Should I go see THE WHO this summer?

H. P. L.

I LOVE THE WHO.

They've been probably the most important band in my life, more than Rush, more than the Beatles. Their songs have been with me in bitter times and in happy times too. Soooooo many memories attached to them, soooo many deeper meanings their songs have added to my experience.

So, this summer I get a chance to see them live FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE in Switzerland (I know, it sounds like a joke, but they will play Switzerland and not Italy, not a big problem anyway). But the doubt is: should I?

I saw the performance at Live8 and was less than impressed. Pink Floyd were superb, The Who... I don't know, something was missing (OBVIOUSLY something was missing, half the band actually, but I talking aboout feelings...). Pete seemed uninterested. Rog was there, holding it all together, but the voice wasn't.... Before that, "Join Togheter" was a total disapponitment. Haven't seen "Albert Hall" still...

I'm asking especially all of you who has seen them/will see them recently: is the magic there? Surely, not the 70s magic, but are they still consistent? Is the playing good? Is it worth it?

I would see them just because I like concerts.

Unfortunately, only Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are left, so to me it isn`t The Who anymore. I saw them in the mid 80s and even then Pete Townshend didn`t play electric guitar, only acoustic back-up.

confused13.gif

I have no clue as to how good they might be, but if they are an important band to you, I say go see them while you have the opportunity. I recently saw the Moody Blues 35 years after the other time I saw them. Did they have extra musicians? Yes. Did they rock? Yes, more than ever. Was it magic? Dude! Totally took me back.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jun 23 2006, 06:02 AM)
I LOVE THE WHO.
They've been probably the most important band in my life, more than Rush, more than the Beatles. Their songs have been with me in bitter times and in happy times too. Soooooo many memories attached to them, soooo many deeper meanings their songs have added to my experience.

So, this summer I get a chance to see them live FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE in Switzerland (I know, it sounds like a joke, but they will play Switzerland and not Italy, not a big problem anyway). But the doubt is: should I?

I saw the performance at Live8 and was less than impressed. Pink Floyd were superb, The Who... I don't know, something was missing (OBVIOUSLY something was missing, half the band actually, but I talking aboout feelings...). Pete seemed uninterested. Rog was there, holding it all together, but the voice wasn't.... Before that, "Join Togheter" was a total disapponitment. Haven't seen "Albert Hall" still...

I'm asking especially all of you who has seen them/will see them recently: is the magic there? Surely, not the 70s magic, but are they still consistent? Is the playing good? Is it worth it?

you absolutly have to go ! dont miss the chance to see the two remaining members , youll have a great time , go !

I call The Who a cover band now. They are a shell of themselves as a band. Im disgusted with them since Johns death. The only reason they went back on tour was that they were guaranteed so much cash for the tour. I dont begrudge them for making money, but it just seemed so disrespectful and distasteful to John to go out and tour a few months after his passing.

I've seen them 8 times total in my life and every single show was awesome. Some of the best concerts I have ever seen. cool.gif

I've seen em once a couple years ago, and it just didnt feel right to me. You can definatly tell Roger and Pete are getting old, they cant quite play the same way they used to anymore. But if you have never seen them before, I would say go just so you can say you have. Just dont expect it to play as great as they would have 35 years ago.

If Entwhistle hadn't died, I would say go. Those two early 80s records they made with Kenney Jones were good, so clearly it CAN be the Who without Keith Moon...but without Moonie OR Entwhistle, you are essentially paying to see an overpriced cover band. Go if you really want to spare the cash, but be warned...it will be like a cover band (and judging from the recent performances I've seen from them (Live8, Royal Albert Hall) Daltry and Townshend are kind of losing their touch as well.

Your decisioni though.

QUOTE (bytor11 @ Jun 23 2006, 02:24 PM)
I call The Who a cover band now. They are a shell of themselves as a band. Im disgusted with them since Johns death. The only reason they went back on tour was that they were guaranteed so much cash for the tour. I dont begrudge them for making money, but it just seemed so disrespectful and distasteful to John to go out and tour a few months after his passing.

Did they not have it all booked and have to go on tour?

Anyway, ignore the people saying don't go because Moon and Entwhistle aren't there. They'll never come back, so this is the only option you're going to get, so take it!

QUOTE (Ernest Scribbler @ Jun 24 2006, 09:16 AM)
I'd rather go and see The Who with two original members than Guns n' Roses with one original egotistical maniac this summer.

Exactly. I had this problem with QPR, no-one would come because it wasn't Freddie singing, and they refused to go. What's the point?! It's not like Freddie can rejion at any moment, it was the best chance to see Brian and Roger in a concert.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 23 2006, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (bytor11 @ Jun 23 2006, 02:24 PM)

Did they not have it all booked and have to go on tour?

Anyway, ignore the people saying don't go because Moon and Entwhistle aren't there. They'll never come back, so this is the only option you're going to get, so take it!

Not so much that because those 2 members arent there (truthfully, I think they still worked without Keith Moon), but more because they just arent the same band they used to be. They are definatly a lot older and more tired on stage then when they were younger, and the playing showed. At least the show I went to.

I saw them the first night after The Ox's funeral in late July of 2002 at the first of two Tweeter Center gigs that year with ex-Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant opening. I got to see at least one dude from Zep. pete was clean-shaven and in a great mood and joked that night "we are careful of what we eat and drink" and what The Ox did his last night "WAS NOT TO BE RECOMMENDED!". Zak kicked ass. Pino Palladino was good(he played on David Gilmour's About Face album and Rick Wright's Broken China as they were my awareness to who he was) and filling The Ox's shoes was tough. If they hit Fla, I am there!

I have seen The Who THREE TIMES:

7/14/1989 - Foxboro Stadium(my first ever concert when I was 13)

7/31/1997 - Great Woods/Tweeter Center(performing Quad without Billy Midol or Gary Glitter but PJ Proby and some other guy)

7/27/2002 - Great Woods/Tweeter Center

GO FOR IT!

I think you should go as the chances of seeing these bands diminish every year.

I'm going to see them on the 11th of July and can't wait.

Just to reinforce what I said in my Oxegen review, I saw them on Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pete is playing electric guitar (but not the main lead as far as I could see), Roger is still swinging the mic like a mad bastard (albeit a very well dressed one) and the quality of musicianship from the other musicians is top notch.

Theres A rumour that The Who, The Stones and Aerosmith are playing Halifax. If they are, i'm sure as hell going. Even though Keith and John arent there, this would probably be the ONLY time EVER in my life to see them, so I might aswell go.

I dont look at it like "Keith and John arent there" I see it as "Roger and Pete are still there". Plus, i love The Who.

OK, forget what I said above. I just read an article about the Who, and apparently they've sounded more energized on this tour than they have since before Keith Moon died. And apparently the new material is actually good...and they're also adding lots of rarely played songs to their set, including A Quick One While He's Away and The Relay. I say go for it. Out of all the latter-day Who tours, with the possible exception of the 1996 Quadrophenia tour, this might be the best one.

Archived