Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

I personally like all the glitches that seem to be pointed out in the last 48 hours ph34r.gif

bolt.gif

sarcastic...sorry, had to do it!

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 3 2007, 12:33 PM)
Like the other Great Sounds... thread in the Rush forum, let's list all of those tiny and otherwise 'hidden' sounds or moments that would probably escape the casual listener.

Please... don't give me "The entire solo section of TWWB".

Let's do it this way (like the glitch thread for We Hold On, and the guitar sound for Spindrift):

Song:
Specific description of sound:
Time:

I'll go first.

Song: The Main Monkey Business
Desc.: this wooden 'ridged' percussion sound. Would anyone know the name of the wooden instrument this seems to be?
Time: 1:40 and again at 4:39

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I probably need a bit more time to figure out what sound came from where, but there's an unusual cymbal crash in one tune that I've never heard Neil use before, it's not very hard rock but it's interesting, it's kind of "small" sounding... I can't remember the tune though...

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 3 2007, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 3 2007, 01:40 PM)
I haven't heard enough of the CD to notice any particulars yet. But soon, perhaps....

And an EXCELLENT entry there, CT. Thanks!! laugh.gif

tongue.gif

Song: Spindrift

Desc: The way the music at the beginning of the song comes in like an approaching storm. A perfect fit with the lyric, and sets such a menacing tone.

Time: 0:00 - 0:40

In "the Main Monkey Business", I interpret those "weird" sounds as pouring water.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ May 3 2007, 01:36 PM)
Geddy singing at the very end of Bravest Face (w/o the music). wub.gif

Yep, I noticed that right away too...goosebumps! wub.gif

Like the other Great Sounds... thread in the Rush forum, let's list all of those tiny and otherwise 'hidden' sounds or moments that would probably escape the casual listener.

Let's do it this way (like the glitch thread for We Hold On, and the guitar sound for Spindrift):

Song:

Time:

I'll go first.

Song: The Main Monkey Business

Desc.: this wooden 'ridged' percussion sound. Would anyone know the name of the wooden instrument this seems to be?

Time: 1:40 and again at 4:39

I believe that is either a ratchet ( percussion device used in classical music) or a guiro...I am leaning twoard the ratchet right now.

It sounds kind of like a cork being removed from bottle. With Geddy's interest in wine, who knows...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 3 2007, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ May 3 2007, 12:33 PM)

Song:
Time:

I'll go first.

Song:  The Main Monkey Business
Desc.:  this wooden 'ridged' percussion sound.  Would anyone know the name of the wooden instrument this seems to be?
Time:  1:40 and again at 4:39

I probably need a bit more time to figure out what sound came from where, but there's an unusual cymbal crash in one tune that I've never heard Neil use before, it's not very hard rock but it's interesting, it's kind of "small" sounding... I can't remember the tune though...

I've remembered the little cymbal crash, the beginning of the second verse on Bravest Face...

Sounds sort of unusual...

In the main riff of the main monkey business, it sounds like geddy is humming through some voice distorter (no, not at the part where he obviously is doing it, but at the first main riff)

I dunno if he is, or if its some guitar/synth thing...

QUOTE (New World Kid @ May 6 2007, 03:36 PM)
In the main riff of the main monkey business, it sounds like geddy is humming through some voice distorter (no, not at the part where he obviously is doing it, but at the first main riff)

I dunno if he is, or if its some guitar/synth thing...

NICE!! I was going to mention this as well. The level is very low as to not take over the music, and it only makes it more haunting. I love it.

trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 3 2007, 11:33 AM)

Song:
Time:

I'll go first.

Desc.:  this wooden 'ridged' percussion sound.  Would anyone know the name of the wooden instrument this seems to be?
Time:  1:40 and again at 4:39

to answer your TMMB question, I noticed Sleigh bells (1:34 and 4:34) and a Ratchet (1:40 and 4:40)

Listen carefully for them. i didn't hear them at first. Very suttle

link to sleigh bells http://www.percussionsource.com/ProductDet...2&prodid=200953

here is a link to see what a Ratchet is:

http://www.percussionsource.com/ProductDet...D=201111&ID=351

Edited by NISH2112

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 6 2007, 09:03 PM)
I think it is a guiro, not a ratchet.

Yeah, it sounds like a guiro to me. The sleigh bells add a nice touch as well. Nice auxilary percussion on Neil's part.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 3 2007, 10:36 AM)
Here's another one.

Desc:  That cool drum riff Neil plays (sry my descriptions of music suck).. BUT - do you hear Geddy's base?  Check it out.  It's awesome!
Time:  1:20

applaudit.gif I do hear the bass, its just that I'm still trying to catch my breath from 1:18. drool1.gif common001.gif

That's gotta be the highlight of the album for me. It kind of caught me off guard the first time I listened.

I was in my car with the volume up to 11, biggrin.gif and the power and resonance of that 1:18 beat blasting from the driver's side door

totally blew my skirt up ohmy.gif ...and I was wearing slacks! wink.gif

Thanks Neil!!! wub.gif

btw, great thread, Pags! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

@ ~1:40 - 1:49 in Malnar there's an unholy volley between Alex's jangling guitar riff, followed by a fretless fiasco, capped off with a nice punctuation by Neil's flat crisp fill....

And I can't omit the "boujjze" ending to MalNar.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Geddys bass solos in MalNar, Armor and Sword where neil goes around the Kit 3:51-4:38 pretty much everything of that part is amazing.

"A little Closer to you..." 2:44 Spindrift. There are alot more but i cant remember them right now

Edited by GeddyLeeFender