Deep Purple!

mikeroach113

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2008, 03:58 PM)
Love Purple, with a particular fondness for the Coverdale/Hughes line up. We should see Stormbringer & Come Taste The Band re-released this year.
There's some great live CDs' doing the rounds, the best 2 are Live In London(Kilburn), and Live In Paris(La Derniere Seance).

I'd love remastered versions of Stormbringer and CTTB, I heard Glenn Hughes has been involved with the Stormbringer remaster and supposedly coming out in the spring...

Talking of Purple live albums I picked up a great Mark II (regrouped) Live in Stuttgart from 1993, definitely must be the best one from that era, interesting tracklisting too, four tracks from the unpopular The Battle Rages On, luckily they're the good tracks from that, also something that later turned up later on Ritchie's Rainbow album Stranger in us All...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5619/94fc8b5696d3f62b4c06b2fwj9.jpg

CD1:

1. Highway Star

2. Black Night

3. Talk About Love

4. Twist In The Tale

5. Perfect Strangers

6. Mule

7. Beethoven's Ninth

8. Knocking At Your Back Door

9. Anyone's Daugther

10. Child In Time

11. Anya

CD2:

1. Battle Rages On

2. Lazy

3. In The Hall Of The Mountain King

4. Space Truckin'

5. Woman From Tokyo

6. Paint It Black

7. Speed King

8. Hush

9. Smoke On The Water

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Blackmore's style. Perfect Strangers is one of my all time favorite albums.

And how about "Woman From Tokyo"? I love that tune.

I love Deep Purple but as far as I'm conerned they have always been a classic rock band, nothing metal about them whatsoever. I saw the Ian Gillan Band a few times at the Apollo in the 80s (Glory Road and Trouble tours) but only finally got to see Deep Purple about year and a half ago. superb concert and Steve Morse was amazing. Favourite Purple songs Pictures of Home, When a Blind Man Cries. Knocking at your Back Dor,Sweet Child inTime (which used to be my Ebay ID biggrin.gif .) Seeing them in November again, canny wait. Edited by Xanadu Princess

DP, has always been a fine rock band. But I personally believe they had their peak back in the early 70s with Glover,Gillan & Blackmore, Paice & Lord

Classic songs such as "Smoke on the water", "Child in Time", "Strange Kind of Woman", and "Woman from Tokyo" still feel fresh even now.

Great days: great music

QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Sep 19 2009, 03:21 AM)
I love Deep Purple but as far as I'm conerned they have always been a classic rock band, nothing metal about them whatsoever.

Early on some of their music was straight ahead rock with some psychedelic and some proto-prog elements, and and they had a lot of progressive elements in their music in the 70's as well, even though they weren't really prog rock by the usual definitions.

They also weren't metal, even though a lot of heavy metal fans loved them (similar to Rush in that regards).

Deep Purple was a hard rock band. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Just heard Sweet Child in Time on the radio about 10 minutes ago - what a cracker of a song. I know its called Child in Time but I always called it Sweet Child in Time biggrin.gif - Gillan definitely one of my alltime fav singers.

Truly special band, not given enough credit. Too many press inches wasted on Ritchie acting the bollocks and that song.

Even in the pre-Gillan/Glover days they were releasing great albums, as Goob stated earlier in the thread.

All of their albums are worth owning up to and including Come Taste The Band. Most of the stuff from 84 onwards is pretty good too, Slaves & Masters is piss poor though.

And I'm seeing Jon Lord and the RTE Concert Orchestra play Concerto for Group and Orchestra on Thursday night!!!!!

Woo, and indeed, hoo.

I really don't like that song at all now - it bores me rigid these days - but have to say when they played when I saw them last year, the whole place erupted and went mental - and I like it then smile.gif

PS And I just know its gonny come on the radio within the next 30 mins cos I'm talking aboot it.

biggrin.gif o.k so my house is on fire,what do i save?

my vinyl copy of made in japan

my wife and kids

the dog

deep purple,where to start b_sigh.gif

cosmo.gif come taste the band,they dont come bigger or better (bar none)

QUOTE (tel @ Sep 19 2009, 06:10 PM)
biggrin.gif o.k so my house is on fire,what do i save?
my vinyl copy of made in japan
my wife and kids
the dog

deep purple,where to start b_sigh.gif

cosmo.gif come taste the band,they dont come bigger or better (bar none)

Already got my tickets for their NEC:Birmingham gig 13th November.

I'm counting the days because its been years since I last saw the guys live 1022.gif

QUOTE (Margana @ Sep 19 2009, 08:00 PM)
I have always been a fan of Deep Purple and Rainbow.
Preferred the 70's line up and albums.
Always thought that Ian Paice was greatly underrated as a drummer.
Listen to the drumming on Burn as an example.

Paice was amazing back in the 70s... still is in fact.

And you're right: he never got the recognition he so definitely deserved

QUOTE (Margana @ Sep 19 2009, 02:00 PM)
I have always been a fan of Deep Purple and Rainbow.
Preferred the 70's line up and albums.
Listen to the drumming on Burn as an example.

i agree,great drummer but "the mule" not exactly his finest moment is it? no.gif

QUOTE (Margana @ Sep 19 2009, 02:00 PM)

very, very much so. I also thought he blew away people like Bonham and Moon[as much as i love moon] but they were more famous than Ian so i understand

Jesus H, they were fabulous last week in Cork, Glover in particluar.

Anyhow, my 4 year old has decided his favourite song of all time is Smoke On The Water by Deep Hippo. No amount of badgering or bribery will make him say Purple. Kids are a hoot.

"Deep Hippo" laugh.gif Brilliant! I believe all kids should be taught how to play Smoke on the Water at a young age lol, start 'em early!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 1 2009, 04:17 AM)
The intros to Fireball & Pictures of Home. Say no more.

Absolutely. And the outro to 'Flight of the Rat'. With the possible exceptions of Palmer and Peart, no other rock drummer could make a drum solo as exciting or as interesting as Ian.

Deep Purple were obviously a progressive rock band.

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (mikeroach113 @ Jan 27 2007, 02:09 AM)
i'd like to check out that album Ian Gillan did with Black Sabbath (1983's Born Again).

I saw Sabbath on that tour with Ian Gillan on 11.11.83 with Quiet Riot. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 4 2010, 04:18 PM)
Jesus H, they were fabulous last week in Cork, Glover in particluar.

Anyhow, my 4 year old has decided his favourite song of all time is Smoke On The Water by Deep Hippo. No amount of badgering or bribery will make him say Purple. Kids are a hoot.

haha! when i was about 5 i used to play the "smoke on the water" 45 (on a record player) for hours at a time. i remember loving that song so much. drove my family nuts. old.gif