Which cover is worse?

Rushman14

Based on all the other brilliant Hugh Syme covers, I was always very disappointed with these two. I guess I would pick Counterparts as being the most boring. With HYF, they should have went with the guy juggling the fireballs and CP should have had the hare riding the tortise... IMHO.

QUOTE (Slime @ Mar 18 2007, 08:36 PM)
neither

both covers are cool

+1

I've always liked the HYF cover. The 12" vinyl version always looked pretty classy, imo, especially when you remove the inner sleeve and see the artwork inside. It loses all its impact in cd booklet form.

Probably helps that red is my favourite colour, too laugh.gif

Ach!

There's nothing wrong with either......are you serious?

I'm convinced there are some Rush fans who are becoming used to expecting way too much.

What's the prob? Both are good.

Someones forgetting the debut and vapor trails, now those are plain covers!

Minimalism, if used correctly, can be a great thing. "Counterparts" is very boring. I don't like that blue that was used.

"Hold Your Fire" is good, because of the brilliant red that was chosen. When I went to buy that album, the color stood out more than anything against all the other albums in the bin. Besides, I doubt anyone was expecting that kind of cover which made for a nice surprise.

Between both albums, color either made or broke what I would deem a good cover.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Mar 19 2007, 09:50 AM)
Ach!

There's nothing wrong with either......are you serious?

I'm convinced there are some Rush fans who are becoming used to expecting way too much.

yes I'm serious. You have a problem with my opinion? I'm convinced there are Rush fans who are way too sensitive to ANY criticism....and trust me, I'm the guy that defends every song in their catalog...except maybe Tai Shan. common001.gif

I like them both for much the same reason...the relative starkness and simplicity....the single color tone to each. They're very similar from a design approach. But simple is often quite good and effective.

CP always struck me a) as comical....and b ) sort of a take on a hieroglyphics. Two tool-like symbols used to reresent "union." There's something almost ancient about the notion.

HYF is just really cool. Even simpler. Even less symbolic in some ways, though the three definitely represent our "Holy Rush Trinity." But it's so vibrant I can't help but like it.

I prefer both of these to more literal pieces like Fly By Night or the abysmal first album cover. I'm not sure where I'd rank HYF and CP's covers...but I like them quite well.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 19 2007, 01:29 PM)
I like them both for much the same reason...the relative starkness and simplicity....the single color tone to each. They're very similar from a design approach. But simple is often quite good and effective.

CP always struck me a) as comical....and b ) sort of a take on a hieroglyphics. Two tool-like symbols used to reresent "union." There's something almost ancient about the notion.

HYF is just really cool. Even simpler. Even less symbolic in some ways, though the three definitely represent our "Holy Rush Trinity." But it's so vibrant I can't help but like it.

I prefer both of these to more literal pieces like Fly By Night or the abysmal first album cover. I'm not sure where I'd rank HYF and CP's covers...but I like them quite well.

goodpost.gif Although don't agree with 2.gif cover is bad. Perfect 70's cover,(the pepto bismol pink color scheme is 062802puke_prv.gif ,why didn't they just keep it like original Canadian release with the red?)

I never cared for FBN cover looked like it was done in a junior high art class.

The opposite of HYF "vibrant" is Grace Under Pressure cover ink and water color effect way to light with white background, and rather silly looked like it was just thrown together.

Archived