Neil Peart as a lyricist

Slime

Where does Neil rank in terms of lyrics?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Neil rank in terms of lyrics?

• The absolute, undisputed king of lyrics!
    • The best, but others are VERY close
    • Probably in the top five of all time
    • In the top ten
    • not even in the top ten
    • He is actually one of the worst I've heard
    • The WORST ever!

I think Neil is the King but I will say that those FISH lyrics written on those Marillion albums are right up there!

Some say that Fish is too wordy with his writing.

I say he is right there next to Neil.

Sincerely,

"White and Nerdy"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 16 2007, 02:18 PM)
I will say that those FISH lyrics written on those Marillion albums are right up there!

Sincerely,

"White and Nerdy"

QFT goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 16 2007, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 16 2007, 02:18 PM)
I will say that those FISH lyrics written on those Marillion albums are right up there!

Sincerely,

"White and Nerdy"

QFT goodpost.gif

Couldnt agree more! Fish have written some amazing lyrics. Steve Hogarth & John Helmer has also written some good lyrics.

Others I like;

Kevin Moore in DT wrote some very good lyrics.

Devon Graves from Psycothic Waltz and Dead Soul Tribe

And probably several more that doesnt come to my mind right now

I rate NEP as the best, but others are very close behind. All lyrics are maybe not perfect. But I cant get into mind any other that has written lyrics like Losing It, Subdivisions, Witch Hunt, Red Barchetta, Everyday Glory and loads of others. Lyrics must have a strong story and NEP puts all his effort in it.

Dont You get an urge to take the car out for a trip when listening to Red Barchetta? laugh.gif

I'm actually going to have to chip in Johnny Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls, here. It's not super-intellectual stuff that he writes, but it's honest and poetic and lovely. I can relate to almost every single song that he's written that's been released since 1990.

Growing up with Neil's lyrics has been an interesting journey, and I definitely think he's got something to say, but to put him in "the top 10," you really need to consider the scope you're dealing with.

Top 10 prog rock lyricists? Definitely.

Top 10 rock lyricists? Possibly.

Top 10 20th/21st century lyricists across all genres? Hmmm....

Top 10 "lyricists" (whatever that might mean) of all time? Dream on.

I know Rush and prog rock in general are an acquired taste, but when you focus specifically on the lyrics and say, "Are these great lyrics? Are they poetry for the ages?" you need to step back a little and think, "You know, if non-Rush fans are mocking these lyrics (which they sometimes do, don't fool yourself), then maybe not so much."

For me poetry says more when it doesn't try to say so much, so literally. Neil's got a lot of ideas, and he's good at expressing them in rhyming couplets, but that doesn't make them great as lyrics.

Don't get me wrong. I still like Neil's lyrics, and in the realm of prog rock bands, they're about the best there is (although I have to admit, I generally favor the meaningless abstract impressionism of Jon Anderson's lyrics).

BTW, FWIW, IMHO (among various other acronyms), the best rock lyricist of the past decade, at least, is Ben Folds.

I would have to put Neil simewhere in the top 3 of lyricists of all time well for me anyway. 2.gif trink39.gif

He's generally good, occassionally great, and has once or twice touched brilliance.

I would put him in the top 10 but there are better out there.

As has been mentioned Dylan is hard to beat. I also admire Neil Finn, Springsteen, Kate Bush, etc

Archived