Anyone for tennis?

treeduck

Down to the finals. See if I can get these right...

As stated before I'm going with Muguruza and Fed.

For the Muguruza win I'm going for a straight sets victory. And let's go ahead and call the score:

7-6, 6-4

Final score:

7-5, 6-0 Muguruza

Just too much for Venus in that second set.

• Like 1

For the Muguruza win I'm going for a straight sets victory. And let's go ahead and call the score:

7-6, 6-4

Final score:

7-5, 6-0 Muguruza

I was up late last night so I am ending up watching the replay; too horrible for Venus! She is going down in flames. To preserve some shred of self dignity I feel I must mention here that I have been #1 in the TRF Nascar Fantasy game for the last two months! Obviously if it were tennis I would be dead last. You, however, know your stuff!

• Like 1

7-6, 6-4

Final score:

7-5, 6-0 Muguruza

I was up late last night so I am ending up watching the replay; too horrible for Venus! She is going down in flames. To preserve some shred of self dignity I feel I must mention here that I have been #1 in the TRF Nascar Fantasy game for the last two months! Obviously if it were tennis I would be dead last. You, however, know your stuff!

:cheers:

The unedited, R-rated tennis comments can be found in pm's with treeduck...over the last decade. :LOL:

Tennis threads don't usually seem to last in TRF. Hopefully they will in the future.

Mainly, I want others around to hear us rip on Tomic and Kyrgios, tennis pro analysts/commentators, and other assorted tennis mutants. ;)

Nascar...the only connection to Nascar I have is going to Daytona Beach several times in my life due to growing up in Florida. But that was to hit the beach, not the track. :)

• Like 1

7-6, 6-4

Final score:

7-5, 6-0 Muguruza

I missed it. I'm happy for Muguruza!
  • Like 1

7-6, 6-4

Final score:

7-5, 6-0 Muguruza

It was pretty close that first set. Muguruza saved two set points then later Venus saved one.

After Muguruza got that second break in the second set, her title was all but guaranteed.

I haven't seen the box scores but it didn't LOOK like the beating that it was of 6-0. At the same time, Muguruza never looked like she was in trouble that second set because, of course, she wasn't.

• Like 1

7-6, 6-4

Final score:

7-5, 6-0 Muguruza

It was pretty close that first set. Muguruza saved two set points then later Venus saved one.

After Muguruza got that second break in the second set, her title was all but guaranteed.

I haven't seen the box scores but it didn't LOOK like the beating that it was of 6-0. At the same time, Muguruza never looked like she was in trouble that second set because, of course, she wasn't.

I watched the whole match. Muguruza was very good. Venus is 37 and had last week's traffic accident to deal with. She was just out of gas in that second set.

• Like 1

7-6, 6-4

Final score:

7-5, 6-0 Muguruza

I watched the whole match. Muguruza was very good. Venus is 37 and had last week's traffic accident to deal with. She was just out of gas in that second set.

Sounds right.

So how about the Cilic/Fed final?

Last year, Fed came back from 2 sets to 0 to beat Cilic. But in the 2014 U.S. open semis, Cilic dominated Fed in straights then went on to destroy a fatigued Nishikori in the final for his only slam title so far.

As I said earlier in this thread, Cilic has the best chance of those semi finalists to beat Roger. I don't think it'll happen but he has a chance. And I'd guess he'd have to go all out from the beginning of the match PLUS Fed being a little off his game. If that happens, it'd have to be a straight sets win for Cilic. I just can't imagine Cilic winning a tight match vs Fed. I think he'd take ONE set off Roger max.

BUT I don't expect that. I'm thinking Roger in straights. Let's go with 7-6, 7-5, 6-3.

• Like 1

I hate the BBC's coverage of tennis. It's all too jolly hockey sticks and dimwitted nods to outdated customs and protocol.

John McEnroe, however, is a titan of sports broadcasting.

• Like 1

I hate the BBC's coverage of tennis. It's all too jolly hockey sticks and dimwitted nods to outdated customs and protocol.

John McEnroe, however, is a titan of sports broadcasting.

McEnroe's the best tennis commentator I can think of, knowledgable and entertaining at the same time

• Like 2

Cilic appeared to fall apart after the 3rd game of the second set. Crying too...

3-6, 1-6 so far. This has to be crushing for him. :(
  • Like 1

6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

I know I called a straights sets Fed win but I didn't expect that much of a beat down.

Cilic couldn't get anything going. I know he had the injury time out and all that but he was serving 130-135mph and Fed was still returning those serves. Then again, big servers never really bothered Fed too much throughout his career.

• Like 1

6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

I know I called a straights sets Fed win but I didn't expect that much of a beat down.

Cilic couldn't get anything going. I know he had the injury time out and all that but he was serving 130-135mph and Fed was still returning those serves. Then again, big servers never really bothered Fed too much throughout his career.

Federer is a freak of nature. Just mind-boggling.
  • Like 1

6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

:yes:

Mrs. B was watching with me and after Fed returned a few of Cilic booming 130+ mph serves she asked how fast that was in km. I told her that it was faster than the usual Shinkansen(bullet train) speed. She said, "Than how can Cilic win?!" I replied, "Exactly."

6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

Mrs. B was watching with me and after Fed returned a few of Cilic booming 130+ mph serves she asked how fast that was in km. I told her that it was faster than the usual Shinkansen(bullet train) speed. She said, "Than how can Cilic win?!" I replied, "Exactly."

Roger Federer has an unfair advantage... in that he's Roger Federer.
  • Like 1

6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

Roger Federer has an unfair advantage... in that he's Roger Federer.

Given that Murray and Djokovic aren't healthy at the moment, it only increases Fed's chances of winning more big titles. Hopefully Rafa will keep having a great year so that he can challenge Fed. Additionally, Stan and the others need to step up to provide more competition too.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

I was just looking at the Wimbledon match scores and I hadn't realized that Roger didn't drop a single set for the entire tournament.

:notworthy:

• Like 2

6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

I was just looking at the Wimbledon match scores and I hadn't realized that Roger didn't drop a single set for the entire tournament.

I know it's nuts. You would've figured that Dimitrov, Raonic, Berdych, and Cilic would've AT LEAST mustered up 2-3 sets off Fed among the four of them.

Rafa did the same thing at the French this year, didn't drop a set the whole tourney. Additionally, his last two opponents, Thiem and Wawrinka, are as good as you get on clay these days.

6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

I know it's nuts. You would've figured that Dimitrov, Raonic, Berdych, and Cilic would've AT LEAST mustered up 2-3 sets off Fed among the four of them.

Rafa did the same thing at the French this year, didn't drop a set the whole tourney. Additionally, his last two opponents, Thiem and Wawrinka, are as good as you get on clay these days.

Rafa wins an astounding 10th French Open and also becomes the first player to win a major in ten consecutive years. Simply fantastic!
  • Like 1

6-3, 6-1, 6-4.

Rafa wins an astounding 10th French Open and also becomes the first player to win a major in ten consecutive years. Simply fantastic!

That too!