Rest 2112 or not?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Rest 2112 or not?

• 1 Yes, there's other songs I want to see performed live
    • 2 No they have to do the overture/temples
    • 3 I'm not sure
    • 4 No way, in fact they should do ALL of it again
    • 5 They should do it but only if played in the original key
    • 6 I want the Fountain of Lamneth, I'm easy about 2112...
    • 7 I want nothing from the 70s
    • 8 2112? I want Under Lock and Key played 33 times

With the set clocking in at 3 hours now, there is plenty of room for Overture/Syrinx. I can see how doing it in it's entirety would eat up too much room for many people, but with that much time there is plenty of time for it. Especially if you dropped the ones that are nowhere near as important in the Rush catalog that get performed every tour such as RSA, RTB and DEW.

I love 2112, but it's played out...they need to retire it like they did Closer to the Heart on the VT and R30 tours.

The Trees should have this done as well. Neil even considers it to be trite these days according to both Contents and Chemistry. And I agree with him.

Definitely other things I'd rather have played.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 1 2006, 12:42 PM)
I love 2112, but it's played out...they need to retire it like they did Closer to the Heart on the VT and R30 tours.

The Trees should have this done as well. Neil even considers it to be trite these days according to both Contents and Chemistry. And I agree with him.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I love that they did 2112 in its entirety, but since I've seen that now, I'd rather have another full-length epic or a bunch of long-lost or never-before played songs.

(and I'd rather have all-or-nothing with 2112 - or any epic for that matter - not just the 1st two segments)

Do you think all 70s songs should now be dropped mate? If not which ones would you like to see?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 1 2006, 10:05 AM)
I love 2112, but it's played out...they need to retire it  like they did Closer to the Heart on the VT and R30 tours.

Do you think all 70s songs should now be dropped mate? If not which ones would you like to see?

Not all 70s songs, just the ones that are played every single tour.

Dream list of songs I'd like to see played (unlikely as it may be):

Middletown Dreams

Circumstances

Double Agent

Time and Motion

Cut to the Chase

Cinderella Man

Jacob's Ladder

Vapor Trail

Something off Presto that hasn't been played live yet, maybe Red Tide or Available Light

Entre Nous

And most importantly:

Most or all of the new album, when it's released.

Treeduck, why do you do this to me. Okay....do you want your front teeth pulled or all of your molars?

I could live without ALL of 2112 but strangely I can't live without Presentation. I realize that's a non-sequitur. The album would have to have some Monsters to make up for the lot of it.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 1 2006, 01:08 PM)
I love 2112, but it's played out...they need to retire it  like they did Closer to the Heart on the VT and R30 tours.

Middletown Dreams

Circumstances

Double Agent

Time and Motion

Cut to the Chase

Cinderella Man

Jacob's Ladder

Vapor Trail

Something off Presto that hasn't been played live yet, maybe Red Tide or Available Light

Entre Nous

And most importantly:

Yeah I agree with most of that, I'd like to see some other tunes off Vapor Trails too, Out of the Cradle, Ceiling Unlimited, Sweet Miracle, Nocturne...

70s songs: A Farewell to Kings, Cinderella Man, All Xanadu, Beneath, Between and Behind, Fly by Night...

80s The Weapon, Analog Kid, Turn the Page, Marathon, Camera Eye

90s - Cut to the Chase, Alien Shore, Time and Motion, Carve Away the Stone

and about 6 new ones...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 1 2006, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 1 2006, 01:08 PM)

Middletown Dreams

Circumstances

Double Agent

Time and Motion

Cut to the Chase

Cinderella Man

Jacob's Ladder

Vapor Trail

Entre Nous

And most importantly:

Yeah I agree with most of that, I'd like to see some other tunes off Vapor Trails too, Out of the Cradle, Ceiling Unlimited, Sweet Miracle, Nocturne...

70s songs: A Farewell to Kings, Cinderella Man, All Xanadu, Beneath, Between and Behind, Fly by Night...

80s The Weapon, Analog Kid, Turn the Page, Marathon, Camera Eye

90s - Cut to the Chase, Alien Shore, Time and Motion, Carve Away the Stone

and about 6 new ones...

More than 6...Unless the album only has 6 or 7 songs, then 6 works...

But I can't argue with any of your picks for old songs.

QUOTE (DmanYYZ @ Sep 1 2006, 01:30 PM)
Treeduck, why do you do this to me. Okay....do you want your front teeth pulled or all of your molars?

I could live without ALL of 2112 but strangely I can't live without Presentation. I realize that's a non-sequitur. The album would have to have some Monsters to make up for the lot of it.

Are you a dentist? No my teeth are good mate, ask me in another 30 years?

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 1 2006, 01:42 PM)
Treeduck, why do you do this to me.  Okay....do you want your front teeth pulled or all of your molars?

I could live without ALL of 2112 but strangely I can't live without Presentation.  I realize that's a non-sequitur.  The album would have to have some Monsters to make up for the lot of it.

laugh.gif

You are messing with again aren't you? The point is and it's a compliment, the better the question, the difficult the choice.

Cheers mate

QUOTE (DmanYYZ @ Sep 1 2006, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 1 2006, 01:42 PM)
Treeduck, why do you do this to me.  Okay....do you want your front teeth pulled or all of your molars?

I could live without ALL of 2112 but strangely I can't live without Presentation.  I realize that's a non-sequitur.  The album would have to have some Monsters to make up for the lot of it.

laugh.gif

You are messing with again aren't you? The point is and it's a compliment, the better the question, the difficult the choice.

Cheers mate

No probs...

laugh.gif trink38.gif

I almost voted for the Lock & Key choice (you all know how I feel about that song tongue.gif ), but I decided to get serious and vote for the "play the whole thing" one, cause hearing it in its entirety would rock! yes.gif

EDIT:

and if they browse this board, they'll play Lock & Key anyways smile.gif

I would actually want to hear the whole thing but I don't know if the Gedzzz can pull it off any more. Do you think he can still hold out?

He bit it on the last not of Limelight on R30. Por boy is in a bit of a struggle with the high notes sometimes.

Am I retarded?

pokey.gif

I think it would be a severe mistake to retire it in it's entirety as it's importance in the Rush canon cannot be overestimated. However, it is plain that geddy cannot sing it well anymore, and maybe they could reduce it to overture itself.To be honest, vocally it has lost its impact since he started to lose the rough edge in his voice in the late 70s

They have to keep 2112 on the setlist, because it'l be my first concert, and i want to hear it smile.gif plus, its one of my dads favorite songs, so it has to be played.

They only need to play the Overture/Temples/Finale ala R30.

Bring Closer to the Heart back too.

And play ALL of Xanadu. Wouldnt i love that.

2112 means to much to what Rush is to drop it. They will never do it.. it is their heart and soul. It made Rush what it is today. Without it, there would be no Rush as we know it. Sometimes we have to put aside personal preferences (as if a casual or first time fan would give a shit about middeltown dreams or available light) and do the moral thing.

Keep 2112; always.

Archived