Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 29 2009, 08:08 AM)
I still need to get around to listening to the whole new album.

However, I had to chime in and say that I popped in Octavarium a few days ago, and have been listening to it in the car all weekend. The album is f'n strong!

It was an album that I bought when it was released, then listened to it once, it didn't really stick with me, so I stored it away. So glad I gave it another chance...because I think it's extremely strong.

What do other DT fans think of Octavarium?? confused13.gif

8varium is probably my second favorite album after SFAM

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 29 2009, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 29 2009, 11:50 AM)
some remixes from the BC & SL disc are being posted over at the MP Forum. some sound pretty cool.

Someone over there mashed up Rite of Passage with Michael Jackson's Thriller.

A Rite of Thriller

common001.gif  common001.gif

This is awesome

If only I used my time so wisely.

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 29 2009, 03:24 PM)
some remixes from the BC & SL disc are being posted over at the MP Forum. some sound pretty cool.

A Rite of Thriller

This is awesome

come on tick i see you over there at mp.com fairly regularly ! have you heard any of the other mixes? i think its impressive what some of those forumers are coming up with. the link to the "sanctioned" thread follows

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2349931.aspx

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 29 2009, 04:48 PM)

A Rite of Thriller

This is awesome

come on tick i see you over there at mp.com fairly regularly ! have you heard any of the other mixes? i think its impressive what some of those forumers are coming up with. the link to the "sanctioned" thread follows

Tangy, I hope you don't think I meant you. I was refering to the guy who took the time to make that mix.

By the way, do you know anything about the prog 09 replacement bands ?

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 29 2009, 05:04 PM)

We were wondering the very same thing, Tick!

Any info on the two newbies????

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 29 2009, 03:07 PM)

Hare biggrin.gif

Scale the Summit replacing "Beardifsh" is an instrumental prog band from Houston....they sound pretty cool.

Big Elf who is replacing Pain of Salvation is a band from LA, they are a metal/prog/glam rock band

I have listend to some of their stuff on youtube, and they kind of sound like Genesis/King Crimson meets Sabbath meets Bowie...

very cool...... looking foward to seeing them.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 29 2009, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 29 2009, 03:07 PM)

Hare biggrin.gif

Scale the Summit replacing "Beardifsh" is an instrumental prog band from Houston....they sound pretty cool.

Big Elf who is replacing Pain of Salvation is a band from LA, they are a metal/prog/glam rock band

I have listend to some of their stuff on youtube, and they kind of sound like Genesis/King Crimson meets Sabbath meets Bowie...

very cool...... looking foward to seeing them.

Ack...the Big Elf album is tedious, I wasn't impressed. Scale the Summit, I need to check out.

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 29 2009, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 29 2009, 04:48 PM)

A Rite of Thriller

This is awesome

Tangy, I hope you don't think I meant you. I was refering to the guy who took the time to make that mix.

no, i did not think it was directed at me.

i made a scale the summit thread last week after they announced the change and put in some links to what i considered to be good songs. i had never heard of these guys before but they seem good. going to bump that thread after this post. kinda like LTE in that it is intense instrumental music.

My Black Clouds box set arrived today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My, it's pretty!

Loving the album.

One thing though, the double vinyl didn't come with an actual cover, just individual inner sleeves. Am I missing an outer sleeve? Or is the velvet box the sleeve.......

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 30 2009, 10:53 AM)

Loving the album.

One thing though, the double vinyl didn't come with an actual cover, just individual inner sleeves. Am I missing an outer sleeve? Or is the velvet box the sleeve.......

No silver ticket? (for a meet and greet)

Did anyone get one of those?

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 30 2009, 12:53 PM)

Loving the album.

Thats what came in my box set too, so I just assume that the black velvet box is the cover confused13.gif

And no silver ticket for me sad.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 30 2009, 09:29 AM)

Do you think that it was intentional that BC & SL were released the tuesday after fathers day?

Wow ohmy.gif I never thought of that!

You should start a thread on MP's forums and see if he answers laugh.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 30 2009, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 30 2009, 12:53 PM)

Loving the album.

Thats what came in my box set too, so I just assume that the black velvet box is the cover confused13.gif

And no silver ticket for me sad.gif

Thanks for getting back to me!

Playing the covers cd, Stargazer & the 3 Queen covers are pretty good!

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 1 2009, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 1 2009, 09:08 AM)
DT lands in the US Top Ten!    #6!

Congratulations are in order- http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2357900.aspx

Ugghh. Look at their company. 062802puke_prv.gif

No kidding. I get sick of seeing that Black Eyed Peas album cover whenever I get on iTunes.

Portnoy won best live performer in Drum magazine

1022.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jul 1 2009, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 1 2009, 11:08 AM)
DT lands in the US Top Ten!    #6!

Congratulations are in order- http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2357900.aspx

ohmy.gif

Way to go DT!!!!! biggrin.gif

Farking Awesome..

Mike mentioned that this is certaintly a rare occasion for an album with 4 of it's 6 tracks over 10 minutes in length..

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

I have never been a Dream Theater fan, but I picked up the latest CD, "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" just to hear some new stuff. I am totally blown away. What a great album. The Count of Tuscany is a masterpiece. I love it!

I have only had the CD for a couple days now and haven't really given the entire album a listen - I am stuck on Count of Tuscany right now. I am currently digesting this song, which is like eating a 9 1/2 lb steak. MMmm, and it tastes good.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Portnoy, although I think the guy is really talented. It just isn't my favorite style of percussion work. too much double bass drum for me. But, the music composition is just a delight to hear. Jordan Rudess is the new Rick Wakeman IMO. The guy is THAT good.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jul 1 2009, 05:55 PM)
I have never been a Dream Theater fan, but I picked up the latest CD, "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" just to hear some new stuff. I am totally blown away. What a great album. The Count of Tuscany is a masterpiece. I love it!

I have only had the CD for a couple days now and haven't really given the entire album a listen - I am stuck on Count of Tuscany right now. I am currently digesting this song, which is like eating a 9 1/2 lb steak. MMmm, and it tastes good.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Portnoy, although I think the guy is really talented. It just isn't my favorite style of percussion work. too much double bass drum for me. But, the music composition is just a delight to hear. Jordan Rudess is the new Rick Wakeman IMO. The guy is THAT good.

Its a great disc and I am leaning towards to thinking it is the best DT disc of the Rudess era. From a lyric perspective, I have not connected emotionally as hard to a DT song, namely The Best of Times since A Change of Seasons.

28 days and counting to my PN 2009 date! 1022.gif cool10.gif common001.gif