Best opening acts for Rush

YYZ Working Man

QUOTE (MrHands @ Jun 30 2006, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 29 2006, 07:17 AM)
Of the shows I attended, I think Blue Oyster Cult was the best opening act on the Power Windows tour.

Yup...although I missed BOC due to an almost tragic event. One day I'll post that evenings happenings. It was truly funny, terrible, scary & ultimately a happy ending.

I'm glad it was a happy ending for you.

I agree with BOC being the best opener although I am a bit biased since they are my second favorite band. I still enjoy seeing them perform and it gives me something to do until Rush hopefully returns. Buck Dharma is still a guitar playing wizard. If you are interested in seeing them again then you can check pollstar.com for their tour schedule.

In the present day, I agree that Rush should not have an opener.

I seem to remember some lady with a wicked violin opened for one of the shows in KC... a little odd at first, but this chic ended up rocking the place with that bow!

heres is who I've seen (in no particular order):

Marillion- in which everyone booed and kept yelling "genesis!"

Steve Morse- not bad but not too familiar with

Primus- who I really like and were great

Eric Johson- unbelieveable soundwise, very impressive. One of these shows @ Illinois State University I had a concussion from playing football that day, so I don't remember too much about that one.

Mr. big- boring cheesy spandex wearing crap. Ok so the musicians are decent or better w/ regard to instrument talent, but have any of them been able to make good music? Nope.

I swear that Tommy Shaw (styx) opened for them once too (in chicago) , but I cant remember when.

I have also seen KING'S X, YES, TRIUMPH, the OZRIC TENTACLES, & TOM WAITS open for them.

in my dreams.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jul 25 2006, 07:12 AM)
I swear that Tommy Shaw (styx) opened for them once too (in chicago) , but I cant remember when.

I saw that show, also. It was good. I know he played "Too Much Time on My Hands"... did he also play "Renegade"?

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 25 2006, 11:07 AM)

I saw that show, also. It was good. I know he played "Too Much Time on My Hands"... did he also play "Renegade"?

At the show I attended, he played "Renegade" also.

For the poster who asked above, it was the Hold Your Fire tour in which Tommy Shaw opened.

Opening for Rush, I have seen FM (86), Andy Curran (91), and Collective Soul (94), and I wasn't overly impressed with any of them. In all honesty, I was glad to see them come up with the "Evening with Rush" format in 97. I was getting tired of waiting for the opening acts to be finished to finally see the band I came to hear, and I still think the best band to open for Rush is, well, Rush. smile.gif

However, as a second choice, I would have loved to see Eric Johnson, Max Webster or Primus. In the "never happened" category, I also think Spock's Beard would have made a tremendous opener.

I've been to every RUSH tour since P/G. By far the best opening band during that time (but not well received) was Steve Morse, touring in support of his solo album. While I was thrilled to catch the smoking track "Cruise Missile" live, Morse's music just didn't translate well in an arena setting. I later caught Steve Morse headlining in a rock club and it was an infinitely better experience.

By far the worst opening band (but best received by the audience) was Mr. Big: overblown, pretentious, cheesy and entirely lacking in humor--which seemed to be exactly what the audience wanted.

Every other opening band was just plain forgettable.

Eric Johnson was my favorite, even though I did see Max Web open for them back in the day. I loved the Tommy Shaw shows too.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 25 2006, 10:07 AM)

Saw them at Nassau Coliseum and I'm pretty sure he did play Renegade. I believe he opened with "Blue Collar Man."

I just saw them (Styx) a month ago and it was, to be honest, embarrassing. At one point, the man actually said "It's a great night for a Rock and Roll show!" I mean, who says that?

Cheesy.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jul 25 2006, 03:46 PM)
Marillion... Oh Baby, was that ever awesome. Not just the best rush opening act, but the best opening act EVER.

Really? ohmy.gif

I heard they were booed off stage at Radio City Music Hall in New York. I heard that people were throwing things on the stage at this Genesis "fraud" band. The fans could see and hear that this was an attempted copy of Genesis and were having none of it.

Archived