Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

If you like unique cymbal sounds, don't mean to get off subject of Rush, but Bill Bruford used a cymbal he found mangled in the trash on King Crimson's Red album which sounds totally bad@ss. Song is "one more red nightmare".

Well, I was really little, my Dad would play rush in the car all the time, and i'd hear Xanadu, had no idea who it is, and just listened (this is also when i thought Geddy said "Fishies in the Ocean" during the "concert hall" part of "Spirit of Radio", and i'd laugh). A coupla' years ago i got hooked on Rush and i start listening to all the albums. So i decide Geddy's voice sounds sorta' like the old song I remember hearing in the car (Xanadu) so I decide to go looking for the song. I come across AFTK and listen to Xanadu, and i'm like "oh my god, its the song i've been trying to find for so many years!" i only recognized it from the synthy part where it goes into the "decreed by Kubla Khan" part, that was the only part I ever remebered. And that's why Xanadu is my favorite song. It just gave me an enlightening feeling inside, the entire song does.

Wow, no one will be able to follow this.

Oh, and a few others:

Red Sector A: I feel like i'm at one of the camps being tortured, the song's message instantly hit me. Things like this actually happened in the world.

The Necromancer: I like the eerie guitar just before the singing. I also like the part where it seems like they end the second part, but goes into that scratchy noise, then it rocks again, which is my personal favorite part. Scratchy noise is at approx. 7:01 (thank god for iPods, might have been on a half second), and continues for a few seconds, until the rocking part comes, that continues for a few minutes until the third over voice. The third part, the guitar during, and after the over voice, and a bit before, just gets me in a good mood (as you can tell, i'm listening to it now).

Lets see if anybody can make out a word of this.

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Mar 23 2006, 08:00 AM)
If you like unique cymbal sounds, don't mean to get off subject of Rush, but Bill Bruford used a cymbal he found mangled in the trash on King Crimson's Red album which sounds totally bad@ss. Song is "one more red nightmare".

That's cool about Bruford's cymbal. Actually, Geddy did the same thing for the bass sound he uses for Animate on Counterparts. I remember the rockline interview from way back then where he said they found this trashed amp in the dumpster and plugged it in to get a really raw sound. It worked!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 21 2006, 09:00 AM)
Ok, I've got a few I'd like to share.  One of them being a challenge, so make sure you keep reading.  Let's get started:

First - the Hold Your Fire version of Mission.  Check it out at the 0.20 mark exactly when Geddy is singing "Is a dream".  Do you hear it?  What's that rumble in the background?

Second - I've been JAMMING to the live stuff from DS, RIR, and R30.  You must listen to Subdivisions from R30, and check out the way Geddy sings the word "Bars" from the line "In the basement bars" during the 2nd chorus.  Exactly at 3:48.  The way his voice quivers and drops is just f'ing awesome.  I love it.  653.gif  cool.gif

Third - Listen to the Different Stages version of Animate.  Start it from the beginning and listen all the way through.  You must do this because the song is so friggin kick ass awesome and pumps so much adrenaline though my system that I'm going out of my mind when the song hits those final notes.  Now... with all that excitement and energy surging through me - I have to hear this idiot standing on my left (you can hear him throughout most of the DS recording).  At 6:23/6:24... omg is that lamest 'wooo' you ever heard in your life?  Somebody kick that guy in the ass and tell him to wake the f up.  I'd do it, but he's too far over.

Finally - ok here is the challenge... Check out the Different Stages version of Stick It Out.  I think it's the same guy on my left from Animate.  Apparently he finally woke up for the 2nd half of the show, or maybe he just likes this song better than Animate with the exuberant "Yeah" he gives at 4:26.  We'll never know.  Anyway, listen to this other guy at 4:37.  It's really hard to make out, but can anyone figure out what that guy yells out?  This is not a contest for I have no idea, myself.  We may never get to a definitive answer, but I'd love to hear some thoughts.  Don't let this go by.  If you've read this, you're a part of it now and must respond.  I do apologize for impacting your life like this and putting you to work, but what must be done... must be done.  What say you?

1 - can't hear it confused13.gif

2 - yes.gif

3 - rofl3.gif

4 - I have no idea what he's shouting, but YOU are making me LMAO with your observations! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 23 2006, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 21 2006, 09:00 AM)
Ok, I've got a few I'd like to share.  One of them being a challenge, so make sure you keep reading.  Let's get started:

First - the Hold Your Fire version of Mission.  Check it out at the 0.20 mark exactly when Geddy is singing "Is a dream".  Do you hear it?  What's that rumble in the background?

Second - I've been JAMMING to the live stuff from DS, RIR, and R30.  You must listen to Subdivisions from R30, and check out the way Geddy sings the word "Bars" from the line "In the basement bars" during the 2nd chorus.  Exactly at 3:48.  The way his voice quivers and drops is just f'ing awesome.  I love it.  653.gif  cool.gif

Third - Listen to the Different Stages version of Animate.  Start it from the beginning and listen all the way through.  You must do this because the song is so friggin kick ass awesome and pumps so much adrenaline though my system that I'm going out of my mind when the song hits those final notes.  Now... with all that excitement and energy surging through me - I have to hear this idiot standing on my left (you can hear him throughout most of the DS recording).  At 6:23/6:24... omg is that lamest 'wooo' you ever heard in your life?  Somebody kick that guy in the ass and tell him to wake the f up.  I'd do it, but he's too far over.

Finally - ok here is the challenge... Check out the Different Stages version of Stick It Out.  I think it's the same guy on my left from Animate.  Apparently he finally woke up for the 2nd half of the show, or maybe he just likes this song better than Animate with the exuberant "Yeah" he gives at 4:26.  We'll never know.  Anyway, listen to this other guy at 4:37.  It's really hard to make out, but can anyone figure out what that guy yells out?  This is not a contest for I have no idea, myself.  We may never get to a definitive answer, but I'd love to hear some thoughts.  Don't let this go by.  If you've read this, you're a part of it now and must respond.  I do apologize for impacting your life like this and putting you to work, but what must be done... must be done.  What say you?

1 - can't hear it confused13.gif

2 - yes.gif

3 - rofl3.gif

4 - I have no idea what he's shouting, but YOU are making me LMAO with your observations! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

laugh.gif Too funny.

HEY - keep trying on the Mission thing. It's there. Listen behind the vocal, and there's this rolling rumble that lasts a second at most. But it's there.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 23 2006, 11:58 PM)
Oh yeah...i clocked one today on GUP.  Enemy Within at 4:01...listen for Neil.  smile.gif

Oh you get a gold star for this one. That's just f'ing awesome!! Loved the cowbell thing happening there.

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

http://www.biol.andrews.edu/BIO/gif/gold.star.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 24 2006, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 23 2006, 11:58 PM)
Oh yeah...i clocked one today on GUP.  Enemy Within at 4:01...listen for Neil.  smile.gif

Oh you get a gold star for this one. That's just f'ing awesome!! Loved the cowbell thing happening there.

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

http://www.biol.andrews.edu/BIO/gif/gold.star.gif

http://usera.imagecave.com/RolindaBonz/woot.gif

QUOTE (digitalman30 @ Mar 25 2006, 07:06 PM)
YYZ, the use of flying plates breaking against a wall during the keyboard section was pure genius!

I don't think they did that. I believe I heard somewhere, (I think on a thread here somewhere) that Neil tied wind chimes to a 2x4 and smacked it against plywood?

confused13.gif Not sure on that one.

i like the beginning of red barchetta, geddys bass entrance is sweet, and of course his bass in la villa strangiato. so many more...

QUOTE (BassUnderPressure @ Mar 28 2006, 08:11 AM)
Neil's drum fill just before the second verse in open Secrets. Wow

cool.gif cool.gif

NICE!!

Jacob's Ladder, 5:50...Neil does what is, IMHO, one of his very best fills; heavy right hand on the toms/light left hand on the snare, then heavy left hand on an opening hat/light right hand on the snare...

QUOTE (Ivan Rorick @ Mar 30 2006, 11:48 PM)
Listening to "Spirit of the Radio" for the twentieth times after you guys helped me track it down. This is all so new to me. biggrin.gif

Glad you like it! The correct title is however: "The Spirit Of Radio". You are embarking on a new and exciting journey my friend. 2.gif is one of the greatest musical experiences you will ever have in your lifetime.

QUOTE (Ivan Rorick @ Mar 31 2006, 12:48 AM)
Listening to "Spirit of the Radio" for the twentieth times after you guys helped me track it down. This is all so new to me. biggrin.gif

Welcome to TRF - and welcome to 2.gif

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (sdpatton @ Mar 30 2006, 11:45 PM)
Jacob's Ladder, 5:50...Neil does what is, IMHO, one of his very best fills; heavy right hand on the toms/light left hand on the snare, then heavy left hand on an opening hat/light right hand on the snare...

I f'ing LOVE that fill. Nice addition, here. Thanks!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nocturne - Right at the very end, there's this eerie, Robotic

voice saying "help me". It's very faint and buried under the general mush of VTs production, but it's there nonetheless

Bacchus Plateau - The solo in which lerxt guitar replicates a flute - one can almost picture a drunken Pan capering through the vine groves, pipes in hand.

In "Hemispheres" during Cygnus - The Roland Guitar synth which is made to swell gradually by Lerxts deft application of a volume pedal.

Before and After - During the gorgeous, lightly distorted arpeggiation towards the end of the build up, there is a faint overdub which onlyu occurs once, and counterpoints the melody nicely

Vital Signs - The way that geddys bassline replicates the vibrating synth sample.

This may have already been mentioned, but just in case...

There's a lot of little cool things played by Alex in the intro to The Camera Eye. Two of these that the casual listener might miss are:

1. At 1:00 (according to my MP3 player), Alex hits a note and then a quick, muted harmonic at 1:01 together with a light snare tap from Neil. This harmonic echoes for a few seconds and slowly fades into the gurgling keyboards.

2. Shortly after that at 1:07 through 1:08, Alex slides his pick gently down the guitar strings for a really cool background effect. This tends to be overshadowed by Neil's rolling snare here, so listen closely with headphones.

QUOTE (ralentor @ Apr 24 2006, 08:30 PM)

There's a lot of little cool things played by Alex in the intro to The Camera Eye. Two of these that the casual listener might miss are:

1. At 1:00 (according to my MP3 player), Alex hits a note and then a quick, muted harmonic at 1:01 together with a light snare tap from Neil. This harmonic echoes for a few seconds and slowly fades into the gurgling keyboards.

2. Shortly after that at 1:07 through 1:08, Alex slides his pick gently down the guitar strings for a really cool background effect. This tends to be overshadowed by Neil's rolling snare here, so listen closely with headphones.

Welcome to TRF, Ralentor. And what a kick ass first post. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'll check these out - I look forward to it.

The guitar segue into Geddy's vocals at the end of Alex's solo in "The Pass" is so wonderful.

The keyboard and guitar duo on "Red Sector A" is just amazing in general.

The intro to "The Spirit of Radio".

QUOTE (ralentor @ Apr 24 2006, 08:30 PM)

OK - with how many times I've listened to this song since I was 12, I've never picked up the sounds as you've described them... until just now.

DAMN - I mean this hits right at the core of why this thread was created. I will ALWAYS hear it this way from now on.

There have been MANY entries that have turned my ears on to something that never was there before, yet now jump right out everytime I listen. This thread is awesome for that reason.

Keep em coming, ralentor. If you picked those up in TCE... I know you've got more.

Thanks for the kind words, paganoman. I'm glad you liked those two hidden gems. I'm always looking for little details buried in Rush songs, so I'll try to find some more for you.

Since I got my Zen Xtra MP3 player and some Shure E4c in-ear monitors, I've rediscovered Rush in a big way and purchased several of the remasters including AFTK, Permanent Waves, MP, Signals, GUP, PoW, & Counterparts. I still need to grab remasters for FBN, CoS, 2112, Hemispheres, RTB, and TFE. I also don't have the remasters for Presto or HYF, but since those albums aren't my favorites and I already own the original CDs, I may not bother.

I also picked up VT a few months ago, and while I love the music, the digital distortion made it unlistenable. I couldn't believe how bad it was, especially considering this was a Rush CD. Luckily, MitA sent me his remasters (the original remaster and his EQ'd remaster) which are both very clean. I prefer his EQ'd remaster as it reins in the bass a little, bringing out the subtle details of VT that can't be distinguished otherwise.