WHEEL. Crap... comp26.gif

Edited by Maddy

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 8 2007, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (Henri @ Apr 8 2007, 12:32 PM)
Yes - Going for the One

Just plain awful. comp26.gif

Even worse is Yes - 90125

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/Yes-90125.jpg

Boy, that is one butt-ugly album cover, even by cheesy early 80's graphics standards.

I think either Big Generator or Talk is their worst album cover

In fact, some of the albums which had bad art were equally bad albums:

Cases in point of both the cover art and albums sucking bad:

Zee Identity (that album is the worst of all Pink Floyd solo efforts)

Nick Mason Profiles (boring album save A Lie For a Lie)

Billy Squier Signs of Life

Styx Cyclorama

Genesis Calling All Stations

Queensryche Q2K

KISS Hot In The Shade

Kansas Freaks of Nature

Judas Priest Jugulator

Iron Maiden Virtual XI

Metallica - Load, Reload and St Anger

Rolling Stones Dirty Work

Bruce Springsteen Seeger Sessions

Aerosmith - all 90s albums

Bad Company - Dangerous Age

Black Sabbath - Forbidden

Boston - Corporate America

Deep Purple Slaves and Masters

ELP In the Hot Seat

Yes Big Generator and Talk, all suck both the cover and music

For Rush, I'd have to say "Vapor Trails". A flying meatball does not inspire. The new one for Snakes and Arrows, unfortunately, doesn't either.

QUOTE (mfratt @ Apr 8 2007, 08:01 PM)
Dare I say The Beatles (aka The White Album)?

The extreme minimalist vibe was part of the point.

And I'll second Snakes & Arrows...even if I don't know if it's a great album yet, it probably will be, and the cover is quite lackluster by Rush's standard.

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Apr 9 2007, 12:38 AM)
Snakes And Arrows. I was hoping for the highway one instead of the board game.

we don't know if it's such a great album wink.gif YET