Lost-great show or major addiction?

Quyn

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Jun 5 2010, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 31 2010, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ May 30 2010, 11:23 PM)
I'm an impatient man. Now that lost is finished, I was finally going to watch it. I watched my first full episode of Lost when Rick came to visit in early May. It was the 2nd last show before the finale. The one when we find out how the MIB became the smoke monster. Before that I never watched Lost.

That being said, knowing that there are a lot of questions that remain unanswered, I don't think I will bother watching it all. I'm not looking for the big answers, like what was the source of the light light in the cave. What were it's origin, or who created it, etc.... I can accept that there are things in life that are bigger than I am, and I will never know the answers to. Those are the questions I want answered. I mean answers like what was the name of the MIB that sorta thing. Apparently there seems to be many unanswered questions like that. I would hate watching 6 years worth of a TV show, only to be left hanging without the answer to the mundane stuff.

I'm actually kinda glad I never watched it. I was sorta annoyed with the ambiguous finale that David Chase gave us at the end of the Sopranos.

From reading everyone's words about the Lost finale, it is a great deal more ambiguous than the Sopranos ever was.

just my 35 cents. confused13.gif

Just watch the show and judge for yourself .....since when do you based your opinion on what others are saying? confused13.gif

Watch the first show and take it from there.

From what I can tell a majority of people liked the ending. Everybody I know who watches the show liked it. Those who are so hung up on the mysteries just don't get it...it is all about the characters and their stories on this show.

Reflecting back on the series it almost seems like an anthology type show yet there is a running main story going on if that makes any sense. Like little Twilight Zone-like episodes that make up a mosaic of mysteries and revelations that are part of the main, bigger story. Each episode had its own little story if you will yet it all ties in with the main story of the series. For example the episode we watched (Across The Sea) seemed like a story in of itself. Another example is the story of Nikki and Paulo (Season 3). That episode seemed like it had absolutely nothing to do with the whole show and yet it really does.

The MIB's name is Samuel....this will be revealed on the DVD. Also apparently some of the mysteries may be cleared up on the DVD as well...

I don't listen to people, but is there a lot left unanswered? I'm not talking about the big questions. Question like the meaning of life and why are we all here, but question like the MIB's name, which you have answered.

I believe it was you that said that the creators stated that there will be many unanswered questions. I believe there were polar bears on the island. It will kill me if they don't explain how the hell they got there. Those are the types of unanswered question that will annoy the snot out of me. Regardless of quality, something like that will totally ruin it for me. You know I'm a bit of an ass when it comes to things like that.

Whether the show is good or not is subjective. Whether or not they leave me the viewer with a bunch of unanswered question is absolute fact. That's what is important to me before I invest my time into watching 6 years of a television show.

For example Supernatural which you know I am a huge fan of, resolves all it's big questions. I believe it to be an awesome show that leaves me satisfied.

I believe there were polar bears on the island. It will kill me if they don't explain how the hell they got there.

That question has been answered. The Dharma Initiative brought them to the island. Remember when they had Sawyer and Kate locked up in those zoo cages while they tried to get Jack to perform spinal surgery on Ben? Sawyer figured out how to work the food dispenser in his cage and it dispensed fish biscuits. That sounds like polar bear food to me.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 6 2010, 06:35 AM)
I'm an impatient man. Now that lost is finished, I was finally going to watch it. I watched my first full episode of Lost when Rick came to visit in early May. It was the 2nd last show before the finale. The one when we find out how the MIB became the smoke monster. Before that I never watched Lost.

That being said, knowing that there are a lot of questions that remain unanswered, I don't think I will bother watching it all. I'm not looking for the big answers, like what was the source of the light light in the cave. What were it's origin, or who created it, etc.... I can accept that there are things in life that are bigger than I am, and I will never know the answers to. Those are the questions I want answered. I mean answers like what was the name of the MIB that sorta thing. Apparently there seems to be many unanswered questions like that. I would hate watching 6 years worth of a TV show, only to be left hanging without the answer to the mundane stuff.

I'm actually kinda glad I never watched it. I was sorta annoyed with the ambiguous finale that David Chase gave us at the end of the Sopranos.

From reading everyone's words about the Lost finale, it is a great deal more ambiguous than the Sopranos ever was.

Just watch the show and judge for yourself .....since when do you based your opinion on what others are saying? confused13.gif

From what I can tell a majority of people liked the ending. Everybody I know who watches the show liked it. Those who are so hung up on the mysteries just don't get it...it is all about the characters and their stories on this show.

Reflecting back on the series it almost seems like an anthology type show yet there is a running main story going on if that makes any sense. Like little Twilight Zone-like episodes that make up a mosaic of mysteries and revelations that are part of the main, bigger story. Each episode had its own little story if you will yet it all ties in with the main story of the series. For example the episode we watched (Across The Sea) seemed like a story in of itself. Another example is the story of Nikki and Paulo (Season 3). That episode seemed like it had absolutely nothing to do with the whole show and yet it really does.

The MIB's name is Samuel....this will be revealed on the DVD. Also apparently some of the mysteries may be cleared up on the DVD as well...

I don't listen to people, but is there a lot left unanswered? I'm not talking about the big questions. Question like the meaning of life and why are we all here, but question like the MIB's name, which you have answered.

I believe it was you that said that the creators stated that there will be many unanswered questions. I believe there were polar bears on the island. It will kill me if they don't explain how the hell they got there. Those are the types of unanswered question that will annoy the snot out of me. Regardless of quality, something like that will totally ruin it for me. You know I'm a bit of an ass when it comes to things like that.

Whether the show is good or not is subjective. Whether or not they leave me the viewer with a bunch of unanswered question is absolute fact. That's what is important to me before I invest my time into watching 6 years of a television show.

For example Supernatural which you know I am a huge fan of, resolves all it's big questions. I believe it to be an awesome show that leaves me satisfied.

I believe there were polar bears on the island. It will kill me if they don't explain how the hell they got there.

That question has been answered. The Dharma Initiative brought them to the island. Remember when they had Sawyer and Kate locked up in those zoo cages while they tried to get Jack to perform spinal surgery on Ben? Sawyer figured out how to work the food dispenser in his cage and it dispensed fish biscuits. That sounds like polar bear food to me.

Nice spoiler alert for the guy who hasn't watched the show....yet. laugh.gif

He will.

I have only watched one episode laugh.gif

When Testy came home for a visit we watched the second last show, when that lady killed Jacob and MIB's mother. The smoke monster origin too.

Glad to know why they had polar bears though. thanks Jack laugh.gif trink39.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Jun 6 2010, 04:59 PM)

When Testy came home for a visit we watched the second last show, when that lady killed Jacob and MIB's mother. The smoke monster origin too.

Glad to know why they had polar bears though. thanks Jack laugh.gif trink39.gif wink.gif

Oh damn! Terribly sorry.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 6 2010, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Jun 6 2010, 04:59 PM)

Oh damn! Terribly sorry.

No need to appologize. I'm the type of person that reads spoilers before he sees the movies or shows. So you definitely didn't ruin it for me. trink39.gif

There's supposed to be an epilogue type of thing on the DVD for season 6...... we still might get some answers........

While I loved the finale and the series as a whole there are a few things that annoyed me that were left unanswered.

LOST UNANSWERED QUESTIONS (no particular order)

1. The DHARMA pallet drop

- In season 2 in the episodes "Lockdown" and "Dave" a pallet drop full of DHARMA initiative food was delivered to the island....... 13 years after the others had eliminated the DI in the "Purge".....why and who made the pallet drop, especially when the Dharma Initiative were all dead.....

- My Theory: I think this one is pretty easy to explain..... we know there is a time difference when things come to the island...... in "The Constant" when Sayid and Desmond fly to the freighter on the chopper...they go from dusk to dawn...... there is a weird thing that happens there, we know they have to follow a specific compass bearing to do this........ what if the Dharma messed up with one of their deliveries....... say the Dharma sent that pallet drop from the mainland while the Dharma Initiative was still on the island, but did not follow the right compass bearing......... and that pallet drop arrived.......VERY VERY late........say when our losties where on the island....

2. Walt

- Walt had to be dropped from the story due to the growth spurt his actor had during season 2......and the mysteries surrounding him, like his powers appearing where he was not supposed to be, the room 23 thing, and whatever the others got from him........all left unanswered

- I cannot theorize on this, but supposedly Malcom David Kelly (Walt) did film some scenes this season that did not make it to air, and is supposedly going to be featured on the DVD for s6....so we might get these answers

3. The Outrigger shootout

- In season 5 "The Little Prince" when Juliet, Locke, Sawyer, Miles, and Charlotte are traveling through the time flashes, on their way back to the Orchid station they steal some outrigger boats and start sailing to fix the time skips.......along the way they are being shot at by another outrigger full of mysterious people before time flashing again....... I assumed we would see the other side of that fire fight this season... and we knew it was after the Ajira flight had crashed (The time traveling losties found the Ajira water bottles), but we never did...

- My Theory: It was something that happened off screen........ I think when Ilana, Bram, several redshirts, and an unconsious Frank were going to the main island in the season 5 finale they encountered the time traveling losties and started shooting...... Juliet did shoot someone when we saw the scene earlier in the season......probably one of the redshirts.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 9 2010, 06:18 PM)
Has anyone check out that new show Persons Unknown? It looks like a ripoff of Lost; I've been hearing good reviews on this show and was wondering if it is worth checking out...

http://www.personsunknown.com/

Kind of a LOST feel, seems more like a ripoff of the Saw films than anything else.

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 30 2010, 11:06 PM)
Alot of people are pissed off because the lack of answers the finale and the rest of season 6 gave........... and to me to watch a show for the answers is a way of cheating a VERY good story.....

Most shows do not have the character development that Lost has... Hell it's hard to find a serialized drama at all......... or a drama that is not a cop, or medical drama...

I seriously reccomend LOST to anyone........ it is the best character study of the past 20 years....... the back drop just happens to be this weird ass island with it's mysteries........ but the show is not about the mysteries....it's about the characters and the relationships they have with each other.......

MMFM.......... I seriously reccomend going back to season 1 and watching the show.....

BTW Owl I meant to thank you for this post. It's thoughtful and insightful. trink39.gif

When I joined I was very glad to see this forum had at least one thread about Lost, to say I'm a huge fan of the show is an understatement.

QUOTE (The Owl)

- In season 5 "The Little Prince" when Juliet, Locke, Sawyer, Miles, and Charlotte are traveling through the time flashes, on their way back to the Orchid station they steal some outrigger boats and start sailing to fix the time skips.......along the way they are being shot at by another outrigger full of mysterious people before time flashing again....... I assumed we would see the other side of that fire fight this season... and we knew it was after the Ajira flight had crashed (The time traveling losties found the Ajira water bottles), but we never did...

- My Theory:  It was something that happened off screen........  I think when Ilana, Bram, several redshirts, and an unconsious Frank were going to the main island in the season 5 finale they encountered the time traveling losties and started shooting......  Juliet did shoot someone when we saw the scene earlier in the season......probably one of the redshirts.

For what it's worth, I was also very interested in having the outrigger shootout resolved, but the writers have spoken on that issue:

Okay, finally, I have to ask, simply because it's been driving me nuts for a year and a half: what's going on with showing the other half of the outrigger shootout?

CC: The outrigger shootout is not something we're bending around in gyrations so we can solve it. In the grand scheme of the show, that is a fairly obscure piece of the show. It is your particular obsession...

DL: ...and you're not alone in it.

CC: You're not alone in it. And yes, it would have been great if we had had the opportunity to close the time loop. But you can't get everything done and keeping the narrative going in a straight line. This is one of those things where we made a very conscious choice to ask, "What are the big questions? And most importantly, what are the paths of these characters? Where do they lead?" And we followed those paths and tried not to trip ourselves up getting too diverted from that. We felt that that's the thing that's ultimately going to make the finale work or not work. We got to the point where we made the finale we wanted to make, that was our approach, and I think it was the only approach we could take. We sat here in my office, had breakfast every day for six years, talked about the show, and we used this gut check methodology, where if we both loved something and thought it was cool, that would go in. We applied that same methodology to the finale, and that was the only way we could do it. We came up with a finale that we thought was cool, that was emotional and one we really liked. That's the best we could do.

DL: When we wrote that scene and somebody started shooting at them, we knew exactly who was shooting at them. That is not a dangling thread that we don't know the answer to. That being said, as we started talking about paying that off this season, it felt like the episode was at the service of closing the time loop, as opposed to what the characters might actually be doing in that scenario. It never felt organic. We decided we would rather take our lumps from the people who couldn't scratch that itch than to produce an episode that was in service of putting people in an outrigger and getting shot at.

You put people in a lot of outriggers this season. It feels, frankly, like you're taunting me.

DL: We can't entirely deny that we're taunting you.

CC: Honestly, though, the logistics of getting all the participants in the outriggers in the configuration that was on the A-side of the time loop was actually really daunting.

DL: Considering half of them had been killed off

CC: It's not like we didn't want to do it. Like Damon says, it was just too much of a narrative deviation to do it.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-wat...-across-the-sea

The good news, though, is that they have said that the other two issues you brought up, Walt and the food drops, among others, will be explored on the DVDs bonus footage.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 7 2010, 02:50 PM)
There's supposed to be an epilogue type of thing on the DVD for season 6...... we still might get some answers........

While I loved the finale and the series as a whole there are a few things that annoyed me that were left unanswered.

LOST UNANSWERED QUESTIONS (no particular order)

1. The DHARMA pallet drop

- In season 2 in the episodes "Lockdown" and "Dave" a pallet drop full of DHARMA initiative food was delivered to the island....... 13 years after the others had eliminated the DI in the "Purge".....why and who made the pallet drop, especially when the Dharma Initiative were all dead.....

- My Theory: I think this one is pretty easy to explain..... we know there is a time difference when things come to the island...... in "The Constant" when Sayid and Desmond fly to the freighter on the chopper...they go from dusk to dawn...... there is a weird thing that happens there, we know they have to follow a specific compass bearing to do this........ what if the Dharma messed up with one of their deliveries....... say the Dharma sent that pallet drop from the mainland while the Dharma Initiative was still on the island, but did not follow the right compass bearing......... and that pallet drop arrived.......VERY VERY late........say when our losties where on the island....

2. Walt

- Walt had to be dropped from the story due to the growth spurt his actor had during season 2......and the mysteries surrounding him, like his powers appearing where he was not supposed to be, the room 23 thing, and whatever the others got from him........all left unanswered
- I cannot theorize on this, but supposedly Malcom David Kelly (Walt) did film some scenes this season that did not make it to air, and is supposedly going to be featured on the DVD for s6....so we might get these answers

- My Theory: It was something that happened off screen........ I think when Ilana, Bram, several redshirts, and an unconsious Frank were going to the main island in the season 5 finale they encountered the time traveling losties and started shooting...... Juliet did shoot someone when we saw the scene earlier in the season......probably one of the redshirts.

The epilogue was leaked.....found it on-line.....

Don't click if you want to wait for the DVD....SPOILER

http://videogum.com/209692/the-full-12-min...bonus-features/

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 6 2010, 09:47 PM)

ohmy.gif WOW, that was awesome.

One of the best shows to ever be on television. I need to watch the whole thing over again.

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Aug 7 2010, 01:14 AM)

One of the best shows to ever be on television. I need to watch the whole thing over again.

It says content was removed... unsure.gif

QUOTE (neil#2 @ Aug 7 2010, 01:40 AM)

Wow that was quick...was working a few hours ago eh.gif

Sorry bout that.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 7 2010, 01:57 AM)
QUOTE (neil#2 @ Aug 7 2010, 01:40 AM)

Wow that was quick...was working a few hours ago eh.gif

Sorry bout that.

K found it again...watch it quick before it disappears again tongue.gif

nevermind...it was only first few minutes of it eh.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 17 2010, 06:42 PM)
Anyone watching any other cliff-hang fueled series at the moment? I'm refusing to watch V, I've heard nothing good about it and it looks lame as well..

But yes, I would appreciate a recommendation biggrin.gif

V ain't bad; it isn't great, either IMO. It slooowly grew on me.

Check out Persons Unknown for a "cliffhangerish" show. It's on NBC on Saturdays. I believe it's a 13-episode mini-series. It tries to ride the Lost vibe to a degree.

Picked up the season 6 Blu-Ray today!

And just a heads up to those still yet to buy....... apparently there was a pretty bad f**k up with Best Buy and the "exclusive bonus disc" that comes with the Blu-Ray and DVD if you buy it from there...

The bonus disc is supposed to contain 4 small featuretts that are printed on the sleeve that it comes in, but for some reason if you get the Blu-Ray (I don't think the DVD version has this delightful mistake) version the best buy bonus disc, instead of coming with the features advertised, it comes with MOST of the features that come with the exclusive disc from the Complete collection............ Which is much better than what is advertised on the Sleeve best buy put on! The extra disc is not a blu-ray disc but a standard DVD, but for the extra features you're getting, who cares.

It won't be long before this mistake is corrected, so get your season blu-rays quickly, and from Best Buy.

Edited by The Owl

Looking back, what were the best seasons?

I'd say that seasons 2 and 3 were terrible due to their sluggish pace, and I didn't like six simply because it all lead up to an unsatisfying, confusing ending..

Seasons 1 and 5 all the way.