Early or Latter Day Zeppelin

The Owl

Early or Latter Day Zeppelin  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Early or Latter Day Zeppelin

• Early Day: Led Leppelin-Zoso (Led Zeppelin 4)
    • Latter Day: Houses of the Holy- Coda

QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 17 2007, 04:15 AM)
I couldn't vote, I love Zep. Overall I guess early Zep is better but then Physical Graffiti is my favourite Zep album confused13.gif

Ditto!

I also love In through the outdoor. I can't vote. I'm all over all of it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aaaaarrrrggghhh!!!!

It's too hard to say.... I tend to agree with music critics and historians who say that Four Symbols (Zoso) and Physical Graffiti were the most influential, so unfortunately that splits my vote.

confused13.gif

i like the early day's better

i'm in a Zep tribute band and we play alot of their old stuff

it rocks like no other

:yawn: Bonzo is over-rated. Page is sloppy. Plant is boring. John Paul Jones is even more boring.

When I looked them up on Wiki using Dogpile, they were listed exactly like this:

Led Zeppelin were an English rock band formed in 1968 and composed of guitarist Jimmy Page, vocalist Robert Plant, drummer John Bonham, and bass guitarist ...

Note: Emphasis mine.

Above link as it appears on Dogpile

My feelings, exactly.

IMO: Early years were more consistently great, but - oddly enough - my favorite LZ songs are from later years.

I also abstain.

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Mar 21 2007, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 17 2007, 04:15 AM)
I couldn't vote, I love Zep. Overall I guess early Zep is better but then Physical Graffiti is my favourite Zep album  confused13.gif

Ditto!

I also love In through the outdoor. I can't vote. I'm all over all of it.

Yeah, it's all so goood... love it all fairly equally. Good poll question, but i'm too close to it all to vote.

OMG that is impossible to choose!

Early stuff is alot different than the Latter material. Since you included Led Zeppelin 4 in Early I choose that. I think Led Zeppelin is the best album ever. One thing Earlier stuff has on Latter is that it is more bluesy which is a plus in my book!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 17 2007, 03:19 AM)
I love Led Zeppelin and I just thought I'd make this pole.

ouch, please don't pole us.

I prefer the latter. All bands take a while to find there voice. While I like the original more blues'based sound, Zep really started to find there voice on IV/Zoso. Of course, Physical Graffitti is their masterpiece. I remember the first time I heard this I was probably 9/10 and, even then, I knew it was special.

I like the first phase for more overall consistency. I still say their weakest two on the whole are In Through...and Presence, although I like both tremedously.

Actually my favorite block is III, (untitled), Houses, and PG. THAT'S quite a grouping.

Ouch my brain hurts wacko.gif

Very tough decision....I'd have to say Early by a hair because I don't think Presence and In Through the Out Door are quite at the same level as the six that came before them (which still means there better than most other albums), and taking Coda into consideration with the rest of the albums doesn't really help the argument for Latter Day Zep.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 23 2008, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 21 2008, 05:13 AM)
IMO (Here comes the flaming)

Achilles Last Stand > Stairway to Heaven

goodpost.gif

I prefer the Latter stages.

This is true and Achilles Last Stand is all the evidence that's needed to represent that but just in case...

Ten Years Gone

In The Light

Fool In The Rain

I'm Gonna Crawl

Say so too.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Apr 23 2008, 02:10 PM)
Latter. Presence is my favourite Zeppelin album, which I guess puts me in a minority. That album is consistent and incredible for an album that was recorded under such circumstances for the band.

Achilles Last Stand and Tea For One = Zeppelin's best opener and closer.

goodpost.gif

Hots on for Nowhere has amazing lyrics! and Royal Orleans is Zep humor that succeeds (unlike The Crunge... imo)

I love the early stuff about as much as the latter, Zep are excellent! yes.gif

Archived