Albert Pujols Appreciation Thread

rushgoober

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 12 2009, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 12 2009, 01:02 PM)
I hope he plays his entire career in St. Louis, a great organization with an awesome history, a big "baseball town."  It'd be great if he became the face of the team for an entire generation, like Shoendienst or Musial.

Oh I agree, I think St. Louis is an infinitely better baseball town than New York is. Or Boston for that matter.

Here's to hoping that Pujols never sells out. trink39.gif

I didn't say "better." I'm a New Yorker. tongue.gif Equally good. New York, Boston, and St. Louis are all big baseball towns with knowledgeable fans and long, great histories.

Even though I'm a Yankee fan, I think Pujols should stay with St. Louis; I wish more players stayed with one team, but it's very rare today. I'm thinking of players like the aforementioned Musial, Ted Williams and Yaz with Boston, Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken with Baltimore, DiMaggio and Mantle with New York, etc. They became identified with the ballclub because of their longevity and because they stayed on the same team for their entire careers; they became the "face" of their team.

I think Derek Jeter may be like that. I like that the Yankees gave him one of the few low-digit uniform numbers they had; it sort of shows that they intended to keep him a long time, maybe make him a lifetime Yankee.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly.....New York and Boston (along with Philly) are ALL-sports towns when you get right down to it. I have seen NY fans getting behind the Giants and Knicks (when they are good) just as much as I have the Yankees. Boston has had the benefit of having all 3 of their major sports winning a championship this decade, and they are rabid fans for all of them, seems like less so for football though.

But cities like St. Louis and Cincinnati? They LOVE their baseball there, and really nothing else (support for the Rams and Bengals just doesn't hold a candle to that for the Cards and Reds).

I don't live in these cities (I have visited all 5 mentioned) so this is mainly my view from afar.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 12 2009, 01:59 PM)
Honestly.....New York and Boston (along with Philly) are ALL-sports towns when you get right down to it. I have seen NY fans getting behind the Giants and Knicks (when they are good) just as much as I have the Yankees. Boston has had the benefit of having all 3 of their major sports winning a championship this decade, and they are rabid fans for all of them, seems like less so for football though.

But cities like St. Louis and Cincinnati? They LOVE their baseball there, and really nothing else (support for the Rams and Bengals just doesn't hold a candle to that for the Cards and Reds).

I don't live in these cities (I have visited all 5 mentioned) so this is mainly my view from afar.

I'm not considering whether the city has ONLY a baseball team or teams from SEVERAL sports; that doesn't enter into it, in my opinion. I don't call those cities "baseball towns" because baseball is the only sport they have and they enjoy it.

Sure, Boston (for example) is rabid for ALL their sports teams - Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Pats - but I'm thinking of how long and notable their baseball team's history is, and how knowledgeable their fans are. In that respect, New York, Boston, and St. Louis (and maybe Chicago, Philly, and Cincinnati) are all big "baseball towns." They are some of the oldest and most storied teams in MLB, and in addition to the longevity and historical aspects of their old teams, all of them have also had a lot of Hall-of-Famers and quirky characters in their pasts. There's something unique and special about New York, Boston, and St. Louis which San Diego, Seattle, Arizona, Colorado, etc. will probably never have.

when his contract is up st. louis will make him the highest paid player in baseball and unlike Me-rod he hits in the clutch

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 11 2009, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 9 2009, 01:08 AM)
I hope he's clean.

Hope is right.....can't say I would be shocked if he wasn't though. eh.gif

me neither.........not sure about him.......

Was thinking this morning that Pujols could become a Triple Crown winner one of these years, the first since Yaz in '67.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 13 2009, 07:05 AM)
Was thinking this morning that Pujols could become a Triple Crown winner one of these years, the first since Yaz in '67.

He's got a slight chance this year though it will be tough. Currently he is tied for 3rd in hitting (.327) behind Hanley Ramirez (.351)...already got the lead in homers and ribbies.

edited to say actually tied for 3rd

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 13 2009, 06:21 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 13 2009, 07:05 AM)

He's got a slight chance this year though it will be tough. Currently he is tied for 3rd in hitting (.327) behind Hanley Ramirez (.351)...already got the lead in homers and ribbies.

edited to say actually tied for 3rd

It's such a relief when what I say gets validated as "true" or at least "possible." I'm so glad when I haven't caused another "You don't know what you're talking about!" response. laugh.gif

I know very little about sports other than baseball, and even my baseball comments are often simple or naive.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 13 2009, 04:05 AM)

I've been watching Pujols stats recently, and he's got a real shot at it this year if he does well in the last few weeks of the season.

Right now his average is .315. The league leader is at .325, but there ARE 4 people ahead of him. That said, .315 is a good bit below is career average of .332, and he has been doing really well the last 2-3 weeks. He could gain those 10 points and more easily with a good run.

He's tied for most home runs in the NL with 31 along with Adam Dunn, and he's been on a home run tear lately after a mid-season drought.

He's in the lead with 87 RBI's, with the closest person behind him at 81.

Ok, so in the lead with RBI's, tied for home runs and .010 point off in average. This is not outside the realm of possibility. I'm amazed actually as he was having a pretty weak season (by his standards) earlier on. If he keeps being consistent, you never know...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 20 2010, 08:17 AM)
As I type this, Albert Pujols is a top ten player of all-time. There hasn't been a hitter like him since the days of Musial and DiMaggio and Williams and Gehrig. He's that good.

I remember when La Russa went to the Cards he said that Albert is the greatest natural hitter that he has ever seen in his life.

That says a lot.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 20 2010, 11:17 AM)
As I type this, Albert Pujols is a top ten player of all-time. There hasn't been a hitter like him since the days of Musial and DiMaggio and Williams and Gehrig. He's that good.

and he is smart enough to not getting caught for taking steroids. biggrin.gif

We've got a case of Pujols worship in our house. Husband grew up in St. Louis and lives and bleeds Cardinal red. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 20 2010, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 20 2010, 11:17 AM)
As I type this, Albert Pujols is a top ten player of all-time.  There hasn't been a hitter like him since the days of Musial and DiMaggio and Williams and Gehrig.  He's that good.

and he is smart enough to not getting caught for taking steroids. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, one can't help but think this. Also, he's from the Dominican Republic, so there's also a chance he's lying about his age. Anyway, it's all speculation and conjecture. Until, and only if, something is proved he's one of the greatest hitters of all-time.

Did you guys see Omar Infante's big day in Cubland?

Jesus! I picked up Omar last week in Fantasy and the dude is off the hook!

Two bombs today! Not bad for a lead off hitter.

Heyward was off the charts too.

Damn this is a fun time of the year for baseball.

Glad King Albert and the boyz took care of the floundering Giants!!

Yes! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 18 2010, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 13 2009, 04:05 AM)

I've been watching Pujols stats recently, and he's got a real shot at it this year if he does well in the last few weeks of the season.

Right now his average is .315. The league leader is at .325, but there ARE 4 people ahead of him. That said, .315 is a good bit below is career average of .332, and he has been doing really well the last 2-3 weeks. He could gain those 10 points and more easily with a good run.

He's tied for most home runs in the NL with 31 along with Adam Dunn, and he's been on a home run tear lately after a mid-season drought.

He's in the lead with 87 RBI's, with the closest person behind him at 81.

Ok, so in the lead with RBI's, tied for home runs and .010 point off in average. This is not outside the realm of possibility. I'm amazed actually as he was having a pretty weak season (by his standards) earlier on. If he keeps being consistent, you never know...

Well, now Albert's still leading in home runs and RBI's and he's only 1 percentage point behind Votto for average.

Admittedly, Pujols is on a tear lately (his average has climbed 23 or 24 points in the last 2-3 weeks), but even if he slows down he still has a more than fair chance at the triple crown. Joey Votto, who is currently ahead in average, is close to Pujols in home runs and RBI's, so he also could potentially pull it off as well if he stays consistent and Pujols slows down.

Go Albert!