Sad songs.....

Roddy

Resurrecting this thread as no song had stuck out to me before until I recalled this. The only song or video that has ever made me tear up.

• Like 1

OK, last one. Revisiting Eliott Smith I came across this one. This guy did sad like few others. I had suggested the more upbeat Waltz #2 for one of our wedding reception songs but my wife shot that one down as still too depressing.

As an aside, though I've long listened to Smith's music, I only recently discovered that he grew up as a Rush fan (along with the other usual suspects, like Dylan and the Beatles). Not something you normally expect from a an Indie folk rock outsider, though Rush were always outsiders as well, so maybe it makes some sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqcap3F_bKQ

Edited by Rutlefan

Chicago

Colour My World always gets to me..... In Junior High it was the first song I ever slow danced to with the fairer sex. Talk about raging hormones... :scared: :)

• Like 1

I thought of another sad song too. Whenever I have asked people if they ever heard this song, most haven't. The song is "Buy For Me The Rain" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. It was their first hit, and they never sounded like that again. If you google it, you can find it. I would provide a link, but my computer is as slow as anything.

How about "Don't Let The Rain Fall Down On Me" by The Critters?

I thought of another sad song too. Whenever I have asked people if they ever heard this song, most haven't. The song is "Buy For Me The Rain" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. It was their first hit, and they never sounded like that again. If you google it, you can find it. I would provide a link, but my computer is as slow as anything.

How about "Don't Let The Rain Fall Down On Me" by The Critters?

Had never heard that before. Sounds like a cross between The Mamas and Papas vibe and The Kingston Trio. Without the ladies of course.... :goodone:

Chicago

Colour My World always gets to me..... In Junior High it was the first song I ever slow danced to with the fairer sex. Talk about raging hormones... :scared: :)

Excellent. I wonder if it inspired this. First few bars sound pretty close.

That reminded me of another song.

My Father - Judy Collins

Ah, you know your Judy Collins! Judy Collins meets Chicago meets Cocteau Twins/Dead Can Dance I guess.

It's by a religious group, but whatever you think of that, these are some of the saddest lyrics I've ever heard...

Mom and Dad are fightin'

As Rosie lies there crying

For once again she's overheard

Regrets of their mistake

With Christmas bells a-ringing

Little Rosie'd leave them grieving

The gift she'd give her family

Would be the pills she'd take

An inconvenient child

She wasn't worth their while