Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 8 2011, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 8 2011, 11:38 AM)
Enough about Portnoy. He said nothing wrong on this occasion.

Uh oh...you are asking for more Portnoy discussion, aren't you. laugh.gif

Are you hero, Lancelot tick, to King Arthur Portnoy? tongue.gif

I think think Mike is doomed no matter what he says in relation to DT. The reality is he was DT for 25 years so its an uncomfortable situation. I think his comments were certainly not controversial in any way. If he decided to rip on the band that would be different.

I think he hates the thought of DT without him, but the reality is he wouldn't be happy right now if he was with them. I truly believe that.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 8 2011, 04:35 PM)

I think think Mike is doomed no matter what he says in relation to DT. The reality is he was DT for 25 years so its an uncomfortable situation. I think his comments were certainly not controversial in any way. If he decided to rip on the band that would be different.

I think he hates the thought of DT without him, but the reality is he wouldn't be happy right now if he was with them. I truly believe that.

Here is the deal as I see it. Even though he is trying to move forward with his life, any DT discussion is holding him back. Kind of like living in the past. He has too much talent and ambition to let the DT history anchor him. He is more than that. It would be good to hear him simply say "no comment" to anything DT related.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 9 2011, 07:17 AM)
Here is the deal as I see it. Even though he is trying to move forward with his life, any DT discussion is holding him back. Kind of like living in the past. He has too much talent and ambition to let the DT history anchor him. He is more than that. It would be good to hear him simply say "no comment" to anything DT related.

Agreed.

I pretty much hate all the new shit he's been doing though unfortunately. Adrenaline Mob bores me to tears, I don't know who the hell John Sykes is and I don't care. I was actually really excited to hear the MMMLP thing he did, but that seems to have drifted off into obscurity already

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 9 2011, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 8 2011, 04:35 PM)

I understand what your saying but were all wired differently and Mike is a very emotional outspoken person in a business where sometimes that spells trouble. We are who we are. Many times I react to posts on this board like I'm a 12 year old and think to myself, what the hell am I doing?

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 8 2011, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Aug 8 2011, 07:38 AM)
It's kinda sad. Almost seems like a pity party compared to what I would have expected. It's riveting how much his attitude changed when he was suddenly dropped from A7X's payroll. I've never heard of a drummer who turned their back then acted like they were somehow screwed over in the process. Sounds a bit selfish of Mikey. And nothing positive to say about the new dream theater? He is unable to say something like "I heard it and I like it. It's not DT in my opinion, but it sounds good!" ???
Pfft... eh.gif

But you're looking at it from YOUR point of view as a complete outsider. MP is hearing the band he built for 25 years with another drummer...it's gotta be insanely heartbreaking and tough to experience, no matter what the situation was that led to MP's leaving.

He is smart for not saying anything. Everything he says gets misconstrued anyway, so he cannot win no matter what.

This is true...

No comment is the best comment he can make.

I agree that the best thing that Portnoy could have said about the new DT was nothing at all...

He didn't do a stupid thing and pull a Roger Waters and trash the new material and say "The New D.T isn't really DT because Im not in it" (Even though in RW's situation he was kind of right, MLOR can hardly be considered a "Floyd" album)

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 12 2011, 12:07 PM)
new teaser. Apparently, Roadrunner's releasing one every week til the album's release date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v​=Z4_5svB7Jpk

Glad to hear a Myung-penned song again, which sounds great, by the way. Interesting; the part from 0:41-0:49 reminds me of that section in

. (Note: Both tracks were written by Myung.)

Not into it. Sounds like a song they had since 1994.

QUOTE (Soni @ Aug 13 2011, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 13 2011, 06:10 AM)
Not into it.  Sounds like a song they had since 1994.

That dosen't have to be bad thing.

I'd rather them sound like Awake than SC

yes.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 12 2011, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 12 2011, 12:07 PM)
new teaser.  Apparently, Roadrunner's releasing one every week til the album's release date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v​=Z4_5svB7Jpk

Glad to hear a Myung-penned song again, which sounds great, by the way. Interesting; the part from 0:41-0:49 reminds me of that section in

. (Note: Both tracks were written by Myung.)

Penned.

That sample is probably the best of all so far.... Liked the full song, and the other sample...

But this new sample is the first thing that I've heard that's gotten me really excited for this album.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 16 2011, 01:21 PM)
Largely positive review in the the new Classic Rock, 7 out of 10.

They also gave Fly From Here 8 out of 10, so caveat emptor.....

Seriously? I mean, Fly From Here is okay, but I wouldn't give it anything close to an 8/10. On The Backs of Angels alone is better than the majority of that album, which is kinda sad for Yes.

Fly From Here is a 5/10 at best. An album that has moments, but really, is just there at the end of the day.

Edited by HemispheresserehpsimeH

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Aug 16 2011, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 16 2011, 01:21 PM)
Largely positive review in the the new Classic Rock, 7 out of 10.

They also gave Fly From Here 8 out of 10, so caveat emptor.....

Seriously? I mean, Fly From Here is okay, but I wouldn't give it anything close to an 8/10. On The Backs of Angels alone is better than the majority of that album, which is kinda sad for Yes.

Fly From Here is a 5/10 at best. An album that has moments, but really, is just there at the end of the day.

Yeah......a really glowing review too....not to these ears.