Anyone for tennis?

treeduck

15-13, final set to Muller. One for the ages.

It made for quite the exciting afternoon! I'm often one to root for the underdog, so I didn't mind seeing Nadal go down all that much. Was hoping Muller would get the win after all he put into it!

Looking forward to the women's quarterfinals tomorrow as Mr. blues and I are cheering for an underdog there as well. I am dating myself now but when we were first married we lived in Colorado and used to go to NBA Denver Nuggets games. (TV Channel 4 had a regular $4.00 ticket night; I'm not kidding.) Anyway the Nuggets had a player then, Kiki Vandeweghe, that would go nuts and regularly score like 25 pts. a game. He still works for the NBA.

His niece, Coco Vandeweghe, was seeded 24th and has made it into the quarter finals. She plays tomorrow at 9:15 Eastern against someone from Slovakia,

M. Rybarikova .

Coco's mainly hype. She's American so I expect her to be hyped up by all the American ex-player, now commentators.

Looking at her stats, she hasn't actually done that well...besides her semi final run at the Aussie this year. Take that tourney out and her career slam record is 16-25 (not including this year's Wimbledon too).

Her Wimby record before this year was 8-6.

Her 2017 record at Premier Mandatory and Premier 5 Tourneys (the next biggest tourneys under the slams) is 3-3.

Read as: a mediocre player with some experience.

This year at Wimby she's got a few advantages:

1) The only player of consequence that she's played so far has been Wozniacki...and Woz never does well at Wimby anyway.

2) Her upcoming opponent in the Wimby quarters had an overall career (prior to this year) of 2-9. That's terrible. But great for Coco!

(Rybarikova actually beat Coco in the first round of the French this year 6-1, 6-4...but that's clay and all that).

3) Having Pat Cash as her coach helps, especially at Wimby.

Yes, I thought it was interesting with having Pat Cash as her coach. I still think she is someone to watch as an up and comer. I haven't been able to see her match anywhere today, so far though! Looks like the long match with Nadal yesterday made them move things around, and then they put Venus on first. Now showing the No. 2 seed, Halep, instead of the No. 29 seed, Vandeweghe, go figure ! :D

Coco was on ESPN, getting beaten.

As I said...hype. I am surprised that she lost that though. And so easily too.

Yeah, she pretty much choked at the end. Hopefully she can build on the experience for next time? I dunno. The Johanna Konta-Venus Williams match might be a good one. It is supposed to rain a lot on Thursday so it gives me an excuse to stay inside and watch! :)

It made for quite the exciting afternoon! I'm often one to root for the underdog, so I didn't mind seeing Nadal go down all that much. Was hoping Muller would get the win after all he put into it!

Looking forward to the women's quarterfinals tomorrow as Mr. blues and I are cheering for an underdog there as well. I am dating myself now but when we were first married we lived in Colorado and used to go to NBA Denver Nuggets games. (TV Channel 4 had a regular $4.00 ticket night; I'm not kidding.) Anyway the Nuggets had a player then, Kiki Vandeweghe, that would go nuts and regularly score like 25 pts. a game. He still works for the NBA.

His niece, Coco Vandeweghe, was seeded 24th and has made it into the quarter finals. She plays tomorrow at 9:15 Eastern against someone from Slovakia,

M. Rybarikova .

Coco's mainly hype. She's American so I expect her to be hyped up by all the American ex-player, now commentators.

Looking at her stats, she hasn't actually done that well...besides her semi final run at the Aussie this year. Take that tourney out and her career slam record is 16-25 (not including this year's Wimbledon too).

Her 2017 record at Premier Mandatory and Premier 5 Tourneys (the next biggest tourneys under the slams) is 3-3.

1) The only player of consequence that she's played so far has been Wozniacki...and Woz never does well at Wimby anyway.

2) Her upcoming opponent in the Wimby quarters had an overall career (prior to this year) of 2-9. That's terrible. But great for Coco!

(Rybarikova actually beat Coco in the first round of the French this year 6-1, 6-4...but that's clay and all that).

Yes, I thought it was interesting with having Pat Cash as her coach. I still think she is someone to watch as an up and comer. I haven't been able to see her match anywhere today, so far though! Looks like the long match with Nadal yesterday made them move things around, and then they put Venus on first. Now showing the No. 2 seed, Halep, instead of the No. 29 seed, Vandeweghe, go figure ! :D

Yeah, she pretty much choked at the end. Hopefully she can build on the experience for next time? I dunno. The Johanna Konta-Venus Williams match might be a good one. It is supposed to rain a lot on Thursday so it gives me an excuse to stay inside and watch! :)

I just don't see Coco as anything special. She's not old by any means but she has been on tour since 2008. And American females generally breakthrough in their late teens or very early 20s.

The U.S. Open is just down the block...where Coco's record is a weak 4-8.

Prior to this year's Wimby, Konta had a 1-5 career there.

Venus was 81-14 winning it 5 times.

Konta's an excellent athlete but I think there's too much power and experience from Venus. Her ripe, old tennis age hasn't seemed to matter either.

I expect Muguruza to take out Rybarikova in the other semi.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

M. Rybarikova .

I just don't see Coco as anything special. She's not old by any means but she has been on tour since 2008. And American females generally breakthrough in their late teens or very early 20s.

Konta's an excellent athlete but I think there's too much power and experience from Venus. Her ripe, old tennis age hasn't seemed to matter either.

Muguruza looked strong today. :yes:

M. Rybarikova .

Muguruza looked strong today. :yes:

Yeah? Good. I like her.

I think she can win this and maybe a few more slams too.

I used to play ping-pong, is that the same as tennis?

Ping pong...

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2012/08/11/world/11racewalking2-span/11racewalking2-span-superJumbo.jpg

Tennis...

http://www.abbytriclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Picture1.png

• Like 1

Muguruza wins 6-1, 6-1! Venus getting it done so far...

Looks like I was right about both.

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to tennis...except in the case of that Murray/Querrey match...and Djoker...and Rafa... :LOL:

Yes, lots of upsets in the men's bracket this year! :)

• Like 1

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to tennis...except in the case of that Murray/Querrey match...and Djoker...and Rafa... :LOL:

Who are you picking for the men's semis and women's final?

As you can tell by my picking of Coco VandeWeghe, ;) I don't know all that much about the players after the top seeds! So it's kind of interesting looking at the men's semis. Gotta go with Federer, and with the American, Querry, although I guess he has lost the other times he has come up against Cilic . . . . I think Venus will win for the women, just because she has more experience with the stress of being in the spotlight of the finals.

Who are you thinking of?

As you can tell by my picking of Coco VandeWeghe, ;) I don't know all that much about the players after the top seeds! So it's kind of interesting looking at the men's semis. Gotta go with Federer, and with the American, Querry, although I guess he has lost the other times he has come up against Cilic . . . . I think Venus will win for the women, just because she has more experience with the stress of being in the spotlight of the finals.

Who are you thinking of?

I'm pulling for Muguruza on the women's side. On the Men's side, hard to go against Federer, and an American would be nice to see.
  • Like 1

Who are you thinking of?

I'm pulling for Muguruza on the women's side. On the Men's side, hard to go against Federer, and an American would be nice to see.

I don't mind who wins on the women's side. Either would make for a good story and it really could go either way. BUT I think Muguruza will take the title. She was embarrassed by not defending her French Open title (losing in the first round this year).

And yeah, Fed should win this. Cilic has the best shot of the 3 to beat him IMHO. I still think Cilic would lose though.

Cilic does everything better than Querrey except for maybe the serve...but Cilic has a good serve of his own. Cilic also moves much better than Querrey despite being just as big. So yeah, I don't expect Querrey to even make the finals. He's got to be a bit tired too after those three 5 setters. Cilic has had one 5 setter. Additionally, Sam's opponents were tougher than Marin's so there's that. Sam might gain confidence from those matches but I think it'll simply serve to sap his energy, physically and mentally.

Berdych vs Fed...Berdy is the ultimate underachiever. He's got big weapons, titles on all surfaces (though mostly hard courts), a lot of experience, usually goes deep in tourneys, and no real weaknesses. Given all that, he only has 1 Masters title and 1 slam final appearance. Can't imagine him beating the rejuvenated Fed at Wimby. Career-wise, he's 6-18 vs Roger.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Querry-Cilic goes to a tie break in set 1. In the tie break, Cilic missed an early overhead smash of a good defensive lob from Querry, and then dropped four straight points. Down 1-4, Cilic rallied back to 4-4, then just missed a cross-court winner by a fraction of an inch (the replay drew gasps and groans from the crowd).

Now we're at 6-6 in the tie break, on Cilic's second serve, and there is a delay for a medical emergency in the crowd...

ETA: And Querry takes the first set!!!

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Querry-Cilic goes to a tie break in set 1. In the tie break, Cilic missed an early overhead smash of a good defensive lob from Querry, and then dropped four straight points. Down 1-4, Cilic rallied back to 4-4, then just missed a cross-court winner by a fraction of an inch (the replay drew gasps and groans from the crowd).

Now we're at 6-6 in the tie brwak, on Cilic's second serve, and there is a delay for a medical emergency in the crowd...

Now we're at 6-6 in the tie brwak, on Cilic's second serve, and there is a delay for a medical emergency in the crowd...

Uh oh, look out! We're a long way from being done but that's a good start!

• Like 2

After dropping the second set 4-6, Querrey has taken set 3 to another tie-break with Cilic. :scared:

Loses tie-break 3-7. :(

Edited by goose

And there you go: Cilic into the final.

It's a good run from Querrey though for sure. I thought he'd definitely lose in the 3rd round vs Tsonga, probably lose vs Anderson in the 4th, then again without a doubt lose vs Murray in the quarters.

• Like 1

Down to the finals. See if I can get these right...

As stated before I'm going with Muguruza and Fed.

For the Muguruza win I'm going for a straight sets victory. And let's go ahead and call the score:

7-6, 6-4

Muguruza draws first blood and takes the first set 7-5 (only 1 game off with the prediction!)

http://cdn1.tvnz.co.nz/api/v1/web/image/content/dam/images/entertainment/shows/r/rambo-first-blood/RamboFirstBlood_coverimg.png.2017-04-13T12:40:18+12:00.jpg?width=1600&height=900

Who are you thinking of?

I don't mind who wins on the women's side. Either would make for a good story and it really could go either way. BUT I think Muguruza will take the title. She was embarrassed by not defending her French Open title (losing in the first round this year).

And yeah, Fed should win this. Cilic has the best shot of the 3 to beat him IMHO. I still think Cilic would lose though.

Cilic does everything better than Querrey except for maybe the serve...but Cilic has a good serve of his own. Cilic also moves much better than Querrey despite being just as big. So yeah, I don't expect Querrey to even make the finals. He's got to be a bit tired too after those three 5 setters. Cilic has had one 5 setter. Additionally, Sam's opponents were tougher than Marin's so there's that. Sam might gain confidence from those matches but I think it'll simply serve to sap his energy, physically and mentally.

Berdych vs Fed...Berdy is the ultimate underachiever. He's got big weapons, titles on all surfaces (though mostly hard courts), a lot of experience, usually goes deep in tourneys, and no real weaknesses. Given all that, he only has 1 Masters title and 1 slam final appearance. Can't imagine him beating the rejuvenated Fed at Wimby. Career-wise, he's 6-18 vs Roger.

((Too late to edit my post))

Meant to say Muguruza lost in the 4th round of the French this year but my fingers typed "1st round".

Anyway, Venus in big trouble now down a set and 0-4 in the second.