Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

Apparently the volume swells in By-Tor and the Snow Dog from ATWAS were over-dubbed in the studio.

If one listens very closely you can hear the original guitar ghosting through the other stage mics. Almost sounds like two guitars at various points. (Thanks JARG !)

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 26 2006, 08:02 AM)
Ok ralentor. It took me a while, but I finally took a hard listen to Losing It to catch that keyboard switchover. Found out I didn't really need to listen very hard, just be aware of it. And then I realized that I sort of always was aware of it. laugh.gif

You bring up something that's always been a strongpoint to me, and that is in the way they've traded off the melody from one instrument to another like that. It's been done in many other songs in the same manner it's been done here in Losing It. And when I've been lucky enought to catch it, it's always a highlight to me. A good standout example (for those who aren't getting it) can be found in Tom Sawyer when it's heading into the solo. Listen to the keyboard melody that begins at 1:33 then is accompanied by Alex at 1:52. Then Geddy takes the melody on base so Alex can play the solo. It all reconverges again at the end of the solo. For me, I like ralentor's more subtle and hidden find in Losing It. Listen around the other songs for more tradeoffs like that. They kick ass!!!!!!

Excellent, dude. C'mon - I'm up for more!!

Yes, that short keyboard melody in Losing It isn't very hard to hear, but it tends to be drowned out by the power chords and cymbal crashes to the point that it is overlooked by the casual listener.

While I was listening for the melody trade-off you mentioned in Tom Sawyer, I discovered a high-pitched, discordant note behind Geddy's voice beginning at 1:22 (at the same time that Geddy sings "wide"), and ending a second later at 1:23 (just as Geddy finishes singing "wide"). Since it's off-key, I don't think it's an intentional sound. Maybe it's caused by feedback from his mic.

QUOTE (ralentor @ May 26 2006, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ May 26 2006, 08:02 AM)
Ok ralentor.  It took me a while, but I finally took a hard listen to Losing It to catch that keyboard switchover.  Found out I didn't really need to listen very hard, just be aware of it.  And then I realized that I sort of always was aware of it.  laugh.gif

You bring up something that's always been a strongpoint to me, and that is in the way they've traded off the melody from one instrument to another like that.  It's been done in many other songs in the same manner it's been done here in Losing It.  And when I've been lucky enought to catch it, it's always a highlight to me.  A good standout example (for those who aren't getting it) can be found in Tom Sawyer when it's heading into the solo.  Listen to the keyboard melody that begins at 1:33 then is accompanied by Alex at 1:52.  Then Geddy takes the melody on base so Alex can play the solo.  It all reconverges again at the end of the solo.  For me, I like ralentor's more subtle and hidden find in Losing It.  Listen around the other songs for more tradeoffs like that.  They kick ass!!!!!!

Excellent, dude.  C'mon - I'm up for more!!

Yes, that short keyboard melody in Losing It isn't very hard to hear, but it tends to be drowned out by the power chords and cymbal crashes to the point that it is overlooked by the casual listener.

While I was listening for the melody trade-off you mentioned in Tom Sawyer, I discovered a high-pitched, discordant note behind Geddy's voice beginning at 1:22 (at the same time that Geddy sings "wide"), and ending a second later at 1:23 (just as Geddy finishes singing "wide"). Since it's off-key, I don't think it's an intentional sound. Maybe it's caused by feedback from his mic.

I'm not hearing it. I've got it on now with pc speakers and a subwoofer. Been over and over it about 15 times, now. laugh.gif I'll have to give it another shot with headphones or maybe in the car.

But something happened while I was trying to catch that off key sound. I got totally sucked in to the familiar sound this song had from back when I first heard it at age 12. Holy crap you may as well have put me in front of a Defender video game console. What a trip.

QUOTE (ralentor @ May 26 2006, 03:42 PM)
I'm listening through Shure E4c in-ear monitors on my Zen Xtra, and it's definitely there. I suppose it could be an MP3 artifact, but I don't think so. This is most likely a "headphone only" sound.

I've got the same player, but use the earbud headphones that came with it.

I'll try it on that now.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 26 2006, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (ralentor @ May 26 2006, 03:42 PM)
I'm listening through Shure E4c in-ear monitors on my Zen Xtra, and it's definitely there.  I suppose it could be an MP3 artifact, but I don't think so.  This is most likely a "headphone only" sound.

I've got the same player, but use the earbud headphones that came with it.

I'll try it on that now.

cool.gif That did the trick. I heard it. I had to do it a few times to separate the cymbal crash from the normal keyboard sound effect that plays throughout. But it's there.

It's a chirping sort of cricket sound. Kind of reminded me of what you'd hear in Edgar Winter's Frankenstein, sort of.

Is that it?

That's it! What is that?

Dude...dude, dude, dude. You must ditch the buds that came with the Xtra and replace them with something that wil do justice to Rush's recordings. For a very inexpensive but major improvement, I recommend the Koss KSC75 clip-on phones. At only $11.75 at Amazon, you will be kicking yourself for not upgrading sooner.

Edited by ralentor

QUOTE (ralentor @ May 26 2006, 03:55 PM)
That's it! What is that?

Dude...dude, dude, dude. You must ditch the buds that came with the Xtra and replace them with something that wil do justice to Rush's recordings. For a very inexpensive but major improvement, I recommend the Koss KSC75 clip-on phones. At only $11.75 at Amazon, you will be kicking yourself for not upgrading sooner.

I don't know what that sound is - but for 25 years I've never heard it before. How awesome is that?? It thickens up the moment quite nicely. I wonder if it's used elsewhere in the song to give extra kick.

Ok so you recommend the Koss KSC75 clip-on phones? What are the ones you are using? Talk to me. It makes that big a difference, eh?

Definitely going to look into it.

Egads, dude. I just looked up the Shure E4c and saw $300 plus. Is that for real? I gotta get me another job... or sell some of my kids.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 26 2006, 02:01 PM)
Ok so you recommend the Koss KSC75 clip-on phones?  What are the ones you are using?  Talk to me.  It makes that big a difference, eh?

Huge difference, actually. Like night-and-day difference. It's that dramatic. I can't even stand to listen to the stock earbuds that came with my Xtra now.

I'm using the Shure E4c IEMs, and yes, they are expensive. But you can find them for much less than $300. In fact, at Todd the Vinyl Junkie's site (www.ttvj.com), you can get the following price by requesting an e-mail quote:

Thanks for choosing Todd The Vinyl Junkie.

On Fri May 26 14:17:04 MDT 2006 you requested our best price on the 'Shure E4c'.

Our best price is: $189.00

The definitive site for headphone freaks is www.head-fi.org. But don't start hanging out there, or your wallet will be much thinner! There are great headphones in all price ranges, but I suggest you start on the inexpensive side, and that's why I recommended the Koss KSC75.

Edited by ralentor

For just a few bucks - I'll definitely pick up the Koss headphones.

Thanks, dude.

I think you'll like them. I don't own the KSC75, but I do own the earlier KSC50, which are very similar. In fact, they share the same drivers.

Be aware that these phones are very "open", meaning others will be able to hear what you're listening to quite clearly. And they are not all that durable, so I recommend keeping them in a small jewelry bag or even a plastic baggie to provide some protection from getting carried around. (I carry my Xtra, my portable headphone amp, and the E4c's in an old Case Logic portable CD player bag that I had lying around for my old Sony Discman that no longer works.)

Koss provides a lifetime warranty on all their phones, so no need to worry if the KSC75's break.

Edited by ralentor

Another favorite musical moment is Alex's flub near the beginning of Closer To The Heart (studio version). The intro is played on a 12 string and Alex accidentially strikes the same note twice during the intro.

There a ton that I can't remember but I will....

Scars: The Djembe sound Neil uses & the way he uses it. It's very subtle but when you watch that part in his solos.....I like the subtlety of Ged's bass line that mirrors (or vice versa) the drum part....

Mystic Rhythms: the drum sounds he uses in that (akin to scars).

Most songs: Lerxst's way of weaving in & out of the songs sort of flying above the song...hovering & waiting to pounce on it with his solo. It was these nuances that always made Rush my favorite band. There were so many evenness in the band's writing that always got me.

Know what I love so much? The last time (I think) Geddy sings "one moment's high" towards the end of Marathon..after it's already gone up an octive. He sort of wails it out but its so crisp and clear and echo-ey...and triumphant. Do you know the part I mean? This really puts the icing on the cake for that song for me. I always point it out if anyone's around while I'm listening to it.

--Same Old Me

trink38.gif <----Sam Adams

Edited by Same Old Me

Of course every song has at least one killer moment, but I'll mention a recent one. The parts in Freeze just before Geddy sings "blood running cold" where the music just seems to open up like the storm clouds parting. On an album that is very dense and muddy, this part always stood out for me, it's like getting a breath of fresh air. Suffice it to say, it is damn near spiritual sounding.

QUOTE (JARG @ May 26 2006, 04:58 PM)
Another favorite musical moment is Alex's flub near the beginning of Closer To The Heart (studio version). The intro is played on a 12 string and Alex accidentially strikes the same note twice during the intro.

Fer shame, Alex doesn`t make mistakes ! Your ear-needle just skipped !

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Planet X-1 @ Jun 1 2006, 05:26 AM)
QUOTE (JARG @ May 26 2006, 04:58 PM)

Fer shame, Alex doesn`t make mistakes ! Your ear-needle just skipped !

biggrin.gif

rofl3.gif