37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's a better vocalist?

• James LaBrie is better
    • Geddy Lee is better
    • I don't know
    • They're both awesome
    • They both suck
    • Other (specify)

I've given DT plenty of time to grow on me, but honestly, with almost every prog/prog metal type band that I try to like it is most often the singer that makes me not like them anymore. Believe me I have been to prog websites desperate to find some new music that gets me off as much as Rush/Yes, but to no avail. I tried Mars Volta, Porcupine tree, Spock's beard. I WANT to like it but none of it connects. I'll keep trying!

This is the case with DT.

That is why I'll accept it when someone says they do not like Rush because of Geddy- to me that is fair, I'll accept that as their reason.

I think most of the singers sound like wimps and destroy the great music that was created. They sound 'fake' to me for lack of a better word.

Although Dave Matthews doesn't fall into this category it took me YEARS to be able to handle his 'vocals'.

just my opinion.

While Geddy falls short of being considered a great singer, to me there is so much passion and conviction in the words he sings that he moves me.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jul 22 2006, 11:54 AM)
I've given DT plenty of time to grow on me, but honestly, with almost every prog/prog metal type band that I try to like it is most often the singer that makes me not like them anymore. Believe me I have been to prog websites desperate to find some new music that gets me off as much as Rush/Yes, but to no avail. I tried Mars Volta, Porcupine tree, Spock's beard. I WANT to like it but none of it connects. I'll keep trying!
This is the case with DT.
That is why I'll accept it when someone says they do not like Rush because of Geddy- to me that is fair, I'll accept that as their reason.
I think most of the singers sound like wimps and destroy the great music that was created. They sound 'fake' to me for lack of a better word.
Although Dave Matthews doesn't fall into this category it took me YEARS to be able to handle his 'vocals'.
just my opinion.
While Geddy falls short of being considered a great singer, to me there is so much passion and conviction in the words he sings that he moves me.

goodpost.gif Except for the Mars Volta.

I had to go with Geddy Lee. James LaBrie has an..OK studio voice, but when it comes to singing live, Man he cant do it, his live voice is bad, but where Geddy can almost dupilcate what he did in the studio live!

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jul 23 2006, 11:09 AM)
I had to go with Geddy Lee. James LaBrie has an..OK studio voice, but when it comes to singing live, Man he cant do it, his live voice is bad, but where Geddy can almost dupilcate what he did in the studio live!

you couldnt be more wrong on that point , he was awesome live !

No vote just a couple of comments

I would guess from a technical standpoint, La Brie is superior.

I suspect Geddy has an advantage in that he has Neil writing some of the best lyrics anywhere. In other words I might like his voice better because he has something better to sing.

I am a DT fan and have been since I & W. I have always considered LaBrie to be my least member of the group, mainly because he IMHO goes a little "overboard" at times. He can come across as a bit of a "glamour boy" and a little cheesy.

Speaking of cheese, I have long wondered why La Brie has not taken a stage name.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 23 2006, 11:33 AM)

In your opinion.

As of right now, my vote goes for Geddy, mainly because LaBrie's voice live hasn't impressed me, but I've only seen Live at Budokan so until I see DT live, then I can't judge on LaBrie yet.

I guess "cheesy' is a good description, in my opinion.

Many people tell me LaBrie sounds awesome live, but having the curse of perfect pitch, i can tell you that he struggles, but I can also tell you that Geddy doesn't hit all of his notes perfectly either.

IMO James has a better voice for mellower, more ballady-sounding stuff (Wait for Sleep, Vacant, Disappear, Space-Dye Vest, or what have you), and his voice can sort of get irritating as he reaches the top of his range (although the Learning to Live F# still gives me chills). He does however, have a bit of diversity in his voice, being able to sing well in low, middle, and high ranges, having both mellower voices and more "angry" sounding voices (e.g. War Inside My Head)

Geddy's live intonation is better, but as stated before, still not perfect. His in-studio voice, ever since Presto, however, has been weaker IMO, as he begins to strain for higher notes. However, in his earlier days, his higher range was spot on and much more pleasant than LaBrie IMO (though neither is really very pleasing to the ear tongue.gif ). Geddy does (did) better for straight-ahead all-out hard rock stuff, whereas his ballad stuff could use a little bit of work (I've never heard DT covering Tears, but I imagine JLB's voice probably suits the song better judging from what I know and have already heard)

They are each good in their own respects, however, I will have to say that I prefer James LaBrie. Geddy was meant to be a bassist. Though at this stage, I feel that his voice suits Rush's music the best, I still think that LaBrie's versitality and range overpower Lee's by quite a bit.

Don't worry-- Rush is still my favorite band! wink.gif

the result of this type of poll on a rush board is going to have an ovious result. i love rush as much as anyone , i think seeing them 35 times live would attest to that but if were gonna be honest, there not legends because of geddy lees virtuosic voice. i really do like geddys vocals but he does not rank in a conversation about world class vocalists. as far as labrie goes you either like the sound of his voice or you dont but he is a well trained singer with great vocal range and great tecnical skills which as i said has nothing to do with wheater or not you like the sound of his voice.

It's "Rock & Roll", nothing is meant to be perfect!

There's no comparison between these two singers, they are so different from one another it's just silly trying to compare them...imo.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 23 2006, 10:33 AM)

Well, since '92 I've seen James sing incredible and I've seen him sing crappy. I'd say his worst years were between 1995-1998. After that he got better. I think his voice got screwed up, but I gotta tellya: He's either awesome or awesomely bad. I mean, real bad. No in between with him...

I voted for 'both are awesome', and same goes for the bands themselves. But what gives Rush the overall edge for me personally is that their tunes/albums stand the test of time better, for me. When the new DT album comes out, I get very excited, I go out and buy it, and I absolutely play it non stop for maybe 6 months. Then it goes back on the CD shelf and hardly comes out again. I've barely listened to 12 Degrees or Octavarium at all since those 1st few months. On the other hand, I still listen to PoW, PW, MP, Hem, VT, AFTK etc etc etc ALL THE TIME.....

Archived