Lost-great show or major addiction?

Quyn

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ May 24 2010, 01:31 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 24 2010, 02:30 AM)
Hmmm, Christian seemed to indicate that these people all found each other because the time they spent together was so important.  If that's the case, then it wouldn't make sense that they all died in the initial plane crash, as they wouldn't have known each other then and would have made their reunions with each other impossible or meaningless.  So maybe they DID die when the bomb went off, if not prior to that (Boone, Shannon, Libby, etc.)? confused13.gif

They died, when they died. Everything that happened was real(except the flash sideways.) That's why Ben said to Hurley, "You were a great number 1." Both of them stayed on the island and protected it. They all continued their lives.

They just showed you the point of view from Jack's death.

Clearly I will have to watch this last episode again. Or maybe just the last 15 minutes. Or I need to think about it until my brain hurts and it finally all clicks.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all left to speculate forever.

Were they dead from the moment the plane crashed?

I would say no, otherwise nothing else makes any sense.

I believe they were on the island after the crash, but they all died there at various points. I think when they all made there peace in life they were ready to move on, and not before the, That's why Jack was the last to have a clue what was happening. That's my best guess.

I believe Ben being guilt ridden for many reasons was not ready to cross over yet. He stayed out because it was not yet his time to pass over.

In the end, I don't think we will ever fully understand the mystery and significance of the island. From the man in Black to Jacob, to the Darma initiative, I would say many questions I have will never be answered.

I will say the title of the show was quite fitting because after 6 years of my life, I very much am still Lost.

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 24 2010, 01:33 AM)
Great ending....... the flash-sideways being the afterlife and all........touching..

Jack and Smokey die, but what a final confrontation! I like that Hurley became the leader of the island with Ben for a number of years before Joining everybody else in the "flash-afterlife"

and presumably those who got off on the plane went on to live out the rest of their lives as well........ very great....so happy with the ending.

Amazing how many people are screwing this up even after watching it. I've seen posts on FB from my friends saying "so they were dead all along??" Sigh. tongue.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 24 2010, 07:03 AM)
I believe they were on the island after the crash, but they all died there at various points. I think when they all made there peace in life they were ready to move on, and not before the, That's why Jack was the last to have a clue what was happening. That's my best guess.
I believe Ben being guilt ridden for many reasons was not ready to cross over yet. He stayed out because it was not yet his time to pass over.

In the end, I don't think we will ever fully understand the mystery and significance of the island. From the man in Black to Jacob, to the Darma initiative, I would say many questions I have will never be answered.

I will say the title of the show was quite fitting because after 6 years of my life, I very much am still Lost.

Read what signals1982 has said. That is what happened. They died in real time on the island or years later. The flash sideways was simply their post-life limbo. Them meeting up with one another in the after life. The funeral sequence is merely their post-life reunion after the last of them have died. That may be 70s years later, who knows? We don't know the details of their deaths. Sawyer, Kate, Claire, Lapidus, etc. all went back to the mainland and likely lived normal length lives. Jack died on the island as shown. Hurley died at some point watching the island, then Ben took over...and also eventually died. Perhaps he died before Hurley, it's not stated. Locke died with Ben killed him a couple seasons back, Jin and Sun drowned as shown, etc. They all either died as shown or died in the years following this "last episode."

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 24 2010, 08:12 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ May 24 2010, 01:33 AM)
Great ending....... the flash-sideways being the afterlife and all........touching..

Jack and Smokey die, but what a final confrontation!  I like that Hurley became the leader of the island with Ben for a number of years before Joining everybody else in the "flash-afterlife"

and presumably those who got off on the plane went on to live out the rest of their lives as well........ very great....so happy with the ending.

Amazing how many people are screwing this up even after watching it. I've seen posts on FB from my friends saying "so they were dead all along??" Sigh. tongue.gif

I think for some the last shot of the smoking airplane led some to that conclusion.

That scenario would have rendered the entire series senseless so that was not the case.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 24 2010, 08:19 AM)

Read what signals1982 has said. That is what happened. They died in real time on the island or years later. The flash sideways was simply their post-life limbo. Them meeting up with one another in the after life. The funeral sequence is merely their post-life reunion after the last of them have died. That may be 70s years later, who knows? We don't know the details of their deaths. Sawyer, Kate, Claire, Lapidus, etc. all went back to the mainland and likely lived normal length lives. Jack died on the island as shown. Hurley died at some point watching the island, then Ben took over...and also eventually died. Perhaps he died before Hurley, it's not stated. Locke died with Ben killed him a couple seasons back, Jin and Sun drowned as shown, etc. They all either died as shown or died in the years following this "last episode."

yeah, I understand what your saying and it makes perfect sense.

The mysteries of the island on the other hand will remain as such.

QUOTE (tick @ May 24 2010, 07:23 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 24 2010, 08:19 AM)

yeah, I understand what your saying and it makes perfect sense.

The mysteries of the island on the other hand will remain as such.

That's exactly right. The island was working it's magic long before Jacob and The Man In Black's "mother" became its caretaker (her origin and what begat her taking care of the island isn't explained. Has it already been going on for decades before Jacob? Centuries??)...and we're left to presume it's still out there today and tomorrow and a hundred years from now, being watched by someone after Jack, Hurley...Ben, etc. We were just given a window into how this island affected this ONE group of people...and how that island brought them together, both during life and afterward.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Still waiting for a physics explanation as to how one turns a wheel and makes an island disappear...

QUOTE (RushNut @ May 24 2010, 07:55 AM)
Still waiting for a physics explanation as to how one turns a wheel and makes an island disappear...

I'm still waiting for physics explanation in Star Wars too, like how a light saber can actually contain a beam of concentrated light...or how there is fire in space...or noise...etc.

Snore.

Assuming a light saber would incorporate a kind of laser beam technology, could the saber have a tip, since light waves don't just stop but keep going? Such a device is more likely to bore a hole through the living room furniture than function like a luminous sword. Also, following the physical rules set up by the Star Wars movies, a genuine light saber would cast a shadow, which laser beams can't do.

Next is the "saber" or sword-like quality desired of such a weapon. We all remember the sights and sounds of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader's clashing swordplay with sharp clarity. Could that be reproduced with laser beams?

Well, no, it can't. Any slightly plausible design would have serious usability flaws, like a reliable power source for the super-hot lasers, the incorporation of cumbersome refraction devices to regulate the laser intensity, and the need to avoid any and all reflective surfaces.

If the flash-sideways was limbo, why does Jack suddenly have a son? Why make Juliet his ex-wife? Were all the characters in the flash-sideways working to atone for whatever they needed to atone for before they woke up to the truth of their reality (that they were dead)? If that's true, not all the characters seemed to come to any great resolution other than that they just remembered. Charlie was worse than ever, Kate was still a fugitive, Sayid was still a killer, etc. And why give Jack a son?

Is it that just somehow they forgave themselves for any sin they had done, like as in it meaning a great deal to Benjamin that John forgave him, even if they made no real change? If this is true, I definitely have the watch the last season again, as I don't see how it all fits yet at all...

Okay, please bear with me here, because I didn't watch the show after the first few episodes of season 1, and the last five minutes.

All I want to know is what happened to the dog. Was he dead too? He lay down next to the one guy, who then presumably died, but what about the dog himself?

QUOTE (Mara @ May 24 2010, 09:10 AM)
Okay, please bear with me here, because I didn't watch the show after the first few episodes of season 1, and the last five minutes.

All I want to know is what happened to the dog. Was he dead too? He lay down next to the one guy, who then presumably died, but what about the dog himself?

Not to worry, Vincent is fetching sticks for Ben & Hurley.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 24 2010, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ May 24 2010, 09:10 AM)

All I want to know is what happened to the dog.  Was he dead too?  He lay down next to the one guy, who then presumably died, but what about the dog himself?

Not to worry, Vincent is fetching sticks for Ben & Hurley.

lol...this. I'm guessing he was just comforting Jack in his waning moments, as animals often do. wink.gif