Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

Here's one...

Marathon, live from A Show Of Hands. Listen to Alex's guitar during the very last chord that ends the song. The keyboard sustains for an extended time.... but listen to how Alex grinds the chord to a halt. I don't play guitar so I have no idea what I'm saying - all I know is that is sounds intense. 1022.gif

QUOTE (lakeside bard @ Mar 3 2006, 04:38 AM)
background synth on the first part of Heresy,quite nice.outstanding if you listen very hard

Nice one! I've always loved that. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 28 2006, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 28 2006, 07:49 PM)
The Fountain Of Lamneth Crunch

This is interesting, and I wonder what it could be.  There is this crunching sound, sort of like someone stepping on gravel.  The good news is, you don't have to go 14 minutes into the song to hear it.  It's at the very beginning during Alex's acoustic intro.  Listen exactly at 0.19 seconds.  It's clearly there.

Let me know if you hear it too.  smile.gif

Now I've got an excuse to break out COS! It's been a while!

Hey - did anyone hear this? Test for echo...

Wouldn't you know that COS is the only Rush album I don't own yet on CD. I wonder if it's on the vinyl or tape version?

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Apr 7 2005, 10:50 PM)
Vapor Trails -* The in-your-face-ending to Ghost Rider. Every time I hear it I wanna shout "F*ck Yea!"

Was just reading through the pages of this thread. DAMN there is so much great stuff tucked into these pages. Anyway, I came across this post, and had to quote this part of it.

DUUUUDE... ME TOO!! 653.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 30 2005, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 16 2005, 01:24 PM)
Ok you have to check out the Live Version of Ghost Rider from Rush In Rio.

At the 29/30 second mark... Geddy just finishes singing the line "Keep On Riding North and West"

The echo on his voice at that moment is just AWESOME!!!!

653.gif  653.gif  653.gif

awww, man!!! my RiR is at work right now sad.gif

Hey Rolinda!! Did you ever check this out?? Let me know. biggrin.gif

Ok, I've got a few I'd like to share. One of them being a challenge, so make sure you keep reading. Let's get started:

First - the Hold Your Fire version of Mission. Check it out at the 0.20 mark exactly when Geddy is singing "Is a dream". Do you hear it? What's that rumble in the background?

Second - I've been JAMMING to the live stuff from DS, RIR, and R30. You must listen to Subdivisions from R30, and check out the way Geddy sings the word "Bars" from the line "In the basement bars" during the 2nd chorus. Exactly at 3:48. The way his voice quivers and drops is just f'ing awesome. I love it. 653.gif cool.gif

Third - Listen to the Different Stages version of Animate. Start it from the beginning and listen all the way through. You must do this because the song is so friggin kick ass awesome and pumps so much adrenaline though my system that I'm going out of my mind when the song hits those final notes. Now... with all that excitement and energy surging through me - I have to hear this idiot standing on my left (you can hear him throughout most of the DS recording). At 6:23/6:24... omg is that lamest 'wooo' you ever heard in your life? Somebody kick that guy in the ass and tell him to wake the f up. I'd do it, but he's too far over.

Finally - ok here is the challenge... Check out the Different Stages version of Stick It Out. I think it's the same guy on my left from Animate. Apparently he finally woke up for the 2nd half of the show, or maybe he just likes this song better than Animate with the exuberant "Yeah" he gives at 4:26. We'll never know. Anyway, listen to this other guy at 4:37. It's really hard to make out, but can anyone figure out what that guy yells out? This is not a contest for I have no idea, myself. We may never get to a definitive answer, but I'd love to hear some thoughts. Don't let this go by. If you've read this, you're a part of it now and must respond. I do apologize for impacting your life like this and putting you to work, but what must be done... must be done. What say you?

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 21 2006, 08:30 AM)

At the 29/30 second mark... Geddy just finishes singing the line "Keep On Riding North and West"

doh.gif i forgot. thanks for the reminder smile.gif i just sent myself an email wacko.gif so i'll remember to check it out tomorrow.

i DID, however, listen to the Secret Touch left speaker from 4:00-4:15 though! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif thanks for that! i always wondered why it didn't have the same kind of power live. mystery solved trink38.gif <---for you

Edited by Rolinda Bonz

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 21 2006, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 21 2006, 08:30 AM)

doh.gif i forgot. thanks for the reminder smile.gif i just sent myself an email wacko.gif so i'll remember to check it out tomorrow.

i DID, however, listen to the Secret Touch left speaker from 4:00-4:15 though! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif thanks for that! i always wondered why it didn't have the same kind of power live. mystery solved trink38.gif <---for you

NICE!! Isn't that part amazing when you mess with the balance? laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 21 2006, 10:16 AM)
Wouldn't you know that COS is the only Rush album I don't own yet on CD. I wonder if it's on the vinyl or tape version?

ahh...bad memories. My old store bought cassette had I think I'm going bald on side two, where didacts and narpets belongs. And, as you might guess...there's this odd drum solo on side one.....

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 22 2006, 02:04 AM)
QUOTE (rotyb @ Mar 21 2006, 11:01 PM)
ok how about the seperation on hemisphers when you where head phone  when geddy sings hemespheres.

confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif

I love that one, too! goodpost.gif

I really like the "upside down" platter cymbal that NP hits in his drum kit. I think he uses it in "Mystic Rythms". Kinda like a shattering sound.

What kind of cymbal is it?  confused13.gif  M R sounds awesome. The special pedal Alex uses...

Those are electronic stax.

Stax are made by putting a cymbal directly onto another crash cymbal to create a muted spraacsch. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (BassUnderPressure @ Mar 23 2006, 07:46 AM)
I really like the "upside down" platter cymbal that NP hits in his drum kit. I think he uses it in "Mystic Rythms". Kinda like a shattering sound.

What kind of cymbal is it?  confused13.gif  M R sounds awesome. The special pedal Alex uses...

Those are electronic stax.

Stax are made by putting a cymbal directly onto another crash cymbal to create a muted spraacsch. rofl3.gif

Sabian makes Max Staxx, by Mike Portnoy, if you want a pre-fab sound kinda like that. You can hear it on Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory album. Uh Oh, I said some bad words... oops.gif