Doctor Who

JohnRogers

Can I skip ahead bypassing Christopher Eccleston going directly to David Tennant? I found the first episode of Eccleston’s doctor too campy. 

I know almost zero aboot Doctor Who.

15 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Can I skip ahead bypassing Christopher Eccleston going directly to David Tennant? I found the first episode of Eccleston’s doctor too campy. 

It's all pretty campy.

I got pretty into it during Peter Capaldi's run though. He and Clara were great together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackhawkrush said:

You should go back and watch the classics first. Tom Baker (4th Doctor) immediately comes to mind. 

My streaming service starts with Eccleston. I’d like to sample a Baker episode sometime. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

My streaming service starts with Eccleston. I’d like to sample a Baker episode sometime. 

I know Dailymotion has old Doctors, but that site is notorious for its quality in streaming. It might still be worth a try. 

On 1/30/2024 at 6:26 PM, JohnRogers said:

I'd argue Tennant is a bit more campy than Eccleston so buckle up

2 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Classic Who is more campy, Friday the 13th campy. Most of the characters die in the end.  

2 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

1 hour ago, blackhawkrush said:

Classic Who is more campy, Friday the 13th campy. Most of the characters die in the end.  

Maybe I’m just not meant to be a Whovian? 

I enjoyed Eccelston as The Doctor but David Tennant is definitely my favorite followed by Tom Baker. It's all pretty campy but there's also a lot of crazy fun as well with some solid drama mixed in.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I don't know yet if I like the new face.  Maybe after a couple of episodes I'll warm up to him.  He certainly brings his own game - that's for sure.

Like grep I'm still undecided about the new Who although the change has certainly revitalised the show. 

With regard to favourite eras I'm afraid I'm a bit of an old dinosaur and go with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker as my two faves. In recent times I really liked David Tennant in the role. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, grep said:

I don't know yet if I like the new face.  Maybe after a couple of episodes I'll warm up to him.  He certainly brings his own game - that's for sure.

I think he's a big step up from Jodie, but that's more due to the writing improving. Ncuti hasn't had a moment where he ignores his friend revealing they were worried about cancer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zepphead said:

Like grep I'm still undecided about the new Who although the change has certainly revitalised the show. 

With regard to favourite eras I'm afraid I'm a bit of an old dinosaur and go with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker as my two faves. In recent times I really liked David Tennant in the role. 

I'm pretty much aligned with you. Tom Baker was my first doctor - watching Who on a staticky UHF channel in the 80's.

Modern Who it's both Matt and David for me, and frankly - I think McGann had a great incarnation too.   I know...more than one fave.  It's hard to not like them all.

3 hours ago, grep said:

I'm pretty much aligned with you. Tom Baker was my first doctor - watching Who on a staticky UHF channel in the 80's.

"You can't count, Count"  

Maybe check out the episode Flatline. It's one from Peter Capaldi's doctor, and it was the episode that got me into Doctor Who after I caught it at random on BBC America.

It's a solid stand alone episode with a fun Sci Fi premise, and a lot of good companion/doctor characterisation.

It typically doesn't make lists of all time great episodes, but to me, it was my favorite kind of Doctor Who episode.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, grep said:

Modern Who it's both Matt and David for me, and frankly - I think McGann had a great incarnation too.   I know...more than one fave.  It's hard to not like them all.

Being of a certain age and living in the UK, I go all the way back to William Hartnell. DW was staple viewing on a Saturday evening. (In fairness, we had very few alternative channels in those days.) For some reason the Cybermen gave me nightmares as a kid. 

When Jon Pertwee came along (plus the onset of raging hormones) I had a big thing for companion Jo Grant (Katy Manning.) 

Something about the early '70s mini skirts and long boots!! 

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, zepphead said:

Being of a certain age and living in the UK, I go all the way back to William Hartnell. DW was staple viewing on a Saturday evening. (In fairness, we had very few alternative channels in those days.) For some reason the Cybermen gave me nightmares as a kid. 

When Jon Pertwee came along (plus the onset of raging hormones) I had a big thing for companion Jo Grant (Katy Manning.) 

Yeah Jo Grant was HOT! And she always wore sexy outfits.

For me though Doctor Who dropped off a cliff when Tom Baker finished his run. The Doctors after that were not up to scratch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zepphead said:

It still works today.  :)

Elisabeth Sladen was a doll.  Such a sad loss.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 5:59 PM, grep said:

It still works today.  :)

Elisabeth Sladen was a doll.  Such a sad loss.

Josephine 'Jo' Grant-Day of the Daleks – The Ultimate Guide to the fashion  of Doctor Who

• Like 3

On 2/7/2024 at 6:05 AM, zepphead said:

I can do without the boots. :whipgirl:How about Polly and Victoria?   :wub:

Edited by blackhawkrush
  • Like 2

I bailed halfway through the Christopher Eccleston episode World War Three. I don't think this is for me.

2 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

The early Doctor Who was fab. From Hartnell to McCoy it was great. Thereafter, shite.

Agreed about the classic Doctors, but I wouldn't go as far as McCoy. He was totally unlikable, and the stories were badly edited. 

• Like 1