Albert Pujols Appreciation Thread

rushgoober

I would appreciate it if Albert would not hit any homers in the next two games! wink.gif biggrin.gif

I'll be down at the game tonight, should be a good series with the Reds and Cards now tied for first. I'm a huge Reds fan but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Albert in action. Any other forum members in the area that want to meet up for the game just PM me. We are probably meeting around 5:00 at The Hofbrauhaus in Newport. trink39.gif

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albert Pujols became the fastest player in major league history to reach 19 home runs. Pujols reached the milestone in his 37th game, beating Mickey Mantle in 1956 and Luis Gonzalez of the Diamondbacks in 2001, by three games.

His stats after 37 games (he missed one) are astounding:

2006: 36 G, 42 Hits, 39 Runs, 47 RBI's, 19 HR, AVG .341, OBP .478 SLG .854

The guy is practically half way to 100 RBI's in 37 games! Not to mention he's averaging around 1 home run every two games. We'll see if he can keep up this pace (he's already slowed down a LITTLE), but even if he slows down a good bit, he's still playing one of the best seasons ever. This guy is on fire. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 14 2006, 08:36 AM)
Albert Pujols became the fastest player in major league history to reach 19 home runs. Pujols reached the milestone in his 37th game, beating Mickey Mantle in 1956 and Luis Gonzalez of the Diamondbacks in 2001, by three games.

The guy is practically half way to 100 RBI's in 37 games! Not to mention he's averaging around 1 home run every two games. We'll see if he can keep up this pace (he's already slowed down a LITTLE), but even if he slows down a good bit, he's still playing one of the best seasons ever. This guy is on fire. yes.gif

You HAVE to figure that Pujols is bound to slow down, because with these stats:

If you project these out as the pace for the rest of the season, he winds up with the highest ever single season home run total (83), the highest ever single season RBI total (205) and the 2nd highest single season run total (in the modern era 1900-on) (170).

This would be impossible, right? ph34r.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 14 2006, 11:44 AM)
Albert Pujols became the fastest player in major league history to reach 19 home runs.  Pujols reached the milestone in his 37th game, beating Mickey Mantle in 1956 and Luis Gonzalez of the Diamondbacks in 2001, by three games.

The guy is practically half way to 100 RBI's in 37 games!  Not to mention he's averaging around 1 home run every two games.  We'll see if he can keep up this pace (he's already slowed down a LITTLE), but even if he slows down a good bit, he's still playing one of the best seasons ever.  This guy is on fire. yes.gif

If you project these out as the pace for the rest of the season, he winds up with the highest ever single season home run total (83), the highest ever single season RBI total (205) and the 2nd highest single season run total (in the modern era 1900-on) (170).

The average will stay about the same, I think. Pujols isn't obsessed with homers, and RBIs are dependent on others in the lineup getting on base. The homer rate will not continue. Batting average will stay near there. As I've said before, Pujols never slumps. He doesn't hit .400 every week, but he never goes 0 for 20.

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 14 2006, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 14 2006, 11:44 AM)
Albert Pujols became the fastest player in major league history to reach 19 home runs.  Pujols reached the milestone in his 37th game, beating Mickey Mantle in 1956 and Luis Gonzalez of the Diamondbacks in 2001, by three games.

The guy is practically half way to 100 RBI's in 37 games!  Not to mention he's averaging around 1 home run every two games.  We'll see if he can keep up this pace (he's already slowed down a LITTLE), but even if he slows down a good bit, he's still playing one of the best seasons ever.  This guy is on fire. yes.gif

The average will stay about the same, I think. Pujols isn't obsessed with homers, and RBIs are dependent on others in the lineup getting on base. The homer rate will not continue. Batting average will stay near there. As I've said before, Pujols never slumps. He doesn't hit .400 every week, but he never goes 0 for 20.

I agree about the average, though I don't know about the homers. He may not be obsessed with them (I think I've read that he considers himself a line drive hitter but they often go out of the park), but I think he'll continue to hit them. I don't think he'll get to 80+ like he's on pace to, but I think he'll get an amazing amount. In terms of the RBI's, yes, it is dependent on the players that go before you, but he's on the CARDINALS! Those guys can get on base. yes.gif

Anyway, time will tell and it's exciting to watch regardless...

Edited by rushgoober

That could be a disaster for the Cards. Without the offense he brings, they may lose a few they could count on winning, especially with Carpenter having injury trouble also. The Reds have been pressuring them and now could jump into the lead. Since Houston is getting Clemens back, they may be able to make a run now also (unlikely, but possible).

Darn, I had really hoped Albert could wipe that stain that is Bonds' home run record off the books.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Jun 4 2006, 02:09 AM)
That could be a disaster for the Cards. Without the offense he brings, they may lose a few they could count on winning, especially with Carpenter having injury trouble also. The Reds have been pressuring them and now could jump into the lead. Since Houston is getting Clemens back, they may be able to make a run now also (unlikely, but possible).

Darn, I had really hoped Albert could wipe that stain that is Bonds' home run record off the books.

and Edmonds is hurting as as well...tough times ahead for the Cards...apparently Carpenter will be back shortly (perhaps next week)

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jun 12 2006, 06:48 PM)
Have you guys been hearing the talk about Pujols being mentioned in this whole Jason Grimsley fiasco? I sure would be disappointed if there was any truth to that.

You got a link for that AK?

That would be very DISAPPOINTING for baseball in general. Baseball needs All Stars like Pujols to bounce back from the 'roids bullshit not have another star involve in that mess....that would really suck

I hope Pujols is clean, he's got one of the most beautiful swings in baseball today, I could watch him hit line drives all day, it's almost an art form......the union and mlb could remove all of this doubt though by using blood testing for HGH and other substances.....

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 14 2006, 07:26 PM)
I hope Pujols is clean, he's got one of the most beautiful swings in baseball today, I could watch him hit line drives all day, it's almost an art form......the union and mlb could remove all of this doubt though by using blood testing for HGH and other substances.....

HGH is the big loophole drug now. The union does not want blood testing, period. I think this drug is very dangerous. I'm convinced that's why Giambi had a tumor in his pituitary gland.

I wouldn't be surprised if HGH was being used by much of the league right now. This bullshit isn't over yet by a longshot.