Michael "Kramer" Richards' racist meltdown

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Nov 21 2006, 12:49 PM)
Maybe he should go to the hecklers Job and heckle HIM
while hes workin, See how he likes it wink.gif

Of course theres a vast difference from what was worse, Kramers racist tirade is horrifying and shameful. And I agree with rushgoober a professional (experienced) comedian must of faced these scenario's many times in there career.And how they react to it shows how good(and in this case how bad) they are in there profession.

Now putting that aside coming from a audience perspective I would hate hearing a idiot from the crowd do this, Imagine paying top dollar to see our band RUSH and some drunken A-HOLES sitting behind you bashing them and yelling they suck? A concert hall setting is different I know but it would still be annoying. I also think in a comedy club heckling the act should not be tolerated for it infringes on the rights of others who came to enjoy who's on stage, and not someone in the audience who has a ax to grind. And they should be asked to stop or they will have to leave.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like focusing on the heckling is a distraction from the important issue here. I say this because heckling goes on continually in the comedy industry (incidentally, i'm not a professional comedian, i just play one on the internet wink.gif ). There must be people heckling comedy shows hundreds of times a day all over the world.

There are NOT however incidents like this that happen all the time, where a comedian publicly goes off on an extended racial tirade. I think this is the issue at hand here, not how bad it is to heckle comedians.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2006, 01:22 PM)
It seems like focusing on the heckling is a distraction from the important issue here. I say this because heckling goes on continually in the comedy industry (incidentally, i'm not a professional comedian, i just play one on the internet wink.gif ). There must be people heckling comedy shows hundreds of times a day all over the world.

There are NOT however incidents like this that happen all the time, where a comedian publicly goes off on an extended racial tirade. I think this is the issue at hand here, not how bad it is to heckle comedians.

No of course not, The issue is not the heckling and I've stated my disgust at Richards clearly. It might be the norm to have a jerk do this from the audience at a comedy club,but I don't think it should be tolerated nothing wrong with booing but I don't want to hear some loud mouth keep going on and on. Distraction that's not needed didn't pay to hear there opinion of the act.

Get over it. He is human just like the rest of us. We ALL have flaws. Just because he's in the spotlight doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws. Racism happens to be one of his flaws. I'm sure we've had heroes that have flaws just as bad as racism or even worse. Some we know about, some we don't. Like Donna said... it IS America and he has the right to have whatever feelings he has.

The reverse has happened a bajillion times and no one's gotten so flipped out. I'm not gonna get started on how reverse racism happens all the time, cuz every time you point that out, you get called a racist. I'm NOT a racist, but I think it's crap that the reverse happens as well.

Mike made a boo boo. I'm not gonna stop watching anything he's in because of it. No offense to all of you who have your knickers in a twist, but if you stop watching shows he's in because of this... i dunno... just lame. Then promise me you won't watch Cosby too. Cuz he's just as bad. yes.gif

Some good points Necro, but there's no such thing as "reverse racism". It's just racism period. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter what or who perpetrates the hatred. It's good for nothing. It's a grossly outdated concept based on ignorance and fear, two very detrimental human flaws. I would almost go as far as calling racism a mental illness. I honestly don't believe Richards is a racist, but he sure as hell f**ked this one up royally. But then again, he's only human.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 21 2006, 06:12 PM)
Get over it. He is human just like the rest of us. We ALL have flaws. Just because he's in the spotlight doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws. Racism happens to be one of his flaws. I'm sure we've had heroes that have flaws just as bad as racism or even worse. Some we know about, some we don't. Like Donna said... it IS America and he has the right to have whatever feelings he has.

The reverse has happened a bajillion times and no one's gotten so flipped out. I'm not gonna get started on how reverse racism happens all the time, cuz every time you point that out, you get called a racist. I'm NOT a racist, but I think it's crap that the reverse happens as well.

Mike made a boo boo. I'm not gonna stop watching anything he's in because of it. No offense to all of you who have your knickers in a twist, but if you stop watching shows he's in because of this... i dunno... just lame. Then promise me you won't watch Cosby too. Cuz he's just as bad. yes.gif

your thoughts here are fine, we can "get over it", whatever, but you wont have to worry about wheather or not you would watch anything with richards in it cause his career is finished. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 22 2006, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 21 2006, 06:12 PM)
Get over it.  He is human just like the rest of us.  We ALL have flaws.  Just because he's in the spotlight doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws.  Racism happens to be one of his flaws.  I'm sure we've had heroes that have flaws just as bad as racism or even worse.  Some we know about, some we don't.  Like Donna said... it IS America and he has the right to have whatever feelings he has.

The reverse has happened a bajillion times and no one's gotten so flipped out.  I'm not gonna get started on how reverse racism happens all the time, cuz every time you point that out, you get called a racist.  I'm NOT a racist, but I think it's crap that the reverse happens as well. 

Mike made a boo boo.  I'm not gonna stop watching anything he's in because of it.  No offense to all of you who have your knickers in a twist, but if you stop watching shows he's in because of this... i dunno... just lame.  Then promise me you won't watch Cosby too.  Cuz he's just as bad.  yes.gif

your thoughts here are fine, we can "get over it", whatever, but you wont have to worry about wheather or not you would watch anything with richards in it cause his career is finished. yes.gif

that's fine too. he had his 15 minutes

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 21 2006, 02:12 PM)
Get over it.  He is human just like the rest of us.  We ALL have flaws.  Just because he's in the spotlight doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws.  Racism happens to be one of his flaws.  I'm sure we've had heroes that have flaws just as bad as racism or even worse.  Some we know about, some we don't.  Like Donna said... it IS America and he has the right to have whatever feelings he has.

The reverse has happened a bajillion times and no one's gotten so flipped out.  I'm not gonna get started on how reverse racism happens all the time, cuz every time you point that out, you get called a racist.  I'm NOT a racist, but I think it's crap that the reverse happens as well. 

Mike made a boo boo.  I'm not gonna stop watching anything he's in because of it.  No offense to all of you who have your knickers in a twist, but if you stop watching shows he's in because of this... i dunno... just lame.  Then promise me you won't watch Cosby too.  Cuz he's just as bad.  yes.gif

I won't stop watching Seinfeld, just as I haven't banned Mel Gibson movies, and I'm Jewish (though non-practicing). Similarly, I haven't banned Tom Cruise movies just because he's nuts or Robert Downey Jr. because he was a drug addict for years, or anything like that. I probably wouldn't ever buy any Michael Jackson albums, but that wasn't likely to happen even if he was squeaky clean.

I do understand that Michael Richards is human, that we're all human and that we all have flaws, so your point is well taken.

Still, this doesn't make his actions excusable, and no quick apology is going to make up for something like this, at least not in the short term. He's going to have to deal with the consequences of his actions for a very, very long time.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2006, 06:21 PM)
Similarly, I haven't banned Tom Cruise movies just because he's nuts or Robert Downey Jr. because he was a drug addict for years. or anything like that.

IMO Downey was only hurting himself and no else. Obviously his substance abuse did negatively affect his friends and family but its a different thing altogether in my book.

I can forgive and understand addiction a lot easier than hatred/racism.

A lot of people say things when they're mad. Not trying to excuse him at all... but he was pissed and probably rightfully so. I would have taken a different route with the names I called them, but i'm sure i would have called them something bad too. Like ... "shut up you Goobers". Or maybe... "you Tick-heads are out of line. Please be quiet". tongue.gif

I definitely wouldn't have dropped an N-bomb. Richards did and he'll get fallout i'm sure, but when he writes a funny children's book or has another hit, it will all be forgotten about.

Do we all remember how everyone condemned the Dixie Chicks not too long ago? Now nobody cares. If he fades from the spotlight, I doubt this incident will be why. I'm not comparing a political opinion to racism, but the backlash they recieved is what i'm comparing. The public is fickle. How many of you all knew in your hearts that Michael Jackson did what he was accused of, but still supported his musical projects? How many of us know what Gary Glitter does to children, but still go nuts when his music is played at a football or basketball game? How many of us know that Christopher Walken was never really exhonorated from the death of Natalie Wood, but still see his movies? Ray Lewis? Ted Kennedy? Hell... some people still think OJ is freakin' innocent for cripes sake.

So really... is Kramer gonna be crucified for this? Seriously... in the grand scheme...???

I apologize for the term "reverse-racism" earlier. I agree that there is only racism and it doesn't matter who is perpetrating it. But to get the point across I was making, the outdated term still has merit.

I always thought Kramer was the least funny of the Seinfeld team. He just had his wacky Kramer thing and that was it, the same thing every episode. It didn't make me laugh. George and his parents were the funniest, followed by Seinfeld himself and then Elaine.

I saw Michael Richards in a few bit parts in films such as Airheads but he was always non-essential.

As for boycotting him well I don't think anyone will have the chance, he's had no career for about 6 years now, maybe longer. After this I doubt we'll see any kind of revival either...

His Letterman tirade was PATHETIC. Jerry had him on because he was worried about sales of season 7 which came out today. He looked like a bumbling idiot. Freedom of speech or not, it was unprofessional and disgusting. I hope he gets shot.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 21 2006, 05:22 PM)
I always thought Kramer was the least funny of the Seinfeld team. He just had his wacky Kramer thing and that was it, the same thing every episode. It didn't make me laugh. George and his parents were the funniest, followed by Seinfeld himself and then Elaine.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Nov 21 2006, 11:18 PM)
His Letterman tirade was PATHETIC. Jerry had him on because he was worried about sales of season 7 which came out today. He looked like a bumbling idiot. Freedom of speech or not, it was unprofessional and disgusting. I hope he gets shot.

Your avatar might be considered inappropriate and offend certain forum members(dosen't bother me but it's not in the best of taste) Freedom of speech is one thing, but wishing physical harm on someone? no.gif dazed025.gif angry.gif Your comment is disgusting.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 21 2006, 06:57 PM)
A lot of people say things when they're mad. Not trying to excuse him at all... but he was pissed and probably rightfully so. I would have taken a different route with the names I called them

Do we all remember how everyone condemned the Dixie Chicks not too long ago? Now nobody cares.

So really... is Kramer gonna be crucified for this? Seriously... in the grand scheme...???

Necro good observations, I think Richards was a idiot to make his outlandish racist remarks. But I do believe he had a right to be pissed at a few people trying to steal the spotlight and interrupt his act. But like you said he could have said a thousand different things then his foolish tirade of racism. I'll still watch Seinfield a boycott that's silly He made a big mistake but he shouldn't be crucified indefinitely, up to now I've never heard him portrayed as a bigot. So I'm willing to give him a chance and get over it. As for The Dixie Chicks some of these topics on TRF are identical in arguments on the Chicks board , (freedom of speech , boycott) And many are STILL not over it, country radio won't play them it's idiotic! Oh btw as you can guess I'm not one to condemned the Dixie Chicks agree with them yes, but don't want to get into politics always a big fan of there music.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 21 2006, 06:57 PM)
A lot of people say things when they're mad.  Not trying to excuse him at all... but he was pissed and probably rightfully so.  I would have taken a different route with the names I called them, but i'm sure i would have called them something bad too.  Like ... "shut up you Goobers".  Or maybe... "you Tick-heads are out of line.  Please be quiet".  tongue.gif 

I definitely wouldn't have dropped an N-bomb.  Richards did and he'll get fallout i'm sure, but when he writes a funny children's book or has another hit, it will all be forgotten about. 

Do we all remember how everyone condemned the Dixie Chicks not too long ago?  Now nobody cares.  If he fades from the spotlight, I doubt this incident will be why.  I'm not comparing a political opinion to racism, but the backlash they recieved is what i'm comparing.  The public is fickle.  How many of you all knew in your hearts that Michael Jackson did what he was accused of, but still supported his musical projects?  How many of us know what Gary Glitter does to children, but still go nuts when his music is played at a football or basketball game?  How many of us know that Christopher Walken was never really exhonorated from the death of Natalie Wood, but still see his movies?  Ray Lewis?  Ted Kennedy?  Hell... some people still think OJ is freakin' innocent for cripes sake. 

So really... is Kramer gonna be crucified for this?  Seriously... in the grand scheme...???   

I apologize for the term "reverse-racism" earlier.  I agree that there is only racism and it doesn't matter who is perpetrating it.  But to get the point across I was making, the outdated term still has merit.

What?

cool.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Nov 21 2006, 11:18 PM)

What?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3/dqlr/KramerTurkey.jpg

"i blew it jerry, carve me up."

If he'd have been at the Friar's Club, this would be much less of a deal. Anyone remember the Whoopie & Ted Danson "contraversy"?

These guys are comedians - crass to the Nth degree, intentionally. Was he over the line for my taset. Sure. But in my view, don't like the material, leave.

Where's Lenny Bruce when we need him?

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 22 2006, 11:52 PM)
If he'd have been at the Friar's Club, this would be much less of a deal. Anyone remember the Whoopie & Ted Danson "contraversy"?

These guys are comedians - crass to the Nth degree, intentionally. Was he over the line for my taset. Sure. But in my view, don't like the material, leave.

Where's Lenny Bruce when we need him?

There's crass and funny, and crass and not funny, he crossed the line, but *wasnt funny* - and dealing with hecklers is stand-up lesson #2.

Crass and funny is when Jeffrey Ross tells a female comic that he wouldnt f*ck her with Bea Arthur's dick, while Bea Arthur is sitting right there... smile.gif