Morrissey

Quyn

I just got a chance to see Morrissey in Atlanta -- if you are a fan of his or just the Smiths, you definitely need to go. He was in rare form !

Lots of old Smiths tunes (he opened with "How soon is Now")

Excellant performance ! And for the first time in awhile, I was not the oldest person at a concert.

My brother is a huge Morrissey fan. He lives in Cleveland and is is bummed that there are no dates for Cleveland yet.

He mentioned that Morrissey had some health problems a few months ago. I'm glad to see he's doing better.

Rats, we miss out again down under it seems. I made damn sure I saw him in '02 in Oz, great great show. He just mentioned recently there would be no Smiths reunion, Johnny seemed pretty open to it as usual. Oh well. Working Man, my fave Moz is Vauxhall btw trink39.gif

Story:

When I was a mailman, I used to finish my route in the summer and then drop into Starbuck's for a cold Frappachino. One time I went in and the employees were playing Morrisey. I said, "Is this the Smiths or Morrisey?" They freaked out. "You know who Morrisey is????" They couldn't believe this "old," balding, bearded mailman knew Morrisey.

Well-deserved bumper.gif

So I've been slowly getting into Morrissey as well as The Smiths. I don't have much music by either artist, but... well, I want more. I've got The Best of Morrissey (listened several times; love it) and Vauxhall and I (heard it a few times, love it). I've also got Meat is Murder (which I've listened to a few times; listening now) and Singles (which I haven't listened to yet). Where should I go next for both?

Oh, and he's one of my top three artists that I'd go and see live no matter what.

I adore The Smiths but actually haven't heard much of Morrissey's solo material...

The only one I've listened to is 'Viva Hate' and I think it's ok.

I also have 'Your Arsenal' and 'Kill Uncle' but haven't yet listened to them.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 21 2010, 02:13 PM)
Well-deserved bumper.gif

So I've been slowly getting into Morrissey as well as The Smiths. I don't have much music by either artist, but... well, I want more. I've got The Best of Morrissey (listened several times; love it) and Vauxhall and I (heard it a few times, love it). I've also got Meat is Murder (which I've listened to a few times; listening now) and Singles (which I haven't listened to yet). Where should I go next for both?

Oh, and he's one of my top three artists that I'd go and see live no matter what.

Next for the Smiths, go for Louder Than Bombs or Best of I & Best of II. The problem with the Smiths is that they didn't actually make that much music... only a handful of original studio albums. The collections actually outnumber the studio work at this point sad.gif

Best of... II was actually the first thing that got me into the Smiths, I love it.

For solo work, I like his current stuff more than most of what he did immediately after the Smiths. Check out You Are the Quarry or Ringleader of the Tormentors. Good stuff.

I think we pretty much have everything he has done solo. I all i really like is on Bona Drag though.

I will say that he did piss me off a little when he canceled his sold out show here. i guess he has some health issues as it seems he cancels shows all the time.

it was hard to score the tickets, the gig was canceled with less than 24 hours notice ( which i recognize happens frequently ). no make-up date and not as much as a single word of an apology. my take is if you are not going to reschedule, a quick sorry goes a long way in maintaining fan good will....

and november spawned a monster are two of my faves.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 22 2010, 08:13 AM)

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (A cast-iron classic!! - no brainer).

Morrissey - Bona Drag / Your Arsenal (BD is an essential comp for early Moz - YA has a great production and rates just under Vauxhall imo).

I'm not really fond of his last few albums so can't really help you there.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 21 2010, 03:13 PM)
Well-deserved bumper.gif

I've seen the other responses, but I'm going to recommend something they haven't... the FIRST Smiths album. It's awesome!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/The_Smiths_The_Smiths.jpg

"Reel Around the Fountain"

"You've Got Everything Now"

"Miserable Lie"

"Pretty Girls Make Graves"

"The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"

"This Charming Man"

"Still Ill"

"Hand in Glove"

"What Difference Does It Make?"

"I Don't Owe You Anything"

"Suffer Little Children"

The whole album is good, but I particularly love the second side, beginning with "This Charming Man" and continuing to the end. "This Charming Man" and "Still Ill" are Smiths classics.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 23 2010, 09:14 PM)
The whole album is good, but I particularly love the second side, beginning with "This Charming Man" and continuing to the end.

Agreed, very good debut, pretty much all the way through.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jul 21 2010, 07:30 PM)
I adore The Smiths but actually haven't heard much of Morrissey's solo material...

The only one I've listened to is 'Viva Hate' and I think it's ok.
I also have 'Your Arsenal' and 'Kill Uncle' but haven't yet listened to them.

3 words for you:

Vauxhall and I

thank me later.

QUOTE (Quyn @ Oct 25 2004, 12:03 PM)
I just got a chance to see Morrissey in Atlanta -- if you are a fan of his or just the Smiths, you definitely need to go. He was in rare form !

Lots of old Smiths tunes (he opened with "How soon is Now")

Excellant performance ! And for the first time in awhile, I was not the oldest person at a concert.

not the biggest fan but as a point of interest i hail from salford manchester where morrisey was raised, i was also a member of the salford lads club which is featured on the album cover.

Archived