Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 27 2009, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Jun 27 2009, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 27 2009, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 27 2009, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Jun 27 2009, 11:06 AM)
Upon fifth listen....This album still sucks.

Hey, nice to hear. bekloppt.gif

unsure.gif

tick has turned the corner? He has seen through the plastic?

But the album doesn't really suck.

No it doesn't. But it's not what i hoped for. I hold DT to a higher standard, as they've made some magical albums. This album is just so standard.

I want to hear music, not 7 minutes a song of DT dicking around with their instruments. On Images and Words and SFAM the extended instrumental passages were smart, beautiful, and fitting. Lately on the past two albums it's just the same cliched formula of Rudess' circus keyboards, and Mike Portnoy doing mini drum solos, followed by a synth vs guitar battle. It's really just old. They should try making music, not trying to follow some predesigned archetype that they've made since they fired Moore.

Also, the experimentation with harsher vocals is just embarrassing. It's not their bag, they aren't Opeth.

You are entitled to feel that way, but on the DT boards the fans are loving the album, and thats what really matters. I love the new album, and have no problem with what you call formulaic.

There really should be the official Dream Theater whiners thread, so all you disenchanted fans can criticize and bash there recent albums as much as you like.

No offense, but I started this thread to celebrate the band, not rip them apart at every turn.

Do you prefer the most recent albums to Images and Words ? Because if you do, you and I will never agree. I liked a lot of what DT has done, but Moore was the most creative member of the band, and without him they don't write songs as well.

I know most DT fans are going to drool over the album, but these are the same people who are utter die hards and will drool over anything as long as the names of the musicians on it are the Petrucci, Rudess, Myung, and Portnoy.

And for the record, they need to let Myung write more lyrics. These lyrics are embarrassing to sing with.

Edited by Sabs89

I'll buy/download the album sometime; assuming I buy it, it's not a priority as I've got a shitload of other music I want to get.

The last 3 minutes of "The Best of Times" is my favorite part of the album.

One of the Best Petrucci solos ever, right up there with the solo in "Lines In the Sand", "The Spirit Carries On", and "Razor's Edge"

Just Beautiful.... and a great end to a beautiful song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iriXy8f5tfA...from=PL&index=7

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 28 2009, 01:11 AM)

One of the Best Petrucci solos ever, right up there with the solo in "Lines In the Sand", "The Spirit Carries On", and "Razor's Edge"

Just Beautiful.... and a great end to a beautiful song..

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

JP Rules!

QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 27 2009, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Jun 27 2009, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 27 2009, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 27 2009, 11:10 AM)

Hey, nice to hear. bekloppt.gif

unsure.gif

tick has turned the corner? He has seen through the plastic?

But the album doesn't really suck.

No it doesn't. But it's not what i hoped for. I hold DT to a higher standard, as they've made some magical albums. This album is just so standard.

I want to hear music, not 7 minutes a song of DT dicking around with their instruments. On Images and Words and SFAM the extended instrumental passages were smart, beautiful, and fitting. Lately on the past two albums it's just the same cliched formula of Rudess' circus keyboards, and Mike Portnoy doing mini drum solos, followed by a synth vs guitar battle. It's really just old. They should try making music, not trying to follow some predesigned archetype that they've made since they fired Moore.

Also, the experimentation with harsher vocals is just embarrassing. It's not their bag, they aren't Opeth.

You are entitled to feel that way, but on the DT boards the fans are loving the album, and thats what really matters. I love the new album, and have no problem with what you call formulaic.

There really should be the official Dream Theater whiners thread, so all you disenchanted fans can criticize and bash there recent albums as much as you like.

No offense, but I started this thread to celebrate the band, not rip them apart at every turn.

Do you prefer the most recent albums to Images and Words ? Because if you do, you and I will never agree. I liked a lot of what DT has done, but Moore was the most creative member of the band, and without him they don't write songs as well.

I know most DT fans are going to drool over the album, but these are the same people who are utter die hards and will drool over anything as long as the names of the musicians on it are the Petrucci, Rudess, Myung, and Portnoy.

And for the record, they need to let Myung write more lyrics. These lyrics are embarrassing to sing with.

I accept there work now, and I & W is a career masterpiece. I don't have to compare now to then, I just accept the here and now. You called the album, "utter crap" and it sure as hell is not. There is a big difference from comparing it to one of there landmark albums and labeling it utter crap ?

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 28 2009, 03:55 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 28 2009, 01:11 AM)

Just Beautiful....  and a great end to a beautiful song.. 

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

JP Rules!

unsure.gif

Lifeson rules!!! 1022.gif

BTW . . . The new T-shirts are available on the DT website.

http://www.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/...e=Dream+Theater

Tortoise 1287.gif

I've been able to devote a good deal of time to this release over the last few days. All due respect to the negative reviewers, playa haters, malcontents, and Kevin Moore jock riders...it's great. I kinda withheld defending anything until I could get familiar, but at this point I'm convinced. It's real good, and the more I listen, it gets better and better.

F K.M.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jun 28 2009, 06:25 PM)
I've been able to devote a good deal of time to this release over the last few days. All due respect to the negative reviewers, playa haters, malcontents, and Kevin Moore jock riders...it's great. I kinda withheld defending anything until I could get familiar, but at this point I'm convinced. It's real good, and the more I listen, it gets better and better.

Ditto

Really? ah crap!

. . . and We bought tickets for the MA and CT shows.

NOW, what are we going to do?

sarcasm.gif

( I know. . . I'm late )

Hey, TICK and METALDAD, looking forward to seeing you guys again. trink39.gif trink39.gif

Tortoise 1287.gif

Hey! Wannabe playa hater here.

I just picked up front row center Dream Theater tickets in San Jose.

Eat me Owl.

The new record is growing on me too! LOL

Love,

"Sigh"

PS: DON'T FORGET DREAM THEATER FANS! JAPAN HAS JUST RELEASED THE EIGHT STUDIO DT ALBUMS THIS WEEK WITH THE SHM ENCODING PROCESS! They are in jewel cases though not mini cardboard sleeves! BUMMER!

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 28 2009, 09:59 PM)

Really? ah crap!

sarcasm.gif

( I know. . . I'm late )

Hey, TICK and METALDAD, looking forward to seeing you guys again. trink39.gif trink39.gif

Tortoise 1287.gif

Can't wait. I'm very excited that my wife will be attending her first DT concert ! common001.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 28 2009, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 28 2009, 11:12 AM)
BTW . . . The new T-shirts are available on the DT website.

http://www.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/...e=Dream+Theater

Tortoise 1287.gif

Awesome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm gonna have to get one before the show

Which show P.C.???

Hey, the new bandana is AWESOME!!! I ordered one for the Bearded One! wink.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 29 2009, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 28 2009, 09:59 PM)

Really? ah crap!

sarcasm.gif

( I know. . . I'm late )

Tortoise 1287.gif

Can't wait. I'm very excited that my wife will be attending her first DT concert ! common001.gif trink39.gif

WOW!!!

That's wonderful, Tick!!!!!! AWESOME!!!

Can't wait to meet her!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

I still need to get around to listening to the whole new album.

However, I had to chime in and say that I popped in Octavarium a few days ago, and have been listening to it in the car all weekend. The album is f'n strong!

It was an album that I bought when it was released, then listened to it once, it didn't really stick with me, so I stored it away. So glad I gave it another chance...because I think it's extremely strong.

What do other DT fans think of Octavarium?? confused13.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 29 2009, 09:08 AM)

However, I had to chime in and say that I popped in Octavarium a few days ago, and have been listening to it in the car all weekend. The album is f'n strong!

It was an album that I bought when it was released, then listened to it once, it didn't really stick with me, so I stored it away. So glad I gave it another chance...because I think it's extremely strong.

What do other DT fans think of Octavarium??  confused13.gif

It's pretty amazing, even the slow songs pack a punch. The title track is one of my favorite songs they've ever done that I've heard.

"These Walls" is a killer track.

EDIT: If you liked that album you should get the Score DVD from the 20th anniversary tour. Awesome set list that includes many O8 songs, the entire 42 minute Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (song), Metropolis, The Spirit Carries On, etc. Plus Jame's voice is a lot stronger than it was on Live at Budokan.

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 29 2009, 10:08 AM)

It was the first thing I had ever heard from DT. I became a fanatic after that. I think most know how much I love this band ! 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 29 2009, 10:08 AM)

Although I'm not a fan, for the most part, 8VM is the best release with Rudess. I think it is because of the continuum he uses on it. It really opened up what he could do.