Goober Radio!

rushgoober

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Dec 28 2006, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Dec 28 2006, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 28 2006, 05:38 PM)
I'm on-the-air in Albany's capital region again tonight, streaming live on the web at www.pyx106.com.  I've already played my Rush for the night - "Limelight" - as well as Heart's "Barracuda" and Zep's "Kashmir."  A good mix of great songs and crap to follow...

omg what a f*ckin shameless hijack!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/sor64/KopiavDSC00790.jpg yes.gif absolutely shameless~ mortkort ~

laugh.gif

I know, I know.... I've been hijacking this thread all along, you've only now called me out on it. Apologies to Gary, but I wanted everyone to know I was working a big Classic Rock station all this week, and it seemed better to post about it here than to start my own thread.

BTW, who's that a picture of? It looks like Cameron Crowe and Jay Leno had a kid together.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 28 2006, 08:55 PM)
I'm on-the-air in Albany's capital region again tonight, streaming live on the web at www.pyx106.com.  I've already played my Rush for the night - "Limelight" - as well as Heart's "Barracuda" and Zep's "Kashmir."  A good mix of great songs and crap to follow...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/sor64/KopiavDSC00790.jpg yes.gif absolutely shameless~ mortkort ~

laugh.gif

I know, I know.... I've been hijacking this thread all along, you've only now called me out on it. Apologies to Gary, but I wanted everyone to know I was working a big Classic Rock station all this week, and it seemed better to post about it here than to start my own thread.

BTW, who's that a picture of? It looks like Cameron Crowe and Jay Leno had a kid together.

That is the mighty mortkort...don't f**k with the mighty mortkort yes.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Dec 28 2006, 09:23 PM)

laugh.gif

Where exactly does his chin end and his neck begin? laugh.gif

Touchy touchy. unsure.gif

Where's the "middle finger" icon when you want it?

QUOTE (daveyt @ Dec 29 2006, 02:43 AM)
hey you f***ing asshole why don't you look in the mirror you f*ckin prick. he asked you guys to lay off so take the f*ckin hint.

Davey, GeddyRulz doesn't recognise the picture, so how can he know there's been a request to "lay off".

I think you're out of order here mate!!.

GREAT JOB GOOBS!!!

We listened to the entire show. yes.gif

I kinda thought the music was alright. unsure.gif

I could listen to it once in a while. yes.gif

I wish you lots of success with this new show.

trink39.gif

Oh yeah... Thanks for the shout out to all the TRFers

and the plug for TRF!!! I thought that was really cool. 1022.gif

Gary, we had a power cut last night!! 100 mile an hour winds, trash cans flying, cat's gone bald, total nightmare!!

Please post the track listing.

Hope you had a great 1st night.

You played The Trees, awww, "And the trees are all kept equal by HA&S"!!

I got a mention!!! tongue.gif

Thanks SOOOOOO much for those who listened. Outside of a varied (which was expected) response to the music itself, the main feedback I seem to have received in terms of practicality is that the parts where I spoke were far too quiet, but that the music came through loud enough, and for some that the streaming audio kept cutting out periodically. If this was also YOUR experience, please PM me and confirm that this was or wasn't the case so I can use the feedback for next time. Both are things I can talk to the station about. In terms of my speaking louder, there's a more sensitive microphone I can use that should be able to pick up my voice louder (through my headphones it all sounded fine, so I didn't know it wasn't coming through loud enough). In terms of the streaming audio cutting out, that's something I can only address with the technical guy at the station. I expected a few bugs on my first show.

Anyway, thanks again, and by next time it should sound even better. I also kind of learned that some songs that I personally love didn't seem to work as well on the radio or in context, and, well, let's just say I'll get better in general, but I thought I did a pretty darn good job for my first show. smile.gif

12/28/06 Playlist:

1. Kak - Trieulogy

2. Astral Navigations - Fourth Coming

3. The Pentangle - Bells

4. Kaleidoscope - Keep Your Mind Open

5. The Chocolate Watchband - In The Past

6. Popol Vuh - Aguirre II

7. Avant Garde - Naturally Stoned

8. Tinern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner

9. Quiet Sun - Sol Caliente

10. Rush - The Trees

11. The Creation - How Does It Feel To Feel?

12. Relatively Clean Rivers - Journey Through The Valley Of O

13. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Eighteen Is Over The Hill

14. The Misunderstood - I Can Take You To The Sun

15. Freeborne - Land of Diana

16. Fifty Foot Hose - If Not This Time

17. Reale Accademia Di Musica - Il Mattino

18. The Charlatans - Alabama Bound

19. Harmonium - Depuis L'Automne

22. Lothar and the Hand People - It Comes On Anyhow

21. O Terco - 1974

Thanks peeps all who listened, especially those who had to stay up REALLY late *cough* madra *cough* to do so! I have two threads now, one here and one in Random Samples. Yikes! Not sure how to handle that yet, but anyway, here's the playlist for last night.

12/28/06 Playlist:

1. Kak - Trieulogy

3. The Pentangle - Bells

10. Rush - The Trees

21. O Terco - 1974

Definitely more Rush for the next show. tongue.gif

well gary after tuning in last night for about 40 minutes, all i can say is WOW ! you should be on satellite radio cause your out there.(cymble crash) biggrin.gif seriously though for the first time doing this you sounded comfortable and i didnt hear any nerves in your voice at all. you told me how much you couldnt swear on radio due to the f.c.c. regulations maybe one time to many but overall you put forth a great first effort. the little tale you told was very interesting as well. you also played an interesting set list which i know necro enjoyed very much. unsure.gif i heard through the grapevine you may be doing a lawrence welk set next week, is this true ? Edited by tick

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 29 2006, 01:39 PM)
Thanks peeps all who listened, especially those who had to stay up REALLY late *cough* madra *cough* to do so! I have two threads now, one here and one in Random Samples. Yikes! Not sure how to handle that yet, but anyway, here's the playlist for last night.

12/28/06 Playlist:

1. Kak - Trieulogy
3. The Pentangle - Bells
10. Rush - The Trees
21. O Terco - 1974

Very psych, The Creation!! Wow, haven't heard that song in years. I remember Ride covered that one a while back. Pentangle!!! Great stuff.

Quiet Sun, that's Phil Manzanera's band, is it not?

I've heard of roughly half of what's on the list.

Back to school for me.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 29 2006, 03:29 AM)

laugh.gif

hey i'm in this thread too! oh, and you don't f**k whit me!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 29 2006, 08:27 AM)
Thanks SOOOOOO much for those who listened. Outside of a varied (which was expected) response to the music itself, the main feedback I seem to have received in terms of practicality is that the parts where I spoke were far too quiet, but that the music came through loud enough, and for some that the streaming audio kept cutting out periodically. If this was also YOUR experience, please PM me and confirm that this was or wasn't the case so I can use the feedback for next time. Both are things I can talk to the station about. In terms of my speaking louder, there's a more sensitive microphone I can use that should be able to pick up my voice louder (through my headphones it all sounded fine, so I didn't know it wasn't coming through loud enough). In terms of the streaming audio cutting out, that's something I can only address with the technical guy at the station. I expected a few bugs on my first show.

Anyway, thanks again, and by next time it should sound even better. I also kind of learned that some songs that I personally love didn't seem to work as well on the radio or in context, and, well, let's just say I'll get better in general, but I thought I did a pretty darn good job for my first show. smile.gif

It was great. We look forward to the next show. yes.gif

It did cut our a few times, but I wasn't having some of the problems that others were, so I think that was just with their connection.

Your voice was quiet. yes.gif But it fit with what you were trying to do with the bells and ecclectic stuff going on in the background.

You reminded me of late night dj's I remember hearing back in the late 60's and early 70's, which I think is what you were after. The soft, smooth voice stylings and all. If you started yelling, I don't think it would fit. no.gif But if a better mic would pick you up, that would be a benefit.

Some stumblings on the cues, but that's something that will pass with practice. I had a "producer" when I did college radio, so I didn't cue my own stuff too much. He'd just give me the signal when it was ready and I'd wrap up my talking. That's all timing. You'll pick that up quick.

As for the music... yeah... i didn't get it too much. But I'm always open to new things and there was some I definitely enjoyed. CeeJ is far more ecclectic in her tastes and she enjoyed it a lot. And THAT made me enjoy it. So you've definitely got two repeat listeners here. Just play THE NECROMANCER next time, okay? z7shysterical.gif

Great Job. I'm jealous. yes.gif

trink39.gif

GOOC GOT THE GOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh..sorry.....it's a chat thing.... wink.gif

i wish i could've heard more...

i know part of the problem was the computer i was on...it was "cuttin gout"...quite a bit...

next week i'll listen on MY sytem upstairs and not in the dungeon.....

i think it will be better!!!

In terms of my speaking louder, there's a more sensitive microphone I can use that should be able to pick up my voice louder (through my headphones it all sounded fine, so I didn't know it wasn't coming through loud enough).

Just tell the sound guy to turn your headphone monitors down....you don't need a more sensitive mic.

More sensitive mic is gonna pick up EVERYTHING better, even you breathing, and the pops when you say words with p's in them....

If he turns your monitors down, that will force you to talk louder so you can hear yourself better, and that will have the effect of turning up ONLY the things you are SAYING, not your breathing and shuffling papers around, and any other noises in the room....

cool.gif

QUOTE (Geds @ Dec 29 2006, 10:48 AM)
In terms of my speaking louder, there's a more sensitive microphone I can use that should be able to pick up my voice louder (through my headphones it all sounded fine, so I didn't know it wasn't coming through loud enough).

Just tell the sound guy to turn your headphone monitors down....you don't need a more sensitive mic.

More sensitive mic is gonna pick up EVERYTHING better, even you breathing, and the pops when you say words with p's in them....

If he turns your monitors down, that will force you to talk louder so you can hear yourself better, and that will have the effect of turning up ONLY the things you are SAYING, not your breathing and shuffling papers around, and any other noises in the room....

cool.gif

goodpost.gif

You did amazing Goob!

And the feed did cut out on me quite a bit... I missed the last 20 min or so because it got frustrating because I could'nt listen anymore... just kinda gave up trying.

Can't wait for next week biggrin.gif

Assuming.... your going to be on again... same time and everything.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 29 2006, 06:34 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 29 2006, 01:39 PM)
Thanks peeps all who listened, especially those who had to stay up REALLY late *cough* madra *cough* to do so!  I have two threads now, one here and one in Random Samples.  Yikes!  Not sure how to handle that yet, but anyway, here's the playlist for last night.

12/28/06 Playlist:

1. Kak - Trieulogy
3. The Pentangle - Bells
10. Rush - The Trees
21. O Terco - 1974

Very psych, The Creation!! Wow, haven't heard that song in years. I remember Ride covered that one a while back. Pentangle!!! Great stuff.

Quiet Sun, that's Phil Manzanera's band, is it not?

I've heard of roughly half of what's on the list.

Back to school for me.

You're way ahead of most people if you've heard of half of the material, mate! trink39.gif

Yes, Quiet Sun was Phil Manzanera's band. It also included one Brian Eno as well. They made only one album, but it's a f*cking great album.

On the cd compilation I have of The Creation, it has TWO versions of How Does It Feel To Feel, US Version and UK Version. I played the US Version, which is far superior - it's got a LOT more feedback and cool graunch guitar.

Anyway, hope you can tune in next week, mate! trink39.gif

QUOTE (mortkort @ Dec 29 2006, 10:02 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 29 2006, 03:29 AM)

laugh.gif

hey i'm in this thread too! oh, and you don't f**k whit me!

Sorry about the crack on your appearance, dude. I didn't know it was a member pic!!

You do look an awful lot like the young Cameron Crowe, though. tongue.gif

BTW... I know one song Goob played and that's it! I wonder how many listeners thought the same thing. Seriously, Rush is the ONLY mainstream band Goob played; they stick out like a sore thumb amidst all that other esoteric stuff.

Now to further hi-jack the thread:

I'm on the radio again tonight, working for a big Classic Rock station in Albany, NY. Streaming live at www.pyx106.com. No Rush tonight. sad.gif