Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

Ok, here's another one for you, paganoman, this time hidden in the background of Witch Hunt. At 2:04, right before Geddy sings the line Quiet in conscience, calm in their right, there is a brief percussive sound that is hard to describe, but it sounds sorta like a stick being dragged across a picket fence. I might've thought it was just an unintentional sound that somehow crept into the recording, but it happens again right after Neil hits the low toms twice at 2:12. Anybody know what this sound is? Edited by ralentor

QUOTE (ralentor @ Apr 26 2006, 08:11 PM)
Ok, here's another one for you, paganoman, this time hidden in the background of Witch Hunt.  At 2:04, right before Geddy sings the line Quiet in conscience, calm in their right, there is a brief percussive sound that is hard to describe, but it sounds sorta like a stick being dragged across a picket fence.  I might've thought it was just an unintentional sound that somehow crept into the recording, but it happens again right after Neil hits the low toms twice at 2:12.  Anybody know what this sound is?

I don't know where you came from ralentor, but I'm your new biggest fan. laugh.gif

I can't f'ing believe I never heard that rattle in Witch Hunt. It's wild!!

This is what I'm talking about, people. I hope there are others checking these out. You'll be just as stoked as I am. 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

OH - and trink39.gif to a fellow Zen Xtra owner. A 40GB owner, right here. cool.gif

http://www.comparemp3.com/images/large/creative-nomad-jukebox-zen-xtra.jpg

I think Neil may have used a guiro to make that scraping sound in Witch Hunt, as seen here. This is just an educated guess, of course. Maybe someone with more knowledge will enlighten us.

And thanks for your compliments. It's nice to have found someone else who appreciates the little details in Rush songs, especially since my wife can't stand their music at all.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 27 2006, 03:26 PM)

I can't f'ing believe I never heard that rattle in Witch Hunt. It's wild!!

I just heard it ohmy.gif

how did WE miss that?? confused13.gif

I was listening to "Big Money" earlier and had a realization. During the solo part of the song, you all know that Geddy hits a key or two on the synth that is a high key. On the video he does a mock drum roll with his fingers and then hits the key. I got to thinking after hearing it and wondered if the sound is supposed to be like the sound of a coin when it hits a surface. It's a metallic sound.

Know what I'm talking about?

I like the sound of Neil closing his hi-hat at the very end of Passage To Bangkok...it's the last thing you hear during the fade-out...nice quiet little "snap".

On All the World's A Stage, at the point when the soft, opening music transitions into the heavy, loud second half of the song....right after Alex plays the first two or three loud chords, Neil hits the high hat just once...it's something he doesn't do on the recorded version of the song. I LOVE the way it sounds. A perfect syncopated off-beat.

hey welcome to TRF - I'm seeing a lot of fresh names here. Too cool.

653.gif

I'm going to check some of these out. Thanks!

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 7 2006, 09:45 PM)
I just realized that an organ comes in on "Red Tide" under the repeated line, "Let us not go gently into the endless winter night." Cool!

Yeah I know what you mean, there. The keyboard swells the emotion of the music. It's an awesome moment. :ebert?

QUOTE (ralentor @ May 3 2006, 07:49 PM)
I have another hidden sound some may have overlooked.  In Losing It, at 4:11, right after the guitar switches from the main melody to power chords, a keyboard can be heard that continues the same melody the guitar was previously playing.  It quickly fades into the background, playing the melody until 4:15.

Lovin' it!!!! I'd never noticed that!!!

Here're a couple of nice echo treatments.

First, in Leave That Thing Alone they keep this song working until the end by putting an extra echo effect on the Alex penultimate guitar phrase at 3:42, and you're hearing the high tone that comes off the guitar on the last phrase at 3:55...

Second, I love the echo treatments in Territories. In the first verse Geddy's voice has a srong left/right echo at 0:52. 0:059, 1:03, 1:07, (slightly less at 1:09 due to the way he sings probably) and 1:15.

Compare this to the dry treatment of the voice during the bridge at 1:34

The echo then steps up just slightly (more a reverb) for the chorus before a dry verse.

I love all this subtle production stuff...

Love

Disco

Edited by Disco

I am deeply in love with the Hammond interludes in Roll the Bones (between the verse and the bridge). It's just two notes but I love them. They sometimes make my day, really. I love the Hammond sound, it's so warm and unique. Even if probably it's a sample here.

Another great great moment is the rithmic keyboard texture in Grand Design and Middletown Dreams. I can hear those really fast notes carrying the song, literally, from one mood to another. They sound like crazy sparks to me, little explosions of colours...

Oh, and another great great moment is the beginning of the second verse of Red Barchetta: Geddy's voice sounds invincible there... It's dangerous if I listen to that song when I'm driving... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Neat thread, although I`ll have re-read most of it !

Neil`s cowbell during the solo to Alien Shore...(thanks MITA!)

and Out of the Cradle during the song* there is a single note/wah/flange overdub sound that reminds me of fire flies...no idea why wacko.gif

"Surge of energy, spark of inspiration

The breath of love is electricity" (wah/wah/ooo fire flies !)

QUOTE (Planet X-1 @ May 26 2006, 01:06 PM)
Neil`s cowbell during the solo to Alien Shore...(thanks MITA!)

I've always loved that cowbell part at 3:49. Nice touch!!

Another awesome sound during that song is this high pitched block hit from Neil that happens after the solo during the final verse. It happens twice. The first time is just after Geddy sings "Building bridges on the ocean floor" at 4:32. It happens along with the snare hit. The 2nd time is more pronounced at 4:39.

and btw - while I was checking out the cowbell sound just now, I heard all this growling type effects in the background of the solo, and can also hear Geddy saying stuff. Did MITA bring that out, too? What is he saying??? COOL!!

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 26 2006, 01:20 PM)
and btw - while I was checking out the cowbell sound just now, I heard all this growling type effects in the background of the solo, and can also hear Geddy saying stuff.  Did MITA bring that out, too?  What is he saying???  COOL!!

FOUND IT!! I could clearly hear 'it slowly engulfs', but after that I still have no idea what he's saying.

Aw that's WILD!! MITA's the best!!

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...wly-engulfs.mp3

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 26 2006, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ May 26 2006, 01:20 PM)
and btw - while I was checking out the cowbell sound just now, I heard all this growling type effects in the background of the solo, and can also hear Geddy saying stuff.  Did MITA bring that out, too?  What is he saying???  COOL!!

FOUND IT!! I could clearly hear 'it slowly engulfs', but after that I still have no idea what he's saying.

Aw that's WILD!! MITA's the best!!

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...wly-engulfs.mp3

wink.gif

MiTA has some tres cool stuff :thumsup:

2.gif